Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cancel Verizon Contract (military orders)?

Feedback Score

Cancel Verizon Contract (military orders)?

I recently moved to an area that is no longer in Verizon's coverage area on military orders (still in the U.S., though). I'll be here the duration of my contract with Verizon. Despite the fact that my phone still works to talk with, it is constantly searching for a signal and the best it will do is roaming. Am I able to cancel my contract with Verizon at no charge to me if I moved to this out of the way place on military orders? I'd LIKE to keep my number switch to another service that has coverage out here (I know Cingular and US Cellular do). I want to be armed with as much information as possible when I call them with the bad news.

Phones
    BlackBerry 8230/flip pearl
    8330 pink curve
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You should be able to avoid the ETF, here's why:
    1. you are in an area where VZ doesn't offer coverage
    2. military orders

Good luck and thanks for serving our country!
    Mobile Phone Princess
    <---I love my Saturn Sky.

Phone
    Palm Pre
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    And if they don't, contact your local news stations and I guarantee you'll be let out of the contract then.

Phones
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Q9m
    Q
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbrightbill
    And if they don't, contact your local news stations and I guarantee you'll be let out of the contract then.
    that's a little bit much.

Phones
    Just left Nextel after ten years
    Razr V3c
    Carrier
    Verizon&Cingular,EX-Nextel User
    Feedback Score
    Hmmm not sure about that to be honest, as all they've stated in the past about Military orders had to do with being out of the country. When it comes to moving to an area where you are out of coverage, you would have to be able to provide an address that when looked up in their system shows you as not having coverage and since you do have coverage but not full signal, this may be problematic.
    If I was you, I would call CS and ask them very nicely about the policy that pertains to military orders and ask them if you qualify for it. My guess is no at this point, but it never hurts to ask. FYI: You do typically have to provide a copy of the orders in order to get out of the service(when ordered into service out of the contry) so if they do allow for it, you may want to be ready to fax over your orders. Just keep in mind that since you're not ordered out of the country and are not in an area that has NO signal at all, you may have to bite the bullet and pay the etf if you really want out. I wish you luck.
    Doc
    "The only thing that evil needs in order to triumph, is for Good men to do nothing." Edmun Burke
    "I was killing people while you were still swimming around in your fathers balls!" Repo Man

Feedback Score
    Thank you!

I'll call them tomorrow. Hopefully it will work out. I'm definately not in Verizon's service area (on their map I'm not even in the roaming area, I couldn't explain how I could possibly get my phone to work at all). Hopefully that will help.

BUT- if it does work..how do I keep my phone number? It'd almost be worth the cost to keep this number..I've had it for over a decade through nearly a dozen moves (though only switched to Verizon before this last move).
    Last edited by DC-17; 06-27-2006 at 01:07 AM.

Feedback Score

RE: Cancel Verizon Contract ...

You can get out of your contract without penalty by going to Celltradeusa.com

Good Luck

Feedback Score
    TheFreePhoneGuy-

Should getting out conventionally (and keeping my number) not work, what is the process (keeping my number) on the website you linked? I'm too tired at the moment to look closely at it..I'll give it another go in the morning.. it seems needlessly complicated for what it is...

Do I have to "Get In" and THEN "Get Out" ?
    Last edited by DC-17; 06-27-2006 at 01:17 AM.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFreePhoneGuy
    You can get out of your contract without penalty by going to Celltradeusa.com
    CellTrade doesn't do anything you can't do yourself. Find someone new to take over your contract.

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DC-17
    BUT- if it does work..how do I keep my phone number?
    Port it - you have to start the contract with the new provider first, which will cancel your Verizon service. Don't cancel your Verizon service first or your number won't be available to port.

Feedback Score
    But wouldn't that cause me to eat the cancel fee automatically, no matter if I'm on military orders or what?

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I was assuming that you were going to be able to be let out of your contract penalty-free; if that's the case ask them to please note that in your account. Hopefully that would override any ETF's but that's just a guess on my part (I always ask CS when I call to note my account if it's something I'm going to the store to take care of and I've never had a problem). Porting is the only way I know of that you'd be able to keep your number.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docrock00
    Hmmm not sure about that to be honest, as all they've stated in the past about Military orders had to do with being out of the country.
    IMHO, that sounds like a pretty reasonable policy. Military orders transferring one out of the country is one thing, but orders simply transferring one from one base to another within the USA is another. I would think that transferring within the USA would simply be handled like any other (non-military) customer's move; cancellation w/o the fee would be gauged solely if one's new location is covered by VZW or not.

Phones
    Droid Incredible
    Moto Droid(Sold)
    Blackberry Tour(Sold)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Customers can be let out of contract if they are going into the military if they do provide military papers. No ETF will be charged. It's a policy.

Phones
    Treo 700wx W/4GB SD
    Motorola Q
    LG EnV VX9900
    Carrier
    Alltel (Getting my love)
    Feedback Score
    I've had to terminate twice with Verizon for my military orders, both times they never even asked for a copy just terminated on the spot... With no ETF.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast