Page 1 of 59 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast

Thread: How to enable EVDO DUN on ANY EVDO capable phone in 10 easy steps!

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8130
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Arrow How to enable EVDO DUN on ANY EVDO capable phone in 10 easy steps!

How to enable EVDO DUN on ANY EVDO capable phone in 10 easy steps!

Step 1
    Go to the following link. The very first post should be a link to QPST 2.7 build 215. You will have to register in order to download it.
    http://www.mobile-files.com/forum/sh...highlight=QPST

Step 2
    Download QPST 2.7 build 215 and install it.

Step 3
    Connect your phone to your PC via usb cable or via bluetooth. There are plenty of tutorials on how to connect your phone to your computer. Please check the VX8100 HowTo as the process will be exactly the same.

Step 4
    Launch the QPST Configuration Tool

Add the port your phone is listening on. If your phone is capable, you can connect via bluetooth or simply use a USB cable, the choice is yours.

Be sure to specify the correct port.

If you are not sure what port your phone is connected to, try downloading BitPim and using the auto-detect feature to determine which port your phone is listening on.

You'll know that you've specified the correct port once the Configuration Tool has picked up your phone.

Step 5
    Launch the Service Programming tool that is part of the QPST Suite.

Step 6
    Connect to your phone with the Service Programmer. If you have completed the previous steps successfully, you will see your phone listed.

Step 7
    Click the 'Phone' menu, then 'Read from Phone'. Wait for the Service Programmer to read the data from your phone. BEFORE making any changes, click 'Save to File' and BACKUP your qcn file. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!

Step 8
    Once you have backed up your qcn file. Scroll to the 'M .IP' tab. Once there, select your entry from the list, and click 'Edit'.

Step 9
    You must edit your 'Tethered NAI' so that your phone will use the same login information for both EVDO and CDMA-1X network access. If your mobile number is 1234567890 then your 'Tethered NAI' will read '[email protected]'. Change it so that it reads '[email protected]'. Once complete, your 'NAI' and 'Tethered NAI' should be EXACTLY the same. Click 'OK'.

Step 10
    Click 'Write to Phone' to write the modified qcn file to your phone.

Enjoy, your 'DUN'!

To use the EVDO DUN service, add an new dialup connect with the following credentials:

Phone Number: #777
    Username: [email protected] (ex: [email protected])
    Password: verizon

Be sure to select your phone as the default modem for this connection.

Cheers,
    randyman
    Last edited by randyman; 06-19-2006 at 09:06 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung U740 (2 already)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    i feel so stupid but what is dun?

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8130
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    DUN = Dial Up Networking.

You can use your verizon EVDO phone as a dial up modem and achieve speeds up to 315Kbps.

Just so you get an overall idea of how fast that is.

Verizon DSL = 768 Kbps
    Verizon Wireless (With EVDO) = 315Kbps

Not to shabby for a cell phone

Device(s)
    Motorola V9M, V3c, MAxx Ve, V3m
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What program/software do you use to dial up?

By the way, great write up. Can't wait to receive my new phone

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8130
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanx Carfreak, glad you find it usefull.

On a PC, you can use Windows to dial up. Simply add a new dial-up connection with the credentials specified in the tutorial. Also, be sure to select your phone as the modem. My phone is connected via bluetooth and the modem is listed as "Standard modem over bluetooth"

Device(s)
    LGVX9800
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yeah but is it worth it to do this if you get caught by Verizon and then banned or fined? What are the consequences for doing this?

Device(s)
    RIM BB 9530 (soon to be Niagra...)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Randyman,

If I understand you correctly, this is force the phone to connect to Verizon's 1xRTT data network (national access) instead of the EV-DO broadband access... Is this correct?

-Adam

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by floz23
    Randyman,

If I understand you correctly, this is force the phone to connect to Verizon's 1xRTT data network (national access) instead of the EV-DO broadband access... Is this correct?

-Adam
    Or do we have the option to choose connect to 1x rather than eveo? I am in the evdo area, but would like DUN to 1x only on my 8300.

Device(s)
    RIM BB 9530 (soon to be Niagra...)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by westwestwest
    Or do we have the option to choose connect to 1x rather than eveo? I am in the evdo area, but would like DUN to 1x only on my 8300.
    Yes, I think these are the directions to do such a thing! This is great, as verizon is really protective of the ev-do data network, but they dont seem to care all that much about abusing 1x data....

-Adam

Feedback Score
    Randyman, I saw your reply to my question in the "DUN for 9800" topic. According to what you said, "you can choose which service to use via the hidden menus. Menu 0, 00000 will bring it up", you sounds like suggesting that I have to choose the 1x mode use the phone's secret service menu, but there is no way to choose "1x" or "evdo" on the computer while dialing up. If I do not disable "evdo" by the service menu, then I will connect to evdo network. Do I understand you correctly?

Device(s)
    LG vx8100 V07
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    tagged
    I love my 8100!

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    well you will not get " in trouble" if you are not stupid. i have been tethering the ev network for a long time and have never had a problem. eveytime i read about someome getting in trouble it is because they use limewire or download some ridiculous size items and draw attention to themselves. if you just check your email, surf, or IM and you dont stay connected for hours and hours like i have i dont think you will ever have a problem

also if you do the following you will increase your speeds when tethering:

1. get the TCP/IP Optimizer from www.speedguide.net
    2. use these settings and remember if this is your first time messing around with your settings that you make a backup of your original settings so you can always put it back

Try TCP Optimizer with the following custom settings:

General Settings tab:
    Custom settings - check
    Modify All Network Adapters - check
    network adapter selection - your NIC
    MTU -1500
    TTL - 64
    TCP Receive Window - 64240
    MTU Discovery - Yes
    Black Hole Detect - No
    Selective Acks - Yes
    Max Duplicate ACKs - 2
    TCP 1323 Options:
    Windows Scaling - uncheck
    Timestamps - uncheck
    Advanced Settings tab:
    Max Connections per Server - 10
    Max Connections per 1.0 Server - 20
    LocalPriority - 5
    Host Priority - 6
    DNSPriority - 7
    NetbtPriority - 8
    Lan Browsing speedup - optimized
    QoS: NonBestEffortLimit - 0
    ToS: DisableUserTOSSetting - 0
    ToS: DefaultTOSValue - 80
    MaxNegativeCacheTtl - 0
    NetFailureCacheTime - 0
    NegativeSOACache Time - 0
    LAN Request Buffer Size - 32768
    Then select "Apply Changes" and reboot to take effect

this makes a dramatic difference over the standard settings in windows

ooh and i found it helps with speed in general not just tethering

hope that helps and good luck

Device(s)
    Samsung Omnia (1st smartphone and first phone that's not LG!!)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch33
    well you will not get " in trouble" if you are not stupid. i have been tethering the ev network for a long time and have never had a problem. eveytime i read about someome getting in trouble it is because they use limewire or download some ridiculous size items and draw attention to themselves. if you just check your email, surf, or IM and you dont stay connected for hours and hours like i have i dont think you will ever have a problem

also if you do the following you will increase your speeds when tethering:

1. get the TCP/IP Optimizer from www.speedguide.net
    2. use these settings and remember if this is your first time messing around with your settings that you make a backup of your original settings so you can always put it back

Try TCP Optimizer with the following custom settings:

General Settings tab:
    Custom settings - check
    Modify All Network Adapters - check
    network adapter selection - your NIC
    MTU -1500
    TTL - 64
    TCP Receive Window - 64240
    MTU Discovery - Yes
    Black Hole Detect - No
    Selective Acks - Yes
    Max Duplicate ACKs - 2
    TCP 1323 Options:
    Windows Scaling - uncheck
    Timestamps - uncheck
    Advanced Settings tab:
    Max Connections per Server - 10
    Max Connections per 1.0 Server - 20
    LocalPriority - 5
    Host Priority - 6
    DNSPriority - 7
    NetbtPriority - 8
    Lan Browsing speedup - optimized
    QoS: NonBestEffortLimit - 0
    ToS: DisableUserTOSSetting - 0
    ToS: DefaultTOSValue - 80
    MaxNegativeCacheTtl - 0
    NetFailureCacheTime - 0
    NegativeSOACache Time - 0
    LAN Request Buffer Size - 32768
    Then select "Apply Changes" and reboot to take effect

this makes a dramatic difference over the standard settings in windows

ooh and i found it helps with speed in general not just tethering

hope that helps and good luck
    Thanks for the tip!

Feedback Score
    I have a Motorola E815. Has anyone else noticed that the Tethered NAI field in QPST is empty (even AFTER clicking Read from Phone), and does not have the aforementioned @dun.vzw3g.com address? Also, after I edit this field and Write To Phone, it almost seems like the phone is resetting itself to the old settings. After the phone loses its signal and reacquires it, the phone switches back into EVDO mode. If I then Read from Phone in QPST, the Tethered NAI field is once again blank. QPST reads from the phone just fine. I have tried the "##DIALUP" method (even VERY quickly) and the E815 doesn't respond with the "Dial-up Networking Enabled" message whatsoever. Anyone else experience this?

