Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Forced to change my rate plan due to "abnormal call volumes" WTF?

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Forced to change my rate plan due to "abnormal call volumes" WTF?

Here's the letter I received today:

"Dear Luis xxxxx:

In an ongoing effort to provide an optimal service experience to all of our customers, T-Mobile periodically reviews customer accounts. After reviewing your account, we have discovered abnormal call volumes and/or usage patterns that are inconsistent with the service guildlines set forth in T-Mobiles Terms and Conditions and/or in our rate plan marketing materials, and which could interfere with the peak functioning of our network. In addition, and as you are aware your term contract with T-Mobile has expired, and both you and T-Mobile have the right to discontinue your T-Mobile wireless service at any time.

At this time, to continue your T-Mobile wireless service, you must contact T-Mobile and select one of four T-Mobile rate plans that are available to you. Your current rate plan is no longer available to you. Please call T-Mobile Customer Care at 877-837-9948 for information about available rate plans and to select a new plan. A customer service representative will explain to you the service features and other information about the rate plan. If you do not call T-Mobile Customer Care within 35 days after the date of this letter then service on all lines of your account will be terminated after the 35 day period.

Should you fail to contact us during this period to change your rate plan and your T-Mobile service is discontinued, or if you elect to terminate your service, you will not be required to pay an early termination fee since you no longer are under a term contract with T-Mobile. However, you will be obligated to pay any outstanding charges on your account.

Should you choose to sign up for wireless service with another wireless service provider, you may be able to transfer your mobile phone number to that provider and/or use your T-Mobile handset with that provider's service. Please ask your new provider for details concerning this process.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

T-Mobile USA, Inc."

WTF is this about? Free nights and weekends are limited usage? It may be true that I use at least 8K off peak minutes on the both lines I have (in total) but I never knew I should be cautious how much I use my phone when I'm paying excess of $120 a month and they advertise free nights and weekends.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, because I believe they may try to stick me with a $149.99 plan (not including my data packages) so I don't know if I should just port over to a new provider, or try to slither out of this one. And to tell you the truth, I was just saying to myself how T-Mobile really suits my needs.

****ing bastards.

Advice appreciated.

Phones
    iPhone
    other phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've heard of this happening before, and I must agree, it's completely ridiculous... but as far as I know, there's no way to get out of it. Since you're out of contract, T-Mobile can cancel your service whenever they want. So you're basically forced to get a new rate plan and extend your contract or switch carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamweaver2k2
    This is ridicules. Truly rediclues!

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrocks
    I've heard of this happening before, and I must agree, it's completely ridiculous... but as far as I know, there's no way to get out of it. Since you're out of contract, T-Mobile can cancel your service whenever they want. So you're basically forced to get a new rate plan and extend your contract or switch carriers.
    Thank you for that bit of advice, I will consider using the $99 familyshare plan.

But they said I only have a choice of 4 plans, I don't know what that is all about.

I guess I should've done something to extend my contract somehow. Damn.
    Last edited by br0nx finest; 08-29-2006 at 11:26 PM.

Feedback Score
    It's not ridiculous.

I assume the guy is out of contract at this point. So, he is free to leave TMO without penalty (and even keep his same phone number) and on the other end of that coin... TMO is free to discontinue its service with the guy if it wishes. Neither one of them is under any contractual obligation to continue the service.

Phone
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carriers
    Verizon, Sprint
    PagePlus, Tracfone, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    8000 off peak minutes is 133 hours, or the equivelent of being on the phone 5.5 days continuously. That really is a lot of minutes.

I consider myself to be an avid cell phone enthusiast, but my average usage is 233 minutes per month, which I consider to be a lot of time on the phone

I have a land-line phone both at home and at work, so I tend to use that when I can, and I tend to use my cell for brief messages.

Anyway, interesting to see the spectrum of use, and to know folks use cellular in very different ways...
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by heybabyheybaby
    It's not ridiculous.

I assume the guy is out of contract at this point. So, he is free to leave TMO without penalty (and even keep his same phone number) and on the other end of that coin... TMO is free to discontinue its service with the guy if it wishes. Neither one of them is under any contractual obligation to continue the service.
    Is it possible that I may switch to a higher familyshare plan, and then swap back in a month or two?

That would definitely rock my world.
    Last edited by br0nx finest; 08-29-2006 at 11:25 PM.

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich
    8000 off peak minutes is 133 hours, or the equivelent of being on the phone 5.5 days continuously. That really is a lot of minutes.

I consider myself to be an avid cell phone enthusiast, but my average usage is 233 minutes per month, which I consider to be a lot of time on the phone

I have a land-line phone both at home and at work, so I tend to use that when I can, and I tend to use my cell for brief messages.

Anyway, interesting to see the spectrum of use, and to know folks use cellular in very different ways...
    Well I do have 2 phones, and its often that I'm on the run at night...and I'd stay on the phone w/my gf for at least an hour.

Random calls...sometimes three-way to round up the crew...I don't stay on it during the day normal usage really, in the night I use it as a landline.

Feedback Score
    thats why I make sure I'm always under 1 yr contract...with a good phone upgrade deal

I'd think you'll be fine with going with one of their plans and then downgrading.

Do you guys think that If I'll start creating lots of traffic on my $4.99 T-Zones plan I'll get a similar letter?

Phones
    K750i - RAZR - Nokia 7610
    Motorola E398 - Nokia 6600
    Nokia 3595 - Nokia 3390 - Samsung E315
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Try calling Retentions, hopefully that department actually tries to do its job. This is a real extreme situation and a real good purpose to leave the company.

I like T-Mobile's plans, but this kind of treatment is not right.

I think you really should notify the BBB. "Unlimited Nights and Weekends" is a feature that should be supported. That is or was their selling point. Yeah the guy is out of contract, but what'll stop T-Mobile from doing this in the future to anybody, even if they don't use a lot of minutes.
    Last edited by tetronic; 08-30-2006 at 12:16 AM.

Phones
    LG VX8300(1GB-SD)
    Moto V3m
    Jabra BT150
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Cingular(closed)
    Feedback Score
    Just port to someone else. This shows a true lack of care for their customers. I'd consider it a slap in the face since you've obviously been a customer for at least a year. What a crock. Unlimited is unlimited.

Phones
    SE W810i, nokia 6680, BB 8700G
    nokia 9500 Communicator
    Motorola RAZR BLK
    Carrier
    T-MOBILE
    Feedback Score
    Well you got ot see it this way, Tmobile is probably losing money on this particular client because of the excessive usuage, also the excessive usuage could put strain network/tower making it unable for other users in the area to make calls. The TOC clearly state that if Tmobile finds that you are a burden to the network, ie excessive usage, then they are more than welcome to drop you. 8000 minutes for nights and weekends is alot of usuage during that time, and I'm willing to bet you have a low end rate plan. They would have not dropped you if you were considered a platnium customer meaning 99.99 dollar rate plan or above. The point is, if you're going bare minimum and using up the lots of "free" minutes, you're not making them a profit and so they'd rather you leave rather than keeping taking a hit. Just to let you know too, Sprint, Verizon, and Cingular all the have the same policies, so if I were you, I'd tone down the usage if you change carriers.
    Also on a side note, I've heard of people who talk continously from 9pm to 7am daily and rack up 10 hours of talk time a day, thats nearly 18,000 minutes a month. THe problem with that, is that most people who use there phone excessively during those times end up going with the lowest rate plan, like the old 400 minute family plan that was 49.99. No matter how you see it, the company is losing money.

Phones
    Verizon iPhone
    Samsung DROID Charge
    Motorola Droid X
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Then they shouldn't offer it on lower rate plans.

Network utilization is pretty low off-peak, and that's why they offer those perks.
    -Sterling

Phones
    BB Bold 9780
    BB Bold 9700
    BB Curve 8900
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US - myFaves
    Feedback Score
    OP, review this thread for details about your letter http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=991031

Basically if you use at least 10K unlimited minutes per month, contract-free, less then three lines and are not consider Platinum, High-Value; you will be terminated as a MOU customer. Unfortunately there is little you can do, AFAIK. And they want you to cancel, save won't be able to save you however you can try them. I wonder if you did an online handset upgrade or a rate plan change, would that automatically lock you up into a new agreement and void that letter.

Quote Originally Posted by mesallem
    They would have not dropped you if you were considered a platnium customer meaning 99.99 dollar rate plan or above. The point is, if you're going bare minimum and using up the lots of "free" minutes.
    As a Platinum customer myself, I wanted to point out that the criteria is more complicated then a simple rate plan of $99.99 or higher. Otherwise more than 50,000 customers would be Platinum/High-Value. The criteria is more extensive.

Phones
    SE W810i, nokia 6680, BB 8700G
    nokia 9500 Communicator
    Motorola RAZR BLK
    Carrier
    T-MOBILE
    Feedback Score
    I've heard that if you do do an upgrade, you might get around it but, but its a big if. If you are in contract, they won't force you off. But since new system upgrades have gone into effect, I think that you can't do it anymore.

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    At this point I have the 69.99$ rate plan (FamilyTalk 1000 w/n&w) I wouldn't have a problem going w/the FamilyTalk 2000 for 99.99$ but I'm not willing to go any higher than that.

I really don't see how 1 phone's usage could put a strain on the network towers, especially when some people out here in NY run a whole whore house off of one cell phone.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast