Thread: T-Mobile Coverage in Illinois

Phone
    HTC myTouch 3G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile Coverage in Illinois

Hi all,
    I'm currently in Europe and am returning to the US in early August. I'm considering getting T-Mobile when I return but am concerned about the coverage in central Illinois (specifically Springfield and Jacksonville).

I know some of you want to answer my question quickly by telling me to check the T-Mobile Coverage Map or find a website like CellReception.com. Well I've already done both... the problem is there are just 2 reviews of T-Mobile on CellReception for my area...one that gives a perfect score and another that claims it isn't so good. The coverage map shows good coverage in some areas of Springfield and Jacksonville and not so good coverage in other areas. However, from reading other people's comments, I know that sometimes the coverage map is not always up-to-date or the most accurate.

Therefore, I'm just looking for some "real-world" experiences... any of you live in or travel to central Illinois, especially Springfield and Jacksonville, and can give me some decent, somewhat detailed reviews of the network quality there? How did your phone work indoors? Would I be better off with Cingular in this area? Non-GSM providers are out, since I use my phone in Europe, too. But I really want to avoid Cingular, if possible... there is a reason that the fires of hell and their logo are both orange. However, I might be forced to get them if their coverage is better here...

Thanks for your help...

John

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I was last in Springfield a few months ago. I didn't have any coverage issues, but I was mainly on the east side of town near I-55.

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    although it's not shown on the coverage maps, you should be able to roam on simmetry pcs out in jacksonville. T-mobile has a tower there but simmetry might have better coverage. Either way, you should be able to use t-mobile prepaid or postpaid with simmetry.
    http://www.simmetrypcs.com/content/c.../local_map.php

Feedback Score
    I'll give the stock answer. Just try it out and if you don't like it cancel and go with someone else.

Phone
    HTC myTouch 3G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkdave
    I'll give the stock answer. Just try it out and if you don't like it cancel and go with someone else.
    I know, but that's a hassle. I guess I was just hoping that someone would tell me I wouldn't have to go with Cingular because I hate them, but I think I might have to if their coverage is better in Springfield and Jacksonville...

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreml
    I know, but that's a hassle. I guess I was just hoping that someone would tell me I wouldn't have to go with Cingular because I hate them, but I think I might have to if their coverage is better in Springfield and Jacksonville...
    this is the coverage tool for cingular. It seems to be really optimistic but still better than nothing.
    http://63.241.153.180/coverageviewer/B2B.html
    Ok, it appears to be having issues. But try later.