Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: My Samsung T609 Review:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

My Samsung T609 Review:

I've been using the Samsung T609 for about 2 weeks now as my main line and would like to put up it's review.

I am using a Rogers Retail unit
    http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wire...609R&summary=1

so let's get this party started

Reception
    Like the P207 before it, the T609 is excellent. The phone works and it works well.
    I took it on the "famous" driving* test and had no issues. None. Fellow Hofo Member Spic was even present on one of these tests just by pure luck, and witnessed the amazing abilities of the T609. No frame errors, no burps. Nothing. Clean audio the whole time.

I even tried the poor area on 19th and Bayview by the train tracks and the phone worked fine. The T609 almost laughed at me, "what, that's all you got" was the taunt.

*The drive by test is:
    Yonge and 16th, east on 16th to woodbine. North on woodbine to 19th. West on 19th to Yonge. North on Yonge to Bloomington. East on bloomington to Bayview. South on bayview to Stouffville sideroad. East on Stoufville sideroad to Leslie and Leslie back to the Hill.

Sound Quality
    Incoming
    The T609 is a decent phone. Volume is good once you find that sweet spot and the callers sound natural and clear

outgoing
    The outgoing soundquality of the phone is very good. The mic is perfectly positioned right in the bottom/centre of the phone and works well with the coutours of the face. My face anyway. As a result the outgoing audio is clear and loud. Nobody complained about it and this is always a good sign

Camera
    The T609 is a 1.3mpix MP3 phone. and while camera's are more and more common place, the camera on the T609 is actually decent. Take a look at the attached pics

The man, finally one with the seeg

Ford in Oakville while heading out the the Meet @ Shaolinmonk's

night shot. pitch dark using W600's let light at a range of 2 feet

LIke the P207 the T609 offers a few pretty cool camera effects:

Effects
    *none
    *black & white
    *Negative
    *Sepia
    *Emboss
    *Sketch

Timer for self portraits etc etc
    3/5/10 seconds

Video
    the Phone also supports Video recording as well and is like all other Vid phones with a 176 x 144 resolution on the video.

Aesthetics
    The T609 has a nice clean look. Personally I am a fan of the unit.
    It's got clean lines and feels solidly built. The phone itself is very light as well. To many this can denote a "cheap" feel, but i disagree. I feel that the quality of the construction speaks for itself and there is that satisfying thump when you close the clam.

internal screen
    The T609's screen is a very nice unit. It's visible in direct sunlight and has good colour and brightness. Then again, screens have never been an issue with Samsung as they often put out some of the best.

External Screen
    The external screen is a blue display. Putting out basic information. The external screen has very good contrast and is easily read in all lighting conditions.

Keypad
    The Keypad on the T609 is great. The keys are well laid out. They're seperate keys, and provide good tactile feel. It's also a good phone for SMS if you're one to SMS a lot based on the good feel of the keypad

Battery
    the T609 isn't strong on the battery life front, unfortunately. without using bluetooth I was only able to manage a day (9am to 12 am roughly) with moderate usage, some BT files and about 1 hours worth of calls.
    This batter life gets worse if you're one to use BT headsets though. Leaving a BT headset connected and using it I had the phone warn of low batter at around 6pm.

Ringtones
    Unfortunately, the T609 does not run ringtones that are saved on the MicroSD card. however, if you try to select a tone on the card as a ringtone, the phone will prompt you "copy to phone and set as ringtone"

There also appears to be a limitation of size of MP3.
    anything higher then 500k just gives an error that the file is to big

The SMS tone can not be assigned to MP3 tones either. just the presets.

VoiceSignal
    Making it's return is the voicesignal technology. However, missing is the ability to dictate SMS. This isn't a big concern though as it rarely worked in the P207. However, the abilities to dictate commands and names to dial without having to pre-record or train is an amazing thing on this phone. With a BT headset is makes operatoin a breese. Press the headset button, phone says "say a command" and you tell it what to to. "call work" and it calls work etc etc etc.

the only thing I miss is the dedicated voicesignal button on the T609. The p207 had it and Fido's D407 also has it so why it's missing on the T609 is strange. I also checked the manual and there is no softkey, or ability to map it to a button. You have to press menu 6 / 5 if you're not using a BT headset.

External memory / MP3
    The T609 includes a 512meg MicroSD (formerlly transflash) memory card in the box. As is should since it's being billed as an "MP3 phone"
    The card is hotswappable and loads up quickly.

MP3
    The phone features a 512meg card, as well as stereo headphone which double as your cellular phone headset. the headphones are solid build quality, like the phone, but are a bit heavy or my liking as they were often falling out of my years.

the MP3 player itself is a decent app. It supports playlists but it quite basic. IF you're looking for a simple MP3 player without a whole lot of widgets like EQ's and bass bost etc etc etc, the T609 will fit the bill. However, volume in the headphones wasn't exactly gonna blow my eardrums. I'm sure this is done on purpose though as to avoid lawsuits.

Connectivity
    I'm very excited to say that unlike previous Samsung products on Rogers, this product is stacked with connectivity options. Bluetooth 2.0 and USB Cable connectivity, check.

Sync
    Out of the box, the T609 includes the Samsung PC Suite. The SW itself is actually a usefull collection of utilities to make using the samsung easy. Not only that, but you can use the cable or bluetooth to connect the T609 to this PC suite. Furthermore, on top of all this the PC Suite actually includes, out of the box, the ability to sync with outlook. Sync with outlook is a huge thing for myself and many users and the T609 comes ready for this without the need for jumping through hoops to get it done. The Sync also lets you custom tailor options as well and you can force a complete sync for those times you wanna make sure that all of the conacts on Outlook go to the phone etc etc etc.

Bluetooth
    The T609 appears to be a bluetooth 2.0 phone. I say this because I had my BT headset connected and was still able to BT files to and from PC's and other phones.
    You can send and receive media easily as well on this unit using BT so no worries there.

Email
    The T609 lacks an Email client, if this is an important feature to you, it's not there.

Ratings:
    Performance............................8
    Build Quality............................10
    Battery Life..............................5
    Features..................................8.75
    Software..................................7
    Bluetooth..................................9
    Keypad.....................................9
    Camera......................................8
    Features for $..........................10

Overall...........................9

A solid contender and a definate step up for Samsung

PRO's
    *Excellent RF
    *Excellent Build quality
    *Excellent incoming/outgoing audio
    *Excellent inner LCD screen
    *Ability to reject calls with clam closed
    *Connectivity options to hang with the big boys
    *VoiceSignal, excellent
    *MicroSD

CON's
    *can't set Ringtones on card
    *Looks may not appeal to all
    *limitation of size of ringtune
    *battery life
    *finish loves fingerprints
    *Lack of customizibility of menu/shortcuts
    *lacks dedicated voicesignal button
    *can't assing MP3 sms tones
    *vibe then ring.. not both at the same time
    Last edited by Treatz; 05-17-2006 at 12:00 AM.

Device(s)
    iHuck
    Carrier(s)
    Cantel AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Good overall score for a little more than an entry level phone, imo.
    Too bad about the non-mp3 sms ringtones.
    How many batteries come out with the retail unit? If its bad battery life, there should be 2 batteries.

Hit me for feedback !!!

I carry a lighter in my back pocket. I'm not a smoker, I just really like certain songs......

Device(s)
    BlackBerry BOLD
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless Canada ●
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Device(s)
    iPhone 5, Nokia Lumia 830, Sharp SH-01G, Nokia Lumia 735
    Carrier(s)
    One2Free (HK), T-Mobile + O2 (UK)
    Feedback Score
    thanks treatz... any significant shutter lag... like after you press the shutter button, it doesn't capture till like a second later?

Device(s)
    iHuck
    Carrier(s)
    Cantel AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chlorine
    thanks treatz... any significant shutter lag... like after you press the shutter button, it doesn't capture till like a second later?
    Yeah I found out that happens on Treatz's t609. Its about 1.5 second delay.
    But it still takes a very good picture....although it didn't help to make that guy in the picture look any better

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson Xperia X1i (HTC Kovsky)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers (Canada) | Vodaphone (Australia) | M1 (Singapore) | AIS One-2-Call (Thailand) | AT&T (USA)
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by huck-guai
    But it still takes a very good picture....although it didn't help to make that guy in the picture look any better
    i noticed that with my friends A920 with bell. i know theres a little comparison between them and we all know that GSM is better, but the shutter does that as well, makes the noise and take the pic a couple seconds after...

Although, the samsung P207 never had the lag though on their pics when the shutter went off or at least i dont recall.

TREATZ, does the leather hand strap come in the box? Someone told me it did and another told me it didnt.

Does it use the same charger as the P207 as i know samsung started comming out with a new charger on their phones as well as the charger port cover? Does it have one?
    Past Phones:
    LG: TG800, TU720, TU915
    Motorola: A1200, C332, C350, K1, T720, U6, V3, V3i, V60, V66, V70, V300, V360, V361, V400, V551, V600, V635i, Z3
    Nokia: 3120b, 3220b, 3390, 5190, 5300b, 6061b, 6101b, 6103b, 6126, 6131, 6133, 6160, 6230b, 7270, 8390, 8801
    Samsung: D606, D820, E316, M620, P207, T609
    Sony Ericsson: T200, T637, W300i, W600i, W710i, W810i, Z200, Z600
    BlackBerry: 8100, 8900, 9700
    Apple: iPhone 3G 8GB, iPhone 3GS 32GB

My Feedback

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile 5gb
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by huck-guai
    Must be a Samsung thing then.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by paolo1185
    i noticed that with my friends A920 with bell. i know theres a little comparison between them and we all know that GSM is better, but the shutter does that as well, makes the noise and take the pic a couple seconds after...

Although, the samsung P207 never had the lag though on their pics when the shutter went off or at least i dont recall.

TREATZ, does the leather hand strap come in the box? Someone told me it did and another told me it didnt.

Does it use the same charger as the P207 as i know samsung started comming out with a new charger on their phones as well as the charger port cover? Does it have one?
    Ya, hand strap is in there and it's the same charger as P207.
    the charger port also has a plastic cover

Dartmouth, NS - Mad Seeg Capital of Atlantic Canada
    Device(s)
    BB Bold
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless, the only PROvider.
    Feedback Score
    I played with a dummy T609 today... and I can't be the only one who found that giant Bluetooth logo on the back of the phone to be really irritating.

Other than that, it's a solid-looking phone. The review has certainly piqued my interest in it, too. Good work, Don Treatz.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    How is the camera in lower lighting conditions?

A LED assist light (flash)is one thing that I would have liked to see on this model

But finally a GSM Samsung on Rogers that packs in the features aswell as great RF and usual good Samsung design

Device(s)
    •—Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    ◄ Fido ►
    Feedback Score
    Nice review.

You address some good points that can really piss ppl off.

Like this
    Quote Originally Posted by treatz
    There also appears to be a limitation of size of MP3.
    anything higher then 500k just gives an error that the file is to big
    Are you kidding me? So would that mean I'd have to go and resave all my 160K and 192K songs to some other format or size cuz they're usually in the 5mb range....?
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are strictly my own.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    good job again treatz
    i wonder what you'll review next

Device(s)
    iPhone IVS | 9900 B0ldTouchDizzle
    Carrier(s)
    The one who pays me to use their service
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Red face wow....that really does sound shocking doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Nice review.

You address some good points that can really piss ppl off.

Like this

Are you kidding me? So would that mean I'd have to go and resave all my 160K and 192K songs to some other format or size cuz they're usually in the 5mb range....?
    Surely even people with the least amount of mp3 exposure know that mp3s just don't habitually keep in the sub 3~5mb range...yet execs and R&D at Samsund didn't clue in to this flaw?

I love the shape of this phone on a plus note.
    300 @ 5pm●5K SMS●Auto Roadside●Unlim Inc●1000LD●R2RLD●VP●6Gb LTDizzle+credits = <$36
    34+|0|0 119+|0|0

Factory Unlocked 5White32gb, GNote2x2, 9900 LNIB Retired, GS3 for Mobi
    i7 920 @ 2.67GHz 9Gb DDR3
    My Wireless LD FAQ., READ IT!!!
    The Jawbone I, photo-review
    Maybe it's time to update this....nahhhhh

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    JP, that's not exactly what he's saying. What he means is if you want to use them as ringtones instead of mp3 music files then you will have to clip them in size to.

If i'm correct, the actual size to use as ringtones is 200kb max and not 500kb as per Treatz's review...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast