Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will WCDMA phone work on CDMA network?

Feedback Score

Will WCDMA phone work on CDMA network?

There is a WCDMA phone I want to get but I'm with Cricket whom is on a CDMA network. I did a bit of research on this on the net & the only thing I can find on this is WCDMA is sorta like the next generation of the CDMA network, nothing I could find states whether or not a WCDMA phone will work on a CDMA network.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Phones
    BlackBerry 8100
    Sony-Ericsson T610 (backup)
    Nokia 6610 (sold)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, no. Despite the similarity of the acronyms, CDMA and WCDMA are incompatible technologies.

(Edited bacause they are pretty similar - WCDMA uses 5MHz bands, CDMA uses 1.25MHz bands. Still no way to use a WCDMA handset on a CDMA network though.)
    Last edited by ggoodale; 06-29-2006 at 10:39 AM.

Phones
    Nokia Lumia 925
    BH-703, BH-905i, BH-940
    Previous: 808 Pureview, N8, N97, N810, N82, N95, N90, N73, 6682, 3600
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Soooo.... even if I buy a phone that says in its tech specs that it's a CDMA phone (then flash it later), even then it doesn't necessarily mean it will work on any CDMA network?

Phones
    BlackBerry 8100
    Nokia 6610 (sold)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Not sure exactly what you're asking, but you can't flash a CDMA phone to WCDMA - they require fundamentally different hardware. If you're asking if you can buy a Verizon phone and then later use it on sprint after flashing it, the answer is almost certainly no - CDMA carriers have a long history of refusing to allow competitors' equipment to be used on their networks and vice versa.

Feedback Score
    I want to get a new phone, since I can't do the phone on WCDMA, I'll have to get a different one. I'm on cricket which is a CDMA network. My cousin had a phone from Sprint (I think) & got it flashed to work on Cricket. What I'm saying is, if I buy a phone from LG or whomever & it's compatable on a CDMA network (there are a variety of phones that say CDMA then have numbers after them (in phone specs)), do I have to look for a specific CDMA network?

Here's the bottom line. I hate the phones cricket has to offer #1 none of them do what I want & #2 they are totally overpriced. I want to buy a phone on ebay, unlocked if need be, flash it & use it on my cricket network. I'm sure this is possible to do but if there is something in the phones specs that I need to be looking for, I would appreciate it if someone would let me know.

Thanks.

Phones
    BlackBerry 8100
    Nokia 6610 (sold)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, no clue. I'm surprised your friend managed to get a CDMA phone to work anywhere other than the network on which it was originally sold. You might have better luck asking this over in one of the CDMA carriers' forums...

Feedback Score
    Where would that be? I don't see any forums with CDMA in the descritpion aside from this one.

Carrier
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    you can use a dual mode W-CDMA/GSM phone provided it has GSM 1900MHz in the US on either T-Mobile or Cingular providing it's unlocked.

Phones
    LG DARE
    Thunderbolt
    DARE
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marker0077
    I want to get a new phone, since I can't do the phone on WCDMA, I'll have to get a different one. I'm on cricket which is a CDMA network. My cousin had a phone from Sprint (I think) & got it flashed to work on Cricket. What I'm saying is, if I buy a phone from LG or whomever & it's compatable on a CDMA network (there are a variety of phones that say CDMA then have numbers after them (in phone specs)), do I have to look for a specific CDMA network?

Here's the bottom line. I hate the phones cricket has to offer #1 none of them do what I want & #2 they are totally overpriced. I want to buy a phone on ebay, unlocked if need be, flash it & use it on my cricket network. I'm sure this is possible to do but if there is something in the phones specs that I need to be looking for, I would appreciate it if someone would let me know.

Thanks.
    It may work.
    Some carriers, such as VZW & Sprint, won't activate a phone with an ESN # not in their database as an "approved" unit.
    A few (usually smaller), CDMA carriers will activate any cdma fone.
    You should simply call Cricket & say you are going to buy a CDMA fone off of Ebay, it will be "unlocked", & ask them how to go about activating it. They will tell you right away if they will do it.
    "I'm All In!"

Phone
    HTC Hero
    Feedback Score
    You can find CDMA phones that are unlocked. Actually Verizon does not use sublocks. They just take off features sometimes. Most of the time all you have to do is put a template in the phone and PRL and Presto, it's ready to go. All CDMA phones in the US operate on 800 or 1900MHz. So looking for a particular band in a CDMA phone is not an issue unless you want Analog then you will have to get a Non-EVDO phone. None of the EVDO phones have Analog.

Carrier
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    FFS it won't work. the hardware is totally different. We're talking W-CDMA which is closer to GSM than the actual CDMA. theres several guys who can explain it and how its like TDMA yadda yadda but in short FFS, you CANNOT use a W-CDMA phone on Verizon/Alltel/US Cellular/Sprint/Cricket. Can you guys please do your research before making false statements.

I'll bet $100 US that it won't work.

Thanks

Phone
    HTC Hero
    Feedback Score
    Yes you are correct you can't use a WCDMA on CDMA however he can get a different CDMA phone from Verizon to use on Cricket if they will activate.

Phones
    T-Mobile MDA II w/Plantronics M3000 (Primary)
    Motorola E770V (locked to Vodafone Germany)
    Carriers
    E-Plus (DE)
    Vodafone Germany
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marker0077
    Where would that be? I don't see any forums with CDMA in the descritpion aside from this one.
    Try:

http://verizon.howardforums.com
    http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...ysprune=1&f=53

Cricket is here:

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=336

Hope this helps,
    Born/Raised: Redwood City, CA, USA
    Live in: Cologne, Germany (May 2004)
    German (Fluent) and English (Fluent)

Nokia Series 40 and Series 60 Reset Codes:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=640135

Prepaid Options for Abroad:
    http://www.prepaidgsm.net
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=622551

Worldwide GPRS settings:

http://www.access-sys-eu.com/GPRS_Settings.95.0.html

Feedback Score
    I'm not worried about Cricket activating the phone. I have a cousin whom had a phone with a different carrier (I think it was Sprint), she had some guy flash the phone & voila, now works with Cricket.

Currently I'm looking into the LG V phones. It has a full keyboard, 1.3 megapixel pic capability, mp3 player, can put a memory stick in there & get a gig of disk space - cool phone. The only thing the Nokia E70 did better was it had 2.0 megapixel capability on the camera but only 75mb for disk space. Anyways, thanks for your help folks. It is appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast