Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: ** HOW TO Transfer DATA on Samsung A640 - Photos / Ringtones!

Phone
    Apple iPhone 16GB White
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I did that volume adjustment, but it still didn't work, it was really quiet and crappy quality.

MIDIs are decent since no conversion is required, but they aren't nearly as loud as the official ringtones from VXL.

Phone
    Nokia e71
    Carrier
    Petro Canada
    Feedback Score
    LazyHack : I downloaded one game from virgin already but I hate it. To bad really as it cost me $5 --- heres a pic of the file structure

Last edited by *Centurion; 01-04-2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Image link now ok

Phone
    Apple iPhone 16GB White
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by *Centurion
    LazyHack : I downloaded one game from virgin already but I hate it. To bad really as it cost me $5 --- heres a pic of the file structure
    I don't know much about this, but I've seen sites that have cell phone games for download before... so if they are similar filetypes, I should be able to use Bitpim and send phone data instead, right?

Centurion, which phone did you set it to for getting the data? I would imagine we would use the same one for sending it.

Phone
    Nokia e71
    Carrier
    Petro Canada
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TedHead
    I don't know much about this, but I've seen sites that have cell phone games for download before... so if they are similar filetypes, I should be able to use Bitpim and send phone data instead, right?

Centurion, which phone did you set it to for getting the data? I would imagine we would use the same one for sending it.

I was able to make Directorys and send the files to the phone by selecting the a640, upon rebooting my phone the files don't show though when selecting (my stuff). After I reconnect to BitPim the files are still on my phone so it seems the amsregistry is the issue and not picking up the new files

Phones
    BB Storm
    Samsung SPH-A680 (parked)
    Samsung SPH-A580
    Feedback Score
    @Centurion: you should be able to del the amsregistry (make a backup first just in case), and it will get rebuilt. Ive been finding that most of the jad/jar files from the net dont have a proper _jad for the samsungs. Need to edit the Jad URL in notepad to be some kind of http valid address like:
    MIDlet-Jar-URL: http://10.10.10.10/namethatwastherebefore.jar
    instead of the usual
    MIDlet-Jar-URL: namethatwastherebefore.jar

Feedback Score
    Folks

Someone please help here. I downloaded and installed all the programs and followed instructions exactly. I have a sprint SPH-A640 phone. It appears that bitpim always partially downloads the addressbook into my pc. I never seem to be able to download the entire list. Pictures work fine allthough I am unable to view it in regular Paint or viewer. I assume this is some special compression requiring adobe.

I would like to get my entire address book. Is there anything I need to do? Please advice.

Phone
    Samsung A640
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TedHead
    This is using Virgin Mobile's a640 by the way. So getting the photos is awesome, but there needs to be a better solution for making mp3 ringtones :-/
    Is there a way to transfer over the unconverted mp3 file instead? Because I think the phone might already be able to recognize it in that format.
    There is! To bypass the Convert Audio File (Execute pvconv in Qualcomm folder To get it back) you only need to hold down Shift on your Keyboard and click on the ADD Icon (Blue MusicNote with a Green Plus) in the upper icon menu of BitPim then select the tone you want. The problem is I cant get it in my phone (I normaly can with the convert option). I used the settings for MP3 or WAV transfer (setting A620 as phone type) but it doesnt seem to work. Maybe if an other phone type is selected it would work. If anyone finds out a way or can upload please reply to this post.
    Last edited by VMobileA640; 01-05-2007 at 05:41 PM.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 16GB White
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VMobileA640
    There is! To bypass the Convert Audio File (Execute pvconv in Qualcomm folder To get it back) you only need to hold down Shift on your Keyboard and click on the ADD Icon (Blue MusicNote with a Green Plus) in the upper icon menu of BitPim then select the tone you want. The problem is I cant get it in my phone (I normaly can with the convert option). I used the settings for MP3 or WAV transfer (setting A620 as phone type) but it doesnt seem to work. Maybe if an other phone type is selected it would work. If anyone finds out a way or can upload please reply to this post.
    I followed your method, it worked and I successfully uploaded the mp3 to my phone. I set it to a620, but I had to make sure the phone was off first.

So it transfered, but it's not showing up in my ringers folder. Perhaps it does need to be a certain file format after all.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 16GB White
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Here are some more of my findings and theories.

First of all, use the Filesystem button on the left hand side.
    Go into the ams\Ringers folder. Each ringtone has a .gcd file and an extensionless file. You can look at any gcd file in notepad if you want, and you will just see some descriptive text for the ringer. Each ringer is named in order, like cnts1, cnts2, etc.

Code:
    Content-Type: audio/midi
    Content-Name: smbdeath
    Content-Version: 1.0
    Content-Vendor: BitPim
    Content-URL: file:smbdeath.mid
    Content-Size: 1734
    I uploaded this one myself. The corresponding extensionless file is the actual audio file. I tried saving the extensionless file to my computer and adding the .mid extension to it, and low and behold, it played nicely in my media player like a normal midi file. However, when I tried doing the same with a ringtone I downloaded through VXL, only renaming to .mp3, I had no such luck. They use a different file format that makes the phone recognize it as an application or something.

But my theory is that we can take an mp3 file, make a cnts3 or whatever .gcd file for it in the above format only changing the filename and content-size, etc. Then just take a raw mp3 file, take off the mp3 extension, rename it to cnts3, and manually add both the files to the phone in that folder. I'm too chicken to try it out though, afraid of screwing stuff up, so if you guys wanna try, be my guest! Here is a link with more gcd information.

Next thing, I don't know of a whole ton of cell phone apps, but looking at the files and the filesizes and stuff, it looks like there are two main files that are for actual application content. The _jar and _jad. These are the only two files you get when you go to try and download Opera Mini for mobile phones. I would make a new cnts2 subfolder (right click on the parent folder on the left hand side with the directory tree), take the downloaded jar and jad file, and rename them to _jar and _jad. Once again, I'm too chicken to try this out and screw something up.

In theory, you could probably work around the mini-browser being locked out to only account balance and stuff, but that sounds somewhat illegal to me, so I'm not gonna try :P

EDIT: The official ringtones are in PMD format, a format which usually has both animation and sound. [reference ]. If there is other software for PMD or QCP file conversion, the problem with crappy low quality ringers would be eliminated and you could probably still transfer the files with the originally posted method.
    Last edited by TedHead; 01-05-2007 at 06:47 PM.

Phone
    Nokia e71
    Carrier
    Petro Canada
    Feedback Score
    Update
    Found some games to try and load from here Mobile Rated

I got a couple to show up on my phone and they get to the java loading screen and then shut down.

Could be 2 things I think
    1. Incompatible game for the a640
    2. The MIDlet-Install-Notify url in the jad files is wrong

Heres a sample of one of the jad files downloaded from this site:
    MIDlet-1: AsteroidZone, icons/App.png, asteroids.Game
    MIDlet-Name: Asteroids
    MIDlet-Vendor: Jean-Francois Doue
    MIDlet-Version: 1.4
    MIDlet-Jar-URL: http://www.mobilerated.com/consumer/.../asteroids.jar
    MIDlet-Info-URL: http://www.mobilerated.com/wapdir/Application/1235/
    MIDlet-Install-Notify: http://www.mobilerated.com/notif/inst/2146
    MIDlet-Delete-Notify: http://www.mobilerated.com/notif/del/2146
    Content-Folder: Games
    MIDlet-Jar-Size: 16048

Basically to get them to show on the phone you create a cnts# directory in your games folder and then rename the jad and jar files to _jad and _jar

The delete your amsregistry file and do a right mouse click on the directory tree and do a refresh file system

Close BitPim and then unplug your phone. Do a phone reboot and teh game should now be there.

I think were getting close. Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by *Centurion; 01-05-2007 at 10:07 PM.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 16GB White
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Regarding what is supported as far as Java goes on this phone, a site I saw says it only supports MIDP 1, if that means anything to you, I have no clue! Apparently it is older though and slower.

Here is an example jad file from a game I downloaded on VXL.
    Code:
    MIDlet-1: BubbleGun, /icons/icon.png, Bubble.MainPRG
    MIDlet-Info-URL: www.microforum.com
    MIDlet-Icon: /icons/icon.png
    MIDlet-Data-Size: 2045
    MIDlet-Jar-Size: 64276
    MIDlet-Name: BubbleGun
    MIDlet-Vendor: Microforum
    MIDlet-Version: 1.0.1
    MIDlet-Jar-URL: http://www.wam0.com/wapframework4//C_16018701/(wfcvqjyife1pi5jkl35wf4zj)/16018701.jar
    MIDlet-Install-Notify: http://www.wam0.com/wapframework4//Notify/(wfcvqjyife1pi5jkl35wf4zj)/MIDPNotify.aspx?D=16018701
    Notice that my legit game mentions specifics on the Data Size and Jar Size, unlike the one you downloaded. It had these details in the files for the ringtones as well, both downloaded from VXL and generated by Bitpim, so maybe it is important. I would put those two file size lines in the file somewhere, try to match up your file's format with the one above.

Also, I'm not sure how important the Jar-URL, Install-Notify, and everything else is, but they are all making reference to their site. The web browser has everything locked out that isn't approved by vmobile, so perhaps it is having problems initializing because it can't contact that website. Just a theory, I'm not sure how you would resolve it, and I don't know what Jar-URL would do anyway considering the jar file should already be on the phone anyway.

EDIT: I think I saw sites mentioning the midlet would actually have to be installed too, I don't know how you would get it to do that. When I look at my downloaded game, there are more files than just those two, there are .db files where it stores information and stuff. Maybe there is an installation process where that has to be configured.
    Last edited by TedHead; 01-05-2007 at 10:34 PM.

Phone
    Nokia e71
    Carrier
    Petro Canada
    Feedback Score
    YAHOO

Did it
    I went here and got the game from the developer

Heres what his jad file looks like:
    MIDlet-1: Galactic Attack,/res/icon.png,com.dbarnes.raid.GameMIDlet
    MIDlet-Jar-Size: 25024
    MIDlet-Jar-URL: http://www.dbarnes.com/wap/gattack.jar
    MIDlet-Name: Galactic Attack
    MIDlet-Vendor: dbarnes.com
    MIDlet-Version: 0.0.41
    MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.0
    MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-1.0

Notice the difference from the previous post? No notify url

Game plays great to
    Last edited by *Centurion; 01-05-2007 at 10:42 PM.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 16GB White
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by *Centurion
    YAHOO

Did it
    I went here and got the game from the developer

Heres what his jad file looks like:
    MIDlet-1: Galactic Attack,/res/icon.png,com.dbarnes.raid.GameMIDlet
    MIDlet-Jar-Size: 25024
    MIDlet-Jar-URL: http://www.dbarnes.com/wap/gattack.jar
    MIDlet-Name: Galactic Attack
    MIDlet-Vendor: dbarnes.com
    MIDlet-Version: 0.0.41
    MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.0
    MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-1.0

Notice the difference from the previous post?
    Awesome, nice job, gonna try it now
    I see a few differences... which is the one that made it work? I'm thinking because the MIDlet-Version is less than 1, the site I went to said only 1.0 was supported.

So the file I delete is the AmsRegistry file within the first ams folder?

Phone
    Nokia e71
    Carrier
    Petro Canada
    Feedback Score
    yes

If you need help let me know and perhaps we can get you going on MSN or AIM

Make sure you do a backup entire tree first

Phone
    Apple iPhone 16GB White
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Well, I got that game working, but other applications that supposedly only use MIDP 1 are getting to the loading thing and immediately closing, so I dunno :-/

Lemme know if you find anything else that works, thanks a lot

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast