Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: W600i loose, wobbly swivel home repair

Carrier
    Your mom
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

W600i loose, wobbly swivel home repair

I would like to repair the wobble myself, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience performing this type of repair. I am trying to avoid having to send it to the SE service center. Thanks in advance.

Carrier
    Your mom
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

W600i loose swivel fix in 30min

Fixed the loose swivel myself to avoid SE service center. Not too hard if youv'e already taken a few phones apart. Used 2mm flathead (for prying), T6, and phillips POZI #00. Nothing comes loose except for joystick keypad under the LCD, so you don't have to worry about parts flying everywhere. Just lots of screws, some hidden, and very gentle prying! The problem wound up being the 4 black, (NOT silver) phillips screws that actually attach the swivel to the top (LCD) half of the phone. The swivel is now solid as a rock, good as new! Went through every fuction manually and the >*<<*<* service test with no problems. Besides, I figured if I broke the phone trying to fix it , then it would give me an excellent reason to get a W810i !

Phones
    Pantech Ocean
    Samsung D600
    Sony Ericsson W600i
    Carrier
    Helio
    Feedback Score
    duuude. u would be my hero if u taught me. plz. teach me. msg back and THANX in adv!!!!

Carrier
    Your mom
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    DISCLAIMER: Any repair on a Sony Ericsson phone should be done by a qualified Sony Ericsson technician I take absolutely no responsibility for anyone damaging their phone, PERFORM THIS PROCEDURE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Tools needed: small flathead and phillips jewelers screwdrivers, torx T6, a pair of tweezers would help for screw placement. I performed this procedure sitting at a well lighted desk and used a white tablecloth.

Remove batterycover, battery, and sim card. Swivel phone open, and use T6 to remove 4 screws housed around the battery compartment. Be careful because lower housing will start to seperate!

GENTLY pry up the wide U shaped grey plastic piece under the numeric keypad, I pried at the ends of the U, because that is the area that appeared to have the most useful gap for prying. It is affixed to housing with sticky tape only.

Once that is removed, remove 2 screws that were revealed. Once all 6 screws are removed the top and lower half of lower housing will still be held together by 2 tabs inside the housing at the 4 and 6 area of the keypad. GENTLY push down and inward at 6 area and the 2 halves of lower housing should separate, and the 2 halves of lower housing will be held together by a braided wire connection only. BE GENTLE!

Located on the underside of keypad half of housing in the upper and lower area of the braided wire are 2 small silver struts (bars) each with 2 phillips screws attaching them. remove all 4 screws and 2 struts. Take note that one of the struts has a tab to keep clear swivel bushing in place!

Removal of both struts will seperate the keypad half of lower housing from the top (LCD) part of housing.You should now have access to the underside of the LCD half of phone.

On the underside of LCD half of phone there are 4 black phillips screws attaching swivel mechanism to the phone, TIGHTEN 4 black phillips screws, swivel should now be tight with no wobble! Put everything back together, assembly is reverse of disassembly.

This procedure sounds much more complicated than it really is, it should be fairly quick, I wasted some time disassembling the top (LCD) half of phone first, not knowing that I didn't need to!

Hope I didn't forget anything!
    Good Luck!

Phones
    Pantech Ocean
    Samsung D600
    Sony Ericsson W600i
    Carrier
    Helio
    Feedback Score
    thank u so much. i am planning on performing this procedure tomorrow. I will msg back in this forum with my results, thanx again. -carlan600i

Phones
    Pantech Ocean
    Samsung D600
    Sony Ericsson W600i
    Carrier
    Helio
    Feedback Score
    any tips on using the torx? 20 minutes....got one srew out im getting close to stripping one of them.

Phones
    Pantech Ocean
    Samsung D600
    Sony Ericsson W600i
    Carrier
    Helio
    Feedback Score
    i got three screws out and the last one is stripped to death is there anything to use to get it out besides the torx now???

Carrier
    Your mom
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don't be in a hurry! Use firm pressure, and go slow!

Carrier
    Your mom
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry to hear you stripped one. I know there are specialty bits for stripped screws, but I don't know if there is one for such a small screw. I don't know what area your in, but you might try Fry's Electronics, or Radio Shack. Try searching the forums or maybe someone from the forums can help with this??

Phones
    Pantech Ocean
    Samsung D600
    Sony Ericsson W600i
    Carrier
    Helio
    Feedback Score
    thanx....(both of those stores i live by and my brother works at fry's) but i just got finished.....well uhhhhhh drilling tht last screw out. i gona have to buy another screw like tht one screw but it back together oh well and believe it or not i finally got it open..still in the middle of the process and hopefully none of the vibrations from the drill messed with any of the internal hadware...

Phones
    Pantech Ocean
    Samsung D600
    Sony Ericsson W600i
    Carrier
    Helio
    Feedback Score
    ...wow prying the antenna is tough....grrrrr

Phones
    Pantech Ocean
    Samsung D600
    Sony Ericsson W600i
    Carrier
    Helio
    Feedback Score
    oops wrong part. ive mistaken the "u shape" for the antenna...

Carrier
    Your mom
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don't bother with Radio Shack, stopped by one already while running errands, and they have a ridiculously slim tool selection. Fry's would probably carry the replacement screw. I commend you on being able to perform the delicate drilling operation without damage! I figured that for a serious last resort! The rest of the procedure should be simple! I'll check back in a few to see how your doing.

Phones
    Pantech Ocean
    Samsung D600
    Sony Ericsson W600i
    Carrier
    Helio
    Feedback Score
    ok. finished. i have to say im very surprised EVERYTHING works fine. the swivel is like new. but i had a tough time, yes a TOUGH time. since i drilled one of them it left sum space between the two halves of the bottom part...which means the "1, 4, 7, *" row is a little low, but its fine. although it banged my phone around...i still thank u for the help and not having to wait for sony to do it, and pay them. peace out.

Carrier
    Your mom
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry about the "U shape" mix up, I should have specified that I wasn't referring to the antenna.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast