Blackberry 8830
    LG VX8600
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Cool How to enable EVDO DUN on the VX8300

How to enable EVDO DUN on the LG VX8300

Step 1
    Go to the following link and register. You MUST register or you will not be able to complete Step 2. The site is in Chzek so you must use your intuition during the registration process.
    http://www.siemensmania.cz/

Step 2
    After registration is complete, sign in and navigate to the following URL:
    http://www.siemensmania.cz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23050

Step 3
    You will need to download QPST 2.7 Build 215, look for a link similar to the following:

I can't post the actual link, it's against forum rules. You'll have to use your intuition.
    Download the file, unzip it and install it. If you have a previous version of it, uninstall that one first. Older versions will not work for the VX8300.

Step 4
    Connect your phone to your PC via usb cable or via bluetooth. There are plenty of tutorials on how to connect your phone to your computer. Please check the VX8100 HowTo as the process will be exactly the same.

Step 5
    Launch the Configuration Tool

Add the port your phone is listening on.

Be sure to specify the correct port.

If you are not sure what port your phone is connected to, try downloading BitPim and using the auto-detect feature to determine which port your phone is listening on.

You'll know that you've specified the correct port once the Configuration Tool has picked up your phone.

Step 6
    Launch the Service Programming tool that is part of the QPST Suite.

Step 7
    Connect to your phone with the Service Programmer. If you have completed the previous steps successfully, you will see your phone listed.

Step 8
    Click the 'Phone' menu, then 'Read from Phone'. Wait for the Service Programmer to read the data from your phone. BEFORE making any changes, click 'Save to File' and BACKUP your qcn file. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!

Step 9
    Once you have backed up your qcn file. Scroll to the 'M .IP' tab. Once there, select your entry from the list, and click 'Edit'.

Step 10
    You must edit your 'Tethered NAI' so that your phone will use the same login information for both EVDO and CDMA-1X network access. If your mobile number is 1234567890 then your 'Tethered NAI' will read '1234567890@dun.vzw3g.com'. Change it so that it reads '1234567890@vzw3g.com'. Once complete, your 'NAI' and 'Tethered NAI' should be EXACTLY the same. Click 'OK'.

Step 11
    Click 'Write to Phone' to write the modified qcn file to your phone.

Enjoy, your 'DUN'!

You should now be able to access the EVDO broadband network via dial up networking at no additional cost. Although I have not yet verified this, I firmly believe that this method will work for ANY Qualcomm CDMA EVDO capable phone as all EVDO phones are built on Qualcomm chips. The Qualcomm Product Support Tool (QPST) described in this tutorial should work with all older models as well as newer ones like the VX9800. This method can also be used as an alternative to HEX editing the 'nvm_data' file (as described in previous threads) for the VX8100.

Cheers,
    randyman
    Last edited by randyman; 06-14-2006 at 10:39 PM.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    step one's site is in some other language, where do I go on it?

Phones
    Blackberry 8130
    Blackberry 8830
    LG VX8600
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Try using yahoo to translate the page, or just use your best judgement. The layout on most forums are pretty standard.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I believe it's czech, and yahoo doesn't support that language

Phones
    Blackberry 8130
    Blackberry 8830
    LG VX8600
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I too found it a bit difficult to register, but after using a little intuition, I was able to do so. There should be a link somewhere in the upper right hand corner of the page if I remember correctly.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Can you host the new qpst? I can't get the file to download and I registered

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by randyman
    I too found it a bit difficult to register, but after using a little intuition, I was able to do so. There should be a link somewhere in the upper right hand corner of the page if I remember correctly.
    Do they send an email verification? I downloaded some file but it was 5.7kb, and when I enter my username and pw, there's a php fatal error

Edit: ok I got the email, however when I login, I still get the error and I can't download it, do you want to send it through email? I can pm you my address
    Last edited by unlazyfree; 06-14-2006 at 10:36 PM.

Feedback Score
    Randy, Nice post..alot of work huh and you have a day job too ...lol
    What speeds have you been connecting at on EVDO @ how many bars.
    What is the original backup of QCN used for. Did you have to reload it later

JMOR

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Is there somewhere else to dl it? does qpst have an official site?

Phones
    Blackberry 8130
    Blackberry 8830
    LG VX8600
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    JMOR,
    Thanx, glad you found it useful. I always back up stuff like that. You never know when you'll need it. At home I get about 1 to 2 bars of EVDO and roughly 3 bars of CDMA-1x. Yes, the VX8300 has 2 seperate bars, 1 for EVDO and 1 for CDMA-1x. My connection baud rate is 115200 or 115.2kbps. Last night I downloaded a 3 meg file while peaking at 60 Kilobytes / second. Not to shabby for a wireless connection. The speeds I got on the VX8300 were about the save I was getting on the VX8100.

Phones
    Blackberry 8130
    Blackberry 8830
    LG VX8600
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    unlazyfree,
    QPST does not have an official site. The only place to download it is from the site mentioned in the tutorial. If anyone wants to host the file, let me know I'll send them a copy via e-mail. The file is roughly 8mb.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by randyman
    unlazyfree,
    QPST does not have an official site. The only place to download it is from the site mentioned in the tutorial. If anyone wants to host the file, let me know I'll send them a copy via e-mail. The file is roughly 8mb.
    pm sent, I can have it hosted within 10 minutes

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    stupid question, but if I don't have a data plan, or vcast, can I still use this, but just 1X (not use evdo), however rarely, and shouldn't get caught?

Phones
    LG Dare
    vx8300
    vx7000
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    is all this free were do you gotta pay for the data plan as well?

Phone
    LG VX6000
    Feedback Score
    So I'm posting this message using my phone. It says that I'm connected using 115kbps.

Quesiton: now...am I no using evdo because I don't have an EVDO package of any kind?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast