Thread: Unregistered SIM

Feedback Score

Unregistered SIM

Hi.

I have a few SIM cards that are displaying as 'Unregistered SIM'. Does anybody know of a code to register these (i.e. something like *#xxx#)? Or, do I have to phone Vodafone, and them re-register then SIM cards for me?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Carrier
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    you have to call them up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Junglizt1210
    you have to call them up.
    Are you sure? 'Cause when I firsted switched my phone on with one of them in, it said 'Vodafone UK', then changed to 'No Service', and then changed again to 'Unregistered SIM'. So, it did get the network for a second. Is it maybe because a phone call hasn't been made on the SIM for so long?

Thanks.

Carrier
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    My dad found a SIM card in his shop on the floor opnce, he gave it to me to test out of curiousity - it too, connected for a few seconds then dropped and wouldn't ever connect again. Go figure.

If you want to continue using it, I would call Vodafone up. As you say, the SIM has been inactive for too long probably.

Phones
    T-Mobile MDA II w/Plantronics M3000 (Primary)
    Motorola E770V (locked to Vodafone Germany)
    Carriers
    E-Plus (DE)
    Vodafone Germany
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by emo86
    Are you sure? 'Cause when I firsted switched my phone on with one of them in, it said 'Vodafone UK', then changed to 'No Service', and then changed again to 'Unregistered SIM'. So, it did get the network for a second. Is it maybe because a phone call hasn't been made on the SIM for so long?

Thanks.
    That's definitely it. European prepaid SIMs have a longer validity period than their American counterparts since they don't expire for at least 14 months whereas with US prepaid SIM cards you have to refill them every 30 days to keep them active.
    Born/Raised: Redwood City, CA, USA
    Live in: Cologne, Germany (May 2004)
    German (Fluent) and English (Fluent)

Nokia Series 40 and Series 60 Reset Codes:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=640135

Prepaid Options for Abroad:
    http://www.prepaidgsm.net
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=622551

Worldwide GPRS settings:

http://www.access-sys-eu.com/GPRS_Settings.95.0.html

Feedback Score
    Hello

I work for Vodafone and can offer informal help.

Your Vodafone SIM card will get disconnected after 90 days if no chargeable calls are made.

It might be possible to reconnect them, and I’d suggest you email Customer Services using the web form at www.vodafone.co.uk/contactus.

You should ask them if it’s possible to reconnect the SIM cards and provide them with the SIM card numbers (the last 20 digits of each number). If you use the code FIT135 in your e mail, it will route your e mail to the correct person.

I hope this helps.

Phones
    Carriers
    E-Plus (DE)
    Vodafone Germany
    Feedback Score
    How long after the initial deactivation can a Vodafone PAYT SIM be reactivated? Does the number get cleared from Vodafone's system right after the 14-month validity period is up?

Carriers
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    I would like to mention that US prepaid sim cards have pretty much gone away from the 30 day refill thing. Both Cingular and Tmobile prepaids now have 1 year expiration. After topping up with $100 you automatically get 1 year expiration. Also, any refill after that(even the $10) extends the validity of your sim for another year. Tmobile has had this for over a year, but Cingular just started a few monyhs ago. I refilled my tmobile sim with $10 in april and it expires 04/2007.

Quote Originally Posted by TriBand81
    That's definitely it. European prepaid SIMs have a longer validity period than their American counterparts since they don't expire for at least 14 months whereas with US prepaid SIM cards you have to refill them every 30 days to keep them active.

Phones
    Carriers
    E-Plus (DE)
    Vodafone Germany
    Feedback Score
    At least Cingular and T-Mobile have gotten smart in that regard. It's pretty senseless to issue prepaid SIM cards that expire just a month later.

Carrier
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    thats not fair! i wish they did that before mine expired!

Phones
    Nokia 6230b (5.50 with Chinese)
    903sh, p905i, sh-06a, sh9010c,f906i
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    i thought you can reactivate old tmobile sim cards, but probably end up with a new number