iPhone IVS | 9900 B0ldTouchDizzle
    GoogleNexus, GNote
    ▬ JAWBONE I [Sold the II, & the Prime :(], Icon, Blueant Q1, H680, H12
    Carrier
    The one who pays me to use their service
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

FAQ: National [Within Canada] Long Distance Charges Incoming/Outgoing

Here's my contribution to this great forum.

Long Distance (LD):

Your cellphone is associated to a particular Native Calling Area (NCA). That is why your friends cost to call YOU is irrelevant to where you actually are when you pick up the call. Whether you are LOCAL to your NCA, or Travelling in Europe., they are dialing the same number. Where the billing DIFFERS, is on YOUR end. You get charged the IRM/LD, or RM minutes as described as follows:

INCOMING CALLS (whether from a friend down the street or incoming from China (for example) ANSWERED IN YOUR NCA;
    Charged as per daytime minute useage (fall under your contract or paygo balance).

INCOMING CALLS ANSWERED OUTSIDE YOUR NCA;
    Charged as an INCOMING ROAMING MINUTE (IRM) as per Rogers billing-at $0.25/min.

OUTGOING CALLS MADE OUTSIDE YOUR NCA BUT LOCAL TO THE CA PRESENTLY SITUATED;
    Charged as per daytime minute useage (fall under your contract or paygo balance).

OUTGOING CALLS MADE OUTSIDE YOUR NCA TO A LONG DISTANCE CANADIAN NUMBER (National Call);
    Charged as Long Distance $0.25/min

Voicemail is also a tricky thing to become initially familiar with:

Checking VM WITHIN your NCA;
    daytime minute useage, as above
    Checking VM OUTSIDE your NCA;
    considered LD $0.25. A simple work around if you know the locations you will be in-you can check JPs sticky, and use that number instead. This reputedly does not incur that LD rate-but is considered a local call .

Aside from these default rates, Corporate accounts have various rates including $0.07 or $0.10 to Canada or $0.10 to the US. There are offers by departments with other types of specials on LD packages.

There are LD Savers & Super Savers are available, which offer various discounts on rates. See Treatz' thread on those new packages, as well as www.Rogers.com for rates to International Destinations.

International Roaming is an entirely different ballgame so investigate that thoroughly before blindly taking advantage of this great service from Rogers. Voicemail and International trips also has raised a headache or two (though has been reputedly fixed now?) so investigate that also if you're going abroad and want to avoid any unforeseen complications.
    Last edited by bubble.tea; 06-29-2006 at 01:21 PM.
    300 @ 5pm●5K SMS●Auto Roadside●Unlim Inc●1000LD●R2RLD●VP●6Gb LTDizzle+credits = <$36
    34+|0|0 119+|0|0

For Sale: Crazy Sexy Cool 416-888's or 613 #'s
    WTT: My BNIB Note 2 for an Ipad Mini or 4
    Factory Unlocked 5White32gb, GNote2x2, 9900 LNIB Retired, GS3 for Mobi
    i7 920 @ 2.67GHz 9Gb DDR3
    My Wireless LD FAQ., READ IT!!!
    The Jawbone I, photo-review

Phones
    Samsung D500
    Motorola V220
    Sony Ericsson W810i
    Carriers
    Rogers,
    Feedback Score
    Ah, you missed one...Outgoing calls made from inside your NCA to a long distance Canadian # are also charged at 25 cents per minute.

Phones
    GoogleNexus, GNote
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Red face

ouch., fair enough.

I think I assumed the most basic type of LD everyone knew about anyway and didn't need mentioning.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4
    Apple iPhone 3G
    SE w580i
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Calling the local voicemail number when you're outside your NCA works, but you are still charged LD.

Phone
    •—Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    ◄ Fido ►
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Maedrik
    Calling the local voicemail number when you're outside your NCA works, but you are still charged LD.
    Is this a fact? I'm going to have to try it when I travel within Canada....

That's like Ontario all calling a (416) number to check their voicemail and not having to pay in their HOME CALLING AREA (or NATIVE CALLING AREA as bubble.tea suggested) but having to pay if they visit Toronto.

If what you say is indeed true, it just proves that the system is awkward yet purposefully designed to deny anyone a break while checking their voicemail
    Follow me on Twitter

All thoughts and opinions expressed are strictly my own.

Phones
    GoogleNexus, GNote
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    JP, regarding this point raised, I didn't want to challenge it just yet because I'm not in any city that is different from where I am...however I seem to recall somebody (perhaps yourself?) who mentioned that if you are indeed in a far away city that has another VM number than for your own NCA, if you called that one it WOULDN'T cost LD...was I mistaken?

Phone
    Motorola V3C Razr
    Carrier
    Aliant Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Canadian LD has increased to $0.30/min.

Feedback Score
    Sorry if I am being daft, but I am going to be changing plans soon, and wanted to make sure I am 100% clear on long distance & roaming, since thats where most of my extra charges come from.

At the top of the post, you mention three acronyms:

IRM - incoming roaming minute
    RM - roaming (regular?) minute
    LD - long distance

Am I right in my assumptions?

Do long distance and roaming minutes come from the same 'bucket' when you have a long distance (super) saver package?

If not, are there any roaming saver packages, or are we stuck paying the $0.30/minute whenever we are roaming?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated...

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4
    Apple iPhone 3G
    SE w580i
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure about traveling to another area of Ontario, for example (so you're still calling the same VM number). I haven't had a chance to test that out.

What I do know, is that when I left Alberta and went to BC, I tried calling the BC VM number. It worked fine, but I was charged LD on my next bill (I clarified all of this with a Rogers CS too).

Phones
    LG 9100
    V3c
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I know this thread is really old, but it's also very useful. And it's located in bubble tea's sig!

I just wanted to add, for PAYG/prepaid users only:
    INCOMING CALLS ANSWERED OUTSIDE YOUR NCA;
    You will be charged the local minute rate to receive a call (whether it is daytime/evening/weekend - you are charged according to your PAYG rate plan).
    In addtion, if you receive a call (outside NCA) from another PAYG customer - the call will be free.

Basically, there is no INCOMING ROAMING MINUTE (IRM) for PAYGO/prepaid users.

Cheers

Phones
    HTC TyTN
    Moto V3 RZR
    Moto T720
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray-Z
    Sorry if I am being daft, but I am going to be changing plans soon, and wanted to make sure I am 100% clear on long distance & roaming, since thats where most of my extra charges come from.

At the top of the post, you mention three acronyms:

IRM - incoming roaming minute
    RM - roaming (regular?) minute
    LD - long distance

Am I right in my assumptions?

Do long distance and roaming minutes come from the same 'bucket' when you have a long distance (super) saver package?

If not, are there any roaming saver packages, or are we stuck paying the $0.30/minute whenever we are roaming?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated...
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm interested in an answer for the above question also.

Here is my situation. I have the "Canadian LD Anytime Option" (1000 CAN LD min). I was outside my local calling area made a call to my VM (into my local area), I assumed this is a regular LD call, but they charged my 0.30/min and its flagged as a "ROM" (roaming, I assume). I also made a regular LD call from outside my Local Calling Area and the same thing - 0.30 and "ROM".

Do the LD minutes in the "Canadian LD Anytime Option" not include "roaming" LD? In other words, for "Canadian LD Anytime Option", a LD call is one made only when called out from your local calling area. Is this a mistake?

Phones
    HTC TyTN
    Moto V3 RZR
    Moto T720
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by doobievibes
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm interested in an answer for the above question also.

Here is my situation. I have the "Canadian LD Anytime Option" (1000 CAN LD min). I was outside my local calling area made a call to my VM (into my local area), I assumed this is a regular LD call, but they charged my 0.30/min and its flagged as a "ROM" (roaming, I assume). I also made a regular LD call from outside my Local Calling Area and the same thing - 0.30 and "ROM".

Do the LD minutes in the "Canadian LD Anytime Option" not include "roaming" LD? In other words, for "Canadian LD Anytime Option", a LD call is one made only when called out from your local calling area. Is this a mistake?
    I called Rogers, and I got an answer for my own question.

It was apparently a mistake. The CSR said all long distance calls within Canada should have been taken from the "Canadian LD Anytime Option". They will credit my bill for the LD charged. Funny how the "roaming" LD was only charged. It must be something in their system where "roaming" calls are treated differently.

I hope I contributed to this FAQ.

Phones
    GoogleNexus, GNote
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    @hockeyfan453, interesting., I'm by no means an end-all expert...but I'm a little skeptical about your findings. So there's no LD for paygo custs on inbound calls nationally....and inbound calls from other paygo custs are FREE??? If True...this is an awesome feature Rogers gives to their paygo customers....well done Rogers.

@doobievibes., well yes you did contribute. Where there was a doubt before., now it's been confirmed, as a mistake. I was almost positive that's what exactly had happened.

Now MORE INTERESTINGLY., I'd like to know....since the CanadaAnytime Option is a code on your account to tell the billing process how to handle all LD calls.....how did this mistake occur? Is it that the system can actually just 'hiccup' at times? or was the code just not there at all? or was it there...incorrectly set-up? May be a tad too particular for most users..but heck we're all afficionado and cellphoneary geeks in our own rights right?

Cheers.

Carrier
    Big Gulp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bubble.tea
    @hockeyfan453, interesting., I'm by no means an end-all expert...but I'm a little skeptical about your findings. So there's no LD for paygo custs on inbound calls nationally....and inbound calls from other paygo custs are FREE??? If True...this is an awesome feature Rogers gives to their paygo customers....well done Rogers.
    Yes, both features are indeed true.

About PAYG's no LD charge for receiving calls when you're outside your home area, it has been talked about before in the forum. Check out this thread: Pay as You Go question. See the first post by Steve Punter (#7) and read on.

About PAYG's free incoming calls from other PAYG users, it states that on the first page in the PAYG section of Rogers's website--see here.

Both features are confirmed in the FAQ under What would I pay to make and receive Pay As You Go calls? The following examples from the FAQ assumes that you have an Ottawa PAYG phone and you're on the Anytime Plan (33¢/min.):

If you are in Vancouver and receive a call from your friend in Vancouver, you would pay 33¢/minute (the local rate).
    If you are in Vancouver and you receive an incoming call from your mother’s land line phone in Ottawa, you would pay 33¢/minute (the local rate).
    If you are in Vancouver and you receive an incoming call from your sister’s Pay As You Go Ottawa phone, you would not pay anything. You do not pay for incoming local or long distance calls from another Pay As You Go phone.

Phones
    LG 9100
    V3c
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for doing all the hard work buddy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast