PDA

View Full Version : Adapting cordless phones to use wireless service via Bluetooth

Lenagainster
10-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Has anyone tried a device, such as Xtreme Technologies XLink Bluetooth Gateway or the Gigaset-One Bluetooth Mobile Phone Link, to use your phones throughout the house on your wireless service?

I'm anxious to drop the landline and go strictly wireless, but the BH still wants the convenience of answering and making calls anywhere in the house and not have to carry the cellphone all the time. This Bluetooth device may be a solution. The reviews I've read seem generally positive.

Anyone with experience with such a device?

Lenagainster
10-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Couldn't wait any longer for some feedback, so I took the plunge and ordered the Xlink from Amazon. A couple of hours later, I was out at Costco where they had a four handset cordless system that incorporated Bluetooth, and did exactly what I wanted to use the Xlink for, at the same price. Was able to cancel Amazon, bought the DECT 6 Vtech system and set it up, replacing my (interference free) 2.4 GHz Unidens. Working out so far.

ParthG
10-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Well, I've been looking to do the same for some time but there haven't been many decently priced cordless phone+base systems out there that support more than 50 entries in the contact phonebook. I can't even consider only 50 since I have at least 90 on my cell phone and I get many more calls on my home phone.

I see that you bought a DECT 6.0 VTECH product.. is it possibly this phone? http://www.vtechphones.com/vtechui/store/dsp_product.cfm?itemID=3987&parent=23560

I can't find many HONEST reviews about it. CNET and other big reviewers are mostly biased toward one particular brand and slander everything else. Most often those "awesome-rated" phones cost $150+ and IMHO that's too much money to spend on a cordless phone system.

Lenagainster
10-27-2009, 05:00 AM
Not the one you cited. The one I bought from Costco is the Vtech DS6322-4; the 4 indicating four handsets. ($99.99) I couldn't find any reviews on it. I have a similar looking single Vtech phone that has been trouble free and thought I'd take a chance on this set. Aesthetically pleasing, bigger screen than my old Unidens. Sound is crisp and clear. Not a lot of variation in ring tones available. One downside I discovered is that while one can register two Bluetooth enabled devices, it will only work with one device at a time. If one device is already paired, and another that is registered is enabled, the first one is turned off. I thought it could handle two, just the way the Xlink I had been considering, could handle three at a time. However, for my needs, just one is o.k. Additional handsets are available online if I ever want to replace phones that don't have the cell feature. Up to 12 handsets can be added. The names of the handsets could be customized on my Unidens but not on these, and they are just labeled "Handset 1", "Handset2", etc... The phones have been set up for less than a day and we haven't tested them out fully. They only need to be charged for fifteen minutes or so and then you can play with them and make short calls. Overnight, they were charged fully. The instruction manual for this phone set is quite thick and so is the person reading it. But poking the menu/select button and finding things is fairly intuitive. It is nice to be able to change all the ringtones and all the volumes on all phones from one handset. The cellphone directory can be downloaded to the phones.
I found that the cellphone could be in one room and the base in another, straight line distance about 12 feet through a wall. An incoming call to the cell, transferred to the phones, was clear. But when I tried uploading the directory at that distance, it aborted after acquiring about 90% of the entries. I moved the cell closer to the base (1') and it worked the first time. Can't say much more as I have had the phones for such a short time, only to reiterate that the sound of one's voice is much clearer and crisper than the Unidens I had been using for years. HTH

Lenagainster
10-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Interesting to note that if a call comes in via the cellphone and is answered on one handset, calls can still be made at the same time on another handset via the landline; and visa versa.

Also discovered that when the connected cellphone gets out of range, it is dropped (obviously) and when it comes back in range, even after a very long time, it is automatically picked up. No user action required.

Lenagainster
10-28-2009, 08:57 AM
An update on the "downside" I discussed regarding these Vtech phones. According to the manual, it "should" be able to have two active cell phones at one time (but can only handle one cell call at a time). But I have been unable to have both a Motorola W755 and an LG Dare active at the same time. I think there is some incompatibility with the Dare. Have not tried to solve the problem since I intend to just use one cell phone linked to the house phones.

Lenagainster
10-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Just another note on what I thought was a "downside" of the phone system. Don't know what I did differently, but I was able to pair and make active two cell phones at one time on this system. Even though I don't intend to use two at a time, it bothered me that something was not working right. So one really can have two active cell phones plus the landline working through these handsets.

garraty47
10-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.1 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; ) 400x240 LGE VX10000)

I found a GE branded device that works perfectly for what you are looking for, costs around $50 and does not require you change any existing phones or buy any new cordless phones. You can use any of your existing house phones (including cordless) on this bluetooth connected device. And, it can handle two cell phones (although only one can be in use at a time).

This cell link device is made by GE/Thompson and is model #21518EC1-A (it doesn't have the name written on it, but it's easy to find searching Google or eBay). I paid less than $50 including shipping and love it.

It basically acts as a bluetooth headset that you can dial remotely from, and will make your house phones (that are plugged into the device) ring at the same time as your cell. It's exactly what we needed to get rid of our landline. Just leave your cell on its charger somewhere in the house and now you can use regular or cordless phones instead, utilizing your cell connnection/minutes.

Lenagainster
10-31-2009, 02:59 PM

I found a GE branded device that works perfectly for what you are looking for, costs around $50 ... model #21518EC1-A (it doesn't have the name written on it, but it's easy to find searching Google or eBay). I paid less than $50 including shipping and love it.....It basically acts as a bluetooth headset that you can dial remotely from, ....

Probably another good choice for those who don't want to spend any more than they have to and don't want new phones. In my case, I'm glad I got the new DECT 6 phones in the deal; they sound noticeably better that my 2.6 GHz Unidens (although the Unidens were acceptable). Since the vtechs are set up as a complete (but expandable) system, one plus is that if one person is on either the cell line or the house line, another person can make or receive a call on the other line, using another handset. And choosing to dial out on the cell line requires only a push of a button on the handset, not a code.

In any case, incorporating Bluetooth into the home phone system is a tremendous improvement in the way we handle calls.

garraty47
11-08-2009, 11:44 AM

The bluetooth cell-to-phone device we use is called the GE Cell Fusion, paid less than $50 brand new with shipping included (someone on eBay or Amazon should have them available).

I love that it connects automatically when I enter the house (with bluetooth on my phone turned on), and my home phone system is tethered to my cell as long as I'm home. My wife's phone connects to it, also. Only one cell can be in use at a time, but we seldom use our phones at the same time and of course there is need to pickup a landline/cordless/wired phone to use it for texting, etc.

$50 and you don't have to change any existing house phones to use it.

garraty47
11-08-2009, 11:47 AM

Oops, that should have read "there is NO need to pickup"

aks2000
12-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Just another note on what I thought was a "downside" of the phone system. Don't know what I did differently, but I was able to pair and make active two cell phones at one time on this system. Even though I don't intend to use two at a time, it bothered me that something was not working right. So one really can have two active cell phones plus the landline working through these handsets.
Could you make two cell calls at the same time or just one call at a time even though you had two active cell phones configured ? Thanks

Lenagainster
12-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Could you make two cell calls at the same time or just one call at a time even though you had two active cell phones configured ? Thanks
Even though two devices can be paired, only one cell call can be made at a time. A cell and a landline call can be made from different handsets at the same time.

steinr98
12-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Couldn't wait any longer for some feedback, so I took the plunge and ordered the Xlink from Amazon. A couple of hours later, I was out at Costco where they had a four handset cordless system that incorporated Bluetooth, and did exactly what I wanted to use the Xlink for, at the same price. Was able to cancel Amazon, bought the DECT 6 Vtech system and set it up, replacing my (interference free) 2.4 GHz Unidens. Working out so far.
I did try the xllink- It didn't work for me. Lots of echos and it kept dropping the line. I then tried the Panasonic version and it also would drop my cell all the time. I called the company and the rep couldn't get it set up correctly either. I finally quit. The V tech is the first new system Ihave ween and may try it.
Thanks for the info!!