Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The official CHOCOLATE OWNER thread – tips and discussions

Device(s)
    LG VX7100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

The official CHOCOLATE OWNER thread – tips and discussions

Since the original “Official Chocolate Thread” was started before the phone was released (now 67 pages long), and is full of question like “does 8500 have a speakerphone” or “I heard there’s no microsd slot...true or not”, I think it’s necessary to start a new thread for chocolate owners to share their experience/tips using the chocolate while learn from others. Any useful tips not listed on the manual are welcome. Later on moderator may be able to save some valuable info as The Chocolate FAQ.

I will start with a few tips:

How to get better battery life?

1.Turn off EV-DO by enter MENU -> 0 -> enter code “000000” -> 3 Network Select -> 1 Mode Preference -> choose “1X Only”. Unless you need Vcast video/music/games, EV-DO is useless to you.
    2. If you are using a pix stored in microSD card as your wallpaper, move it to phone memory so the chocolate will not constantly reading the card, which drains the battery.

I want to use the chocolate’s alarm but my drunken friend might call me at 3am, what shuold I do?

1. If you want to use one of the three normal alarms, simply slide open the chocolate, and press the “Down” side button to turn down the master volume to “alarm only” before go to bed. Even if some one called the phone will not ring (remember to turn it back to normal when you get up).
    2. If you want to use music alarm, the method above will automatically mute the music player. So you need another way. Don’t change the master volume, instead open music player by playing a song, and tap the right soft key for “Options”, choose “Music Only” and turn it on. While the song is playing, make sure the volume is as desired. Now your phone is in music only mode, and you can set the music alarm and awake with your favorite rhythms (Note: The manual said the alarm will not work in Music Only or Standalone Mode, which is not true for music alarm).

How to get free WAP on chocolate
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=972630

How to add wallpaper and ringtones using BitPim
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=980606

What’s the correct resolution for wallpaper?
    240X320
    See “official chocolate wallpaper thread” fro detail
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=970627
    Last edited by GTIMKV; 08-22-2006 at 09:30 PM.

Device(s)
    LG VX7100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The right bluetooth headset (for calls):
    Plantronic Voyager 510 with WindSmart

Available thru BUY.COM
    http://www.buy.com/prod/Plantronics_...202695216.html

Device(s)
    LG VX7100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Bug when using AVR (advance voice recognition)

When using headset to place a call, you can long press the call/end button to enter AVR menu, where you can speak out numbers or names on the contact to make a call (say "John mobile" or "call XXX-XXX-XXXX"). However, after you are done, the phone will not return to standby. Instead, it returns to voice dialing menu, expecting the next command and keep asking "please say a command". I believe it's an anoying software bug, and by simply long press the call/end button the phone will return to standby.

Feedback Score
    whats wap. please help me out

Device(s)
    Samsung SCH-A990 2 weeks
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    wireless access point
    thx

Device(s)
    Samsung S4 android ATT Mobley,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon wireless and AT&T
    Feedback Score
    using 'SUPER' to convert your videos, the best settings ( on my phone ) are

3g2, 240*192, 15 fps, bit rate 192-288 ( depends on the quality of the file being converted )

this will display full screen in the expanded mode

super is free

http://www.erightsoft.com/S5E01.html

other programs may use other settings
    TheMopedwhiz aka TheeWizard,

Device(s)
    LG VX7100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky3
    whats wap. please help me out
    Wireless Application Protocol or WAP is an open international standard for applications that use wireless communication. Its principal application is to enable access to the internet from a mobile phone or PDA.

Free WAP means free Mobile Web 2.0, with less accessable site though.

Device(s)
    Samsung SCH-A990 2 weeks
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    I was told by the verizon tech that the chocolate had a speaker phone. I can't seem to figure it out. Was he refering to the music speaker? Can I use it for calling? I have version 3

Device(s)
    TBolt, DroidX, Incredible, Droid1, Omnia II, HTC Imagio, BB Tour, BB Storm,Touch,Dare,Voyager
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jonchos
    I was told by the verizon tech that the chocolate had a speaker phone. I can't seem to figure it out. Was he refering to the music speaker? Can I use it for calling? I have version 3
    There is no speakerphone function on the 8500. There are many threads on it though. People think Verizon will release a firmware upgrade to add in that ability, but if you're familar with Verizon, you'll realize that isn't going to happen.

Device(s)
    LG VX7100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTIMKV
    2. If you want to use music alarm, the method above will automatically mute the music player. So you need another way. Don’t change the master volume, instead open music player by playing a song, and tap the right soft key for “Options”, choose “Music Only” and turn it on. While the song is playing, make sure the volume is as desired. Now your phone is in music only mode, and you can set the music alarm and awake with your favorite rhythms (Note: The manual said the alarm will not work in Music Only or Standalone Mode, which is not true for music alarm).
    Corrections:

Actually the music alarm will not work in MUSIC ONLY mode. Only when your phone is active (screen is lit) will the alarm work. When I try it I set the alarm to 1 min later and when I went back to desktop, the alarm sounds, which makes me think it will work. Later when I try again, the phone had enough time to went to standby, and the alarm never sounds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpa
    There is no speakerphone function on the 8500. There are many threads on it though. People think Verizon will release a firmware upgrade to add in that ability, but if you're familar with Verizon, you'll realize that isn't going to happen.
    talked with our LG rep on monday, he told me they are DEF. going to work that speakerphone issue out.

Device(s)
    LG Chocolate
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTIMKV
    How to get better battery life?

1.Turn off EV-DO by enter MENU -> 0 -> enter code “000000” -> 3 Network Select -> 1 Mode Preference -> choose “1X Only”. Unless you need Vcast video/music/games, EV-DO is useless to you.
    This statement is not entirely true. I agree that it saves you a lot of battery and i was able to go without charging my phone for like 3-4 days, but there are areas (atleast for me) where i do not have 1x access but do have EVDO access, but i was unable to use the phone in such places. For example, in my grocery store, i dont have 1x access, but have evdo access, and i do not get any reception if i change it to 1x only....

so please keep this in mind while choosing to do this...for me battery life is important, but coverage is much more important! otherwise i might as well have gone with cingular or t-mobile!

thanks

Device(s)
    LG G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Anyone else getting tired of all of "Official" thread?
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Device(s)
    Samsung S4 android ATT Mobley,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon wireless and AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10dulkar
    This statement is not entirely true. I agree that it saves you a lot of battery and i was able to go without charging my phone for like 3-4 days, but there are areas (atleast for me) where i do not have 1x access but do have EVDO access, but i was unable to use the phone in such places. For example, in my grocery store, i dont have 1x access, but have evdo access, and i do not get any reception if i change it to 1x only....

so please keep this in mind while choosing to do this...for me battery life is important, but coverage is much more important! otherwise i might as well have gone with cingular or t-mobile!

thanks
    having EVDO reception , won't let you make a phone call, EV-DO

evolution data ONLY, Vcast videos and services that require large bandwidth

Verizon EV-DO does not transmit voice , VZW uses evdo only for high bandwidth data

go back to grocery store nad try to make a phone call with NO 1x bars

or make one right now and watch the ev signal indicator disappear from your screen, voice only uses the 1x mode

Device(s)
    LG Chocolate
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themopedwhiz
    having EVDO reception , won't let you make a phone call, EV-DO

evolution data ONLY, Vcast videos and services that require large bandwidth

Verizon EV-DO does not transmit voice , VZW uses evdo only for high bandwidth data

go back to grocery store nad try to make a phone call with NO 1x bars

or make one right now and watch the ev signal indicator disappear from your screen, voice only uses the 1x mode
    hmm - interesting!

however, i have tried exactly what you said already...when i was in the grocery store, i was in the middle of a conversation (and not walking around) and the connection was really bad...and the call got dropped about 2-3 times.

i immediately went into the service menu, and changed it from 1x only to digital, or whatever its called...

...absolutely clear after that...

so i am not sure - what you are saying might be true, but my experience was contrary to that...

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast