Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Howto for ringtones and wallpapers on Chocolate (vx8500) pics included.

Device(s)
    LG VX8700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Howto for ringtones and wallpapers on Chocolate (vx8500) pics included.

Part 1
    1. Install the drivers included with the M3K kit or if you can find the drivers elsewhere please install those first.
    2. Install the latest version of bitpim (www.bitpim.org), I am working with 9.05 official.
    3. Get ready to have MP3 ringers without having to do stupid re-encodes, all you have to do is find your favorite 30 second segment and cut using Audacity. (All ringers are stored on phone not on memory card.)

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Part 2
    Connect the USB cable and then please open bitpim. Once there please click on the "Edit" menu and select "Detect Phone". You shall recieve a message that states: "Other CDMA phone on COM*" (* = number that your com port is, it varies per person). Click okay.

If you haven't already enabled the filesystem view please do so by the following. Click "View" and make sure "View Filesystem" has a checkmark next to it.

Navigate to the "/brew/16452/lk/mr" folder. This is where you can place mp3 files to select as ringtones.

If you navigate to the "/brew/16452/mp" folder. This is where you can place jpg files for wallpapers. (Gif also works as well.)

TO REITERATE:
    Please place all mp3 files in "/brew/16452/lk/mr" folder!
    Please place all image files in "/brew/16452/mp" folder!

Part 3
    Enjoy the ringtones and wallpapers that you have put on. I did receive some errors with very large wallpapers so keep it simple and resize them to 640 x foobar (foobar = height after a constrained resizing).

LG VX8700 QUICK TIPS
    dial: "##program8700", hit send, six zeros and enjoy changing the options.
    Wallpapers are 240x274.
    Sending images and MP3 ringers via email DOES WORK!

Device(s)
    LG VX8500 Chocolate
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wait, is this the only way to port custom wallpapers into the Chocolate? With a USB cable?

Wow, if so, I'm dissapointed.

But can you place pictures on an SD card, and then use them as wallpapers? Or do they HAVE to go onto the onboard memory of the phone (I know ringers have to be in the phone, but wallpapers too)?

Device(s)
    XV6800
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9800/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

I'm sure there are other ways to do it. Take a look at some of the tutorials for other LG phones in this forum. I don't have this phone so I can't do any kind of checking on it. This is probably his/her first time doing a "Howto".
    bxlegend
    Mobile phone owner since 1999.

Device(s)
    HTC Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ugene91
    Wait, is this the only way to port custom wallpapers into the Chocolate? With a USB cable?

Wow, if so, I'm dissapointed.

But can you place pictures on an SD card, and then use them as wallpapers? Or do they HAVE to go onto the onboard memory of the phone (I know ringers have to be in the phone, but wallpapers too)?
    you could do that way..i did it...i just got the Hyori Lee and Jessica Alba pic with the same size the chocolate screen requires and i just put it on my transflash and i just selected the pictures and option. move/copy and it copied to the phone

Device(s)
    LG VX8500 Chocolate
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Whew thank god. Haha, Hyori Lee eh. In conjunction with Jessica Alba.
    Well found.

Device(s)
    XV6800
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9800/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Quote Originally Posted by pat.ter.rick
    you could do that way..i did it...i just got the Hyori Lee and Jessica Alba pic with the same size the chocolate screen requires and i just put it on my transflash and i just selected the pictures and option. move/copy and it copied to the phone
    He meant like using Bluetooth to connect to Bitpim and using the card to store ringtones and wallpaper. I'm sure you can accomplish this using these optional ways.
    Last edited by bxlegend; 08-15-2006 at 11:58 PM.

Device(s)
    LG VX8500 Chocolate
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bxlegend
    He meant like using Bluetooth to connect to Bitpim and using the card to store ringtones and wallpaper. I'm sure you can accomplish this using these optional ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by ME
    But can you place pictures on an SD card, and then use them as wallpapers?
    Never thought I'd quote myself. But yes, I was asking for the microSD/TF method. As I don't have bluetooth on my computer (slightly outdated now ) I can't use the method you described. But using a TF sounds easy enough, as soon as I buy an adapter (I lost mine a while back)

Device(s)
    BB 9630
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for the easy to follow guide.

Feedback Score
    Hey, I just did exactly what was in the pictures and my phone won't recognize the mp3 i put into the mr folder. i bought an ringtone from verizon and that was there. are there format/size restrictions? can they even be mp3 ringers? Also I was using a Mac when doing this so that could be an issue as well. the file size i was putting up was about 560K.

Device(s)
    LG VX8700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have put mp3 ringers in there with no-rencoding necessary just cut a 30 second clip from audacity and saved it as a new file.

Device(s)
    LG Chocolate
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by severedlim
    Hey, I just did exactly what was in the pictures and my phone won't recognize the mp3 i put into the mr folder. i bought an ringtone from verizon and that was there. are there format/size restrictions? can they even be mp3 ringers? Also I was using a Mac when doing this so that could be an issue as well. the file size i was putting up was about 560K.
    same problem! i put a 30sec mp3 in the folder as specified...however i do not see anything on the phone. whats up with that!

Device(s)
    LG VX10000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the guide! I would have never found the correct directory if it weren't for your guide.

Device(s)
    HTC Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    the guide was great but when i got the pictures in the folder and went to go push send data to phone it like wouldnt let me any1 knw y??

Device(s)
    HTC Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I unplugged it to hope it would just go on my phone but nothing went on it i need help with the final part please.

Device(s)
    LG VX8700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Okay what do you need help with? After adding the files to the folder, power cycle the phone (Off and then On). Then they should appear.

Additionally since I can't edit my initial post for some reason the dimensions of the screen are 240x320, so please resize all images to 240xfoobar.
    Last edited by fumanchu182; 08-16-2006 at 07:41 PM.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast