Thread: Tracfone worked in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Phone
    Samsung Alias (SCH-u740)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Tracfone worked in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Just thought I'd share this tidbit of information...

I was in the Dominican Republic earlier this month on vacation. I'd brought my Tracfone with me thinking it wouldn't work. When we arrived Punta Cana, my friend tried calling home with her brand new Razr post-paid Cingular phone. She was furious when it didn't work because she'd called Cingular the week before to ensure that it would work.

I tried by little Motorola v60i and it worked! In fact, I used it often during the week to call home and the coverage was fabulous.

I was shocked but very happy.

Phones
    Droid 3, SE W518,
    Atrix HD, HTC 8925
    Carrier
    Net10, TMO, H2O, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I have read of TracFones working in other countries, where the frequencies are compatable, and your underlying carrier has roaming agreements. However, when the foreign carrier charges your carrier for the usage, you may get a notice from TracFone, and have your service cut-off.

Carrier
    Platinumtel
    Feedback Score
    i would say 20 or so min is fine, just dont do any hour long calls(tracfone prob pays like $4 min)

Phones
    LG Vu CU920
    Motorola RAZR V3xx (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I used my Nokia 2126i in Freeport, Bahamas when I was there at the beginning of August. It was using analog the whole time, I guess there's no digital there. My service never got cut off either. I used it quite a few times. Now I have a GSM phone and moved my number to that phone. I wish I had a GSM phone at that point to see if it would get shut off. My sister had her Cingular phone and it got a signal, but she wouldn't use it because of roaming charges.

Phones
    Palm Centro
    Motorola Razr
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS (SERO)
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if a gsm tracfone will work in freeport?

Phones
    Droid 3, SE W518,
    Atrix HD, HTC 8925
    Carrier
    Net10, TMO, H2O, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dustenm
    Does anyone know if a gsm tracfone will work in freeport?
    The major carrier in the Bahamas was TDMA/Analog, now converting to GSM. I think I read that their GSM is only 1900 Mhz, currently, and that someone did use a GSM TracFone, there.

Phone
    Samsung Alias (SCH-u740)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It's been about a month since our trip to the Dominican Republic and so far, I've had no news from Tracfone regarding the calls I made.