PDA

View Full Version : Dropping your landline

Lenagainster
05-31-2009, 08:49 PM
(without mentioning any specific carrier, to keep the topic general enough for the lounge)

have you tried dropping your landline, and putting some of the savings towards a higher minute cellphone plan?

If so, did it work out? What were the drawbacks of not having a landline?
If it didn't work out, what drove you back to a landline?

I've been thinking about doing it, and here are some pros and cons I've been considering:

+ Always having my main phone with me wherever I go
+ Easier to turn off when I don't want to be bothered
+ Fewer phones, chargers, wiring to deal with
+ Possibly less telemarketers, politicos and charities calling me

- Concerns about exceeding alotted minutes
- Cost
- Dependency on one device working

My cell works throughout the house, even in the basement, so there is no problem about reception at home.

Your thoughts?

lemew
06-01-2009, 01:43 AM
I didn't like it.

aRBy
06-01-2009, 02:02 AM
(without mentioning any specific carrier, to keep the topic general enough for the lounge)

have you tried dropping your landline, and putting some of the savings towards a higher minute cellphone plan?

If so, did it work out?
We dropped our landlines in October of 2001. Not just personal lines but our business line also.

Everything has been good for the last 7+ years and I donít see any reason why we would be going back.

ok4a56
06-01-2009, 02:53 AM
I am married, and have 3 children ages 15yo, 13yo and 9yo. So we have 5 people on our plan. We don't have a phone phone. Prior to Friends and Family we had 4,000 minutes a month and came close to using those each month. Now with F&F, I was able to drop down to 1400 minutes and we use about 1000 of those per month. So due to F&F, and not having a home phone we are now saving over $150 a month.

For us, 95% of the people we call are VZW, the other 5% go into F&F. There is no reason at all for us to have a home phone.

MountainBikerMark
06-01-2009, 05:43 AM
Wirelessly posted (Ive been Dared: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 240X400 LGE VX9700)

as soon as my contract with the other half Network i am dropping mine. i signed a 1 year contract to get home/ld/dsl for $45 a month but we rarely use it anymore . they said all my extra features were included,even though it was written kinda grayish, and surprise surprise they were not so my phone bill did not end up dropping but $2 a month. i will be dropping it after the contract is up unless they offer me phone/dsl/cable for under $100 like before they put fios in my neighborhood

frail
06-01-2009, 02:07 PM
I dropped my landline a few months ago and replaced it with an additional line on my family share plan. The only drawback for me is not having unlimited local and toll-free calling but that's really only been a minor issue for me.

Mrs.K.
06-01-2009, 02:59 PM
We rarely (and I mean rarely) used our landline phone. It seemed the only people who called the landline were telemarketers. So when we moved in 2006 we decided to try using only our cell phones with the shared plan. We have 4 phones on our shared plan and we still only use about 250 minutes each month.

For us this has been great because we were paying $30+ per month for a phone that we never used. This is much more convenient and cost effective for us.

Fluid
06-01-2009, 07:55 PM
I was very hesitant to drop ours, but once we did it, I was relieved. My wife and I mostly call VZW - VZW so we are on a 700 minute family plan. Most of the calls we make are weekends/nights, so the longer it has been, the less worrisome it is. Most of the people I actually text anyway, and she does also, so there have been months where we use under 250 minutes.

I would never have another landline again.

nhanson
06-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Wirelessly posted (Orange Boulder: utstarc711/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

We only keep ours due to having dsl otherwise we have contemplated on cancelling the landline. We were able to do it for a year before (like 7 years ago though)

TheRupp
06-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I'd love to, I really would. I get about 20 calls a week on it from collections agencies for people that used to have the number that apparently owe a lot of different companies money. And also, it's been call after call recently for air conditioning repair, which is useless seeing as how my house is 2 months old, and I've only been using it for about 3 weeks now.

Unfortunately, I can't drop the land line because of the house's alarm system.

ok4a56
06-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Orange Boulder: utstarc711/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

We only keep ours due to having dsl otherwise we have contemplated on cancelling the landline. We were able to do it for a year before (like 7 years ago though)

Do you have your DSL through AT&T? They say they have DSL now, that does not need home phone service.

ok4a56
06-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Unfortunately, I can't drop the land line because of the house's alarm system.

What do you need an house alarm for, that is just an expensive way to let the police know to come take a burglary report.

TheRupp
06-01-2009, 11:11 PM
What do you need an house alarm for, that is just an expensive way to let the police know to come take a burglary report.

Besides the insurance benefits, burglars aren't gonna wait around to see how many things they can get out of the house before the cops show up. Houses are much different than cars. Also, since I've been burglarized in the past, it helps me sleep a lot more comfortably at night.

elgee02
06-03-2009, 10:43 PM
I've been on my own (aka not living with parents) for the last 5 years and I have never ever had a landline, nor have I ever felt I needed one.

dingster1
06-03-2009, 11:54 PM
I dropped my landline when I dropped DSL. I have 3 people on a family plan, two of us heavy testers/blackberries. No issues.

quint101
06-04-2009, 12:25 AM
I moved out on my own back in 2004 and I had a cell only. It was a lot cheaper. But 8 months ago, I got DSL in my apartment and I had to get the landline as well :crying: My only other option is cable but I cannot accept outages on the internet... a storm came through in April and I was without cable for 4 days :mad: so I guess I am tethered for now LOL

KentIsland
06-04-2009, 11:22 AM
I didnt drop ours, we just never got one when we moved in. It's been 3 years and I see no need for a land line.

Frank S
06-04-2009, 12:54 PM

Just for the record, all the carriers I've delt with will supply DSL without a "dial-tone". In other words, a "dry" DSL line. One of these is usually about $10/mo more than if you simply added DSL to your existing voice line.

-Frank

Lenagainster
06-04-2009, 01:39 PM
One of the reasons that I (and perhaps many others) was (are) reluctant to drop the landline is that your cell becomes your primary number on everything you submit, and will eventually find its way to telemarketers, politicians and charities. Then the incessant calls begin. (With or without being on the DNC list)

But I discovered that on my phone (Dare) and other Verizon phones, it is possible to set it up so that only those on your contact list can ring through. (I'm assuming all others go to voicemail, but I haven't tried it).

Being able to create that kind of "White List" on a cell phone is a plus.

elgee02
06-05-2009, 01:39 AM
In California I had DSL from Verizon Communications without having a landline, and here in AZ I have DSL from Qwest without having a landline.

If a telecom company says you need a landline to have DSL methinks they are just trying to milk another service out of you.

Extraordinary
06-05-2009, 05:24 AM
One of the reasons that I (and perhaps many others) was (are) reluctant to drop the landline is that your cell becomes your primary number on everything you submit, and will eventually find its way to telemarketers, politicians and charities. Then the incessant calls begin. (With or without being on the DNC list)

But I discovered that on my phone (Dare) and other Verizon phones, it is possible to set it up so that only those on your contact list can ring through. (I'm assuming all others go to voicemail, but I haven't tried it).

Being able to create that kind of "White List" on a cell phone is a plus.

I am starting to see that feature more and more on phones, and features that you can send certain numbers to voicemail right away too. I bet it will eventually come on every phone.

BamaDad
06-07-2009, 09:13 AM
I dropped my landline as soon as dry-line DSL became available in my area. The cable company here does not offer internet service so I am locked to DSL. It has been about a year and a half since going wireless-only but I have no regrets. Verizon let me port my home number to my existing line so that I wouldn't lose my number. That was important to me because I have been using the same number for 15 years and I didn't have to send out notices to friends/family/co-workers about a number change. I also have an XLink bluetooth gateway so all my home phones work with the cell. I can't imagine ever going back to POTS.

Kopeke
06-08-2009, 11:01 PM
we are on the verge of dropping our landline, but its tied into our phone/internet/cable package so it would actually cost us more a month (so my parents say..) if we dropped the phone and moved to another package. plus we've had the same landline number for almost 30 years. my opinion would be to port it to another line on our plan but thats just me.

Moderator HF 9
06-09-2009, 06:39 PM
If it were up to me I would no longer have a land line. My wife insists that we have one because she says that the cell phone gives her a headache if she talks on it for to long.

ScruffyGuy
06-09-2009, 06:49 PM
I ditched the land line for a cell phone. The cost works out to be the same, but the convenience is much better. I got tired of playing phone tag when I got home from work and listening to..."You have 8 messages" It became pointless having a home phone.

The only real drawback is when my cellphone has problems and I have to call for tech support from another phone. I ended up realizing I needed a back up phone so I went with the magic jack phone (it is an internet based phone).

For me, having a backup phone is great.

BamaDad
06-09-2009, 11:13 PM
If it were up to me I would no longer have a land line. My wife insists that we have one because she says that the cell phone gives her a headache if she talks on it for to long.
Have you considered trying the XLink BT. If it is the physical feeling of the cell for long periods that is uncomfortable to her this just may be the solution.

tylerrocks09
06-10-2009, 10:55 PM
I moved out on my own back in 2004 and I had a cell only. It was a lot cheaper. But 8 months ago, I got DSL in my apartment and I had to get the landline as well :crying: My only other option is cable but I cannot accept outages on the internet... a storm came through in April and I was without cable for 4 days :mad: so I guess I am tethered for now LOL

Let me guess, you have AT&T for DSL?

tylerrocks09
06-10-2009, 10:56 PM

you talk! :eek: :bulging: :wow: :goodness:

quint101
06-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Let me guess, you have AT&T for DSL?
No, I have Embarq for DSL... Comcast is the cable company...

ok4a56
06-13-2009, 11:20 PM

I get a headache if my wife talks to me to long :buddies:

quint101
06-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Well, I called Embarq to cancel the landline. My plan was to cancel the POTS, keep the DSL, and up my VZW plan. When I called in, I told the rep I wanted to cancel the landlune. She offered me a different plan: 3M DSL and landline for $40+junk fees. The standalone DSL is $40... I decided to keep the landline... my current plan is 3M DSL + landline for $60. So I will keep the VZW plan at the minimum for now :)

paintballaddict
06-16-2009, 01:48 PM
I haven't had a landline in probably about 7 or 8 years, not missing it, and not looking back. I never miss or drop calls so not having a landline is really not an issue for me at all...
Granted I'm paying a few dollars more for my dry-loop dsl but no sense in paying for a dial tone I'm never going to use...

quint101
06-23-2009, 05:13 PM
:clapping: I saw my Embarq bill today... and I am glad I made the change:) My bill went from $73 to $49. I regret not calling Embarq sooner. I am happy!!! Part of me still wants to cut the cord, but since Phone + DSL = DSL (give or take a few dollars), I will keep it as is for not. I just have a lot less features on the landline. Just caller ID plus speed dialing (that's bundled together... CID is $11 alone :eek: )

atwageman
07-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Ditched the landline after 2+ years of arguing with the wife about keeping it back in december 08. I noticed one day on my landline bill a long distance charge from hell. So I called the wife at work and told her at the end of the week I was cutting the landline off, and she better go ahead and let her friends know what her mobile number was. We both have unlimited minutes, so there was no excuse for the long distance charge. We haven't missed it one bit, plus saving about $45 a month.

t-bucket
07-13-2009, 01:38 PM
We had a Sprint/Embarq landline, and ported that number to digital service through the cable company a few years ago to save some money. Free long distance, unlimited calls, etc. Eventually we figured that we could save almost $30/mo. more by porting that number to a cell on our 700 minute family plan. We've had that number too long (25 years) to just get rid of it. The only problem we've had since going completely wireless was that very first month. My wife racked up 704 minutes, just on the old landline number, and the total was 1407 minutes. To be fair, the CSA at the Corp. store assisting us did ask if we wanted to increase the minutes on our plan, but the wife didn't think it was necessary. We have a 1400 minute plan now. The kicker, though, is with F&F, we only use about 200 across all 4 lines.

MrSpock2002
07-28-2009, 01:35 PM
I don't use a landline. My BlackBerry is my communication device. I use it for everything, myspace, facebook, aim,msn,yahoo, phone, etc.

My parents though have the "best of everything" plan from Timewarner and get digital phone in the 3 in 1 package. They use it still.

m7feettall
08-05-2009, 09:50 PM
We went landline free about 5 years ago. We had to worry about minutes in my old job since it was using the phone too, but now I am at an office job, turn of the phone at work since I can't take calls anyway on my personal line, and most of my family are with Verizon. So we dropped back to the loyalty share plan of 550 minutes and saved even more money.

What we found by going with cells only is that the land line was just a waste of time checking something else for messages.

And for the moderator who's wife had problems with the phone, we just get phones with good speakersphones and talk just fine with little radiation and no cramped arm.

For home calls she could get a bluetooth speakerphone and have an even easier time.

MikeNH
08-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Haven't had a landline since I moved out of my parent's house in Feb. 2007. Even then, I had been giving people my cell number over the home number since I got my cell, never once came close to going over my minutes, and I do have alternatives that are far more reliable than a landline incase of a big emergency.

danhikeski
09-09-2009, 07:43 PM
When I moved out of my parents house over ten years ago, I never got a landline. What is the point of having a phone that you can't answer all the time. Maybe if you are living with a few friends/roommates and want to save some money. To tell you the truth, since I bought my house 8 years ago, I don't know if the phone wiring works, but considering that it is a duplex, I can't get rid of the wiring (lots of phone wire stapled along the trim work that looks like poop.

Cut the landline if you can, when companies want a home phonenumber, tell them you don't have one, it's worked for me. (If they require one for registering, give them your old number, that isn't valid anymore, no telemarketers!!)

fredandbetty
09-14-2009, 09:52 PM
thats what I need to do... the only reason we still have one is it is part of the package... and now I can get dry loop DSL, which would save us a lot per month....

SBK
09-19-2009, 07:38 AM
We dropped our land line several years ago as well. I have two kids, so we would have done it earlier than that if not for the fact that our house was wired with landline jacks in many rooms and when the kids were little I felt more comfortable with super easy and fast 911 access no more than an arm's reach or a couple steps away. Not even so much for me but for babysitter / parents / visitors, etc.

Once the kids got a little older, we added a line to our Family Share for my son. Added another Family Share line using an old cellphone and we leave that here at the house as the "house phone." My daughter is 11 now and in a year or two (whenever she starts babysitting other kids) we will likely just cancel that house phone line and open a new Family Share line for her.

Having a phone available to use at the house is handy for visitors and for my daughter's limited use. At this point that phone only rings a few times a week, so it's very close to having reached its limit of usefulness. Cost is reasonable as an extra family share line is only $9.99 + tax.

A great point was raised earlier about spam/telemarketers. I added Google Voice lines for all four of our phones and that's the number I submit for all transactions, credit card and other non-personal interactions. I use GV configured to NOT forward calls to my phone, and my cell has its voice mail number set to GV. Essentially, GV became my free version of Visual Voice Mail.

I'm still playing with it, but Google Voice is an interesting way to handle the lack of a landline. Especially for families as you can set contact lists which forward to certain numbers. That way you could set up one number to basically be your "family number" (landline replacement) and have it forward to the appropriate person's cell based on contact groups.

djjim
09-19-2009, 01:23 PM
I would love to but am tied to my landline with the alarm system, satellite dish and Nielsen TV ratings! SUCKS!!!

cbreze
09-19-2009, 03:48 PM
No LL here. Mobile all the way for several years now. This
a very popular and growing trend. And as was mentioned,
No Telemarketers! YES!!

Relztrah
09-20-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm still playing with it, but Google Voice is an interesting way to handle the lack of a landline. Especially for families as you can set contact lists which forward to certain numbers. That way you could set up one number to basically be your "family number" (landline replacement) and have it forward to the appropriate person's cell based on contact groups.
I haven't used that feature with my GV number, but I do give it out as a public number since I cut the cord on my landline over three years ago. I set it not to forward calls since anybody I really want to speak with already has my cell number. I just let the junk messages pile up on GV.

I've been using Skype for international calls (2Ę/min. to Spain) but in fact I could do the same with GV now that I have it.

Lenagainster
09-21-2009, 05:22 AM
From Broadband Reports:

Verizon CEO Admits Landlines Are Dead
Company likens itself to Google as it purges rural users, COs, employees....

Dead, except for the older generation who are resistant to change, and will be paying the outrageous charges (compared to VoIP or bundling) until their grandchildren shame them into upgrading their services.

PMan
09-24-2009, 08:28 AM
LL are a hassle. I travel and often put my phone in suspended service along with TV and such. The phone company once tried to bill me LD calls during this suspended service. That was enough. Never going back.

fredandbetty
09-26-2009, 10:11 AM
I would love to but am tied to my landline with the alarm system, satellite dish and Nielsen TV ratings! SUCKS!!!

You really do NOT need a landline for most satellite services... things like sunday ticket, or sports subscriptions, or VOD are a little different though.... but I have not had anything other than a movie channel about once a year and have had satellite for about ten years or so with it connected to a landline about a year and a half ( OOPS! forgot about our old TIVO box... but other than that, it really wasn't needed)

Hope that helps... :buddies:

jahoobob
09-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Neither I, my two daughters, a brother, a sister, or my mother have LLs. No need for them.

djjim
09-27-2009, 07:03 AM
You really do NOT need a landline for most satellite services... things like sunday ticket, or sports subscriptions, or VOD are a little different though.... but I have not had anything other than a movie channel about once a year and have had satellite for about ten years or so with it connected to a landline about a year and a half ( OOPS! forgot about our old TIVO box... but other than that, it really wasn't needed)

Hope that helps... :buddies:
Well, they say they will charge $5/month if I do not have a landline hooked up...I dunno?? :befuddled I still have the alarm and Nielsen though. When I am done with Nielsen I will probably cut my landlane and just have my alarm off the phone line. It will still go off, just not call the response center.

VX5400
10-26-2009, 01:04 AM
You know I was wondering. Couldn't you use something like Vonage, or that new Magic Jack setup? If you need a phone line for that crap, and those companies offer phone service via Voip, wouldn't that work? It is pretty cheap too, a nice bonus.

aaf709
11-02-2009, 03:16 PM
We live in San Diego, but in a slight valley. Reception in almost nothing in the bedroom, a bit better in the den (just east of the bedroom) and still better in the living room. I really have to go a block away before I can have a real conversation. On top of that my wife is a technophobe.

Bottom line, if we had to depend on a cell phone at our house for the main way to get calls, we couldn't.

enine
11-03-2009, 09:44 AM
I couldn't get my wife to drop the land line, but it never worked for more than 6 months and was always a hassle calling to get it fixed, so much for phone line reliability. When we moved we were eligible for one of those cable company bundles, $99 for internet, cable and phone with long distance, we were paying $40 for just a pot line with no long distance before so its at least cut the cost and not dependant on the old phone lines.

nitrous9200
11-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Dead, except for the older generation who are resistant to change, and will be paying the outrageous charges (compared to VoIP or bundling) until their grandchildren shame them into upgrading their services.

Many people like my grandparents have had their landline number forever, and my grandma has a cell phone with a limited number of minutes that she doesn't use very often. Right now they've got the FiOS bundle but I thought an Ooma box would be great for them, since it's totally free of service charges and unlimited minutes (they don't even use THAT many) and they still get to keep their traditional phone setup.

djjim
11-03-2009, 10:31 PM
I couldn't get my wife to drop the land line, but it never worked for more than 6 months and was always a hassle calling to get it fixed, so much for phone line reliability. When we moved we were eligible for one of those cable company bundles, $99 for internet, cable and phone with long distance, we were paying $40 for just a pot line with no long distance before so its at least cut the cost and not dependant on the old phone lines.
Wow, must be nice. The cable company here charges $130 a bundle that includes unlimited two state phone, basic cable and internet.....RIPOFF!

enine
11-04-2009, 07:45 AM
I did have just basic analog cable and a 512M capped internet the bundle gave me digital cable and 2M internet, we added a DVR and taxes it comes to $109/month.

Lenagainster
11-08-2009, 06:27 AM
Verizon tipped the balance when they sent me a letter telling me they were bumping my Internet service up by $10/month. Too dependent on FiOS to change, so I looked in to 'bundling'. I can save $23/month when I combine my Internet, TV and cell plans. Additionally, I get 15/5 Internet vs. the 5/2 I currently have. So with my $10 increase, $23 savings, approx. $32 increase in cell plan to get F&F, and $16 decrease by dropping my landline ( VoIP, ) my net increase is only around $3/month. Already solved the problem of not having the cell phone handy when around the house by buying a set of Bluetooth enabled cordless phones that link with the cell and can make and receive calls on the cell phone. Now to convince the BH.

quint101
11-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Just as I was going to cancel the Embarq (now CenturyLink) line and go with just internet, the newly combined entity hiked the stand alone internet by $10/month. So if I decided to just keep the 3/0.5 internet, it would be $50. My "package", consisting of 3/0.5 internet and landline (w/CID and speed dial 8 only), is $49.34 (including the junk fees). If I wanted $40 internet only, I would have to downgrade to the 768K plan.

It is almost tempting to go to Comcast (they offer 6/1 internet for $43), but I have no desire to pay equipment and hookup fees again.

Lenagainster
11-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Well, the old fart doesn't want to drop the $16 VoIP "landline". So the net savings by bundling my Internet, TV and cell over what I was paying is $13. I guess I could put that towards the required data plan when I upgrade to a smartphone from my Dare and give up the $15 VPAK. I wonder if there would be an incentive for Verizon to let me upgrade early, figuring that with a smartphone, I'd have to drop their $15 VPAK for the $30 data plan...?

RyZR
11-19-2009, 11:49 PM
I ditched the landline. It got to the point where the landline became my throw-away number.

Thank you Google Voice.

Pellam
11-24-2009, 08:23 PM
I ditched my landline about 5 years ago. Haven't looked back and have had no regrets.

Fluid
11-24-2009, 09:44 PM
I did also. Great decision. Thanks to Youmail, I don't have to deal with anything I don't want to.

quint101
11-25-2009, 01:21 AM
I am envious of you guys for killing the POTS. It must be nice :) If my service was any cheaper, the POTS would be gone in a minute. When I move, the landline is definitely not moving with me. On the other hand, the incessant calls have died down... probably because few people have the landline and I have no voicemail (and no answering machine)...

If the switching fees werent so high at Comcast, I would have switched by now. It is crazy having to pay three different companies for services (CenturyLink for DSL/phone, VZW for cell, and Comcast for limited basic cable)...

I also wish there were some real competition like fiber. I literally drool over the Big City offerings and I sit and do nothing because there are no promos going on in my area...

sneakattack
11-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (MOT-QA30/00.72 UP.Browser/7.2.7.5.546 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Ditched the landline back in 2000, when we moved from NYC to VA.

mick4394
12-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Our recent move made it possible for me to finally convince my wife that it was OK to cut the cord. Now that we'd be paying long distance to talk to anyone that we know, it really doesn't make any sense to keep the land line. So, as of last week, we're completely wireless.

Lenagainster
12-04-2009, 04:16 PM
.....we're completely wireless.
Congrats, Mick.
We had a power outage yesterday morning. Phone service down. Cellphones still worked. A good case for moving up to a smartphone such as the Droid, since I couldn't access the Pepco Outage Map with my Dare. Had to call my son so he could look it up on his iPhone. What an embarrassment!

fonebrkr
12-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Friends and Family 1400 minutes since it started.
4 cells, no landline...0 regrets.
If one cell happens to get lost/washed/dropped/goes swimming, I have a whole drawer full of spares to easily activate a stand in.
Saves about $50 a month, helps justify my habit.. :cool:

quint101
12-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Friends and Family 1400 minutes since it started.
4 cells, no landline...0 regrets.
If one cell happens to get lost/washed/dropped/goes swimming, I have a whole drawer full of spares to easily activate a stand in.
Saves about $50 a month, helps justify my habit.. :cool:

Cool...

Maybe I need some suggestions. What do you guys do for internet? Is it the cable or DSL option? Am I overlooking something? Only reason I have the landline is because it is cheaper to have it and the DSL vs having naked DSL. I think cable internet would be cheaper ($43) but I am not ready to bite the activation fees.

RedHeadTwink
12-08-2009, 07:27 PM
What I want to know is what you have come up with for Fax machines? I can't justify Ooma for a fax only solution, because for a $249.99 box, with the very small amount of faxes I send, (but need to be able to send, or receive right this moment) it would take 5 years to make any profit, Strangely compared to $40 for comcast's phone, it would be nice.

Lenagainster
12-08-2009, 09:47 PM
What I want to know is what you have come up with for Fax machines? .
A lady who lives up the street from me tried my $15/month VoIP and gave up on it when she discovered she could not send more than one page on her fax machine. She switched to Vonage, which seems to support faxing. In her profession as a psychologist, she is 'required' to submit her reports by fax so that her signature can be authenticated.
But the mention of fax machines brings to mind how obnoxiously slow they work in transmitting a page. Compare that to sending the document as a pdf in an email.
When I learned to drive, we had to know hand signals, where we stuck our left arm out the window and pointed left for a left turn, straight up for a right turn and down to indicate we were stopping. Even after turn signals were invented. When credit cards first came into widespread use, we couldn't use them to buy food. Clothes, furniture, hardware, o.k., but not food. Some people still use film in their cameras. It's painful to see how long it takes for people and businesses and regulations to catch up with technology.
How long will it be before that outdated, slow, lumbering thing called a fax machine is relegated to the trash heap?
Some people still write letters and mail them to friends.... go figure...

oberkc
12-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Got rid of the landline about 6 mo's ago. Internet is with cable. I also use Skype and Google phone to supplement cell. I DO NOT give out cell number to ANY company (google voice number works here). I use skype when I am at the house or travelling overseas.

I noticed, the other night, that there are internet faxing services. Though most cost some money, it may still be cheaper than maintaining a phone line just for the ability to send a facsimile transmission. Perhaps this would work for those keeping their landlines just for this purpose?

Lenagainster
02-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Over eight months have gone by since this thread was started, and I am getting close to pulling the trigger to jettison our 'landline'. A number we have had for about 44 years, but there is no easy way to save it, and with all the telemarketers that have it, I don't think I want to keep it. I can just hear our old fuddy-duddy friends grumbling about having to change our number in their addressbooks, and forgetting how to reprogram our numbers on their cordless phones. A net increase of about $16 per month after we drop our cheap ($15) VoIP "landline", which for the most part has been very reliable except for recent glitches and a few complaints of echo. I'm convinced that if someone wants to call me, call my cell. Want to call the better half, call that cell number. Why have this landline and try to figure out who the call is for, having to write a message if the other person isn't in (at our age, remembering who called doesn't work). And with Google Voice, that can be the replacement number for businesses and such that require a phone number, allowing us to keep our cell numbers private. Time to keep up with the grandkids and put the landline out with the incandescent bulbs and the eight track tape player.

djjim
02-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Over eight months have gone by since this thread was started, and I am getting close to pulling the trigger to jettison our 'landline'. A number we have had for about 44 years, but there is no easy way to save it, and with all the telemarketers that have it, I don't think I want to keep it. I can just hear our old fuddy-duddy friends grumbling about having to change our number in their addressbooks, and forgetting how to reprogram our numbers on their cordless phones. A net increase of about $16 per month after we drop our cheap ($15) VoIP "landline", which for the most part has been very reliable except for recent glitches and a few complaints of echo. I'm convinced that if someone wants to call me, call my cell. Want to call the better half, call that cell number. Why have this landline and try to figure out who the call is for, having to write a message if the other person isn't in (at our age, remembering who called doesn't work). And with Google Voice, that can be the replacement number for businesses and such that require a phone number, allowing us to keep our cell numbers private. Time to keep up with the grandkids and put the landline out with the incandescent bulbs and the eight track tape player.
You can use the money you save to pay the greedy [email protected]@rds at Verizon their new insane forced 10$ data charge.

Lenagainster
02-05-2010, 06:44 AM
You can use the money you save to pay the greedy [email protected]@rds at Verizon their new insane forced 10$ data charge.
Only if I choose a phone that requires it. Got the VPAK for now.

Lenagainster
02-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Done. Started to upgrade plan on line and a message popped up that I had an outdated plan that was no longer offered and had to call Customer Service. I think that was a generic message generated because I have the 'unadvertised' 550 minute NationWide Loyalty plan. So I called CS, got my plan bumped up to 1400 minutes, kept my $15 unlimited VPAK on my Dare, no data plan required on the Moto W755, a $5 text plan on each phone as before, and good to go. Will start with the beginning of the billing period in a week, and yes, I'll have to check my bill carefully to make sure it is correct, but that's what was clearly pointed out to me by the CS rep, and I believe everything a CS rep says to me. :lol:

spawnimpaler
02-06-2010, 07:21 PM
I got rid of my landline about a week after they started porting numbers to any carrier. Haven't looked back since.

djjim
02-06-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm envious of y'all! I wish I could!

Lenagainster
02-07-2010, 06:16 AM
I'm in the process of informing all our contacts that we are dropping our landline and going wireless. It is interesting how the different generations react to the change. To our kids and grandkids, it's ho-hum, that's great, what else is new? But these old farts of my generation, it's bewilderment, shock, confusion. "Does that mean I won't be able to call you on your landline?" YES! I'm dropping the landline! "Oh!, I'm going to have to get some White-Out so I can change your number in my address book!". Yes, dearie, and don't forget to change it on the Rolodex too. "Well, what number should we call you at when you are home?" (Biting my tongue) Our cellphone, honey, call us on our cellphone. "Why are you dropping your landline?" (Would like to say 'None of your f***ing business') You see, sweetie, when you call a number, who are you trying to call? A house or a person? We absolutely need our cellphone for convenience and safety. One person, one phone number. We don't need the extra number of the landline. "But if you are traveling somewhere and I try to call you, will that be a long distance call for me?" (Shaking my head in disbelief) Yes, dear, so don't call my cell phone when I'm away from home....... And we always thought the younger generation was dumb. :doh:

nitrous9200
02-07-2010, 09:43 PM
You could just tell them you're getting a new landline number and they'd never know the difference. maybe...

mch
02-08-2010, 07:02 PM
What I want to know is what you have come up with for Fax machines? I can't justify Ooma for a fax only solution, because for a $249.99 box, with the very small amount of faxes I send, (but need to be able to send, or receive right this moment) it would take 5 years to make any profit, Strangely compared to $40 for comcast's phone, it would be nice.

There are various services that will take a PDF via email and fax it for you, and similarly give you a fax number that will drop images of the fax in your email box.

thusidie
02-08-2010, 11:31 PM
I don't even have a landline. Don't really think they are essential anymore.

Lenagainster
02-09-2010, 06:34 AM
I have to agree with you, but there are many who would argue otherwise.
Some say there is nothing that matches the reliability of POTS.
I'd argue that it's a lot to pay for a questionable, insignificantly higher reliability than a cellphone.
Some claim they need POTS for their alarm systems.
I say get an alarm system that doesn't require a copper line to the house. That's the first thing an educated (if there are any) burglar would cut.
Some say the voice quality on POTS is superior to a cellphone. Agreed. As long as the person you are calling is also on POTS. Luddites win on that point.
For those who talk volumes, POTS, with unlimited local and long distance plans, are cheaper than unlimited cellphone plans.
But if those to whom you talk to in marathon sessions are on your Friends & Family list, or your cell plan covers them as mobile to mobile, the added expense of an unlimited POTS calling plan may not be justified.
POTS will eventually go the way of B&W TV. It may take a generation or two, but it will happen. With fewer and fewer customers, providers will find it uneconomical to support the hard wired infrastructure.

ok4a56
02-13-2010, 12:05 PM
For those who talk volumes, POTS, with unlimited local and long distance plans, are cheaper than unlimited cellphone plans.
But if those to whom you talk to in marathon sessions are on your Friends & Family list, or your cell plan covers them as mobile to mobile, the added expense of an unlimited POTS calling plan may not be justified.

That was our case, with 5 phones an unlimited minutes plan was out of the question. When VZW added the 10 F&F, that was the killer of our land-line. We don't go over 1,300 minutes each month from our 1,400 we have. However our F&F are 3,000 plus.

Lenagainster
03-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Not trying to bump an old thread, but just giving an update on our transition to cellular.
It was a snap. Emailed friends and family two weeks ahead of the date we picked to "drop" the landline, called those without email, and informed them of our new numbers. Kept the landline active for the next billing period to see if any stragglers called. Only one called whose spouse failed to inform them of the change (and one who forgot to change the speed dial on their house phone). The rest were telemarketers. So the phone number we had for the past 42 years was laid to rest without any problems. And so far (knock on wood) only one unwanted call on the cell in a month.
It has been sweet. The 1400 minute plan with F&F is more than adequate. But the 700 minute plan w/o F&F wouldn't be enough. My only concern about this transition is that there is no real protection from telemarketers like we had with our VoIP service. Can block 5 numbers for free or 20 if I pay VZW another $5/mo for user controls. Can't block anonymous calls unless I subscribe to the $5 User Control. But it is a bit less frustrating to hit the ignore button with the cellphone on my hip, than it was to get up in response to the annoying ring of every cordless handset in the house, check the Caller ID, hit the answer button followed quickly by the off button to kill the call.
Perhaps some day, telemarketers will get a conscience and realize how much they are hated, quit, and find a meaningful career, perhaps as a VZW CS rep.

ok4a56
03-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Wow 42 years with the same number.

quint101
03-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Not trying to bump an old thread, but just giving an update on our transition to cellular.
It was a snap. Emailed friends and family two weeks ahead of the date we picked to "drop" the landline, called those without email, and informed them of our new numbers. Kept the landline active for the next billing period to see if any stragglers called. Only one called whose spouse failed to inform them of the change (and one who forgot to change the speed dial on their house phone). The rest were telemarketers. So the phone number we had for the past 42 years was laid to rest without any problems. And so far (knock on wood) only one unwanted call on the cell in a month.
It has been sweet. The 1400 minute plan with F&F is more than adequate. But the 700 minute plan w/o F&F wouldn't be enough. My only concern about this transition is that there is no real protection from telemarketers like we had with our VoIP service. Can block 5 numbers for free or 20 if I pay VZW another $5/mo for user controls. Can't block anonymous calls unless I subscribe to the $5 User Control. But it is a bit less frustrating to hit the ignore button with the cellphone on my hip, than it was to get up in response to the annoying ring of every cordless handset in the house, check the Caller ID, hit the answer button followed quickly by the off button to kill the call.
Perhaps some day, telemarketers will get a conscience and realize how much they are hated, quit, and find a meaningful career, perhaps as a VZW CS rep.

Cool... I saw that Comcast called the other day. If they call back (and if I am able to wring a concession or 2 out of them) I will switch and kill the landline for good. The only calls I have been getting are debt collectors, telemarketers, and Neilsen :eek: C'mon Comcast, please call when I am actually at home LOL

ThePhoneGuy315
03-11-2010, 06:33 PM

My land line costs $67/mo from Verizon with unlimited local and long distance. I'm thinking about canceling it and just adding another line onto my cell plan.

ok4a56
03-11-2010, 06:57 PM
My land line costs $67/mo from Verizon with unlimited local and long distance. I'm thinking about canceling it and just adding another line onto my cell plan.

Dang that is a lot.

MountainBikerMark
03-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Wirelessly posted ( Samsung Omnia: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

I have to agree with you, but there are many who would argue otherwise.
Some say there is nothing that matches the reliability of POTS.
I'd argue that it's a lot to pay for a questionable, insignificantly higher reliability than a cellphone.
Some claim they need POTS for their alarm systems.
I say get an alarm system that doesn't require a copper line to the house. That's the first thing an educated (if there are any) burglar would cut.
Some say the voice quality on POTS is superior to a cellphone. Agreed. As long as the person you are calling is also on POTS. Luddites win on that point.
POTS will eventually go the way of B&W TV. It may take a generation or two, but it will happen. With fewer and fewer customers, providers will find it uneconomical to support the hard wired infrastructure.

you left off corded phones dont need recharging,my wifes reason for keeping our landline #. between ice storms in winter and named storms in summer our electricity working is not a given. heck we had the transformer in our back yard go belly up last spring( 3 days to replace since it only affected 2 houses).
we pay about $75 a month for phone,dsl and every fee/tax/fee on tax/tax on fee known to man. i even pay a .03 local fee to help pay for the expense of collecting fees.

Lenagainster
03-11-2010, 09:18 PM
What really has been working out great for us is a set of Bluetooth enabled cordless phones in the house. We just have one of the two cell phones paired with the "house" phones and whenever we get a call on that cell, all the cordless phones (6) in the house ring. We also make outgoing calls with those cordless phones, through the cell line. If you had a system like that, and then that third new cell could be permanently linked to the house phones (port your home number to that cell), the transition would be painless.

MountainBikerMark
03-12-2010, 06:30 AM
Wirelessly posted ( Samsung Omnia: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

you dont ever get static or the cellphones get out of range?
thats a very cool sounding setup you have Lena

CellTalker
03-12-2010, 04:12 PM
What really has been working out great for us is a set of Bluetooth enabled cordless phones in the house. We just have one of the two cell phones paired with the "house" phones and whenever we get a call on that cell, all the cordless phones (6) in the house ring. We also make outgoing calls with those cordless phones, through the cell line. If you had a system like that, and then that third new cell could be permanently linked to the house phones (port your home number to that cell), the transition would be painless.I like this idea and have been considering something similar, the XLink Bluetooth Cell Gateway. It seems to serves the same purpose to adapt my phones to BT capable without having to buy new handsets. Does anyone have experience with the XLINK? I am past ready to drop my landline but I do want to keep my number and will port it to a cellphone. Thanks.

Lenagainster
03-12-2010, 05:39 PM

you dont ever get static or the cellphones get out of range?

We keep the cellphone in the same room that the base of the cordless phone system is in. That way, the signal is always strong, because it is less than ten feet from the base, and it actually works up to about 30 feet. And the cellular signal is strong in that room as well.

MountainBikerMark
03-12-2010, 09:39 PM

wow thats just cool. now if I can figure out how to explain the setup to my wife in a way she understands Ill just use line 5 for it instead of... nah,she'd never go for it unless it has power when the electricity is off due to storms.
oh well,sounds like a really cool setup

Lenagainster
03-13-2010, 05:44 AM
Wirelessly posted ( Samsung Omnia: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400).. my wife ...she'd never go for it unless it has power when the electricity is off ..

plug the phone system into a battery backup.

MountainBikerMark
03-13-2010, 09:05 PM

youd probably have an easier time convincing your parents to switch to magicjack than I would adding another "gadget" as she calls my stuff for communication. I swear we"d be using a rotary phone if I could find an old hard wire one :lol: but thanks for the idea Lena

Tofs
03-16-2010, 02:44 AM
We dropped our landline in favor of VoIP service from Onesuite. We want to maximize our savings because don't do much outgoing calls ourselves so a prepaid voip service suits us best. Now we also have an option to make VoIP calls when we travel and we are not stuck in using our mobile phones for calling overseas (which is not cheap)

quint101
03-16-2010, 11:24 AM
I maybe one more step closer cutting the cord... Comcast called me moments ago offering me 8/1 internet for $30 (for 6 months). Activation fees are waived. If Comcast internet works for me, I will be saying goodbye to CenturyLink. I like them but I am tired of being stuck on 3/640k internet. And it will be one less payee on payday (since I have limited basic cable).

MountainBikerMark
03-16-2010, 04:45 PM

^^how much is it after the initial price?are you signing a contract and if so how long?
I can get Comcast for $20 a month for 6 monthd but then it jumps up to $60 for the next 18 mths of contract. no thanks. Im paying $18 a mth for dsl,no contract 2/1 which is fine for web surfing and Vonage/magicjack

quint101
03-16-2010, 08:44 PM
$30 for six months then it goes to $53. No long term contracts. My DSL is bundled with the landline and the bundle is $51 after taxes. Otherwise, it would be $40 w/o phone

djjim
03-17-2010, 06:36 AM
My DSL is bundled with the landline and the bundle is $51 after taxes. Otherwise, it would be $40 w/o phone
That is a great deal. I pay $52 after taxes for a local landline with NO features, NO long distance and dsl 1.5/768! I beg for CenturyLink or Windstream here.

Yes, I have At&t :sad:

quint101
03-17-2010, 07:04 PM
That is a great deal. I pay $52 after taxes for a local landline with NO features, NO long distance and dsl 1.5/768! I beg for CenturyLink or Windstream here.

Yes, I have At&t :sad:

That is crazy.... BTW, I only have caller ID and speed dialing on the landline. That combo was given to me when I called to cancel the landline... I do have the 3/640 DSL, though; kinda saddened that they top out at 3.0M in my area... Just ready to perform the Comcast test for more speed :)

I don't envy you at all, djjim... no one can claim high speed when the offering is 1.5M :mad:

MountainBikerMark
03-20-2010, 06:01 PM

$30 for six months then it goes to $53. No long term contracts. My DSL is bundled with the landline and the bundle is $51 after taxes. Otherwise, it would be $40 w/o phone

thats cool. we just got a deal home phone,unlimited in state/out state ld,cid,3/1 dsl $55 month

quint101
03-25-2010, 05:54 PM
I finally did it!!! I killed the landline. I was actually tempted to keep the line when he mentioned the Simple Home phone and measured rate packages, but I could not get past the fees on top of the plan... the fees would have been $10 still on a stripped phone. I was offered a promo $6 (or $16) for 3 months. It's ludicrous that the taxes and junk would have been more than the promo price :mad:

Oh well... At least I have a reliable ISP if Comcast jacks up my account :)

Lenagainster
03-26-2010, 04:39 AM
I finally did it!!! I killed the landline.
:)
Congratulations! Good move.
No regrets here after six weeks w/o the landline; no problems, no missed calls, no telemarketers!
I do feel a bit remiss about not fulfilling my civic duty by not paying all those landline taxes. :crying:

quint101
03-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Congratulations! Good move.
No regrets here after six weeks w/o the landline; no problems, no missed calls, no telemarketers!
I do feel a bit remiss about not fulfilling my civic duty by not paying all those landline taxes. :crying:

You just have to pay the junk on the wireless account (if any) :(

I came home to discover that my phone isnt disconnected ?!!? Came home to 6 missed calls on the caller ID... my landline doesnt really want to die :mad: I will have to see what is up in the morning :(

ThePhoneGuy315
03-26-2010, 08:14 PM
You just have to pay the junk on the wireless account (if any) :(

I came home to discover that my phone isnt disconnected ?!!? Came home to 6 missed calls on the caller ID... my landline doesnt really want to die :mad: I will have to see what is up in the morning :(

What company did you have? I had Vartech and they tried to bill me after I canceled my service and switched to Verizon.

I now pay $59 with Verizon, $4 more than Vartech and get less services. The only calls I get are telemarketers, the land line is really useless to me. The last few times I've had to call 911 I used my cell phone. When the power goes out cell phones still work. I don't even bother plugging in the corded phone to get a call from a telemarketer. :lol: When I cancel I'm going to port my number to a tracfone until I can get real internet connection and Vonage .

Lenagainster
03-27-2010, 05:38 AM
....I don't even bother plugging in the corded phone to get a call from a telemarketer. :lol: When I cancel I'm going to port my number to a tracfone until I can get real internet connection and Vonage .
You should consider changing your number if at all possible if you want to get rid of telemarketers. If you keep the same number and port it wherever you go, telemarketers will follow you. We had the same landline number for over 42 years. Dropping it caused no problems for our friends and family and we ditched all the telemarketers that were hounding us. There are potential problems with porting to tracfone, then to Vonage, if it will work at all. Of course, if the number is on a business card, or a special set of digits, changing numbers may not be an option.

ThePhoneGuy315
03-27-2010, 12:23 PM
If I do port over to a tracfone, it will stay off most of the time. I can use the voice mail for free with the remote pass code. I might not even get Vonage. Skype seems like a better alternative, for what little bit I will use it. I hate to lose a number that everyone already knows.

quint101
03-27-2010, 01:08 PM
I called Centurylink... apparently, it takes time to disconnect a landline :befuddled . Monday is the drop dead day.

quint101
03-29-2010, 06:41 PM
It got shut off in the wee hours this morning :) I was considering downdrading my Verizon cell plan but I decided to keep the minutes and add my Google Voice as one of the Friends and Family numbers... I can give out the Google number instead of the cell :)

I am gonna miss the landline when the batteries die, but I have an extended battery for my phone and I have three prepaid phones on different networks.

Overland1
05-19-2010, 08:41 AM

Exactly. There are other ways to deal with intruders, and the police can still come and do their paperwork afterward. ;)

Uallach
10-03-2010, 09:16 AM
If it were up to me I would no longer have a land line. My wife insists that we have one because she says that the cell phone gives her a headache if she talks on it for too long.

May I submit an early holiday-gift suggestion?:

http://www.boomspeed.com/carshaw/ThinkGeekRetroHandsetAttachedToCellphone_Black.jpg

Seriously, though, I've purchased one of these, . . . not because of the public spectacle I might make of myself, on the commuter rail, but, rather, to conduct lengthy home-based conversations in ergonomic comfort. For those times when the speakerphone is not private enough, and for those people (like me) who would prefer not to employ bluetooth technology without their tinfoil hats snug upon their heads! http://www.boomspeed.com/carshaw/AFDB_Smiley.gif

tinasdude
10-06-2010, 09:37 PM
i am the older generation. dropped the land line.fired the cable company. got DSL internet and basic cable 34.95 for 12 months guaranteed. have magic jack and GV. Dont forward my calls either. Fired ATT cell and went to straight talk. only thing i miss is the better phones from the big 4. Saving about 1500 bucks a year. no brainer. prolly could throw away cable too. With netflix, redbox, vuze and a host of others, really don't need it

smyrna5
10-07-2010, 06:01 AM

I just tell people that want to use a fax (how yesterday is that?) that I don't have one. If pressed, most will let me just email them things. All my clients use email now, and even get all my bills that way (I am a consultant that works from home). I also have a scanner so if I need to send them a document that have signed etc, I just scan it as a PDF and send it off. About once or twice a year I have to actually fax something to an antiquated business, so I go to a real office I have access to and use the fax there.

HF305
10-07-2010, 02:09 PM
There used to be companies on the web running virtual fax machines. For a price, you could email them a document and they would convert it to fax format and make a phone call to send it out. Or receive the same way. Don't remember any of the names though.

Lenagainster
11-08-2010, 07:53 AM
It has been nine months since we dropped our landline, and I thought I would throw out some observations about going strictly cellular (although we have a rarely used Google Voice number). We remember all the times we would walk into the house and look first for any blinking lights on the answering machine. No more missed calls now, unless we are behind the wheel or at a place where we intentionally turn the phone off. Much easier to control when the phone rings. No more telemarketers, and throughout the mid-term election hoopla, not one political call. No more missed calls from the doctor's office confirming appointments, and more importantly, not missing a call with some medical test results. No more hanging around the house waiting for a call that our car is ready at the shop. We never have to tell anyone that we are "out of town". We don't have to give out more than one number for folks to reach us. We use our Google Voice number for businesses and when required on forms, but have never had any conflicts and rarely get any calls to our GV number. One minor issue is that if we don't have a store "bonus" card with us, we can enter our home phone number. Usually we can't remember if they have the old number or our Google Voice number. I'd say that the only disadvantage of not having a landline is that we used to have a phone extension in almost every room in the house. So when someone called (when we were home), a phone was right there to be picked up. Now, we have to keep the cellphone handy. (Bluetooth enabled cordless phones didn't work for us; tried it, dropped too many calls).
We are in our late 60s and most of our friends still think they need a landline. What a waste of money!