Thread: Phone update for new cell towers?

Feedback Score

Phone update for new cell towers?

I was in a corporate store this weekend, and told the rep that my reception isn't that good given newer tower location. She asked whether I have ever had my phone updated for the new cell tower locations. I said I had not in the two years I owned the phone.

I have no idea how these things work. However, why would it take an update to my phone to "see" the new cell tower? The whole marketing behind a cell service is just that -- cell service. You mean to tell me that cell companies put up all these towers to improve reception, but don't tell people they have to get their phone updated via an OTA download?

Seems unlikely. Thoughts?

Phones
    BlackBerry 8100 Pearl (Personal)
    Motorola V188 (Work)
    Samsung Anycall V720 (Korea)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA, SK Telecom (Korea), Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    Your rep mis-informed you.

You don't need an update to see new native Sprint CDMA towers. You need updates to improve roaming coverage. Having said that, you should do it anyway.

Honestly, it would be advisable for you to purchase a new phone.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. That makes way more sense.

As to a new phone, I've been waiting for the new phones to come out over the next month or so.

Here's something you might know the answer to: I get poor reception where I work, but Verizon has repeaters throughout our building. As I'm with Sprint, is there a way to force my phone to roam? It stays on the weak Sprint signal, only shifting to digital roam when I'm in an elevator or in the underground level.

Thanks.

Phone
    LG G3
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Sprint employees are always telling people that bogus story. Any new cell towers put up can be found by any Sprint phone with any PRL.
    Sprint user since 1997

Phones
    Motorola V188 (Work)
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mi_sat
    Thanks. That makes way more sense.

As to a new phone, I've been waiting for the new phones to come out over the next month or so.

Here's something you might know the answer to: I get poor reception where I work, but Verizon has repeaters throughout our building. As I'm with Sprint, is there a way to force my phone to roam? It stays on the weak Sprint signal, only shifting to digital roam when I'm in an elevator or in the underground level.

Thanks.
    On most Sprint phones, including my A900, there is a way to force roaming. If you go to your roaming options, you should have choices like Automatic, Sprint only, and Roaming only.

Phones
    Sanyo SCP-5500L, Apple Iphone4
    Apple Iphone 4
    Carriers
    Sprint Digital PCS / Together with Nextel - Yes you can !!!
    Feedback Score

Phone
    Kyocera
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larryt510
    Sprint employees are always telling people that bogus story.
    Unreal. Where do they find these idiots, Larry? Actually, I'm starting to wonder if they FIND them, or CREATE them with their "training".

They get three or four days of some very simplified* information dump, and they think they are cellular experts.

*I didn't say "dumbed down"! I didn't I didn't I didn't!

Phones
    Motorola V188 (Work)
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hdtvtechno
    Sorry, but what is PRL ?
    Questions like these can be answered by using the "Search" button up top.

Phone
    LG G3
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEngineer
    Unreal. Where do they find these idiots, Larry? Actually, I'm starting to wonder if they FIND them, or CREATE them with their "training".

They get three or four days of some very simplified* information dump, and they think they are cellular experts.

*I didn't say "dumbed down"! I didn't I didn't I didn't!
    Mots sprint store employees know almost nothing about the network or how it operates. I could out-knowledge any of them at the local stores on any subject involving sprint.

Phones
    a920 (back to)
    m610
    Feedback Score
    I could very easily get into a dispute over the validity of their vulgar generalizations about Samsungs.

Phone
    LG G3
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tuolumne
    I could very easily get into a dispute over the validity of their vulgar generalizations about Samsungs.
    Yep I've routinely heard them tell customers that Sanyos get the best reception.

Phone
    Kyocera
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Mots sprint store employees know almost nothing about the network or how it operates. I could out-knowledge any of them at the local stores on any subject involving sprint.

Larry, half the regulars on here could do that!

Feedback Score
    Yep I've routinely heard them tell customers that Sanyos get the best reception.

Good grief. They told me that two years ago, and they said it again this past weekend. You mean to tell me that I can get better reception with another brand? Which one?

Phone
    LG G3
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mi_sat
    Good grief. They told me that two years ago, and they said it again this past weekend. You mean to tell me that I can get better reception with another brand? Which one?
    Today's phones only have very slight differences in reception and you probably won't be able to tell the difference. A few years back Sanyos were thought to be the best but the gap has narrowed and it's pretty much a dead heat now.

Phones
    Motorola V188 (Work)
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    What's funny is, it was proven some time ago that the signal was not different between the phones, but Sanyo used different math to average the signal strength in dBm's, and then translate to bars.