Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Text messaging to/from Sprint phone in Europe

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Text messaging to/from Sprint phone in Europe

I have done searches on international roaming but could not find where this question was addressed.

My wife and I will be on a cruise in Europe in November. We have Sprint phones as do my sons. Will I be able to receive and/or send text messages from my sons at home while we're in Europe? If we can send/receive is there any added charges other than the standard $.10 per message? Would I need to activate international roaming to receive or send text messages. I called Sprint and the rep told me there wouldn't be any problems sending and receiving to another sprint phone but I am concerned about his knowledge on the question.

Thanks

Phone
    HTC Touch
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manchurianman
    I have done searches on international roaming but could not find where this question was addressed.

My wife and I will be on a cruise in Europe in November. We have Sprint phones as do my sons. Will I be able to receive and/or send text messages from my sons at home while we're in Europe? If we can send/receive is there any added charges other than the standard $.10 per message? Would I need to activate international roaming to receive or send text messages. I called Sprint and the rep told me there wouldn't be any problems sending and receiving to another sprint phone but I am concerned about his knowledge on the question.

Thanks
    Since Europe is GSM and Sprint is CDMA (two different wireless technologies), your sprint phone will not be able to connect to any cellular tower in Europe, thus no services (Voice, Data, Texts) will be operational. Your Sprint phone will continuously display "Searching for Service". You need a GSM phone which is compatible with European frequencies (900/1800) to use in Europe.

Good Luck.

Phone
    Motorola Q9c
    Carrier
    Sprint (Previous Nextel)
    Feedback Score
    Sprint has a web page that will answer all your questions

Sprint Int'l Roaming Info

Like the previous poster said... Europe is all GSM, and your CDMA phone will not work there. You can get a GSM SIM from Sprint (I think a $35 charge or the SIM and $6 per month). You can then take this SIM and put it in any unlocked GSM phone and your incoming calls will follow you to Europe. You can pick up an unlocked GSM Quadband phone on eBay for less then $50. You can also pick yourself up an unlocked GSM phone, and buy a prepaid SIM card once you get over there. This will allow you to make and receive calls, but you will have a local number so anyone calling you from the states would have to know your local number over there.

Since you're just going on a cruise, it seems hardly worth the trouble unless your the CEO of a Fortune 500 company or something. Enjoy your vacation and don't worry about the cell is my advice.

Carriers
    ATT
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If all you want to do is text/SMS - get a tri/quad band T-Mobile prepaid phone and sim card and you will have a US number and be able to recieve/send messages since T-Mobile is very large in Europe. With the quad/tri band T-mobile phone, you should also be able to pop in a Europe pre-paid T-Mo sim. Prepaid rates are here

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/prepaidrates.aspx

The Sprint phones just won't work. If you get an unlocked quad phone as suggested above, you can insert a T-mo prepaid so that you know what the number is in advance and rates are reasonable and definitely less than the roaming options Sprint offers.

You may want to check with the cruise line to see who the carrier is on board.

Phone
    Kyocera
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bradb21
    Like the previous poster said... Europe is all GSM,

Europe actually has quite a bit of CDMA....

Quote Originally Posted by bradb21
    your CDMA phone will not work there.

... and it's all at 450 MHz so this part of your statement ends up being true!

Phones
    Blackberry Tour
    Blackberry Tour - Wifey
    Blackberry Curve - Son
    Carrier
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score

SMS to another country

How can you text from the US to a phone in another country, such as europe?

Carriers
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (MobilePhone RL-4920/US/1.0) NetFront/3.1 MMP/2.0)

Quote Originally Posted by estroh
    How can you text from the US to a phone in another country, such as europe?
    011+country Code+number

Phones
    BlackBerry 8100 Pearl (Personal)
    Motorola V188 (Work)
    Samsung Anycall V720 (Korea)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA, SK Telecom (Korea), Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cctraderx
    If all you want to do is text/SMS - get a tri/quad band T-Mobile prepaid phone and sim card and you will have a US number and be able to recieve/send messages since T-Mobile is very large in Europe. With the quad/tri band T-mobile phone, you should also be able to pop in a Europe pre-paid T-Mo sim. Prepaid rates are here

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/prepaidrates.aspx

The Sprint phones just won't work. If you get an unlocked quad phone as suggested above, you can insert a T-mo prepaid so that you know what the number is in advance and rates are reasonable and definitely less than the roaming options Sprint offers.

You may want to check with the cruise line to see who the carrier is on board.
    Hate to break it to you champ, but T-Mobile USA does not allow their pre-paid cards to be used internationally, so your idea is no good. The rates they post are for texting from the US to int'l.

Phones
    Motorola V188 (Work)
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEngineer
    Europe actually has quite a bit of CDMA....

... and it's all at 450 MHz so this part of your statement ends up being true!
    Or at 2100 if you count WCDMA/UMTS/HSDPA.

Also, if I remember correctly, only Russia has CDMA in 450, and it isn't publicly available.

Phone
    Kyocera
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Portugal and a few other places have it, and IIRC, Norway was getting into the act. Sweet spectrum for coverage!

Carriers
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    If OP decided to go the GSM phone route, one of the international sims that works in several countries will be the best option. I use riiing/United mobile myself. I used it on a recent cruise the western caribbean and also in europe and was very satisfied. Yackie mobile is another one (new) that gives you a US number. I actually just ordered it too. A GSM phone is almost a must for any kind of international travel. I have 2 myself. So, as others have suggested, it's best to have one if you plan on travelling internationally.

More info on sims at the prepaid forum:

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/

Phones
    Motorola V188 (Work)
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Portugal and a few other places have it, and IIRC, Norway was getting into the act. Sweet spectrum for coverage!
    Still, it's probably like the KT iDEN network in Korea. It's so small that you can't even buy the phones in stores.

Phone
    Kyocera
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Actually, it's pretty big in Portugal. Don't know about the other areas.

Phones
    Motorola V188 (Work)
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Actually, it's pretty big in Portugal. Don't know about the other areas.
    Do you have a link to a provider in Portugal that is using it?

Phone
    Kyocera
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    No, sorry. I don't remember who they are. I should clarify that statement - I don't mean they are big in a business sense. I mean the network pretty well covers the country.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast