Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: VX8500: Accessing NVM directory and LC subdirectory (mini guide)

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

VX8500: Accessing NVM directory and LC subdirectory (mini guide)

Thanks to bfoos for all his help.

This isn't much.. but perhaps it will bring us closer to finding ways to change the animations / backgrounds and uploading custom themes.

1: You need LGDownload, and the vx8300 dll.. search around on here, and Rapidshare, you should find them both. (I used version 1.3.6.3 of LGDownload)

2: Install the DLL and LGDownload.. reboot when prompted after installing LGDownload.

3: Open LGDownload, in the top right bar you will see a button labeled DLL next to a button labeled DLL with a check under it... first press the DLL with the Check Mark under it to enable user DLL selection.. then press the DLL button. Click the Tri Mode folder and select the VX8300 dll on the right (double click).

4: On the left in the Download Shortcut bar, click on NV Edit, and then click on NV Edit Start. It will prompt you for a code, it is 000000.

5: This now puts your phone into DM mode. While it is in this mode it will say "Service Required" or "No Service"...now open up BitPim (or QPST if you have it) and browse the filesystem. You should now see the plus sign next to the "nvm" folder, and you can now view all its subdirectories and save the tree to your local harddrive to play with. You can now save or hexdump the brew/16452/lk/lc files locally.

6: When you're done exit BitPim and LGDownload, simply restart your phone to remove it from DM mode and it will come back up with normal service.

Hopefully this leads to much more. Thanks again Bfoos.

Sorry for the no screencaps, but the directions are pretty strat forward.. a

Device(s)
    LG VX9100 (Env2) VX910V07
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Oh, it should be noted that you don't need to keep lgdownload running. Once the phone is in DM mode and the NV items have been read, you can close lgdownload. Also, I probably wouldn't advise using lgdownload to write anything to the phone using the 8300 dll.

Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bfoos
    Oh, it should be noted that you don't need to keep lgdownload running. Once the phone is in DM mode and the NV items have been read, you can close lgdownload. Also, I probably wouldn't advise using lgdownload to write anything to the phone using the 8300 dll.
    Tooo late... already edited the MMS server to use Humpa's... works fine

and to edit the VoiceMail call back number so it also does the "pause" then password followed by #
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!

New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Mark, any suggestions as to finding the actual files used for the animated opening / closing sequences and the wallpapers rock and jazz? I'm attempting to find a way to get custom animations on the phone, but sure enough it's a royal pain in the *** to locate these files / their containers..
    Last edited by Enigma735; 08-17-2006 at 01:18 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    Tooo late... already edited the MMS server to use Humpa's... works fine

and to edit the VoiceMail call back number so it also does the "pause" then password followed by #
    Good to know. I just didn't want any angry PMs if someone bricked their phone. I had a feeling you could edit and write (I did on my 8300 using the 8100 dll).

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Starting to get the feeling it will be impossible to get custom animations on this phone heh.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma735
    Mark, any suggestions as to finding the actual files used for the animated opening / closing sequences and the wallpapers rock and jazz? I'm attempting to find a way to get custom animations on the phone, but sure enough it's a royal pain in the *** to locate these files / their containers..
    Sorry, got wrapped up with Humpa on the MMS stuff... then got too late.. my day is booked with meetings so I'm not going to be able to play until late, if at all tonight...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Here's the dll for the 8500 so you guys don't have to use the 8300 dll anymore.

http://rapidshare.de/files/29765435/...r_0_0_32_0.msi

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, got wrapped up with Humpa on the MMS stuff... then got too late.. my day is booked with meetings so I'm not going to be able to play until late, if at all tonight...
    I've downloaded the entire filesystem to my desktop, save the ringtones / mp3's... I have explored every .bar file with the Brew Resource Editor.. looking at the embedded bmp's.. but none of them are the flash wallpapers..

I have not been able to access the .mif files.. the MIF editor wont open them.. gives me an error.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bfoos
    Here's the dll for the 8500 so you guys don't have to use the 8300 dll anymore.

http://rapidshare.de/files/29765435/...r_0_0_32_0.msi
    Cool Thankyou!!!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    interesting... using the VX8500 DLL, go NV EDIT... goto the MMS tab.... the MMSC Post field is NOT displayed so it can't be edited...

this impacts using Humpa's MMS server... see -> http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=981492

Device(s)
    TBolt, DroidX, Incredible, Droid1, Omnia II, HTC Imagio, BB Tour, BB Storm,Touch,Dare,Voyager
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    interesting... using the VX8500 DLL, go NV EDIT... goto the MMS tab.... the MMSC Post field is NOT displayed so it can't be edited...

this impacts using Humpa's MMS server... see -> http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=981492
    You can also edit the nvm_lg_param file - all those MMS settings are in there too. Along with the Voicemail number and the Pix Place link (the one found in the Get Pix & Flix > Pix Place). And the EVDO username's are in the nvm_data file.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Btw, with the phone in DM mode, it appears that BitPim has FULL Access to ALL files/folders on the phone... even those were you would normally get "folder blocked by provider"...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I first learned of that for the 8100 which inspired me to use the 8100 dll on my 8300 which in turn inspired me to get Enigma735 to try the 8300 dll on his 8500. It's a handy way to make a complete file system backup of your phone.

Device(s)
    LG VX-8500 (Chocolate)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm getting a com port error... it is not auto detecting the phone, even though the drivers are loaded correctly, and if I try manually selecting the com port, the NVM EDIT remains greyed out.

ANy ideas?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast