Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: V3m headphone adapter guide

Device(s)
    Razr V3m
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

V3c/m headphone adapter guide

The V3c/m is a music phone right? If you want to use it as one you're gonna need an adapter to connect some good stereo headphones, right? I've tried them all and here are my recommendations, FWIW.

Listed best to worst:

Motorola EMU to 3.5mm stereo adapter (SYN1504A/81019CW)

Available from numerous online stores. I bought mine from Cingular for $22 which included free 2 day UPS shipping (UPS took 5 days but that's to be expected) Works great with V3/ L2/ L6/ L7/ Q/ V360.

Motorola 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo adapter (SKN6183)

Available from numerous online stores for $10-20 shipped or in Cingular B&M stores for $5. Works very well with the V3's 2.5mm adapter but I rated it lower because it's an adapter on an adapter with possible signal degradation and more connections to come loose. Maybe it's my imagination but my music sounds a little better to me with the EMU to 3.5mm adapter.

EMU to 3.5mm stereo adapter from Ebay

Save your money! These suck. Mine didn't even work.

Radio Shack 2.5 to 3.5mm stereo adapter

Incompatible.

Also, once you start syncing your MP3 tunes to the V3m with WMP it's a good idea to manually select the bitrate you want for the WMA conversion. By default WMP10 automatically determines the bitrate for WMA conversion which can result in a 64Kbps WMA file that sounds like crap. Here are the steps to increase the conversion bitrate and greatly improve the sound quality:

1) Open WMP10
    2) Go to tools/options/devices
    3) Select V-Cast Mobile Phone - Phone internal memory and/or removeable storage card
    4) Go to 'properties'
    5) Select the 'quality' tab
    6) Change the 'music quality level' from 'select auto' to 'select'
    7) Move the slider to whatever WMA bitrate you want

I've tested 128Kbps and found it to offer a decent balance of sound quality and compact file size. IIRC a Motorola tech told me that the V3m is limited to <192Kbps but I haven't tested that yet.

* Note that after I reformatted my TF card WMP defaulted back to 'auto' bitrate so you'll have to change the setting after reformatting your TF card.
    Last edited by Fred Pohl; 07-05-2006 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Changed to include V3c

Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    Excellent POST!!!

Except for the WMP sync part... it should be applicable to the V3C too...

i.e. the head phone adapter info is the same for the V3C and V3M...
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!

New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

Device(s)
    Razr V3m
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    Excellent POST!!!

Except for the WMP sync part... it should be applicable to the V3C too...

i.e. the head phone adapter info is the same for the V3C and V3M...
    Thank you. Although all of this info is probably scattered throughout the forum in various threads, I felt it might be useful to put it all in one thread. The reason I tried so many adapters is because I couldn't find the info I needed at the time, or more accurately, I didn't spend enough time searching for it. All I wanted was a quality EMU to 3.5mm adapter and unfortunately for me, it was the last one I found.

Device(s)
    V3m
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the heads up!!! I bought the OEM stereo headset off of eBay a few weeks ago (still haven't received it) and ever since still want to use my good Philips earbuds.
    lose (looz), v. - : to fail to keep, sustain, or maintain <to lose one's balance>

loose (loos), adj,v. - 1a : not rigidly fastened or securely attached b (1) : having worked partly free from attachments <a loose tooth> (2) : having relative freedom of movement c : produced freely and accompanied by raising of mucus <a loose cough> d : not tight-fitting

Only idiots would want to hunt with Cheney.

Device(s)
    V3m
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pohl
    The V3c/m is a music phone right? If you want to use it as one you're gonna need an adapter to connect some good stereo headphones, right? I've tried them all and here are my recommendations, FWIW.

Listed best to worst:

Motorola EMU to 3.5mm stereo adapter (SYN1504A/81019CW)

Available from numerous online stores. I bought mine from Cingular for $22 which included free 2 day UPS shipping (UPS took 5 days but that's to be expected) Works great with V3/ L2/ L6/ L7/ Q/ V360.
    I bought this adapter today at the Cingular store for $19.99 + tax (even the guy that worked there couldn't believe the price), but the item # is 207HA81019. It was the last adapter left in the store, and it looks exactly like the SYN1504A/81019CW. "SYN1504A/81019CW" is no where to be found on the package. I can't find a # on the adapter either. Does yours have one? The barcode # is 738516810195.

Testing the music with the adapter using Philips HN060 Earbuds (really nice headphones with kicking bass btw)... I only have MP3s loaded onto the phone memory (still waiting for TF card delivery) and listened in "Get Tunes & Tones." I tested two unedited 128kbps and 192kbps MP3s. Sound stereo quality was excellent except that they lacked bass 'oomf.' These earbuds provide tons of bass on my other MP3 player and computer, but the phone's player isn't up to that high of a bar, however acceptable.

Would music sound better in the "My Music" player or the same you'd think?

- Follow up on my previous post...the "OEM" headset were knockoffs from HK.

Device(s)
    Black LG Chocolate (VX8500) on cherry V4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I was just wondering if this adaptor (EMU to 3.5mm) was a true stereo adaptor, or if it simply plays mono on both channels. If someone with the adapter could test it, that would be great. All you need is a song that you can easily tell the difference between both channels.

I'm hardwiring an AUX into my car and if the adapter doesn't reproduce true stereo, I could simply map the audio channel over both channels for well under 20 bucks. Thanks!

Device(s)
    Motorola V3m
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by integsrtite
    I was just wondering if this adaptor (EMU to 3.5mm) was a true stereo adaptor, or if it simply plays mono on both channels.
    Yes. It is a true stereo adapter.

Device(s)
    Motorola V3 & V600
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Well.. I went into cingular and bought the Motorola EMU to 3.5mm stereo headset adapter for my v3m, and I plugged it in (with my koss the plug headphones), and well... Nothing. The phone played the mp3 (I was playing one of my ringtones, yes i've seem edited the phone) through the speaker. Should the phone acknowledge the fact that there is a headset plugged into it? Some sort of icon or other confirmation. It seems to have an icon for pretty much everything else.

Is there another way I have to play the mp3 to get it to play through the headset? I did it through get it now, my music, and it brought up a list of the ringtones at the bottom. I dont have a tf card yet cause honestly I wanted to check the sound quality of the v3m before getting a memory card for it.

The adapter I purchased was labeled for the L7 in the cingular store, and looks exactly like the one that came with the phone, with the exception of the 3.5mm jack instead of the 2.5mm one.

As an aside, it had a price sticker that said 9.99 but when i took it up to the register, it rang up as 19.99, and the girl was like oh this is 19.99.

Thanks in advance,

George

Device(s)
    v3m
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I can't help but wonder if and when companies will start making some nice headphones for the v3m. I have the Motorola set from Verizon. They are okay but they don't really fit my ears very well. Hopefully someone will start manufacturing some better headphones that won't require the use of adapters. There is definitely a market for these headphones.

Device(s)
    Motorola V3 & V600
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff35080
    I can't help but wonder if and when companies will start making some nice headphones for the v3m. I have the Motorola set from Verizon. They are okay but they don't really fit my ears very well. Hopefully someone will start manufacturing some better headphones that won't require the use of adapters. There is definitely a market for these headphones.
    Can you please tell me if the phone gives you any sort of acknowledgement when you plug the headset into the phone? I'm assuming that the EMU to 3.5mm adapter just imitates the OEM headset being plugged into the phone.

Thanks in advance,

George

Device(s)
    v3m
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you have the earbuds in your ear when you plug them in the phone the phone will make a 'beep' noise.

Jeff

Device(s)
    V3m
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androulakis
    Well.. I went into cingular and bought the Motorola EMU to 3.5mm stereo headset adapter for my v3m, and I plugged it in (with my koss the plug headphones), and well... Nothing. The phone played the mp3 (I was playing one of my ringtones, yes i've seem edited the phone) through the speaker. Should the phone acknowledge the fact that there is a headset plugged into it? Some sort of icon or other confirmation. It seems to have an icon for pretty much everything else.
    The adapter I purchased was labeled for the L7 in the cingular store, and looks exactly like the one that came with the phone, with the exception of the 3.5mm jack instead of the 2.5mm one.

As an aside, it had a price sticker that said 9.99 but when i took it up to the register, it rang up as 19.99, and the girl was like oh this is 19.99.

Thanks in advance,

George
    That's the exact same one I bought (check my post above).

They work just fine for me. When you plug them in, there is no indication or icon. All music, even ringtones in "Get Tunes & Tones" should play only through the headphones.

Device(s)
    v3m
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    All music, even ringtones in "Get Tunes & Tones" should play only through the headphones.
    Oddly enough my 'stock' ringtones do play through my headphones when I get a call, but the ones I have uploaded don't for some reason.

Jeff

Device(s)
    Motorola V3 & V600
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Hrrmm.... Maybe that is the problem, that i'm playing a ringtone I uploaded to test the adapter out....
    I need to try again with one of the stock ringtones.

Best buy has 256mb transflash cards on sale for 17.99 after a 10% off coupon I got, so maybe I'll just take the plunge and throw in a memory card.

Take care,

George

Device(s)
    V3m
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    $18 for a 256MB TF isn't really the best deal.

I got my 1GB for $40...double the price and 3-4 times the capacity. I heard Staples is having a 1GB deal for $35. There are other good deals out there.

My $0.02.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast