PDA

View Full Version : Motorola World Phone for Verizon

Saul Silverman
04-28-2009, 01:21 PM
FCC Outs Motorola World Phone for Verizon
Today, 10:32 AM by Rich Brome

The Motorola A4500 for Verizon has been revealed in documents on the FCC web site. This slab-style smartphone is similar to the Q9m/Q9c, but with numerous upgrades, including quad-band GSM world roaming, Wi-Fi, fingerprint scanner, and a 2-megapixel camera. Features in common with the Q9m/Q9c include EVDO data, stereo Bluetooth, memory card slot, voice command, and a QWERTY keyboard. The A4500 appears to run Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard. The A4500 has yet to be announced by Verizon or Motorola.

Motorola A4500 (http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=4288)

mbpyro
04-28-2009, 01:35 PM
If i'm not mistaken, wasnt this the Napolean, that was said to be scrapped?

wnrussell
04-28-2009, 01:38 PM
The FCC approval ID for that phone has been out for a long time. Check the Activating on Verizon thread at EverythingQ.com for the phone which was affectionately named the Q9n over there.

Aixelsyd
04-28-2009, 01:55 PM
If i'm not mistaken, wasnt this the Napolean, that was said to be scrapped?

Exactly correct as the project was canned, however there are some on the float and speaking from experience it's a great device. Total stupid plan on VZW's & Motos part of dropping it before release. IMO they would have sold a boat load of these things if it was released with the features the test models have.

Saul Silverman
04-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Exactly correct as the project was canned, however there are some on the float and speaking from experience it's a great device. Total stupid plan on VZW's & Motos part of dropping it before release. IMO they would have sold a boat load of these things if it was released with the features the test models have.

Will it have WiFi or will it be Crippled?

wnrussell
04-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Rich Brome had this to say to me today, when I asked him about the timeliness of the "news".

Like most FCC approvals these days, it is approved on one date, but certain key documents (photos, user manual, etc.) are kept confidential until a later date, which the manufacturer specifies. This is supposed to let companies keep phones secret until they are ready to announce them.

Companies often need to extend that confidentiality period as launch dates shift. Sometimes companies forget to tell the FCC to change that date, and the documents become public anyway. That's probably what happened here.

Regardless, the documents only became public today. http://www.phonescoop.com/news/discuss.php?fm=m&ff=4288&fi=2051528

wnrussell
04-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Will it have WiFi or will it be Crippled?
Read all about it. Your buddies at BGR say it is 'seemingly' being released by Verizon now: http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/04/28/motorola-a4500-approved-by-fcc-new-qwerty-world-phone-for-verizon/

Aixelsyd
04-28-2009, 08:02 PM
^^^^I highly doubt that as we all know it was canned and not getting released to the public. Unless VZW & Moto have some secret they have been able to hid this long it won't be released.

As for Wifi can't say for a device that is not being released supposedly. However the ones on the float are not crippled on the Wifi front that I can say for sure as I have one and it works just great.

Saul Silverman
04-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Read all about it. Your buddies at BGR say it is 'seemingly' being released by Verizon now: http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/04/28/motorola-a4500-approved-by-fcc-new-qwerty-world-phone-for-verizon/

It should of been released then not now.

kbman
04-28-2009, 11:31 PM
It's a very nice device...that will never be released...unless everything that we already know about it and it's limited, leaked availability have been a charade for the most ambitious guerrilla marketing campaign ever by Moto! :D

It's a shame because it a very powerful phone with an amazing feature set but it's not touchscreen so it's not an iPhone killer and was a victim of very bad timing I think. Things looked considerably bleaker back in October when the decision to close the project was made by Moto.

GoldMembr
04-29-2009, 12:03 AM
Finally a Q9n User Manual Get it While it's Hot

http://rapidshare.com/files/226982730/Q9n_UserGuide.rar.html

Aixelsyd
04-29-2009, 07:05 AM
It's a very nice device...that will never be released...unless everything that we already know about it and it's limited, leaked availability have been a charade for the most ambitious guerrilla marketing campaign ever by Moto! :D

It's a shame because it a very powerful phone with an amazing feature set but it's not touchscreen so it's not an iPhone killer and was a victim of very bad timing I think. Things looked considerably bleaker back in October when the decision to close the project was made by Moto.

My thoughts exactly and I couldn't agree more as they really should not have canned this project.

Saul Silverman
04-29-2009, 07:54 AM

The Buddy no longer writes for Boy Genius.

xbernaut
04-29-2009, 10:27 AM
lol, this is too funny.

Saul Silverman
04-29-2009, 11:25 AM
lol, this is too funny.

I think it's kinda funny too, after all this time on the shelves now they are releasing it. Makes you wonder if they'll now release the successor to the V710, if there ever was one. I didn't want that phone then, and I sure as hell don't want it now.

Aixelsyd
04-29-2009, 11:49 AM
One problem tho, they ARE NOT releasing it ( A4500 ie q9n or Napoleon). This is just more garbage info being posted all over the place. My guess for it is just because someone tracked down the FCC approval stuff so they assume it is, but it does not mean a device will get released tho.

wimaxwax
04-29-2009, 12:07 PM
A higher-up has promised the release of this phone to me...they said it would be business channel only for a while, though.

Aixelsyd
04-29-2009, 01:08 PM
A higher-up has promised the release of this phone to me...they said it would be business channel only for a while, though.

Lol...I believe that when I see it seeing as there is no Win Mobile group at Moto anymore.

Saul Silverman
04-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Motorola IRONMAN (http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/04/29/motorolas-ironman-android-handset-says-hello/)

Please someone tell me this is coming to Verizon? If Verizon got this it would be stamped with the Top Notch most requested App "Get It Now" who needs that old outdated Java since if Verzion had this phone it would be removed then we would have widgets removed because who needs customization anyway! I like my Cell Phone OS basic, just give it a dial pad and that's it.

Aixelsyd
04-29-2009, 02:04 PM
looks to me like a copy off the Moto Alexandra and if that is the case it is not CDMA seeing as Alexandra is GSM. Only time will tell tho I guess. IMO to much BS going around on what will be coming from Moto this year. And with all the layoffs it's anyone guess as to what will be released and what OS it will run.

Saul Silverman
04-29-2009, 02:11 PM
looks to me like a copy off the Moto Alexandra and if that is the case it is not CDMA seeing as Alexandra is GSM. Only time will tell tho I guess. IMO to much BS going around on what will be coming from Moto this year. And with all the layoffs it's anyone guess as to what will be released and what OS it will run.

I think your right. I think Motorola is throwing this stuff out to determine the reaction it get's. Now that you brought up Alexandra I couldn't of agreed with you more. The Calgary also I doubt will be released.

Aixelsyd
04-29-2009, 03:28 PM
The Calgary is still moving forward with Android. However that still does not mean it will be released but it is being worked on the last I was told.

Personally tho I think things have been moved back do to Moto dropping Win Mobile all together and deciding Anroid is there smartphone OS so it is like they are starting from scratch. And lord only know what will come on any new dumbphones as the OS.

Saul Silverman
04-29-2009, 04:01 PM
The Calgary is still moving forward with Android. However that still does not mean it will be released but it is being worked on the last I was told.

Personally tho I think things have been moved back do to Moto dropping Win Mobile all together and deciding Anroid is there smartphone OS so it is like they are starting from scratch. And lord only know what will come on any new dumbphones as the OS.

I have a friend over at Cnet and he tells me Calgary if it does get released will be untill late next yea! Claims about 10 android phones will be released end of next year none he mentioned for Verizon thou!

xbernaut
04-29-2009, 04:04 PM

you couldve just asked me if you wanted one now?

itll never be released, especially with things like iron man coming in the android form. winmo is dead. bye bye.

firefly4423
04-29-2009, 04:16 PM
thats one ugly looking phone too.

Saul Silverman
04-29-2009, 04:18 PM
thats one ugly looking phone too.

I think it's better looking than most the stuff coming from Moto so far!

Aixelsyd
04-29-2009, 04:22 PM
I have a friend over at Cnet and he tells me Calgary if it does get released will be untill late next yea! Claims about 10 android phones will be released end of next year none he mentioned for Verizon thou!

Wouldn't surprise me at all to be honest. Whja tis frustrating in my point of view is all this talk about all these new phones bieng out this year and still nothing has been released really. Typical tho I guess seeing as the Rush2 was suppose to be out first QTR and you don't even hear anything on it now either.

To be honest I have no clue as to what is going on with VZW atm. Heck I just saw an article toady that Microsoft & VZW are in takes to release a touchscreen by years end to compete with the iPhone. Supposedly will be running Win Mobile 6.5 or if it gets pushed back Win Mob 7. And yet just the other day you hear VZW is in talked with Apple to get a 4g iPhone.

Saul Silverman
04-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Heck I just saw an article toady that Microsoft & VZW are in takes to release a touchscreen by years end to compete with the iPhone. Supposedly will be running Win Mobile 6.5 or if it gets pushed back Win Mob 7. And yet just the other day you hear VZW is in talked with Apple to get a 4g iPhone.

There was a follow up article to that saying Microsoft is not going into the phone biz but was said to be tweaking its OS with a multimedia focus, assisting with the design and that a third party would be building the handset.

Saul Silverman
04-29-2009, 04:50 PM
VZW is in talked with Apple to get a 4g iPhone.

Over at Cnet I've been told that there will be a apple touch phone but not an iphone Verizon will get a totally new apple phone just for Verizon's LTE.

Aixelsyd
04-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Over at Cnet I've been told that there will be a apple touch phone but not an iphone Verizon will get a totally new apple phone just for Verizon's LTE.

Yea I heard about that also I just forget what the name of it was. It supposedly is thinner then the iPhone and has a few other features from what I had read. I'll see if I can find that article again.

There was a follow up article to that saying Microsoft is not going into the phone biz but was said to be tweaking its OS with a multimedia focus, assisting with the design and that a third party would be building the handset.

Yea I saw that one also while eating lunch today. It just goes to show how much garbage floats around the web and so fast even at that....lol.

Saul Silverman
04-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Yea I heard about that also I just forget what the name of it was. It supposedly is thinner then the iPhone and has a few other features from what I had read. I'll see if I can find that article again.

I think they called it the Apple lite if i'm not mistaken. I know there were rumors of a iNano phone for Verizon. That would be cool if you could find the article i would love to read it.

Yea I saw that one also while eating lunch today. It just goes to show how much garbage floats around the web and so fast even at that....lol.

There was an article just today I read that said Calgary was going to be Moto's first android phone then some where else I read that Motorola's IRONMAN was going to be Moto's first Android phone.

wnrussell
04-29-2009, 11:54 PM
I think your right. I think Motorola is throwing this stuff out to determine the reaction it get's.
Saul, their first quarter results are due in a few days. That's why there are so many fricking leaks right now.

teddyearp
10-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Nothing like necromancing a four year old thread.

How many of y'all still have the Nappy?

And I'm gonna ask that this thread, for what it's worth, be moved from feature phones, lol.

wnrussell
08-24-2014, 04:32 PM
I have two Napoleon A4500 devices. Batteries dead and won't charge. Maybe I am using the wrong charger.

via the HoFo App

teddyearp
08-25-2014, 07:48 AM
I have two Napoleon A4500 devices. Batteries dead and won't charge. Maybe I am using the wrong charger.

via the HoFo App

Possibly, but maybe your batteries are kaput. I read this and powered mine on just fine, but I do so every now and then and try not to let the batteries die all the way. I also fashioned a battery only charger from a V9m charger. It doesn't sit down in it, you have to lean the battery into the contacts just so, but it works.

I'll see if I have the spare I tried to sell on ebay a while back . . . .

wnrussell
11-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Ted, never thought I would see ordering a phone like the Nexus 6 without specifying a carrier.

teddyearp
11-28-2014, 07:39 AM
Pretty awesome. It looks like the N6 has only US and Int'l versions.