Feedback Score

Update

Just thought I'd give everyone an update as to my previous post in case someone else experiences the same thing on their E815. Turns out that the latest firmware version (which was already loaded on my phone when I purchased it this last weekend), which happens to be 8720_01.1E.00, disables the capability to use ##DIALUP to enable DUN. You can figure out which firmware version you have by going to Menu > Phone Info > Other Information > S/W Version. However, the new firmware also happens to fix several things (increased vibrate intensity, no more speakerphone echo, etc.). Basically, Verizon is going out of their way to keep everyone from tethering EVDO.

If you have the E815 and the 8720_01.1E.00 firmware, the only way to connect via DUN without paying Verizon for their expensive EVDO plan is to disable EVDO and then use the 14.4 speed 1X capability of the phone. It's certainly no EVDO, but it's Internet access that only uses your minutes. To disable EVDO, follow the instructions on http://forums.phonearena.com/showthread.php?t=1014 Make sure and pay heed to the posting that you must quickly press Menu THEN the left soft button, NOT the two at the same time. Note that disabling EVDO will keep you from using Vcast, but will increase your battery life quite a bit.

After EVDO is disabled (your phone should always display "1X" along the top instead of "EV"), you're ready to use it for DUN. First and foremost, you need to make sure that you have all the right drivers for the phone before you go plugging it into the PC. You can get these at http://www.inetron.com/index.php?opt...fileinfo&id=39 Extract the contents of that .zip file into C:\Program Files, so the file contents should then end up in C:\Program Files\Motorola\MotoConnect I assume you already got the factory Motorola USB data cable already, right? If not, go get one! You can order one online or you can go buy the Mobile Office Kit from Circuit City or some other Verizon reseller (the kit is about $40). All you need from the kit is the actual cable though, not the software.

Now make sure the phone is powered on and connect it to the PC with the Motorola USB data cable. Assuming you're running Windows XP, it should detect the phone and bring up the Found New Hardware Wizard. Select "No, not this time" at the first screen when it asks you if you want to connect to Windows Update to find drivers, click Next. Then select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)", click Next. Assuming "Search for the best driver in these locations." is selected, uncheck the "Search removable media" box and check "Include this location in the search:". Click the Browse button and browse to that folder where you installed the drivers (C:\Program Files\Motorola\MotoConnect\). Click Next and it should start installing the drivers. Click Finish when it's done and you should now have a Motorola USB Modem installed.

Want to verify that you're communicating with the new modem properly? Go into Control Panel in XP and then go into "Phone and Modem Options" (assuming that your Control Panel is in Classic View and not Category View, that is). Under the Modems tab, select your Motorola USB Modem and click the Properties button. In the Modem Properties window that comes up, select the Diagnostics tab and click on the Query Modem button. This will probably take a good minute or two, but should fill in that Command / Response window with data when it's done. If so, your new modem is ready to rock! If not, try unplugging the USB cable, power-cycling the phone, and then trying to Query it again.

Now comes the fun part. Go into Control Panel > Network Connections in XP. Click on "Create a new connection". Click Next and then select "Connect to the Internet" for Network Connection Type, click Next. Then select "Set up my connection manually", click Next. Select "Connect using a dial-up modem", click Next. Name the ISP whatever you want. Then use the following info for the next steps:

Phone number: #777
    User name: [email protected] (substitute your 10-digit phone number)
    Password: vzw

Now before we can use this new dial-up connection, we need to change some of its Properties. So here we go (credit goes to http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...page=1&pp=15):

Select Properties,
    Select "Options" tab
    Under "Dialing options" check "display progress while connecting",
    "prompt or name and password, certificate, etc.", and "prompt for
    phone number"
    Select Security tab, Select "Advanced" (NOT typical), Under "Data
    encryption" select "Optional Encryption"
    Under "Login Security" select "Allow These Protocols" and check ONLY
    "unencrypted passwords (PAP)"
    Select "Networking" tab
    Ensure that "type of dial up" is set to PPP

Now that new dial-up connection should work like a charm! Albeit a slow 14.4 type of charm... I hope that this posting will help people that get stuck where I was.

Page 1 of 59 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast