Feedback Score

What is Voice Privacy ?

What is voice privacy, an option that is currently set to ON on my VX8300

Phone
    LG 8300
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I believe from reading the manual ( some time ago ) that it makes it harder for bystanders to hear what the person on the other end of your phone is saying

Phones
    Samsung Rogue (current)
    LG VX9800 (backup)
    Moto v300 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    From my 9800 manual:

Voice Privacy
    Allows you to set the voice privacy feautures for CDMA calls as Enhanced or Standard. CDMA offers inherent voice privacy. Check with your service provider for availability.

Phones
    Palm Treo 700w
    Motorola Q
    LG VX9800
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    and that means.....
    PDA Lineage:
    Palm Pilot 1000 > Handspring Visor Deluxe > Palm V > Palm m130 > Apple Newton MessagePad 2100 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Casio Cassiopeia e125 > Tandy TRS-80 Model 100 > Dell Axim x50v > Motorola Q > Palm Treo 700w

Phone Lineage:
    LG VX3200 > POS Nokia Phone > LG VX9800 > Motorola Q > Palm Treo 700w

Phone
    VX8360
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you move your ear away from the phone, the volume drops.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just got off the phone with Verizon. The voice privacy is to make sure that if someone is trying to listen in on your call (scanning or whatever) they will not be able to. I was also told that it is kinda pointless on an all digital phone because the call should not be able to be listened to, even with privacy off, unless someone is using equipment that cost lots of money.

Phones
    Droid, Env-Touch, Dare,
    Hers Voyager, retired..u900Flipshot, u740 ,LG vx8100 backup
    Son HTC touch, vx9900 retired
    Carrier
    Verizon wireless formerly Airtouch
    Feedback Score
    ummm

i always thought it refered to what the phone mic picked up, in other words, voice privicy meant the other person would hear you, but not the background noise where you are at, and if you didn't hold the phone close or speakup , it would clip your voice and make you sound choppy, something to turn off if you are trying to use 'speaker phone mode'
    TheMopedwhiz aka TheeWizard, a member of the Verizon Wireless Customer Council

Phones
    HTC Touch Sprint
    Moto Q9C Sprint
    Motorola KRZR K1m
    Carriers
    Sprint (Official)
    Sprint (via hacked NAM profile)
    Feedback Score
    This question comes up time and time again, and it's never clearly answered. I didn't know there was this much confusion.

VOICE PRIVACY IS (in my words): 'encryption' for your conversation. When you have voice privacy enabled, anything leaving your phone will be 'encoded' into packets that will make no sense if 'intercepted' by an amateur with a yagi who wants to listen to conversations, unless, of course, he has a decryption program, as well.

As I understand it: CDMA has inherent (built in) voice protection - it's encoded at one tower, and decoded by the final tower - but that still can leave you open from your handset to the tower (this is where I may be incorrect, CDMA may be encrypted from the moment your voice becomes a carrier signal) - which is why you may wish to use voice privacy.

In more technical terms (from SamsungUSA, with special regard to the SCH-A650):
    Voice privacy is a feature of the handset to encrypt the outgoing transmission of the phone. This ensures that any signal that could be intercepted from the phone will not be usable.
    NuAngel
    Sign it? I haven't even finished reading it...