Thread: can cell phone lines be misdirected/crossed or forwared by mistake?

Feedback Score

can cell phone lines be misdirected/crossed or forwared by mistake?

I recently received a somewhat suspicious phone call. It said it was incoming from my girlfriends phone when she was supposed to be alone at my place, but a guy started talking... soon after I asked who it was the phone call ended. I'm not sure if he even heard me but what was stranger was that my girlfriend said she tried to call me and got some guys voicemail. I would hate to suspect anything because we've had a pretty decent relationship for almost a year and this would be the only sign of any wrongdoing. I just can't get over her saying that her call went to the wrong number, and I received a call id'd to her from the wrong number because I use nextel and she uses centenial... and the fact that the guy didn't say wrong number or anything.

Phones
    Blackberry 8320
    Blackberry 9700
    Carriers
    Tmobile(great sms)
    Feedback Score
    yes it can, read my post about "consensus plan affecting cellular service". This is starting to be common. And its sad as well because its time I hear convos on my phone and those people can hear me, so I know its happening to me somewhere. Where exactly do you stay?

I would call my lady friend and it would say her name but a old lady would pick up, the next call a mechanic shop would pick up, and remember it had her name on the caller id and then phone would just either hang up or give me a error message
    Blackberry 9700
    My next BB is the BB9800.....

Phones
    i580 - This phone is built like a tank!
    i530 (Backup)
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Yes, like everything else that is controlled by a comptuer, sometimes errors do happen. My fiancee was making a call for hotel reservations. At the end of the call when the hotel hung up, it connected her to someone else trying to call the hotel for reservations as well. It only happens once in a great while. I think in total, I have only witnessed it happening 3 or 4 times, with different cell phones and companies, so nobody is immune to this.

Cincinnati, OH
    Firefighter-Paramedic

Phones
    Current: Motorola V3xx
    Nextel: i870, i860, i850, i760, i730, i530, i95, i205
    Past: Attwireless NEC 525
    Carriers
    Current: Cingular
    Feedback Score
    for awhile that would happen to my friend with cingular. I'd stand right next to him, call him and some random guy would answer while hes talking to some girl but then after 10 seconds its like the network noticed something wrong and dropped the call.

not so much a big deal, but can posses somewhat of a privacy concern

Feedback Score
    thanks for the info. I had never had it happen to me so hearing that it does happen is a relief. I trust my girlfriend but didn't get how both of the calls got screwed up, hers going to a different number while i received a different one, and why the guy didn't reply (it was kinda of like i said hey and then he said what's up "B"?, but who knows if we were connnected right.) thanks again

Phone
    PEBL
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Its happened to me.

Phones
    i930
    2 i870's
    2 i860's (both broken)
    Feedback Score
    i hate being on the phone with somebody and all of a sudden you hear 2 extra voices talking. you can have a conversation with the other people and everything then they will just fade away

my cousin had a problem with her land line where if you called her a old lady would answer the phone and it would still be ringing in the background and you could talk to her but when my cousin finally picked up her end it would cut the old lady off

Phones
    Nextel I930
    Retired the i1000plus, i60, i90, i730, i830, i860, i880, 8350i
    Carriers
    Sprint Nextel
    Feedback Score
    If she tried *67 someone, but plugged in the wrong *code (I know there is one that forwards your number to another persons phone for call forwarding). This happened once around me, I doubt it happened in your situation but ya never know.

Phones
    Nextel i95cl
    Nextel i830
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    The fcc really needs to enforce stricter guidelines on cellular companies for things like this rather than indecency. People's privacy is really at stake and especially when wire-tapping is in the news......