Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: New Cell tower going up a block from my dads (pic)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North Iowa
    Posts
    251
    Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0

    New Cell tower going up a block from my dads (pic)

    I'm out and visiting Las Vegas at my Dad's..well I went out to eat and this tower was in front of me when I stopped at the stop sign, so knowning me, I went and ate real quick and came back and the guys were still there... sure enough.. new Cingular tower going up and will be complete with the palm tree thing eventually. Said that both 850 TDMA? and GSM 1900 were going up. Also of course UMTS on the new tower. He was contracted out from Utah (didn't get the name, I beleive he was from Cedar City though) and said sometimes he goes as far as Missouri! Also said he puts up towers for all the majors and is an ex-Western Wireless regional manager. Pretty interesting none the less.. said it was for capacity issues as I had 4 bars right underneath the tower. He also had just finished a couple months working on putting up new Edge Wireless towers in Idaho. Next tower he is putting up will be along I-15 near Primm, NV. apparently there are capacity issues all along I-15. I spent 40 mins. being my geeky self talking to this guy!

    Pic:



    Also if you look real close there is a what he believes Sprint tower that is brown right behind it and to the left. Said total cost for Cingular is about $150-200k for that size of tower!
    Last edited by iowacingular; 04-19-2006 at 09:14 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    837
    Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve (Personal)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by iowacingular
    I'm out and visiting Las Vegas at my Dad's..well I went out to eat and this tower was in front of me when I stopped at the stop sign, so knowning me, I went and ate real quick and came back and the guys were still there... sure enough.. new Cingular tower going up and will be complete with the palm tree thing eventually. Said that both 850 TDMA? and GSM 1900 were going up. Also of course UMTS on the new tower. He was contracted out from Utah (didn't get the name, I beleive he was from Cedar City though) and said sometimes he goes as far as Missouri! Also said he puts up towers for all the majors and is an ex-Western Wireless regional manager. Pretty interesting none the less.. said it was for capacity issues as I had 4 bars right underneath the tower. He also had just finished a couple months working on putting up new Edge Wireless towers in Idaho. Next tower he is putting up will be along I-15 near Primm, NV. apparently there are capacity issues all along I-15. I spent 40 mins. being my geeky self talking to this guy!

    Pic:



    Also if you look real close there is a what he believes Sprint tower that is brown right behind it and to the left. Said total cost for Cingular is about $150-200k for that size of tower!

    I always have good signal strength around Primm. On my last drive to vegas I checked my signal about 10 - 15 times, everytime I had max bars.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,205
    Device(s)
    Function : *Sony Ericsson W810i* (R4EA031)
    Carrier(s)
    *T-Mobile* Get More!
    Feedback Score
    0
    that is a wussy tower lol its so short, i bet it doesnt radiate very far.. the towers are tall in my city

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North Iowa
    Posts
    251
    Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    I always have good signal strength around Primm. On my last drive to vegas I checked my signal about 10 - 15 times, everytime I had max bars.
    Yeah, coverage is fine, this is just purely for capacity to handle more calls.

    that is a wussy tower lol its so short, i bet it doesnt radiate very far.. the towers are tall in my city
    The coverage is fine here already.. 4-5 bars where the new tower is. They just needed more capacity. They don't need a huge 200 ft. tower for most metro areas.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    7,898
    Feedback Score
    0
    I wish 1900mhz was on all cingular towers in my area.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,207
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Cool. Thanks for sharing the pic.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Greater Hartford, CT
    Posts
    12,049
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by iowacingular
    Yeah, coverage is fine, this is just purely for capacity to handle more calls.
    Don't do they usually add more spectrum or T1 trunking to an existing site, when more capacity is needed? I find it odd they where adding another tower in your area when you already had 4 to 5 bars from a tower close by.
    Last edited by drc72; 04-20-2006 at 03:21 PM.
    Hartford, CT Area

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    7,905
    Device(s)
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Carrier(s)
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by drc72
    Don't do they usually add more spectrum or T1 trunking to an existing site, when more capacity is needed? I find it odd they where adding another tower in your area when you already had 4 to 5 bars from a tower close by.
    If they divide an area up into more cells they can reuse the spectrum a greater number of times - hence more capacity. Of course, they may need to adjust power down a lot so the new smaller cells don't effectively overlap.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    NIMbY Land
    Posts
    19,192
    Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Speed limit 5 MPH, whats that about? I don't think I could drive that slow unless it for tower speed!

Bookmarks