Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My V3i Review:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

My V3i Review:

I have been using the Rogers V3i now for a good week and want to post up the review:
    the Unit i'm using is a Rogers retail boxed V3i featuring R47A_G_08.D8.83R software.

So let's start it up, shall we.

Reception
    While the V3i isn't the V3, it is always drawn and contrasted against it. Logically i ran the V3i against my original V3 as well as the W810i, W600 and D606 that I currently have at my disposal. I'm quite happy to report it easily hangs with all of these models. I'd be hard pressed to say if it was any better, or any worse then the W810/W600/D606 as the V3i really had no issues on my *Drivng test.

*The drive by test is:
    Yonge and 16th, east on 16th to woodbine. North on woodbine to 19th. West on 19th to Yonge. North on Yonge to Bloomington. East on bloomington to Bayview. South on bayview to Stouffville sideroad. East on Stoufville sideroad to Leslie and Leslie back to the Hill.

Furthermore, the V3i does a great job of hanging on to service in the weaker areas and making that weaker service still sound and handle like a stronger service area. Wether this is a feature of the V3i, AMR codec or both combined I'm not 100% sure.

Of course, having the antenna at the bottom of the phone, like the V3, and V360/V361 poses many advantages. One being that it is usually clear of any obstructions like your hand. Depending of course on how you hold the actual phone. I like to hold the phone with my thumb and middle finger holding the 2 elbow caps, and my 1st finger resting on the back of the phone

Sound Quality

Incoming
    The incoming sound quality is typical Motorola. Good.
    it's not to much treble, not bo much bass. it's just right. I found the volume to be more then adequate. Of course, if you don't you can always seem it up.

Outoing
    Again, Nothing disappointing here. Moto's always seem to bring good incoming and outgoing audio to the table with their products and the V3i is no exception to this

Camera
    The V3i features a 1.23 mpix camera, similar to the one found in the V635. For picture taking it does a decent job and is there if you need it. The exclusion of a Flash is a bit of a letdown at this timeframe seeing as the competitors include one. namely the W810 and D606.

here are a few sample shots at VGA and Mpix modes:

and all you "stealth mission" types will be happy to know that the V3i has the ability to set a silent shutter. Yes, Silent.

you can also press and hold the side smart key to launch the camera for self portraits.

External memory
    Being an iTUNES phone, 512 meg's is a prerequisite. The V3i comes packaged with a 512 MicroSD card (already installed in phone) which you can use for iTUNES or any other media you wise to save on the card.

LIke other moto iTUNES product, you can't use iTUNES media as your ringtunes. The iTUNES media is locked away and only accessable through the player itself.

iTUNES
    Seeing as the V3i is identical in iTUNES implementation as the L7 SLVR, i'm going to lift that section and place it here.

The V3i features iTUNES on the unit as well.
    The Rogers V3i will come packaged with a USB cable, 512 MicroSD card, Stereo headset with handsfree, USB to 3.5" adaptor for your own headsets.

implementation
    The iTUNES implementation is pretty close to that of an actual IPOD save for the touch sensitive wheel, and, 100 song limit. (apparently there's a crack now for 1000 songs, see moto forum) The 512 megs is a decent size to throw your must have tunes on there and have them accessible

If you already own an ipod, you may want to set iTUNES to manual. Otherwise, when you connect the V3i it'll want to put all your songs from your library onto the V3i. Clearly it won't fit

the V3i also appears to still be USB 1.1 as loading songs really takes much longer then loading onto an iPOD using usb 2.0. i'm talking about a signficant decrease in speed here comparing loading times of the V3i to any IPOD.

The actual iTUNES implementation is decent, but it's very slow at times, and lags. Having an ipod myself, I can say the V3i would never replace it. however, if you don' thave an ipod and are looking at a converged device the V3i may work. Unlesss of course you don't like iTUNES.

The itunes tracks are also not able to be used as ringtunes.
    any MP3's saved on the card can't be used as ringtunes, actually. You'll have to copy that tune over to the phone. Clearly this should be changed and addressed in newer moto releases since every other manufacturer seems to have the ability of saving MP3's on media cards and still using them as ringers etc etc

headphones
    The included headphones for the iTUNES and headset use is actually quite good for a packaged set. they sound decent and when making a call the outgoing call quality was also decent. it's a little off, but unless you tell your callers you're on a headset I really don't think they'll know

Connectivity
    Bluetooth
    The V3i features Moto's tried and true bluetooth implementations. since nothhing has changed i'm gonna copy from previous reviews:

The V3i features the tried and true motorola bluetooth system love it or leave it.
    It's bluetooth 1.1 as well. 1 connection.

The V3i and subsequently Motorola's bluetooth system can be left on without fear of being seen by other devices since the phone has to be put into a "find me" mode first.
    Nothing much has changed though in terms of BT implementation on the V3i. It's the same system and same setup as the V3 RAZR and V551/V635/V360 etc etc

mini USB
    The V3i has also changed from the older V600/V551 based tooth connector to the standard mini-USB connector found on the RAZR. As a result you can also use mini-USB cables to connect to the PC. Since the V360 has a mini-USB connector, and a MicroSD card slot it will act as a virtual drive when there's a memory card present and connected to a pc. However, it must be noted, that in settings/connection/USB settings you must have this set to "memory card" if you wish to access the memory card as a drive. If you wish to use Motorola Phone tools you need to switch this option to Data/Fax connection.

MicroSD
    Of course, the V3i has MicroSD memory and comes with a 512 meg card in the box as well as a cable.

BT pairings
    Operating in a similar way to the V635/V3/V360 has it's advantages. Namely, the V3i can have it's Bluetooth turned on all the time and other's can't see you (similar to SE's Bluetooth implementation of "hidden") what does that mean to you? you can leave BT on all the time and use it with your headsets/PC's/PDA's/carkits and never have to worry about being "bluejacked" or "bluesnarfed" as others just won't see you when they scan.

headset use
    the V3i still has that quirk where when using a BT headset it'll default to the "continental" ringtone and SMS defaults to the one beep.

I still don't like the Motorola/Nokia way of headset use compared to SE though. If I get an incoming call, and press SEND on the handset, logically, i'd want the phone to pick up, not the headset. I can see both sides of this argument though where some users feel that the headset is a physical extension of the phone, and as such a BT headset should act the same way as a corded headset considering a corded headset you can press send/end on the phone and it'll control the call.

the headset and the inabliity to play MP3 Ringtones is getting a bit old though. If you can't have the phone play the MP3 tune in the headset, then do like SE and make the headset beep, while the phone plays the regular MP3 ringtones etc etc etc. I would prefer the ringtone not to change when I turn on my BT headset.

Aesthetics
    The RAZR line is most definatly not a secret phone. Everyone knows what the RAZR is. Everyone. The V3i maintains the same clean classic lines as the V3 and adds the 1.23 mpix cam, itunes, removable media and VoiceSignal

Clearly the V3i is put together quite well, feels solid and has that "ohhhh ahhhh" presence to it. The Razr's popularity is so widespread that it's on Rogers, Telus, Bell and Fido. The only other phone to do this in my recent memory was the V60

Keypad
    The keypad is decent. the buttons them selves have a little more spring to them then my original V3 does. The lighting is even and throughout and the nice blue velvet look accents are a very nice touch

Screen
    the Screen is the usual excellent offering from Motorola. It's vibrant, colourfull and displayes images quite well

Email
    The V3i has an Email client, it also supports SSL connections as well which is what I use currently. It's the typical moto Email client and works well.

battery
    Aside from the good RF and quality build how does the phone actually last?...
    the battery life on the V3i is decent. I get a day out of it easy. When a BT headset is connected the battery life takes a bit of a hit though, as expected. however I still managed a full day out of it so no complaints from me.

VoiceSignal
    the V3i features the excellent VoiceSignal software. This SW makes life so much easier. It instantly gives eveyone in your phone book a voice tag, without the need to record them.

Just press the side key
    voicesignal boots up
    "say a command"
    name dial
    digit dial
    camera
    voicemail
    redial
    received calls

Name dial

say the name in your phonebook

Ted Rogers

Did you say Ted rogers

Yes

WHich number

Mobile

calling

The Voicesignal SW is one of my favorites and makes live easier. Especially with BT headsets.

Ratings:
    Performance.............................8.5
    Build Quality..............................10
    Battery Life................................8
    Features....................................8
    SW...........................................5 (moto needs to change it up, E2 looks appealing)
    Keypad......................................7.5
    Camera.....................................7.5
    bluetooth....................................5 (1.1 and slow transfers)

Overall:..................8.25

Great phone. Inclusion of Voicesignal gives it a few more points for me however the SW is really drawing long in the tooth and has to be changed IMHO

PRO's
    *iTUNES
    *VoiceSignal
    *New refreshed look
    *Excellent build quality
    *Excellent build material
    *Excellent RF
    *Excellent incoming and outgoing audio characteristics
    *Fluid, even backlighting
    *SSL Email client
    *MINI USB
    *MicroSD
    *Moto shortcuts are still infinitely customizable
    *Excellent BT range
    *Decent speakerphone for voice/iTUNES playing
    *Rogers Retail packaging gives you everytthing you need, save a leather case

CON's
    *EDGE EDGE EDGE and the lack of it
    *Screen not so hot outside
    *Moto UI, while effective, is slow and really dated
    *Same moto phonebook. single entries pretending to be 1
    *MP3 tones unable to be used as ringtunes when stored on MicroSD
    *Price point ($289.99)
    *USB 1.1 for iTUNES
    *no flash
    *phone is very slow in phonebook scrolling
    *BT headset / continential ringtune issue still present

Device(s)
    SE W810i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Nice review, looking forward to the W800i

Device(s)
    iHuck
    Carrier(s)
    Cantel AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Treatz
    and all you "stealth mission" types will be happy to know that the V3i has the ability to set a silent shutter. Yes, Silent.
    what do you mean by that?

Quote Originally Posted by Treatz
    Ratings:
    Performance.............................8.5
    Build Quality..............................10
    Battery Life................................8
    Features....................................8
    SW...........................................5 (moto needs to change it up, E2 looks appealing)
    Keypad......................................7.5
    Camera.....................................7.5
    bluetooth....................................5 (1.1 and slow transfers)

Overall:..................8.25

would your SW result be higher if you didn't see the e2 for the comparison? Some people like the UI on moto's (not many but some have no issues with it

Hit me for feedback !!!

I carry a lighter in my back pocket. I'm not a smoker, I just really like certain songs......

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by huck-guai
    what do you mean by that?

would your SW result be higher if you didn't see the e2 for the comparison? Some people like the UI on moto's (not many but some have no issues with it
    the low score is not because it's no good, I like the UI but it's slow.
    the low score is because it hasn't changed, at all. the E2 being linux and a much more polished look will bring moto right back up in SW

Device(s)
    iHuck
    Carrier(s)
    Cantel AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jjpun
    Nice review, looking forward to the W800i
    not going to happen as it lacks the 850 band. He doesn't go near those 850-less phones.

I hope you meant the w810cc

Device(s)
    AT&T Nokia Lumia 1520 on Bell
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Nice one Treatz.

I wonder: how many people buy phones based upon your reviews?

I bought my SLVR because of Treatz' review of it.

The iTunes workaround worked fine on my SLVR to get more than 100 songs on it. But you have to use the MotoTunes software to do it.

Device(s)
    BB Bold
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    lol i got a w600i cuz of treatz' review

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Nice review, not really a fan of Motorola though. Looking forward for your next review.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Nice review! keep up the good work

Carrier(s)
    Fido (Snoopy's Dog House)
    Feedback Score
    Treatz, is the micro SD card hot swappable? or must you power down/up the phone every time you swap it like you must do with the V635i???
    I put the "HO" back in "HOFO"

Device(s)
    iphone
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    nice review.. well thought out.. but i think the razr days have come and gone for me anyways. Decent phone but when i see older east indian ladies using them, I know its become waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too popular It has become so OVER popular and an "everyday common" phone that nothing motorola can inject into it will make it "mysterious" or have that "wow" effect any longer for phone enthusiasts like ourselves.. not even D&G.. heh

I just gave mine away last week..

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paolo
    Treatz, is the micro SD card hot swappable? or must you power down/up the phone every time you swap it like you must do with the V635i???
    It's hotswap. If i pull the card the phone doesnt' show it's contents. Once i insert it back the phone boots it up and I can access the card contents

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sythlord
    nice review.. well thought out.. but i think the razr days have come and gone for me anyways. Decent phone but when i see older east indian ladies using them, I know its become waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too popular It has become so OVER popular and an "everyday common" phone that nothing motorola can inject into it will make it "mysterious" or have that "wow" effect any longer for phone enthusiasts like ourselves.. not even D&G.. heh

I just gave mine away last week..
    the V3i isn't just a different color though, so it does distinguish itself a little from the old ladies' pink v3's

Device(s)
    Considering SE k850i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Love the review...I've had mine for over a month now.

Agree with everything...I think the Ui is pretty good...that being said, I'm not using the phone all day like y'all.

I sent Treatz a PM about products to keep the V3i looking great(screen protectors, silicon cases). It's a hard phone to keep clean.

If u like to use the phone for surfing...you HAVE to get Opera Mini...awesome! Oilers updates came easy with that little download

The price of the phone is crazy...but when u see how much memory cards are, it's easy to see why it's priced the way it is with the card built in.

Treatz if u see this, can u tell me about the seem for volume? iTunes just isn't loud enuff. Will a seem void my warranty?

Device(s)
    iHuck
    Carrier(s)
    Cantel AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCHDOWN1
    Treatz if u see this, can u tell me about the seem for volume? iTunes just isn't loud enuff. Will a seem void my warranty?
    go in the moto forum and all your questions will be answered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast