Thread: How much are phones really worth?

Phones
    Blackberry Curve
    Nokia 6300
    Carrier
    Rogers AT&T
    Feedback Score

How much are phones really worth?

What up people, my first post!

Always wondered this, what is the actual worth of a mobile phone considering how much technology is in it? If a fairly decent home portable phone can cost over $200 and it doesn't have half the features of even a basic mobile, how much would mobile's cost if providers didn't subsidize part of the real cost of the phone? Curious.

Phones
    iPhone IIIgs
    Symbian User, I want to try android
    Nokia N800
    Carriers
    Main: Cingular(US)
    Feedback Score
    well phones cost a lot for many reasons, parts and labor are one of the factors, but then you also must pay back the R&D costs that were put into the phone and the marketing campaign, and of course you ought to make a small profit out of the whole deal
    Club-Admiralty - my site

Phone History: Maxon MX-3204; Nokia 7110; Nokia 8290; Ericsson T28w; Nokia 8890; Ericsson T68; SE P800; Nokia 7190; HTC Blue Angel; LG L1400; Nokia 1100; Blackberry 8703; Nokia N80; Nokia 6126; Motorola V3xx, iPhone IIIgs

I Lurk, therefore I am

Phones
    Sanyo 8100
    Sanyo 4900 (retired)
    Samsung A400 & 8500 (Retired)
    Carrier
    Sprint PCS Vision
    Feedback Score
    I don't think that the cell phone manufacturers lose that much on the pure purchase of phones. Now, they will when the phone is selling for free, but when its normal price they shouldn't. The reason I say this is that most cell phones carry about a 20-30% margin, meaning that is the amount of profit cell phone retailers make when they sell them. On other low margin things (xbox's, ps2's, etc) the stores will sell them for the price they pay for them in hopes that you buy along with the low margin item the high margin pieces such as controllers, mem cards, etc.

If any of you have ever checked out the fcc's webpage and look at the innards of your phone you can see that it is relatively simple. Up until now I believe that nokia and texas instruments made the majority of the chips for cell phones. Recently Intel announced they were going into the industry also. Well, Intel is huge so they should be able to produce better, more, and cheaper so we should see the trend of cheaper phones six months to a year from now.