Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: My Motorola L7 SLVR Review

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

My Motorola L7 SLVR Review

I've been using an L7 with Rogers retail SW applied on it for the better part of 2 weeks now and would like to throw up my thoughts. I'm awaiting a full retail L7 to finish up and will post if i notice any differences between the units.

http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wire...=L7R&summary=1

Reception:
    The L7 Slvr didn't fail me. It was actually quite good in all my testing. Cantina was no problem, and Driving test went off quite well. Most importantly, the L7sounded great while doing it.

The infamous drive* test was not that much of a challenge for the L7, truth be told. I left myself several nonsense messages in my VM while driving along the various routes of the drive test to play them back from a landline. The messages I left myself, while gibberish, were clearly heard. More importantly the voice quality was good, and the message came through nice and clean as opposed to the message and the background noises like other competitors.

Furthermore, I let a few others, like Spic and gadgetmon listen to the messages. And they were equally impressed with the fact that the messages came through without any breakup's or jiggled audio.

*The drive by test is:
    Yonge and 16th, east on 16th to woodbine. North on woodbine to 19th. West on 19th to Yonge. North on Yonge to Bloomington. East on bloomington to Bayview. South on bayview to Stouffville sideroad. East on Stoufville sideroad to Leslie and Leslie back to the Hill.

The L7 really did well for the RF portion of the review.
    the antenna of the L7 is located at the bottom of the phone, as denoted by the LNB jack still there for external car antenna kits

Sound Quality

Incoming
    The L7 features decent incoming quality and loudness. Of course, if you're not happy with the stock level you can always seem them anyway, but I was more then happy with the volume levels on the earpiece. The L7 does have a sweet spot though, it'll take a few times but after that you'll know exactly where to position it.

outgoing
    The outgoing volume and quality of the L7 is excellent. The Mic is placed down low, but is still flush to the surface. So, if you touch the phone to your face you will get muffles like the S710a did. However, i don't hold phones to my face so this wasn't an issue. The Mic is very well balanced. It's not to sensitive where you come through way louder then you actually are, but it's not lacking to the point where it dulls the audio in general. I found the outgoing qualities of the L7 to be very well weighted and an all around great phone for this.

Camera
    Unlike the V3i, the L7 features a VGA camera. it's standard faire and is of the same quality of previous moto VGA cams. If you're looking for a camera phone, the L7 isn't for you. Then again, the L7 was never geared nor targetted towards the camera phone segments.

The L7 will also do Vids, as per the norm but lacks a flash

here are some random pics from the cam

sweet sweet Jenna

External Memory
    The L7 features MicroSD (Formerly Transflash) memory. In the box you'll get a 512 meg card. This can be used to store media and iTUNES music.

The memory is also Hot swap.

iTUNES

The L7 features iTUNES on the unit as well.
    The Rogers L7 will come packaged with a USB cable, 512 MicroSD card, Stereo headset with handsfree, USB to 3.5" adaptor for your own headsets.

implementation
    The iTUNES implementation is pretty close to that of an actual IPOD save for the touch sensitive wheel, and, 100 song limit. (apparently there's a crack now for 1000 songs, see moto forum) The 512 megs is a decent size to throw your must have tunes on there and have them accessible. I was at a barbeque over the weekend and we actually played the L7's iTUNES on random while we sat around consuming various meats and alchohol products

If you already own an ipod, you may want to set iTUNES to manual. Otherwise, when you connect the L7 it'll want to put all your songs from your library onto the L7. Clearly it won't fit.

the L7 also appears to still be USB 1.1 as loading songs really takes much longer then loading onto an iPOD using usb 2.0. i'm talking about a signficant decrease in speed here comparing loading times of the L7 to any IPOD.

The actual iTUNES implementation is decent, but it's very slow at times, and lags. Having an ipod myself, I can say the L7 would never replace it. however, if you don' thave an ipod and are looking at a converged device the L7 may work. Unlesss of course you don't like iTUNES.

The itunes tracks are also not able to be used as ringtunes.
    any MP3's saved on the card can't be used as ringtunes, actually. You'll have to copy that tune over to the phone. Clearly this should be changed and addressed in newer moto releases since every other manufacturer seems to have the ability of saving MP3's on media cards and still using them as ringers etc etc

headphones
    The included headphones for the iTUNES and headset use is actually quite good for a packaged set. they sound decent and when making a call the outgoing call quality was also decent. it's a little off, but unless you tell your callers you're on a headset I really don't think they'll know

Connectivity
    Bluetooth
    The L7 features Moto's tried and true bluetooth implementations. since nothhing has changed i'm gonna copy from previous reviews:

The L7 features the tried and true motorola bluetooth system love it or leave it.
    It's bluetooth 1.1 as well. 1 connection.

The L7 and subsequently Motorola's, bluetooth system can be left on without fear of being seen by other devices since the phone has to be put into a "find me" mode first.
    Nothing much has changed though in terms of BT implementation on the L7. It's the same system and same setup as the RAZR and V551/V635/V360

mini USB
    The L7 has also changed from the older V600/V551 based tooth connector to the standard mini-USB connector found on the RAZR. As a result you can also use mini-USB cables to connect to the PC. Since the V360 has a mini-USB connector, and a MicroSD card slot it will act as a virtual drive when there's a memory card present and connected to a pc. However, it must be noted, that in settings/connection/USB settings you must have this set to "memory card" if you wish to access the memory card as a drive. If you wish to use Motorola Phone tools you need to switch this option to Data/Fax connection.

MicroSD
    Of course, the L7 has MicroSD memory and comes with a 512 meg card in the box as well as a cable.

BT pairings
    Operating in a similar way to the V635/V3/V360 has it's advantages. Namely, the L7 can have it's Bluetooth turned on all the time and other's can't see you (similar to SE's Bluetooth implementation of "hidden") what does that mean to you? you can leave BT on all the time and use it with your headsets/PC's/PDA's/carkits and never have to worry about being "bluejacked" or "bluesnarfed" as others just won't see you when they scan.

headset use
    the L7 still has that quirk where when using a BT headset it'll default to the "continental" ringtone and SMS defaults to the one beep.

I still don't like the Motorola/Nokia way of headset use compared to SE though. If I get an incoming call, and press SEND on the handset, logically, i'd want the phone to pick up, not the headset. I can see both sides of this argument though where some users feel that the headset is a physical extension of the phone, and as such a BT headset should act the same way as a corded headset considering a corded headset you can press send/end on the phone and it'll control the call.

the headset and the inabliity to play MP3 Ringtones is getting a bit old though. If you can't have the phone play the MP3 tune in the headset, then do like SE and make the headset beep, while the phone plays the regular MP3 ringtones etc etc etc. I would prefer the ringtone not to change when I turn on my BT headset.

Aesthetics
    Clearly the L7 SLVR contines on in motorola's fabulous industrial thin design. It's a looker. However, the quality of the build is also top notch. The materials all work together very well and the keypad, while cramped and often hard to use, looks great when that blue backlight turns on.
    The Fit and Finish of this phone is excellent. From the back battery cover to the rubber cover that closes up the MicroSD slot. Everything is well designed and implemented. The L7 is a bit on the heavy side, which i applaud. After all, isn't that the point of a metal phone?

Keypad
    The keypad, while looking nice, isn't all that great if you're a heavy texter. I sms a LOT and as a result the L7 keypad just isn't for me. I found I was often missing buttons and pressing 2 at a time sometimes. This isn't because I have man hands either, so don't think i have treetrunks. LOL.

Screen
    The screen is great. Typical from motorola TFT units. The only catch is that outside in the sun it takes a beating having no reflective abilities.

Email
    The L7 has an Email client, it also supports SSL connections as well which is what I use currently. It's the typical moto Email client and works well.

Battery
    Aside from the good RF and quality build how does the phone actually last?...
    the battery life on the L7 is decent. I get a day out of it easy. When a BT headset is connected the battery life takes a bit of a hit though, as expected. however I still managed a full day out of it so no complaints from me.

Ratings:
    Performance..........................8
    Build Quality..........................10
    Battery Life............................8
    Features...............................8
    Software..............................5 Motorola really needs a change here
    Bluetooth..............................6
    Keypad.................................6
    Camera.................................6

Overall....................7.5

Great phone, but getting to "been there done that" with the UI

PRO's
    *Excellent RF
    *Excellent build qualities
    *Excellent build materials
    *Great call volumes
    *Great sound qualities in/out
    *Mini USB connector
    *Moto shortcuts, still infinitely customizable
    *Great backlighting on keypad
    *Email client with SSL

CON's
    *Lack of EDGE
    *VGA cam still
    *screen takes beating outside
    *Same moto phonebook
    *Same slow moto UI
    *MP3's still unable to be used while saved on MicroSD card
    *BT headset ringtune still present

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile 5gb
    Feedback Score
    Which box does the Rogers version get? Sexy white one? or not

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B0000rt
    Which box does the Rogers version get? Sexy white one? or not
    still waiting stock to come in to confirm

Device(s)
    Unlocked 16 GB iPhone (1.1.4)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Great review! Thanks! I'm planning on getting an L7 when my local Rogers Plus store in Calgary receives them.

I'm glad they included a usb to 3.5mm. Did you try to use different headphones and using the adapter? Is there a loss in sound quality?

Also, does iTunes show the cover art of a song if the song has been tagged with cover art in iTunes?

Thanks once again!

Feedback Score
    whats the ETA for dealers to recieve them

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    The One I Work For
    Feedback Score
    Great review Treatz, and guy i hope you still have the message, it was so freakin funny!
    Check My FeedBack
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...threadid=76298

Nokia: 5190, 8260, 3390, 8390, 3590, 3595, 3650, 6230b(x4), 6260, 6620, 6131, E50, 6300(x2), 6120c
    Motorola: V60i, V70, V190, RAZR(x2), V3t, K1
    Panasonic: GU87e, GD88, GD55, A100
    Sony Ericsson: T68i(x2), Z600, K700i, P900i(x2), S710, Z520a, W600i, W810i, W300i(x2), K790a
    Samsung: T809
    LG: TG800 Chocolate
    RIM: 8700, 8100(x2)

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless-Canadas Best GSM Network-
    Feedback Score
    Great review
    Almost made me change my mind, but I'm gonna hold off on this one, unless I find one at a really great price. It's the cam, phonebook and BT ringstyles that did it in for me.
    Will have to wait for a V3i review

Moderator-->SlowFo!!<-- SlowFo-->A Product of HoFo for Farsiders by Farsiders!
    Administrator-->Vxxx Stuff<-- Free Walls, Tones, 3GPs and Info!
    My wee bit of feedback
    Come Visit The Farside!

Device(s)
    •—Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    ◄ Fido ►
    Feedback Score
    Great review Treatz, thx.

As I've been saying as of late, I really like Motorola's....until I turn them on.

I often wonder how all those RAZR owners are faring with their phones, whether it has enough features for them, whether it still performs well (for them), and whether they're still satisfied basically...

If they are, then this is probably the perfect upgrade for them

I'm definitely interested in analyzing the performance of this phone against the competitors like w810i, w600i, T609 and v3i.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are strictly my own.

Device(s)
    SE W810i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    as always, great review.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Another great review Treatz.

Gotta agree with that build quality comment. First think I noticed when you handed me your tester.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson Xperia X1i (HTC Kovsky)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers (Canada) | Vodaphone (Australia) | M1 (Singapore) | AIS One-2-Call (Thailand) | AT&T (USA)
    Feedback Score
    treatz once again you've out done yourself...awesome review man!

just one thing...why did you tarnish your review by showing a picture of a Moto C series phone taken with the SLVR...for shame little man...for shame!

Carrier(s)
    Fido... I mean rogers...whatever it's all the same
    Feedback Score
    Great review...hopefully soon (july 1st ) u'll be able to review rogers and fido phone... I would love your input of the L2 at Fido

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Great review, althoug I'm still not convinced about this. For everyone else, my Rogers said they'll be receiving the V3i and SLVR on Friday. So i'll be there ASAP. I want to try the 6682 as well.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Excellent review Treatz!! Hmm, now you got me thinking about getting a SLVR instead of the V3i.

BTW, nice Superman wallpaper, but mine is better than yours.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    good review as usual
    looks like you may have a lot to do if you're going to do the whole new lineup

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast