Motorola V635
    Motorola V180
    Carriers
    Sprint (SERO)
    Cingular (LTV5)
    Feedback Score

What is the MMS size limit?

What is the MMS size limit?

I have been trying to send a MMS video to my friend, the video is 302Kb but when I try it says I reach the message size limit.

My phone is the V635

Phones
    Wizard/8125
    Moto V3
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Make sure that the video was recorded in MMS format.
    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things.

Don't try to act hardcore with the keyboard.
    Fighting online is like racing in the special olympics;
    even if you win,
    you're still retarded.

Phones
    Sprint (HTC) Mogul
    Motorola V635
    Motorola V180
    Carriers
    Sprint (SERO)
    Cingular (LTV5)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TikkiTakki
    Make sure that the video was recorded in MMS format.
    There is such a format? I recorded the video as a 3GP file.
    Last edited by dudeman456; 05-28-2006 at 12:01 PM.

Phones
    IPhone 5 64 gig
    iPhone 4
    Nokia N75 unlocked debranded, N85-3 unlocked unbranded
    Carriers
    AT&T- this week!
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    cingular states the MMS limit is 300K

Phones
    Sprint (HTC) Mogul
    Motorola V635
    Motorola V180
    Carriers
    Sprint (SERO)
    Cingular (LTV5)
    Feedback Score
    So this could simply be SIM card based?

Phones
    IPhone 5 64 gig
    iPhone 4
    Carriers
    AT&T- this week!
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    no - it's the limit cingular's system will handle - you can read it yourself on cingular.com

Phones
    Sprint (HTC) Mogul
    Motorola V635
    Motorola V180
    Carriers
    Sprint (SERO)
    Cingular (LTV5)
    Feedback Score
    Then how would my phone know that it reached the limit, it has to be SIM card based. As soon as select the file it says that I reach the size limit.

Carriers
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (MobilePhone RL-4920/US/1.0) NetFront/3.1 MMP/2.0)

You both are saying the same thing. It is sim/carrier based.

Feedback Score
    Its sim card based

Phones
    Sprint (HTC) Mogul
    Motorola V635
    Motorola V180
    Carriers
    Sprint (SERO)
    Cingular (LTV5)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcamp
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (MobilePhone RL-4920/US/1.0) NetFront/3.1 MMP/2.0)

You both are saying the same thing. It is sim/carrier based.
    No we are not, I'm asking if the limit is SIM card based, meaning that if I put the SIM card of another company with a higher limit I will be able to send bigger files. The Cingular network should technically be able to handle a very large file size other wise their 3G ambitions are not going to work out to well.

Phones
    IPhone 5 64 gig
    iPhone 4
    Carriers
    AT&T- this week!
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    i don't claim to be an expert, but i think we are mixing issues. first of all, if you put the sim card of another company in your phone, you won't be able to do anything on the cingular network. secondly, 3g is about speed - not volume! mms messages can be sent on a pay per use basis ($0.25) up to a large volume plan - hence the volume of data sent is controlled to an extent.

Phones
    Sprint (HTC) Mogul
    Motorola V635
    Motorola V180
    Carriers
    Sprint (SERO)
    Cingular (LTV5)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsjr
    i don't claim to be an expert, but i think we are mixing issues. first of all, if you put the sim card of another company in your phone, you won't be able to do anything on the cingular network.
    As I stated in my first post, I'm trying to send a MMS video to a friend, MMS also double as email, I never said anything about Cingular in the first post. My friend could be using a PDA or MDA or SDA or just simply be on a cell network that support MMS of that size or higher. In fact jrsjr you mentioned Cingular. If the SIM in question is AT&T, that would qualify to do things on the Cingular network, Or simply if I'am roaming on the Cingular network. Not to mention Cingular has/allows alot of MVNOs.

secondly, 3g is about speed - not volume!
    Cingular plans to do what the rest of the world has already been doing with 3G. Like video calling(See the RAZR V3X), video streaming, music downloads, and etc. There is not much point in 3G without expecting a data volume capacity increase. It would be a total waste if we were to all have access to it, and just sent text messages, and MMS at a 300K file size limit at 3G speeds. Thats like upgrading the engine(or ECU for that matter) of a car to have a high speed but not upgrading the brakes.

mms messages can be sent on a pay per use basis ($0.25) up to a large volume plan
    I apolligize but I do not understand what you are saying here. Please elaborate.

mms messages can be sent on a pay per use basis ($0.25) up to a large volume plan - hence the volume of data sent is controlled to an extent.
    I doubt this is what you mean, but I actully have a pet peive here with Cingular and their messaging. Cingular if I'm not mistaken is the only company that does not have free incoming messages, meaning somebody else can message you forever and give you a huge bill to pay.

Also even on a pay per use basis you can message as much as you want their is no limit.

Phones
    IPhone 5 64 gig
    iPhone 4
    Carriers
    AT&T- this week!
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    o.k l et's step back a bit and see if we can find common ground. first of all, cingular and at&t are not the same - although at&t may soon own cingular who currently owns at&t, while they share the same towers now (in most places where conversion has occurred), the at&t phones still carry at&t software and at&t sims and use different settings for web browsing and mms transmission than do cingular phones with cingular's orange card. secondly, your initial post asked if there was an mms limit without sepicifing provider - i simply replied that cingular for one has an mms limit - probably because a cingular customer can have a "pay per use" plan which cingular proudly makes a point of saying, in advance, will cost $0.25 per message
    (.25 to the sender - .25 to the receiver unless either has a bulk plan - i.e. 1000 messages per month for $9.99). there is a difference between mms messaging and browsing - you can browse with no limitations (except your wallet). email, like browsing, is charged strictly by data usage, but also has limitations imposed by cingular's system. as far as cingular's rate sturucture is concerned - you pay for everything going in or out except for cingular/att mobile to mobile calls - they are free both ways. and historically, most us companies charged air time when your phone was in use, regardless of who originated the exchange. there were and continue to be various marketing offers - nextel,sprint did free incoming and as i mentioned, cingular/at&t do free mobile-mobile between their users. the fact that incoming generally costs the recipient is why spam and privacy of mobile phone numbers is such a major concern! i hope this helps get us on the same page.
    Last edited by jrsjr; 05-29-2006 at 02:56 PM.