Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My D606 review:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

My D606 review:

I've been Running the D606 as my main line now since June 15th and as such am ready to post up the review. I am using a Rogers Retail D606 that is running D606UXFD5 SW

The phone Retails for $349.99 on a 3 year term
    http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wire...606R&summary=1

Reception
    The D606 has proven to be a good phone in my daily travels. No complaints, no headaches. However, I did have a few issues in the weaker areas, a little bit of distortion in the bad areas. Bayview and 19th though dropped the call. I was heading west on 19th towards bayview and in that bad area the call dropped. Twice. Which is odd, since the D606 handled itself quite well in the rest of the drive test. As a point of reference I turned around and tried the W810 and W600 as well and they went through that area fine so I dunno why the D606 would drop the call.

The *Drive test was little work for the D606 as it handles handoff’s quite well and gives minimal intrusion into your conversation.. Nobody complained while I was on the drive test as well, so this is quite good.

*The drive by test is:
    Yonge and 16th, east on 16th to woodbine. North on woodbine to 19th. West on 19th to Yonge. North on Yonge to Bloomington. East on bloomington to Bayview. South on bayview to Stouffville sideroad. East on Stoufville sideroad to Leslie and Leslie back to the Hill.

Sound quality
    incoming
    The D606 is one loud phone.
    It’s almost as loud as the W600, and at times you may think it is louder. The reason I say the D606 isn’t as loud is because the D606 has more of a treble sound to it vs the W600 which is a bit more balanced with treble and bass. As such, because of the treble, one would think it’s louder. But back to back swap outs of the D606/W600 while calling *time led me to the conclusion that the D606 is just a touch under the W600.

There is a very minute hiss if you really listen hard enough. However, there is no transmitter buzz present in the earpiece when in weaker area’s and the phone is amped up to PC4 specs, like the cantina

Nevertheless, if you’re looking for a LOUD phone and are more a fan of the sliding D606 vs the swiveling W600 you can buy with confidence that the Rogers D606 is loud.

Outgoing
    The D606 is hands down an outgoing machine.
    It’s clean, clear and very balanced IMHO. It focuses on the caller and mic placement is perfect for the noisier environments you may find yourself in through your daily travels.
    There is an option to turn “voice clarity” off, and doing so equals a rougher conversation for the called party. Why you’d want to disable this is beyond me so I left the feature enabled the whole review

Camera
    The D606 features a 2.0mpix camera with the usual fun Samsung effects and add-ons
    The sizing itself ranges from:
    Frame> 240 x 180
    Mobile> 240 x 320 (good for taking pics for your wallpaper)
    QVGA> 320 x 240
    VGA> 640 x 480
    SVGA> 800 x 600
    MEGA> 1152 x 84
    UXGA> 1600 x 1200

There are also 3 quality settings:
    Superfine
    Normal
    Economy

You also have 3 metering exposure settings:
    1> center – weighted
    2> matrix
    3> spot

There is a white balance and exposure control, like most camera phones, I just leave it on Auto. If you’re so inclined you can change your ISO speeds to:
    1> 100
    2> 200
    3> 400
    I just leave the ISO settings on auto again

On top of these you can set different viewfinder modes as well:
    1> full screen & indicator
    2> Full screen
    3> Standard ratio
    4> Full screen and guidelines (puts up a tic/tac/toe grid for aiming)

The camera quality itself is average. It’s a large pic, yes. The quality of that pic however isn’t really that great. Below you will find random pics of each size for your viewing pleasure.

shooting mode
    The camera comes with all the Samsung tricks and add-on’s as well
    You have single shot, multi shot 6/9/15, Mosaic shot,
    The single shot and multi shot are self explanatory.

Mosaic shot is a neat little shot style.
    Basically you can choose a template and then shoot pics to fill that template in.
    The attached pic below is 2 shots. The first is of Jenna, the 2nd is of the Mustang logo. The shots are then combined into what you’re looking at. Nice little add on and there are numerous templates

Frames
    Frames, similar to Sony Ericsson, are single shot effects to take all kinds of funny pics ranging from clowns to 70’s disco afros. Here’s a pic of Huck-Guai in his true form:

effects
    The standard Samsung effects are also present:
    None
    Black & White
    Negative
    Sepia
    Emboss
    Sketch
    Antique
    Moonlight
    Fog

Video
    The D606 is also very versatile for Video. You can actually record a video and then set that video for a specific person as their Call ID which is really trick

Aesthetics
    The D606 is a very well built, very clean and classy looking phone. It doesn’t scream out “look at me, LOOK AT ME!!!” but instead just goes about doing it’s business. The business of keeping you connected

The D606 also has a nice rubbery backside as well which I like.

A nice touch with the D606 as well is that all the major points of access are protected by hinges or flaps. Earpiece, Charger and MicroSD card slot:

Screen
    The D606 has a gorgeous 240x320 262k TFT screen. It’s one of the best screens in the industry. It’s very fine making the icon’s look as if they’re typeset instead of graphics and the colour is marvelous. The screen itself may be a huge contributing factor to the D606’s weak battery life though, more about that later. The screen is readable in direct sunlight possessing a reflective quality as well.

Samsung is known, at least here on hofo, as having some of the best screens in the mobile industry. They have easily maintained that stronghold with the D606.

Keypad
    Being a slider phone, I was a bit hesitant at first in thinking I’d like it. Never being a fan of sliders in general since the SL56 which didn’t impress me I was concerned that like the W600, the D606 may suffer from a mediocre keypad. I’m quite please to say that the D606 keypad works very well to my liking. Providing just the right amount of tactile feel and travel in each key when depressed the D606 keypad works well. Furthermore, the egress to the top keys on the top of the slider are easy. Usually with Sliders the top keys are a bit of a jump for the thumb but because the D606 isn’t a blocky phone and has a curved face to the keypad below I found my thumb traveling there easily and without any efforts.

T9
    The D606 has T9 implementation, and you can add your own custom words as well. However, I found an oddity. It seems that every different area of the phone has a different implementation of T9. The browser was different then writing SMS for example in terms of what keys did what. It’s almost as if each part of the phone has a different T9 instead of using the same implementation throughout.

browser
    Another oddity I found in the D606 was the browser. While the browser itself is decent and works well there is no way to call up the bookmarks or manually key in a URL while in the browser. I found this to be really odd. Originally thinking this was a Rogers branding thing I was proven wrong when I tried a D608 and D600 and the same oddities occurred. You can access your bookmarks and type in URL’s in the browser menu before launching the web. This seems very strange if you tend to navigate around your bookmarks. This would require you exiting the wap session every time to go into the wap menu and select a new bookmark and then the browser re-launches.

Even when you press the * browser key, the popup menu completely lacks a bookmarks or enter URL area.

Battery
    Unfortunately, the D606 that I used was not all that great in the battery life department. Using the D606 as my daily phone I would be lucky to survive a day from 9am till 6pm without the Samsung low battery warning chime coming up. This was with BT left on and my Logitech Mobile Traveler connected. When I turned off BT the battery life did get better but we’re talking a 11pm low battery warning. The D606 definitely needs a car charger in my opinion if you’re a power user like myself. I do a lot of SMS/MMS and wap browsing in a day so your results may not even remotely match mine. However, I use myself as the bearing when testing phones and since the D606 barely managed 9 to 6 with BT on the heavy user will also find it a little lacking. I’m told the D600 has an external battery but I was unable to source one quickly enough for the review. This would also raise the cost of the phone as well since you would have to purchase that battery.

External Memory / MP3

Being billed as an MP3 media phone the D606 comes with a 512 MicroSD card stereo headset, USB cable and PCsuite CD. The D606 is a media friendly phone.

wallpapers/MP3 tones
    The D606 has the same inability to set MP3 ringtones or wallpapers if that media is saved on the MicroSD card. If you try and set these items the D606 will at least prompt you “copy to phone and set as xxx” which is a nice move eliminating work for the end user but I’d still like to see a memory implementation like that of Sony Ericsson where you can use any media saved anywhere.

Mp3
    The MP3 player is decent. You can play your music through the supplied stereo headset or use a BT stereo headset since The D606 also supports the A2DP Stereo streaming Bluetooth profile. However, you can’t minimize the MP3 player, so it’s always on the main screen. You can slide the unit into the closed position and they keylock will engage and the music will remain. While playing music it will interrupt if a phone call comes in but not for SMS

A2DP
    This is a very nice feature for those of you wanting to use the phone as a media player and would like A2DP. Not only is A2DP headphones, but you can stream your music from the phone to any A2DP source. Think Car stereo with A2DP or Home PC with A2DP. With the D606 I was able to finally use the Jabra BT620’s as my BT headset and Stereo headset to stream music to them. I was also able to stream music from the D606 to my work PC with ease using Jabra’s A320s BT dongle with A2DP (retail price around 59.99)

Connectivity
    The D606 has Bluetooth as well as a usb cable solution. However, the Cable seems to be usb 1.1 since loading media, like songs, into the phone is a very time consuming process like the V3i / L7 / ROKR.

However, you can use the cable and Samsung’s PCSuite 3.0 to move media, sync with outlook and charge the unit off your PC.

The D600 also has a TV out cable which isn’t included in the D606 retail packaging. They are compatible if you want to source one though. I used one with my D606 @ the shop and it basically projects your phone’s display onto a TV. The usefulness of this comes into question for myself, but I imaging those that do presentations of pics or documents etc could make use of this ability

Bluetooth
    The D606 has Bluetooth 2.0 allowing multiple devices to connect. Has a faster throughput and has frequency hopping. As mentioned earlier the D606 features A2DP, stereo headset, handsfree, file transfer, object push, basic printing, DUN and serial port profiles. The BT implementation on the Samsung is done quite well, but it really kills your batter life when connected

Email
    Unlike the T609 the D606 features an Email client capable of sending/receiving Email and supporting attachments up to 300kb. I use the Email client on all my phones so seeing it on my D606 was a welcome addition.

Ratings:
    Performance………………………8
    Build Quality………….………...9.25
    Battery life………………………..4
    Features……………….…..………9
    Bluetooth…………………..……..9.5
    Keypad……………………….…..9.5
    Camera………………………..…..8
    Features for $............................10

Overall:………………………8.5

Good phone. Will be excellent for many but falls a bit short in battery life for the heavy users.

PRO’s
    *Excellent looking phone
    *Excellent build quality
    *Excellent Screen
    *Great assist on the slide up and down
    *Excellent Keypad
    *Decent camera with tons of fun effects
    *Good RF
    *Very loud earpiece
    *Amazing outgoing qualities
    *Good Bluetooth implementation
    *A2DP> First MP3 player based phone in Canada

CON’s
    *Battery life
    *T9 implementation is different in different areas of phone
    *Price point
    *Inability to set wallpaper/MP3 ringtones on media saved on MicroSD card
    *Lack of bookmarks/enter URL while wapping
    *Triband EDGE when T609 is quadband EDGE
    Last edited by Treatz; 06-23-2006 at 07:28 PM.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6682
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers,
    Feedback Score
    Nice review treatz....and very nice pics as well.

Just one thing... I notice you gave a 10/10 for Features For $ yet you listed the price point as a con... is there a reason or is that a mistake?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rAfChOw
    Nice review treatz....and very nice pics as well.

Just one thing... I notice you gave a 10/10 for Features For $ yet you listed the price point as a con... is there a reason or is that a mistake?
    Na, whie expensive it comes with a lot of features. MP3 player, 2.0 mpix w/cam, A2DP, cable, bluetooth, EDGE, 512SD. It's fully loaded

Device(s)
    Current: SE Naite (Fido), iPhone 4 (Koodo)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo and Fido
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    cool review, been waiting for this.

so the million dollar question.. d606 or w810?
    Hi.

Device(s)
    3gsssssssssssss
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    you should mention samsungs have fantastic video recording capabilities..myabe the best in the industry

Resistance is Futile! get the nokia n8 housing for your iphone lol
    from nokiaconversations

Twitter me

Device(s)
    iHuck
    Carrier(s)
    Cantel AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Treatz
    Frames, similar to Sony Ericsson, are single shot effects to take all kinds of funny pics ranging from clowns to 70’s disco afros. Here’s a pic of Huck-Guai in his true form:

uhmm..yeah...I sooo hate you!

good review, but still hate you!

Hit me for feedback !!!

I carry a lighter in my back pocket. I'm not a smoker, I just really like certain songs......

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very good review. This phone should sell well especially to those that want to jump from CDMA..

Device(s)
    iHuck
    Carrier(s)
    Cantel AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brucebeh
    cool review, been waiting for this.

so the million dollar question.. d606 or w810?

w810i....easy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by huck-guai
    uhmm..yeah...I sooo hate you!

good review, but still hate you!
    AaaaaHAHAHAHAHA

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    good job treatz
    but i don't think it's the first phone with a2dp in retail for canada
    it should be the 8801
    but of course that doesn't have expandible memory and isn't a good mp3 player
    how long of music playtime do you think you could get on the sammy?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JwY
    good job treatz
    but i don't think it's the first phone with a2dp in retail for canada
    it should be the 8801
    but of course that doesn't have expandible memory and isn't a good mp3 player
    how long of music playtime do you think you could get on the sammy?
    True, I forgot about the 8801, however the D606 is the first MP3 player based phone with A2DP. And it's also on Rogers where the 8801 isn't

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaolinmonk
    you should mention samsungs have fantastic video recording capabilities..myabe the best in the industry
    good point.
    I've added a vid section

Carrier(s)
    Telus, Fido, Wind, Chatr
    Feedback Score
    On my D600 I get 3-4 days but I doubt I am making as many calls as Treatz. With BT on all day I get about a day or two.

The video quality is quite good.

I meant to use the D600 as an MP3 player on a recent trip but did not have the handsfree set with me.

The D600 is an awesome video playback device! You can watch 3GP files at 15 fps and stereo sound - it looks like a little TV! I carry around an episode on Robot Chicken for giggles and it never fails to impress people with the smooth playback.

Device(s)
    •—Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    ◄ Fido ►
    Feedback Score
    Sweet review.
    Quote Originally Posted by treatz
    There is a very minute hiss if you really listen hard enough. However, there is no transmitter buzz present in the earpiece when in weaker area’s and the phone is amped up to PC4 specs, like the cantina
    I'm glad you touched on that. Let it be known that I hear this faint transmitter buzz in both my Blackberry 8700r and my first w810i
    Quote Originally Posted by treatz
    The D606 also has a nice rubbery backside as well which I like.
    Rubbery backsides? lol...that just sounds wrong. I kno too many girls born with D606s!
    Last edited by JP; 06-23-2006 at 09:06 PM.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are strictly my own.

Device(s)
    Current: SE Naite (Fido), iPhone 4 (Koodo)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo and Fido
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    huck-gui:

kinda OT, but what does your username mean?

i really hope its not what im (chinese) thinking!! :| (i have to apologize jus for thinking it)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast