Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: BitPim v9.04... Here's what it can do...

Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score

BitPim v9.04... Here's what it can do...

We all know that native support of Ring Tones, Pictures, SMS, Contacts and Calendar for the V710, V710M, E815, E815m, V3C, and V3CM were added to the latest versions of BitPim...

In the Past, we used BitPim without seem edits to work with ringtones and picutres... But after reading the built in HELP it lead me to believe seem edits MIGHT be necessary.... And Even though I don't make use of BitPim.. I decided to take sometime and see what was possible...

NOTE: I did NOT test contacts and calendar functions yet....

So here is what I found....

Initial phone... Verizon V710 seem edited for the ID String of V710M, and 041A/offset 6A/Bit0 "checked" to enable file transfers in MPT... I had 118 ring tones... 7 pictures... on the phone.

Moto SKN6311C cable, BVRP's driver tool that comes with MPT v4.21A (for more info and D/L link see -> MPT Drivertool)

BitPim v9.04 from http://bitpim.org

Bitpim did autodetect the phone as a V710M.

I clicked GET Phone data.... selected wall paper, ring tones check box... OVER 20 min later!!! it showed me the tones and pictures on the phone...

I dragged an MP3 file from my desktop onto the BitPim window showing the tones already on the phone... It prompted me to convert the MP3 to a lower bitrate/sample rate.. and even had options that appear to allow me to trim it down. A few seconds later, it was shown in the list of ring tones... HOWEVER it was NOT on the phone...

To actually put it on the phone, you have to use the SEND Phone Data button.. BUT Since it took so long to read, I decided to not to write.. you do have a choice to ADD or REPLACE... Replace appears it will re-write ALL the tones back to the phone...

Next test... remove ALL but 3 tones from the phone... (one IMY, one MP3, and one MID)...
    Took two minutes to GET phone data... It showed my 3, plus the Eclipse.mp3, chainlink.mp3 and ui_start_up_mono.mp3 which are "system" or "hidden" ring tones... Basically it read in the entire contents of the /motorola/shared/Audio folder from the phone... Looking a the PICTURES... it read in all the stock pictures as well... everything from /motorola/shared/pictures.

Again, I dragged/dropped that one ring tone... I had a selection button for ADD or REPLACE when it came to the ring tones... This time, I did choose to write it... I selected ADD... it took less than a minute... I didn't have to restart the phone, it showed up, and played...

Next step..

Trying to delete... inside BitPim...

I selected my ring tone.. highlighted it, right clicked and selected DELETE... It disaapeared from BitPim... I clicked SEND Data To phone... it did its thing (saying busy at the bottom...) and when it was finished, i looked at the phone... the TONE is still there...

REMOVING THE two seem edits... PHONE ID, and 041A/6A/Bit0... Phone ID string changed back to V710, and Offset 6A, bit 0 UNCHECKED...

Everything worked the same, except.. When I clicked SEND PHONE DATA, I did not have the choice to ADD ring tones.. only REPLACE ALL!!! So I selected that and clicked OK... a few minutes later... and BitPim Said "ready" in the bottom... BUT The ring tone was NOT on the phone.

So, in bitpim's listing of ring tones on the phone... Right click on one of my custom ring tones (named 11727.mp3) ... from the pop-up, select REPLACE... a "browse" window came up, asking me to locate the ring tone file on the pc... i highlighted another MP3 (41774.mp3)... again I was presented with the option to convert... then click OK... The ring tone still showed the original file name on the screen... I clicked SEND DATA TO PHONE... it did its thing... about two minutes later... it had replaced the RingTone on the phone... THe file on the phone was still named 11727.MP3 but when you played it, it was now the sound from 41774.mp3 on the PC... so BitPim did Overwrite the existing tone...

I performed the same tests on my E815 with the same results...

Net effect... EXCEPT that BitPim did NOT autodetect the phone... I had to manually config.

To ADD NEW ring tones, the phone had to have the 6A/Bit0 seem edit, and be manually configured as E815M.

Based on the Built in help... the V3C should be the same as the E815... it can be auto detected, and REPLACE pictures and ring tones already on the phone.. BUT Not add

The E815M and V3CM can NOT be autodetected, you have to manually select, but it CAN ADD picutures and ring tones...

So for FREE... after seem editing your phone, and manually configuring BitPim for the "M" model of your phone, you can use it as a good, all be it slow, alternative to MPT for adding ring tones and wall papers to your phone.... But to delete, you'll have to use the phone's menus...

Now, as for SMS messages... BitPim read all the TEXT messages in the V710's inbox, but NOT the OUTBOX... I had only 1 text messages in the INBOX on my E815 to test with... and yes, it read that. All my messages are PLAIN TEXT...

Still to come.. Calendar and Contacts...
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 07-07-2006 at 03:48 PM.
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!

New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

Device(s)
    MOTO SLVR-telus on f/w w/ opera mini!!
    Carrier(s)
    V E R I Z O N
    Feedback Score
    good job, nice alternative for people who dont want to buy MPT or cant find a upgradable version online
    must of took u awhile to do all this
    dancin, smokin, drinkin, slowly blinkin, just another cali weekend

you don't got the guts to be what you want to be - scarface

why drink n drive when you can smoke and fly..

Device(s)
    V3M
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have v3m
    using the filesystem browser in bitpim, I was able to browse the phone like I would in p2kcommander (it doesn't crash like p2kcommander thank god), and it doesn't take long since it's just browsing the phone instead of copying the files off of the phone to view it like using "phone book, calendar..etc" which can takes more than 20 min like Mark said.
    but I ran into a problem where when I went to get ringtons (a/motorola/share/audio) and tried to copy any file to computer, new window came up and told me this:

Access Denied
    Acess to the file/directory has been blocked on this phone by the phone provider.

this window shows up in many folder directories.

any idea how to "open-up" the phone so this window doesn't show up?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by firebirdstation
    ...but I ran into a problem where when I went to get ringtons (a/motorola/share/audio) and tried to copy any file to computer, new window came up and told me this:

Access Denied
    Acess to the file/directory has been blocked on this phone by the phone provider.

this window shows up in many folder directories.

any idea how to "open-up" the phone so this window doesn't show up?
    there is no way around this... that is why the GUI portion working is important....

Besides... how many people have 100+ ring tones one the phone with 3 or 4, its only a few minutes...

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I loaded it but havent run it yet. Last time it took forever the first time it read the media, close to an hour.
    kbman

Droid RAZR M/HD MSM8960 does HSPA+ on US GSM carriers!

If we knew what we were doing, they wouldn't call it research. - Albert Einstein

Read more, post less.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kbman
    I loaded it but havent run it yet. Last time it took forever the first time it read the media, close to an hour.
    come to think of it... I did the tests WITHOUT THE TF card in the phones!!! the 117 ring tones was 4.95 Meg of data...

Wonder what would happen with it in, as I have more tones and some FULL length MP3's I use walking between buildings... maybe SUNDAY I'll try that...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Some additional notes...

Data is HELD in BitPim, even if you launch it with the phone disconnected....

Only Calendar, PhoneBook, Ring Tone and Wall Paper data can be written back to the phone.

When writing back, as stated before, deletions do NOT appear to be written back to the phone... i.e. delete in BitPim's GUI, and it doesn't get deleted from the phone...

For SMS data...
    Only the inbox appears to get read from my V710m phone. Not the Outbox.
    Both the inbox and out box do appear to be read from my E815m phone!!
    You can NOT write SMS message data back to the phone.
    So, no you can't use this as a way to backup/restore your SMS messages, just BACKUP.
    SMS messages can be exported to a Comma Separated/Delimited Value text file.
    headders/fields are...
    Code:
    "Date","From","To","Subj","Text","Priority","Read","Locked","Callback","Folder"
    SMS messages can also be exported to a MBOX formatted file easier for reading.... Example..
    From nobody Sat Jul 08 08:34:06 2006
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    To: self
    Subject: <None>
    Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:35:00 -0500

FREE VZW Message. 1st Notice: Your Pix Place account has been inactive for 150 days. Log onto www.vzwpix.com within 30 days or your content will be deleted.
    Note: I did NOT have any MultiMedia Messages (i.e. Pix messages) on my phone when reading the SMS data. So currently I can NOT say how they get handled.

For Ring Tones...
    It will read/list all files in the /motorola/shared/audio folder, including the STOCK/Built in tones.
    In the FILE pull down menu, under EXPORT are options for "Media to Folder" which will dump all Pictures/Ringtones from the phone into a folder of your choice on the PC, or "Media to FILE" which will dump all Pictures/Ringtones from the phone into a ZIP file on the PC...
    On Export, it divides them into images and ringer folders...

For Pictures...
    It will read/list all files in the /motorola/shared/pictures folder, including the STOCK/Built in pictures, and .EMS animated graphics...
    In the FILE pull down menu, under EXPORT are options for "Media to Folder" which will dump all Pictures/Ringtones from the phone into a folder of your choice on the PC, or "Media to FILE" which will dump all Pictures/Ringtones from the phone into a ZIP file on the PC...
    On Export, it divides them into images and ringer folders...

For the Transflash card...
    My tests conclude BitPim will NOT read the contents of the TF card in the GUI or its "native support" for pictures or ring tones...
    To access the TF card, you must Use the VIEW pull down menu and select File System. BitPim will now have a File System icon on the list. Click on it. Click the + to expand the listing. The TF card shows as MMC1
    You can right click a folder, and select NEW FILE to add something to the card.
    Right click on the file on the card to SAVE to PC, or DELETE.

For Phone Book data,
    you can export to a Comma Separated/Delimited Value text file (.CSV) which can be imported into your favorite PIM application....
    Headders/fields are...
    Code:
    names_title,names_first,names_middle,names_last,names_full,names_nickname,numbers_number,numbers_type,numbers_speeddial,numbers_number,numbers_type,numbers_speeddial,numbers_number,numbers_type,numbers_speeddial,categories_category
    For Calendar data,
    there is a menu option to SYNC with OUTLOOK...
    calendar items can also be exported to a .CSV file...
    headders/fields are...
    Code:
    "Start","End","Description","Location","Priority","Alarm","All-Day","Notes","Categories","Ringtone","Wallpaper","Repeat Type","Repeat Interval","Repeat Interval2","Day-of-Week","Excluded Dates"
    You can specify export ALL entries, or a data range..

Note: I still haven't done complete tests of contacts/calendar items yet...
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 07-08-2006 at 08:29 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    KBMAN just send me a MMS message.. Nice woody wood pecker!!

Anyway.. going into BitPim... Reading SMS data... (took the option to REPLACE, rather than ADD)

MMS messages are not exactly read/displayed/exported...

Example (MBOX Format) of the MMS message KBMAN sent me (phone number removed)...
    From nobody Sat Jul 08 09:31:29 2006
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    To: self
    Subject: <None>
    Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 09:23:00 -0400

Yo!/a/motorola/mms/1152350595.inb003E454FABFE00005C000001
    the GUI shows the same kind of details...

BitPim DID read my OUTBOX (using my E815m, with seem 2742/offset6A/Bit0 "checked") [EDIT]And did display the message in the GUI[/EDIT][/b] BUT did NOT include that in the EXPORT

I have 5 messages in the inbox, 1 in the outbox, for a total of 6... I did FILE -> EXPORT -> SMS... made sure ALL (6) was choosen rather than "SELECTED (5)"... only the INBOX items appear in the EXPORT file...
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 07-08-2006 at 09:00 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think this is consisent with MPT as far as the outbox goes. I haven't really played around much with it because I always clear mine out anyway, but I don't recall any app that is able to read and save the outbox.

Oh and Woody is waaay cool! He's my wallpaper right now and the woody laugh is my inbox tone.
    Last edited by kbman; 07-08-2006 at 09:02 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kbman
    I think this is consisent with MPT as far as the outbox goes. I haven't really played around much with it because I always clear mine out anyway, but I don't recall any app that is able to read and save the outbox.

Oh and Woody is waaay cool! He's my wallpaper right now and the woody laugh is my inbox tone.
    I edited my post to be a little more clear.. BitPim does read the Phone's Outbox, and displays the message on the PC.. But for some reason, it will not EXPORT the outbox messages to a file on the PC, like it does with the INBOX messages... Bug perhaps??

When it comes to MPT and SMS messages... use Menu -> Recieve -> In Box... it presents you with a window showing folders... the PHone's OUTBOX is displayed as SENT Messages in MPT... If the data wasn't read from the phone, from that window you can do a Tools -> Send/Receive -> Retrieve SMS... and it will read it in...

From there, you CAN export the "sent messages" to a plain text file on the PC... by doing FILE -> SAVE AS...

Of course, using MPT, you can also export the Inbox by doing a FILE -> Save As...

But MPT only exports the SELECTED messages... so you must select them ALL before you do the save as...

Also, MPT will save every selected message as its own text file on the PC... i.e. if you have 5 messages selected to save in MPT, it will make 5 individual text files on the PC... Where as BitPim puts all in one text file...
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 07-08-2006 at 09:22 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Oy! Its taking forever again. Gotta love how everything works while its still accessing the phone! Logged in on Opera mini while waiting.

Device(s)
    Motorola V3m
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    i have a v3m and can't get it to connect. i used the drivers suggested and it tells me 'error moving from brew to obex.' then on subsequent tries it says 'error going from none to phonebook.'

i didn't do any seem edits because mark had said he did them, but then took them off. do i really have to do the seem edit?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mediageek413
    i have a v3m and can't get it to connect. i used the drivers suggested and it tells me 'error moving from brew to obex.' then on subsequent tries it says 'error going from none to phonebook.'
    Exit BitPim. Disconnect the phone from the PC... Turn the phone off.. count to 10, turn the phone back on, re-connect it...

Start Bitpim (no other apps open)...

click Settings from the Edit pull down menu. Use the Phone Type Box to select your model phone, In your case use V3C... Even if you know the "com port" do not manually set it. Instead, click the Browse button to the right of the Comm Port. A window will pop-up and scan ports. It will have 3 "sections" listing Available Ports, Ports Not Available, and Inoperable Ports. Select your phone (Motorola USB Modem) from the listing of Available Ports and Click OK.
    i didn't do any seem edits because mark had said he did them, but then took them off. do i really have to do the seem edit?
    if you want to ADD ring tones or pictures.. the seem edit is necessary...

Without the seem edit, you can only OVERWRITE existing files...

I only un-did the seem edit to test and see what the capabilites were if we didn't seem edit the phone...

Device(s)
    Motorola V3m
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    got my phone to connect fine now
    but it doesn't show any ringers i emailed myself 2 ringers but neither of them show up. i even recorded a new voice memo and made it a ringer but it didn't show up either.
    i didn't really want to seem edit my phone but looks like i may have to. any other suggestions??

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    got my phone to connect fine now
    but it doesn't show any ringers i emailed myself 2 ringers but neither of them show up. i even recorded a new voice memo and made it a ringer but it didn't show up either.
    i didn't really want to seem edit my phone but looks like i may have to. any other suggestions??
    And you clicked the GET Phone data icon (from the upper right, just below the pull down menus)?

Did BitPim read your contacts in at all? or pictures?

Try using the File System... see if you have anything in the /motorola/shared/Audio folder...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast