Thread: CU500 remove Java permission prompt how-to

Phones
    Nexus One (AT&T 3G)
    Rogers G1 (unlocked AT&T 3G)
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

CU500 remove Java permission prompt how-to

Warning, I don't take any responsibility for this hack. Proceed at your own risk. Some hacking will be required. I'm not going to provide instructions on how to install drivers or use these tools, other forum members are willing to fill in that information.

You will need to find and install QPST, and have the LG Modem drivers installed that provide the Debug Port. You will have to find these on your own they can't be posted here as far as I know.

You will need to use the EFS Explorer to modify a java permission file on the phone to allow all access by default for all java apps.

Navigate EFS Explorer to LGAPP\Media\Java\ams

Copy the file "permission" from that directory to your computer. Modify it (on your computer using wordpad or notepad) and replace it's entire contents with the following.

domain: Un-trusted
    allow: data_network_1
    allow: data_network_2
    allow: comm_connectivity_options
    allow: all_app_autostart
    allow: user_data_read_capability
    allow: messaging_1
    allow: messaging_2
    allow: multimedia_recording

Once you have saved the modified file, copy it back to the same directory on the phone and overwrite it.

Once this is done you will need to turn off and on your phone.

Very important: You will need to delete and then re-install any java applications you have installed in order to make the new security permissions take affect. Currently installed apps will keep the old permissions so this has to be done.

I tested with flurry mail and google maps. I never get prompted for security permissions.

If someone could upload their permission file I would appreciate it as I forgot ot back mine up.

-James

Phones
    iPhone 2G 8GB
    Blackberry Curve 8310
    Blackjack II
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone else tried this yet?

Nice job JMcdonald!

Just ordered the cu500 online and am awaiting delivery. Looks like this will be one of the first things I'll do as I was worried about the Java perm issue. I use google maps alot and it sounded like quite a hassle to use with the perm thing.

Now.... Any luck finding a hack for the ascending ringtone???

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ah, very nice! I'll be sure to try this tonight when I get home from work.

Congrats, Jmacdonald801!

(If no one else has yet posted a copy of their default perms file for ya, I'll do it tonight after I get home).

Feedback Score
    Can you do this with bluetooth or do you have to have a cable?

I loaded QPST but I can't get it to see my phone via bluetooth.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kdonnel
    Can you do this with bluetooth or do you have to have a cable?

I loaded QPST but I can't get it to see my phone via bluetooth.
    Pretty sure you can only do this via cable, but won't swear to that.

Feedback Score
    I got a cable tonight and made the change.

I did not replace the entire file but instead went to the bottom of the file and found the domain: Un-trusted line and replaced the data there with your suggestion.

I deleted Opera and reloaded. I am not prompted for permission at all.

Attached is the original file. I had to add a ".txt" extension so I could attach it to this post.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Phone
    A phone of some sort
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    wow, this may be enough for me to buy the cu500... it just seems like the only complete phone out now, i just wish the screen was more like 2.2 inch

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yup, this worked for me, too. I just did it.

Sorry I didn't post my default perm file last night, jmacdonald! I ended up being really busy last night and didn't have time to do anything with my phone. (I see kdonnel posted his though. Thanks for doing that).

Big thanks, again, to jmacdonald for finding this and sharing the info! I'm sure this will make many CU500 users very happy!

Phones
    Nexus One (AT&T 3G)
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kdonnel
    I got a cable tonight and made the change.

I did not replace the entire file but instead went to the bottom of the file and found the domain: Un-trusted line and replaced the data there with your suggestion.

I deleted Opera and reloaded. I am not prompted for permission at all.

Attached is the original file. I had to add a ".txt" extension so I could attach it to this post.
    Wise choice, I wanted to do that but forgot to back mine up

Phones
    Nexus One (AT&T 3G)
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This is the first attempt at a hack. Glad I could help.

As a java developer by trade, I was convinced there was a way to do this after I learned about QPST.

If anyone has a more recent version of QPST that recognized the CU500 natively instead of partially, maybe there is more I could figure out.

-James

Feedback Score
    This is a bit off topic, but:

First of all, awesome hack! Great work!

The thing I'd most like to figure out now is how to get the music player to stream music even when the flip is closed. This is my last annoyance with this phone. It plays music just fine with the flip closed so long as they're just mp3's, but if I try to play music using mobiradio (mobitv) or the default music player streaming from orb.com or somafm.com or something similar, it closes the app as soon as I close the flip and the music stops.

I am positive this is either a bug or an intentionally crippled feature. There's no reason they would have to force the phone to stop the running app when the flip is closed.

- paul

Phones
    Nexus One (AT&T 3G)
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't say intentionally crippled, but perhaps short sighted.

I can't think of a way to do it without an upgraded firmware.

-James

Phones
    BlackBerry 8800
    lg cu500
    t637
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This was a great tip.

Spent a lot of time finding the required software (especially the modem...as an old driver simply hung up my whole machine).

I ended up using the "session:" setting instead of "allow:", so that I am still prompted for security reasons...but only once if I so choose.

Feedback Score
    Would anyone be able to upload the modified "permission" text? I must be dense or too tired but I'm not sure if I'm editing the focument correctly.

TIA

Phones
    LG CU500
    Moto V551 (*shudder*)
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for this tip; I'll be sure to try it as soon as my data cable arrives. Having to hit 'allow' each time I try to view a page in the Opera browser (free and way better than the internal browser) really defeats the point of using it.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast