PDA

View Full Version : Verizon LG Fathom VS750 Release Thread

FAUguy
03-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Here is some new info and pic of the LG VS750.

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/The-VS750-will-be-LGs-first-smartphone-for-Verizon-article-a_10345.html

It is also expected out by the middle of April.

http://i39.tinypic.com/33w2yzb.jpg

DP102288
03-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Ooh! Nice! Thanks for the headsup! At least it looks like it has a decent amount of onboard memory. Not loads of it, but not horrible.

MountainBikerMark
03-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Wirelessly posted ( Samsung Omnia: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

at a glance it looks like Touch,only slider vs clamshell. thats probably a good thing since the enV style flip seems to be on the way out but typical LG/Verizon style, a step behind the rest in features and will probably need 600 firmware updates to work right. the dedicated 3.5mm jack is a nice feature along with World capability. for LG fans it should be a winner. my sister in law is jumping up to smartphones from her Voyager/pda combo. this should fit her perfectly

Snap315
03-24-2010, 02:49 PM
The VS750 is a very nice looking and performing phone.

It feels great in the hand and almost as solid as the Droid. The screen is bright, beautiful, and responsive. The slide out keyboard is a great added feature.

The top of the phone has the Power/Lock button. Along the left side of the phone is the Volume button and a micro-USB port. The right side has the dedicated Camera and Task Manager buttons (which is very handy!). The front has three button (Call/Answer - Window Quick Start - End/Hang-Up). The back is where the 3.2MP camera is located.

Personally I'm not much into Smartphones, but this one I could really learn to live with. It is a very nice phone overall.

:blush:

avNY87
04-01-2010, 12:44 AM
Seems kinda interesting to me. I'm looking to move up to a smartphone when my current contract is up so this might be one that I'll be keeping my eye on.

The VS750 is a very nice looking and performing phone.

It feels great in the hand and almost as solid as the Droid. The screen is bright, beautiful, and responsive. The slide out keyboard is a great added feature.

The top of the phone has the Power/Lock button. Along the left side of the phone is the Volume button and a micro-USB port. The right side has the dedicated Camera and Task Manager buttons (which is very handy!). The front has three button (Call/Answer - Window Quick Start - End/Hang-Up). The back is where the 3.2MP camera is located.

Personally I'm not much into Smartphones, but this one I could really learn to live with. It is a very nice phone overall.

:blush:
Did it have the standard WM 6.5 UI or LG's S Class UI?

avNY87
04-08-2010, 08:45 PM
It'll be called the Fathom. More details: http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/LG-Fathom-VS750-and-BlackBerry-Bold-9650-pops-up-in-Verizons-internal-systems-article-a_10690.html

Steve.G
04-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Wirelessly posted ( Samsung Omnia: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

at a glance it looks like Touch,only slider vs clamshell. thats probably a good thing since the enV style flip seems to be on the way out but typical LG/Verizon style, a step behind the rest in features and will probably need 600 firmware updates to work right. the dedicated 3.5mm jack is a nice feature along with World capability. for LG fans it should be a winner. my sister in law is jumping up to smartphones from her Voyager/pda combo. this should fit her perfectly

It's a winmo device so you're not relying on firmware updates from VZW. Just cook up a new rom and away you go.

ParthG
04-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Let's just hope it's as easy as that... the XDA community only really cares about HTC devices.

nitrous9200
04-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Thankfully there are other places to get your custom firmware on. But I still don't see the market for this phone as the TP2 exists and looks a lot better than this. Plus who wants WM nowadays while it slowly fades into obsolescence?

sailormike62
05-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Looks like we have a bit more info on the phone. I'm wondering if it will be released the same day as the Ally - 5-20-10

http://www.lge-phones.com/lg-fathom-vs750-details-provided.html

norif
05-11-2010, 01:27 PM
This is interesting. I'm be looking forward to seeing the reviews and videos.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some hands-on time at the local Verizon resellers once it's released. :)

FAUguy
05-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Expect this by the end of the month.

DP102288
05-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Hmmm...It will have the S-Class UI. This looks very much like a TP2. I will go and play with one to compare when it is released. I do want to see what LG did with WinMo.

FAUguy
05-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Announced today. May 27 for B2B, June 3 for everyone else. $149 after rebate (2 year contract).
http://news.vzw.com/news/2010/05/pr2010-05-21b.html

I've recieved my demo unit and will be working on the review this week.
So far it's not bad for a WinMo 6.5 device, but still has the resistive touchscreen. (I was hoping it might be capacitive like the Ally, but it's not.)
The keyboard buttons are a bit flatter and not raised as much as the keyboard on the Ally.

taoman
05-24-2010, 05:26 PM
LG Fathom customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan.........I wonder what this means exactly? In the past, anyone on an old calling plan (ACI, ACII, etc) could activate any smartphone (with a data plan) and stay on their old calling plan. The way this is worded makes me wonder if those days are over. Any VZW employee know for sure?

FAUguy
05-25-2010, 01:17 AM
Here's my Hands-On Preview of the LG Fathom

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Hands-on-with-the-Verizon-LG-Fathom-VS750-article-a_11490.html

zanix
05-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Here's my Hands-On Preview of the LG Fathom

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Hands-on-with-the-Verizon-LG-Fathom-VS750-article-a_11490.html

Does the camera have a flash?

FAUguy
05-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Does the camera have a flash?
No, as I said in the preview "There is also a 3.2MP autofocus camera, though it lacks an LED flash."

zanix
05-25-2010, 09:31 PM
No, as I said in the preview "There is also a 3.2MP autofocus camera, though it lacks an LED flash."

Darn! Why would a phone mfg not add a camera flash to their camera? My LG Env2 and Env3 both have flash. That is disappointing.

avNY87
05-25-2010, 09:38 PM
The Env2 doesn't have flash.

DP102288
05-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Oooh, thanks. I thought this phone was going to have S-Class. I am interested to see how it stacks up compared to a TP2.

Especially since this could be the last WinMo phone Verizon puts out, no? I really have no idea, but what else is in the pipes?

TK093
05-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Oooh, thanks. I thought this phone was going to have S-Class. I am interested to see how it stacks up compared to a TP2.

Especially since this could be the last WinMo phone Verizon puts out, no? I really have no idea, but what else is in the pipes?

I would not be suprised if that is the last WinMo 6.5 phone you see on Verizon. We schedule roadmaps with them every so often where we get heads up on some things under NDA. (So I couldn't tell you specifics anyway) but even their roadmaps don't go out that far. (At least the ones they show their corp customers.) They are pimping the HTC Incredible hard core.. even though it doesn't do exchange policy data-at-rest encryption, which is a requirement for a lot of companies in the financial market.

FAUguy
05-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Here's my review of the LG Fathom:
http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/LG-Fathom-VS750-Review-review-r_2448.html

Frank S
05-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Darn! Why would a phone mfg not add a camera flash to their camera? My LG Env2 and Env3 both have flash. That is disappointing.Because, those little tiny phone-camera flashes are only good for a distance of a couple of feet anyway. And... they drain the battery quickly. Just not worth a hoot. Who takes pictures at two feet anyway? I know, probably everyone on Howard Forums :lol:

-Frank

WaltA
05-28-2010, 10:56 AM
I am interested to see how it stacks up compared to a TP2.

Beyond those things which are really just personal preference, the big hardware difference is the 1G processor.

nitrous9200
05-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Because, those little tiny phone-camera flashes are only good for a distance of a couple of feet anyway. And... they drain the battery quickly. Just not worth a hoot. Who takes pictures at two feet anyway? I know, probably everyone on Howard Forums :lol:

-Frank

You should see the camera on the Omnia, that thing can light up an entire room and it's probably one of my favorite features of the phone (even just to use it as a flashlight, although the camera is great too).
As for the Fathom, it does a decent job of skinning WinMo 6.5 to make it look fairly modern and professional, and the speed looks good as well from what I can see in video reviews. But all things considered, it's still a WM phone and with the lack of widespread third party support like Android or iPhone, I can't see too many people buying these unless some business needs WM for whatever reason. Too bad, since the hardware is pretty good.

Steve.G
05-28-2010, 10:42 PM
I played with a Fathom recently. I really liked it for what it is. It's a winmo device with an actual fast processor. I like Winmo 6.5.. I think the slide to unlock seems a little small in comparison to the rest of the phone and wish they had gone with something more like s2u2. It clips along very nicely and if I was still doing the windows thing this device would be at the top of my list.

FAUguy
05-28-2010, 11:33 PM
I played with a Fathom recently. I really liked it for what it is. It's a winmo device with an actual fast processor. I like Winmo 6.5.. I think the slide to unlock seems a little small in comparison to the rest of the phone and wish they had gone with something more like s2u2. It clips along very nicely and if I was still doing the windows thing this device would be at the top of my list.
I would tend to agree.
If the Fathom came out a year ago (before the Droid launch), then it would be a nice WinMo phone. But as of now, I wouldn't buy one, its too late on the market. If it were me, I'd would of had LG wait until WinPhone 7 was out and release the Fathom with that (instead of 6.5) and have a capacitive display instead of the resistive.

WaltA
05-30-2010, 06:58 AM
My concern is that WinPhone is not a follow-on to WinMobile. If I have to start all over again (all new apps, etc), there is no advantage with WinPhone over any other OS like Android.

If the Fathom is WinMobile's last hurrah at VZW, it might be worth it just to gain two more years out of all my WinMobile apps I use and like. Then I will re-evaluate the OS's again in 2012 (will Microsoft abandon WinPhone users like it is WinMobile users??).

DP102288
05-30-2010, 10:42 PM
If the Fathom is WinMobile's last hurrah at VZW, it might be worth it just to gain two more years out of all my WinMobile apps I use and like. Then I will re-evaluate the OS's again in 2012 (will Microsoft abandon WinPhone users like it is WinMobile users??).

While I feel the exact same way (this is the last WinMo phone), I keep reading the Microsoft will support Windows Mobile, alongside Windows Phone, for at least some time. I am very interested to see how this (dual OS support) pans out.

FAUguy
06-01-2010, 01:57 AM
My concern is that WinPhone is not a follow-on to WinMobile. If I have to start all over again (all new apps, etc), there is no advantage with WinPhone over any other OS like Android.

My guess is that current (up to date) programs for WinMobile will work on Win Phone 7 for the time being. Just look at Windows OS. They still have 32 bit version of Windows 7, even though newer PCs can run 64 bit.

WaltA
06-01-2010, 07:43 AM
My guess is that current (up to date) programs for WinMobile will work on Win Phone 7 for the time being. Just look at Windows OS. They still have 32 bit version of Windows 7, even though newer PCs can run 64 bit.

While that will be nice, everything I have read concludes it will not be true. WinPhone is not simply an upgraded WinMobile, its a whole new unique OS.

Just look at Windows OS. All sorts of XP apps and drivers stopped working with Vista, and that was just with an OS upgrade from v5.1 to v6.0.

DP102288
06-01-2010, 10:29 PM
I've read all over the place that there will be no backward compatibility from WinMo to WinPho. :(

WaltA
06-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Breaking from the WinMobile vs. WinPhone debate, and back to the Fathom itself...

Has anyone here actually used one of these? Is the call quality really as bad as the on-line reviews are claiming?

I might be in the minority, but I actual use my phone for talking more than anything else. So, good clear calls are quite important to me.

DP102288
06-02-2010, 11:13 PM
^^ Phonescoop's review says call quality is very good. And the battery talk time is pretty good too!

FAUguy
06-03-2010, 01:25 AM
^^ Phonescoop's review says call quality is very good. And the battery talk time is pretty good too!

Yes, the talk time is good (about 7 hours). But I had the Ally and Fathom both here at the same time, and the Fathom did not sound as clear as the Ally. I could also hear some rattling distortion in the earpiece speaker.

WaltA
06-03-2010, 07:31 AM
I could also hear some rattling distortion in the earpiece speaker.

Yea, that is one of the negative comments I have read. If one turns the volume higher than just "medium", the earpiece speaker starts to rattle and vibrate.

slashdog88
06-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Is there a way to turn on threaded SMS messaging on this phone because i played with it today and it wasn't there. I have it on my i760 and feel that I would be going backwards with out it.

vprasad
06-19-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm looking forward to this as a Verizon successor to my i760 as well and was puzzled by the Arcsoft unthreaded SMS. Beyond that, playing with it in the store, it seems like a great WinMo successor. Is there a way to remove the Arcsoft and just use the default Win Mo 6.1-6.5 series threaded messaging?

I don't see any dedicated forums for this phone here in HoFo or xda Developers or PPC Geeks or MoDaCo-- is that b/c it hasn't been hacked yet to allow custom roms? Or is it that the phone is so new?

I'm sure someone will start to ramble about how Win Mobile is losing market share and how we should consider other "real" phones. So here's the pre-emptive response: I was considering the HTC & Motorola Android and Palm WebOS phones, but the whole "you must sync to GMail or Exchange; no direct to PC for you!" is unsettling to say the least. And yes, there are 3rd party syncing programs out there (ie http://www.markspace.com/products/missing-sync-family.html) but they've been receiving mediocre reviews for the prices being charged. And yes, Microsoft is headed in the same direction with their Windows Phone 7 / Windows Live sync services, so that's why I'm sticking with 6.x

DP102288
06-20-2010, 12:24 AM
^^ Speaking of you must Gmail your Droid...I have one I've been messing around with. I couldn't use half of the phone because I didn't link it to my Google Account. I wanted to check the calendar to see what day of the week a specific date was. I couldn't even do that.

Now granted the phone is made to be tied to Google. But I don't think it is absolutely necessary to have someone use Google services to use a phone's calendar. I'm sure its nice to have everything tied together, but since I like to micromanage, Windows Mobile, time and time again, is my favorite OS.

vprasad
07-19-2010, 02:12 AM
Some thoughts on my recent acquisition...

The Purchase
-purchased at Best Buy for $99 plus taxes worked out to $150 total

Audio Quality
-very good; turning the volume all the way up and on speaker can be a little distorted, but clear enough-- cell phones are typically not intended to host conference calls in a meeting room

The Physical appearance
-feels lighter and is thinner than the i760
-touch screen is solid, not squishy
-No "Soft Key" physical buttons (weaned myself off a few weeks before buying)
-D-Pad is on the slideout keyboard

Touchscreen
-weird overlay that sorta looked like an existing screen protector (notch cut out for the proximity sensor) but coulda just been the screen itself; didn't feel like tempting fate by trying to yank it off
-flick to scroll excellent in Internet Explorer
-IE page rendering MUCH improved over the version on the i760
-IE handling pages with a lot of content is not so hot due to periodic "out of memory on line xxx" errors
-gestures to unlock and go straight to a specific function/application is a great concept

-how do I display owner information on after locking the screen?

Contrast on the home screens--
- Settings/Home/Items: "Windows Default" or: Date, Wireless, Getting Started, Messaging, Tasks, Calendar, Windows Live, Bing, Device Lock
vs. i760: Calendar, Owner Info, Getting Started, Messages/Missed Calls, Taska, Get Applications, E911 Plugins, Wireless, Device Lock
Any way to get the missing Owner Info back?

Start Menu/Windows Button:
-entire screen full of staggered icons- any way to get a menu list?

There's a good bit of unnecessary crapware pre-installed by Verizon to nickel & dime customers in addition to the $30 dataplan:
Visual Voicemail ($3/month subscription too) for those who don't want to dial into the voicemail prompter
City ID ($2/month subscription or $35 purchase) for those who don't want to look up an area code/exchange using a search agent
VZ Navigator ($10/month subscription or $3/day or $5/week) for portable GPS services
-voicedial is now a matter of squishing and holding the dial button to launch some program from Nuance, but there is no audible feedback and it seems to require looking at the screen... defeating the whole point of voicedial
-Onscreen keyboard works surprisingly well with chubby fingers in portrait mode

Factory Reset
- Settings/System/Memory/Clear Storage has options to choose "Factory Default" or "Custom Configuration". The Tips, Hints and Shortcuts manual states, "This will erase all data and install the enterprise's custom configuration." Has anyone played around with Custom Configuration?

A few threads related to attempts to remove the Arcsoft client:
http://www.modaco.com/content/pocket-pc-customisation/311001/help-with-lg-fathom-vs750/
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=126664
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=6975946&styleid=15

vprasad
07-19-2010, 03:09 AM
Several .wav files I had in my i760's /windows directory used for alarms are not recognized in the Fathom's alarms file lists. Anybody know a way around this to get my old .wavs to work as alarms?

Forgot to mention that the Fathom seems to periodically forget that I associated it with a wireless network and requires I re-enter the WPA information multiple times. Anyone else with similar experience?

WaltA
07-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Several .wav files I had in my i760's /windows directory used for alarms are not recognized in the Fathom's alarms file lists. Anybody know a way around this to get my old .wavs to work as alarms?

I haven't gotten a Fathom yet, but I believe the WM standard for audio files is that .mp3 files go into My Device\My Documents\My Ringtones and .wav files go into My Device\Application Data\Sounds.

WaltA
07-19-2010, 07:27 AM
-D-Pad is on the slideout keyboard

I actually think of that as a "plus". Most other of the new WM phones with WVGA display, removed the D-pad altogether.

Start Menu/Windows Button:
-entire screen full of staggered icons- any way to get a menu list?

I believe the staggered icons are the "new look" of WM 6.5.3.

However, I couple of apps I have checked into, and look promising are:

AMeBa: Adapting Menu Bar for WM6.5.x (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=583002) -- This helps deal with the new Start and X functions.

Quick Menu (http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/quickmenu.shtml) -- This can get you back the older style of Start Menu (integrates well with AMeBa)

And if you want to get rid of the redundant soft Start key, try setting the Registry key that LG forgot, HardwareStartKeyEnabled (http://www.xda-developers.com/tag/windows-mobile-6-5-x/) (scroll down to "HTC HD Mini Theme")

WaltA
07-19-2010, 09:49 AM
I have read elsewhere, with great alarm, that the GPS and ICS are inhibited on the Fathom. I thought VZW stopped doing this a couple of years ago. :befuddled

Can anyone confirm, one way or another, if apps like Google Map and the new Bing Navigation, work on the Fathom?

vprasad
07-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Alarms not showing up may or may not be due to a filesize limitation which was not present in WinMo 6.1. Will test out later.

re: GPS -- Bing forced me to upgrade on launch, saying that I needed to upgrade before being able to use the application. I clicked NO b/c I was busy doing other stuff and the application was stuck until I terminated from the taskmanager (handily mapped on the right side button by default). Launched Bing again, let it do its update, and GPS failed and then received a message that this newer version of Bing is not fully compatible with the phone-- not sure if the GPS failure was due to Bing's compatibility or if GPS is indeed disabled.

MountainBikerMark
07-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Ophone :cell:: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

Windows market said I needed to do the update on my working Bing
now when I try to start Bing it says its not compatible with my screen resolution :doh:

WaltA
07-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Windows market said I needed to do the update on my working Bing
now when I try to start Bing it says its not compatible with my screen resolution :doh:

Does Google Maps work at all? :befuddled

I am just attempting to separate a possible Bing problem, with what I would say is a more serious problem that GPS itself is locked down (supporting only VZNav).

BTW, the new Bing complains that it doesn't support my Touch Pro, but works except for its new talking Nav function.

norif
07-19-2010, 07:10 PM
This looks like a Bing issue. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsmobilehelp/threads The forum at Windows Phone Help has several threads about the new Bing update not working properly in one way or another. Hopefully, it's ONLY a Bing issue...

vprasad
07-20-2010, 01:44 AM
re: Google Maps & GPS -- not sure if this will allay your fears or confirm them:
by default it does the non-GPS method of finding you (triangulation?)
Menu/Settings shows GPS with a yellow tick. Selecting it turns it into a green tick. GPS Settings is automatically set to "Managed by Windows"
On the map's top right is a little blue box which is flashing "Seeking GPS satellites (0)..."

I've not gone outside to see if the phone will finally reach a satellite; may check that out sometime tomorrow.

WaltA
07-20-2010, 07:15 AM
On the map's top right is a little blue box which is flashing "Seeking GPS satellites (0)..."

I've not gone outside to see if the phone will finally reach a satellite; may check that out sometime tomorrow.

Well, I hope it is just the normal, very long, delays in acquiring a satellite lock for the first time, as any GPS experiences. Please let us know how this turns out.

My Touch Pro can get receive the GPS satellites even when I am home, indoors (that's better than even my Garmin). Though, this is after it has done its first lock.

Frank S
07-20-2010, 07:54 AM
This looks like a Bing issue. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsmobilehelp/threads The forum at Windows Phone Help has several threads about the new Bing update not working properly in one way or another. Hopefully, it's ONLY a Bing issue...Yes, I also was promted to upgrade via Marketplace. I did. And I also encountered numerous Bing bugs. So I promptly uninstalled and reinstalled the previous Bing (still available from m.mobile.bing.com). Back to good operation now.

-Frank

MountainBikerMark
07-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Ophone :cell:: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

ditto but I still had my old .cab on my sd card
google maps has worked fine but Bing seems a bit more accurate in locating me,especially indoors

vprasad
07-20-2010, 10:39 PM
GPS:
You can breathe a sigh of relief :-)
Settings/Personal/Phone/CDMA Services/GPS - Get Settings/Location On --
Went back to Google Maps and after about 30 seconds, "Seeking GPS satellites (0)..." changed to "GPS active (4)"

Magically, the updated Bing for Verizon's Privacy Policy now actually loads. Pressed Accept. Validating Authorization Status flashed by and then Permission to Locate came up after accepting the ToS. Pressed Done to accept the default access time (24x7). Pressed Save at the Privacy Summary. Unless Bing uses triangulation as a fallback as well, I think the GPS is working in there too.

WaltA
07-21-2010, 07:51 AM
GPS:
You can breathe a sigh of relief :-)
Settings/Personal/Phone/CDMA Services/GPS - Get Settings/Location On --
Went back to Google Maps and after about 30 seconds, "Seeking GPS satellites (0)..." changed to "GPS active (4)"

Wow, thanks. My plan to get a Fathom when my NE2 becomes available next week, is back 'on'. :2thumbs:

norif
07-27-2010, 03:49 PM
I got my Fathom last Friday. Didn't get much playing around time until yesterday. There's a lot I like and some things that will take some getting used to. Got to compare cameras with the Dare a little :-) I'll do more of that later (the Fathom compares quite favorably). I've had a few 2 minute conversations, one 7 minute and a 40 minute conversation. Some gps/Bing doings (BTW, locate me works reeeeallly well). Some bluetoothing of files and contacts. A little internet browsing. One and a half songs on media player. A bit of this and that, nothing extensive. Just testing and checking things out.

Right now, I'm having (what I consider)a serious battery life issue. At first I figured, new battery, break-in, condition, whatever. But it's really really bad. I charged the battery to full yesterday morning. By evening it was around 40%. Charged it to full, 100%. Eight hours later when I got up, it was 81%. With only the phone radio on. No tasks running. Gps on 911 only. WiFi and bluetooth off. After my 40 minute conversation today, the battery was 39%. It was only ~11:00. So now, it's on the charger again.

FYI, the Dare had been my main phone for 2 years. It needed charged once a week. My Samsung i760 is a learning tool and backup phone, so a charging pattern never developed.

Is this normal? Maybe it is. Reviewers of the Fathom seem to fall into 2 categories: people who have used smartphones a lot (they give the impression that the battery life is quite good-one to two days before recharge, depending on usage) , and people who haven't (this battery really sucks!!).

So, does anyone have any tricks or tips or advice or whatever? Besides the obvious turn off whatever radios and tasks and such that aren't being used, keep the screen a bit dim, that sort of thing. Charge completely or a little? Discharge completely or a little?

If anyone has questions about specifics on the Fathom, I'll be happy to answer, if it's about something that I know something about. I did want to ask about this battery issue, though, since it affects everything I'll be doing.

WaltA
07-27-2010, 04:54 PM
My HTC Touch Pro had really horrible battery life for the first week (standby lasted for only about 6 hours... not long enough to even cover work). However, after that week, it started to substantially improve. I am hoping for the same with the Fathom.

norif
07-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the info, WaltA. That's encouraging! :-)

vprasad
07-28-2010, 02:23 AM
Battery life seems to have gradually improved since I first started using the device.

Unfortunately, the forgetting the WPA keys periodically is still irksome-- sometimes a power off/on fixes it, other times not-- hardware or software defect?

Also, noticed that the Favorites syncing with Internet Explorer on my Windows 7 system sometimes loses shortcuts-- not sure what's causing it, although it is odd that making changes to the Mobile Favorites on the desktop browser does require granting admin permissions (very weird) for every little change.

WaltA
07-29-2010, 08:18 AM
I just hit upon a total surprise.

It seems that most (if not all) apps can't make use of the accelerometer/motion sensor in the Fathom! :doh:

Apparently, apps which are designed to use an accelerometer, are designed to use exclusively the HTC "htcsensorsdk.dll" interface. It is apparently propriety to just HTC devices, and LG offers nothing that's compatible. :crying:

Has anyone here stumbled upon a fix for this? I have searched, and some really smart people have wrote a "htcsensorsdk.dll" equivalent for the Omnia. I am hoping for something similar for our Fathoms.

Stupid me. I had thought that such sensor access would be thru some sort of standard WinMobile interface. :disappoin

MountainBikerMark
07-29-2010, 10:03 AM

i cant for the life of me figure out why LG keeps shooting themselves in the foot by dumbing down their products. for years verizon got blamed for such as you wrote Walt but LG does it on all their phones,regardless of carrier starting with eliminating individual text ringers.

WaltA
07-29-2010, 03:12 PM
This looks like a Bing issue. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsmobilehelp/threads The forum at Windows Phone Help has several threads about the new Bing update not working properly in one way or another. Hopefully, it's ONLY a Bing issue...

Which Bing update, I wonder.

The first time I started up Bing on my Fathom, it told me had to update, and proceeded to allow me to download an update .cab from the Verizon website. I cancelled out of that. Instead, I installed an update I had already downloaded directly from Microsoft.

I am not having any problems with the update directly from Microsoft.

BTW, the update from Microsoft has a file name of simply Bing.cab. The one from Verizon has a file name of BingforVZW.cab.

dom_NY
07-29-2010, 04:29 PM
I bought this phone two weeks ago. My wife also chose to update her Dare to the Fathom as well (extra $29 data plan unfortunately). I can confirm from some of the above comments that GPS does work on it. I had the first gen Omnia and VZ locked out GPS until an official ROM update came out last summer--even then it was too slow to lock with satellites.

Suggestion for Bing app users: The first time I opened that app it wanted to update. I downloaded the update and noticed that it was Bing for VZW. When you look up driving directions, map portion there are two buttons, one to map and another to Navigate with VZ Navigator (must be a sly way to make money off of ppl subscribing to an unnecessary service). However, I also download the vanilla Bing ap directly from m.microsoft.com. The second Bing instance only had a Navigate function with turn by turn NOT linked to VZ Nav. I promptly uninstalled Bing for VZW through manage applications and now only have the free Bing app with free navigation functions.

FYI if you make a folder called My Ringtones on an SD card, the phone will also look in that directory for custom ringtones. If you make a folder called PICTURES on the SD card (all caps), then pictures stored there will also appear when swiping on the default today screen pictures link.

This is the second WinMo device I have owned an generally pleased. It gets a little warm while charging, make sure that the turn off backlighting and power are set when on external power. Also there is a slight echo when talking on the phone that is corrected by lowering the volume and talking at a lower.

Dom

norif
07-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Which Bing update, I wonder.

The first time I started up Bing on my Fathom, it told me had to update, and proceeded to allow me to download an update .cab from the Verizon website. I cancelled out of that. Instead, I installed an update I had already downloaded directly from Microsoft.

I am not having any problems with the update directly from Microsoft.

BTW, the update from Microsoft has a file name of simply Bing.cab. The one from Verizon has a file name of BingforVZW.cab.

Suggestion for Bing app users: The first time I opened that app it wanted to update. I downloaded the update and noticed that it was Bing for VZW. When you look up driving directions, map portion there are two buttons, one to map and another to Navigate with VZ Navigator (must be a sly way to make money off of ppl subscribing to an unnecessary service). However, I also download the vanilla Bing ap directly from m.microsoft.com. The second Bing instance only had a Navigate function with turn by turn NOT linked to VZ Nav. I promptly uninstalled Bing for VZW through manage applications and now only have the free Bing app with free navigation functions.

Yeah. I've both versions installed now. It prompted for the VZW version first, and I installed the generic Bing afterwards. Trying out both. It seems the generic has more options??? And it seems the VZW Bing gets my location quicker???

If you make a folder called PICTURES on the SD card (all caps), then pictures stored there will also appear when swiping on the default today screen pictures link.

Oh, thanks for that info :)

dom_NY
07-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Does anyone know how to change the directory where pictures get stored? The camara gives the option of storing on device or on SD card. However I want to store them on SD card in a specific folder called PICTURES. I have tried editing the registry HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Pictures\Camera\USER\Defau ltDir and HKLM\System\Pictures\Camera\OEM\PictureLocation

However the camera always defaults to Storage Card\My Pictures when external storage is selected.

WaltA
07-29-2010, 09:59 PM
... and now only have the free Bing app with free navigation functions.

I guess I did find a small problem with the Microsoft distributed ver of Bing.

While the Nav function appears to somewhat work, I can't get the voice guidance to work. I mean, there is no sound.

Is the voice guidance working for you?

Frank S
07-30-2010, 10:40 AM
I guess I did find a small problem with the Microsoft distributed ver of Bing.

While the Nav function appears to somewhat work, I can't get the voice guidance to work. I mean, there is no sound.

Is the voice guidance working for you?

Yes, mine is working fine. Make sure to download it on your phone from m.bing.com.

-Frank

vprasad
07-31-2010, 01:13 PM
Ok, so it's taken me three weeks to realize that the Start menu honeycomb icons can be moved around by tapping to backlight an icon and then drop it where I want it (still gotta rtfm). Anybody know how to manage the Outlook accounts?

When I start up Email, it defaults to "Outlook E-mail" which has nothing in it and I can't seem to find any ways to configure it to pull down mail.

So, I created another account to a pop3 server which works fine.

I want to either 1) default to the Inbox of the account that works fine or 2) delete "Outlook E-mail"

vprasad
07-31-2010, 01:15 PM

i cant for the life of me figure out why LG keeps shooting themselves in the foot by dumbing down their products. for years verizon got blamed for such as you wrote Walt but LG does it on all their phones,regardless of carrier starting with eliminating individual text ringers.

Maybe they're afraid of success? Or they're being paid handsomely to stay second-tier?

WaltA
08-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Ok, so it's taken me three weeks to realize that the Start menu honeycomb icons can be moved around by tapping to backlight an icon and then drop it where I want it (still gotta rtfm).

Yea, that one of the "what's new" with Win Mobile 6.5.3.

Anybody know how to manage the Outlook accounts?

When I start up Email, it defaults to "Outlook E-mail" which has nothing in it and I can't seem to find any ways to configure it to pull down mail.

So, I created another account to a pop3 server which works fine.

I want to either 1) default to the Inbox of the account that works fine or 2) delete "Outlook E-mail"

When I start up E-mail, if there is a pending new email waiting, it goes straight into that account. If there is no pending email waiting, I get an account list from which I need to select an account. For me, the list is, first, my one pop account, second my one imap account, and third an option for "Setup Email".

There is not even a selection for Outlook. Possibly, either because I never set up one, or because I have never active sync'ed with a PC that has Outlook.

WaltA
08-01-2010, 08:44 AM
On my Fathom, even though I have the general volume set at its maximum, I find sounds like ringtone, alerts, and alarms rather faint or low. So low that I would really need to be in an empty, quite, room to really hear a ringtone.

If I dare to turn the general volume down to, say, 50%, the sounds become nearly undetectable.

Does anyone else have this on their Fathom?

Let me just add that in sharp contrast, I find the speaker phone volume to be too loud. I have mine set to its lowest possible volume setting, and I found that just acceptable.

I guess, ideally, I would like to have all sounds "normal" when at the 50% setting so that there is flexibility to go both up and down when needed.

What do you all think? :befuddled

WaltA
08-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Battery life seems to have gradually improved since I first started using the device.

Unfortunately, the forgetting the WPA keys periodically is still irksome-- sometimes a power off/on fixes it, other times not-- hardware or software defect?

Just to provide a little bit of feedback on my own experiences to date.

My battery life is pretty reasonable. With a lot of talk time (around 150 minutes), I can still make it thru a day, which is around 18 hours. Without a lot of talk time, I can make it thru two days, which is around 40 hours. I do have WiFi off, but Bluetooth is on continuously.

I haven't lost any of my WPA keys yet. For example, my Fathom will still automatically connect into my home's WiFi soon after I power on its WiFi.

smillerx
08-05-2010, 02:53 PM
I am considering the LG Fathom VS750 as a NI2 replacement for my Samsung Omnia. Other than GPS, the main feature I need to know about is "Internet Connection Sharing". Currently, for ICS I rely heavily on the free "IntShrUI" application which lets me use my Omnia as a modem for my laptop while I'm on the road. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent way to do this with a Fathom????

dom_NY
08-05-2010, 03:54 PM
I replaced my Omnia with the Fathom. I beleive there is a VZ Access or something like that, that you have to install in order to tether your phone and computer.

Never used it so don't know how well it works.

smillerx
08-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Even though I already have a data plan through Verizon, they would charge through the nose for the tethering priviledge. I am not interested in paying another flat rate fee for a service I use occasionally on the road, and a usage fee to boot. There has to be a way around the VZW method. There was for the Omnia. Does anybody know?

vprasad
08-05-2010, 09:19 PM
There is an update available to go from vs750zv4 to vs750zv5 from the LG website either here:
http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/vwz-phone-software-update.jsp as "LGMobileUpdate.exe" at 250KB
or here:
http://www.lg.com/us/support/mc-support/mobile-phone-support.jsp as "B2CAppSetup.exe" at 246KB

I chose to use the LGMobileUpdate.exe

Windows 7 x64

Before:
START/SETTINGS/ABOUT
CE OS 5.2.23103 (build 23103.5.3.3)

START/SETTINGS/SYSTEM/SYSTEM INFORMATION
Windows Mobile 6.5 5.2.23103
Apr 7, 2010
HW Rev 1.0
SW Version VS750ZV4
PRL 51920
ERI 5

MESSAGING
ArcSoft Powermobia Message 5.5.11.34

Installed the LG Mobile Update.exe which installed a bazillion LG USB drivers

Ran the LG Mobile Support Tool and chose to update but it said the phone was already at the latest version. Closed it out.

Ran LG Mobile Support Tool again and chose to update. It saw the phone and the Update button was now reddish. Chose to Update. It tried to install even more drivers-- notably:

LGE CDMA Composite USB Device (Ready to Use)
LGE CDMA USB Modem (Failed)
LGE CDMA USB Serial Port (COM10) (Ready to Use)

Finally the update proceeded

After:
START/SETTINGS/ABOUT
CE OS 5.2.23121 (build 23121.5.3.6)

START/SETTINGS/SYSTEM/SYSTEM INFORMATION
Windows Mobile 6.5 5.2.23121
Jul-5-2010
HW Rev 1.0
SW Version VS750ZV5
PRL 51920
ERI 5

MESSAGING
ArcSoft PowerMobia Message 5.5.11.50

Still exploring to see what else is different; didn't really keep track of any other version numbers to compare, so if anyone else is going to upgrade, try to jot down what your current version apps are.

vprasad
08-05-2010, 09:23 PM
The General tab of the PowerMobia Message does have an option for Threaded Inbox (YAY!) we'll see how it looks when I accumulate enough messages (too bad WinMo does not save SMS when syncing)... hopefully they fixed the friggin PowerMobia send from contacts bug where it was stuffing birthdates into the To: field

WaltA
08-06-2010, 07:01 AM
There is an update available to go from vs750zv4 to vs750zv5 from the LG website either here:
http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/vwz-phone-software-update.jsp as "LGMobileUpdate.exe" at 250KB

It is interesting that the website lists "VS750 - Veri ", instead of Fathom. :befuddled

WaltA
08-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Still exploring to see what else is different; didn't really keep track of any other version numbers to compare, so if anyone else is going to upgrade, try to jot down what your current version apps are.

Is this simply an update, or is it a complete "cold boot" new OS install? In particular, do you loose all your apps and data (like contacts) after applying this?

vprasad
08-06-2010, 09:02 AM
It seemed to be a complete install-- all data was lost. I managed to restore by performing the MS ActiveSync to my PC.

WaltA
08-07-2010, 06:43 PM

From a different website, the original V4 has Office Mobile 2007 and there is a possibility that the new V5 has, instead, Office Mobile 2010. It would be good to get that confirmed.

vprasad
08-07-2010, 11:12 PM
vs750zv5 has Microsoft Office Mobile 2010 14.0000.23121
Excel
OneNote
PowerPoint
SharePoint WorkSpace
Word

dom_NY
08-10-2010, 04:09 PM
http://www.lg.com/us/support/mc-supp...ne-support.jsp as "B2CAppSetup.exe" at 246KB

I used that link. The other link in the above post installed several USB drivers and then did not recognize that the phone was even connected.

It is a full install/hard reset. Back up your stuff to an SD card or Microsoft MyPhone before attempting.

smillerx
08-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I am considering the LG Fathom VS750 as a NI2 replacement for my Samsung Omnia i910. Other than GPS, the main feature I need to know about is "Internet Connection Sharing". Currently, for ICS I rely heavily on the free "IntShrUI" application* which lets me use my Omnia as a modem for my laptop while I'm on the road. Does anyone know if this application will work on a Fathom?

* The application is installed using the "ICSInstall.cab" which may be downloaded here:
http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach...st&id=26622

WaltA
08-11-2010, 01:18 PM
I don't know about IntShrUI, but WMWiFiRouter works just fine, and no need to install ICS on the Fathom (I think it is already there).

The Fathom actually comes with three USB port settings. The typical Mass Storage and ActiveSync, plus they added an actual modem choice. However, I haven't tried it to see if works w/o the need for an extra app (IntShrUI or WMWiFiRouter).

smillerx
08-11-2010, 04:30 PM
That's great! I'm really glad to know that WMWiFiRouter will work, since their website doesn't list the LG Fathom as one of the compatible devices. I'm ready to jump in.

vprasad
08-13-2010, 10:39 PM
I haven't lost any of my WPA keys yet. For example, my Fathom will still automatically connect into my home's WiFi soon after I power on its WiFi.

At first I was suspecting maybe my 802.11n draft router or its alternative firmware or wpa2 encryption... but then I found it periodically forgets my workplace's 802.11g WEP key as well.

Anybody else experiencing this at all? Any suggestions on how to handle this? I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software defect.

vprasad
08-13-2010, 10:45 PM
At first I was suspecting maybe my 802.11n draft router or its alternative firmware or wpa2 encryption... but then I found it periodically forgets my workplace's 802.11g WEP key as well.

Anybody else experiencing this at all? Any suggestions on how to handle this? I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software defect.

And yes, this is even after my upgrade to vs750zv5

WaltA
08-14-2010, 07:38 AM

I can only add that its been two weeks, and my Fathom continues to connect to my WEP WiFi network without any problem.

WaltA
08-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Has anyone come across a desktop stand for the Fathom?

Here is a pic of the one LG makes for the Ally, just in case anyone is wondering that I mean:

https://scache.vzw.com/images_b2c/accessories/lg/lg_ally_multi_media_dsk_chrgr.png

MountainBikerMark
08-22-2010, 02:07 PM

I know its not a Fathom but I found if I soft reset my Omnia at least every other day my wifi does not forget the key and/or not want to connect to my wifi.
Ive also found when wifing on free non secure or secure places like Mcburgers, hotel room we stayed in ,etc. when I get home its trouble free IF I delete the settings from the freebies and very troublesome if I don't .
hope that helps. a friend of mine said its a win mob thing,regardless of model and that his win mob phones did the same thing.

WaltA
08-22-2010, 02:24 PM
You got me thinking. By any chance, are the network names the same? I mean, there are lot of routers out there that still have their default names of like "NETGEAR" or "linksys". Plus, I can envision that all McD's in an area have the same network names too. I can guess troubles night happen if during one's travels, you run into like-named networks, but with different or even no keys. The new network's settings would replace the old network's.

Just thinking out loud.

MountainBikerMark
08-22-2010, 07:36 PM

mcds uses ATT, Dairy Queen uses their own,Martins super market uses Giant, Days Inn uses their own ,Burger King uses their own, Starbucks uses ATT, here at least,which I found ironic since a Tmob store is inside it, BooksaMillion uses their own,never tried PaneraBread here but thats the extent of my non home useage so far.
my phone keeps trying to save my neighbors settings, occasionally slowing down my home connection times to connect.

vprasad
08-26-2010, 11:38 AM
The SSIDs in question are vastly different names and so are the keys, so it's not a question of duplication.

I contacted LGE and they provided me a Return/Repair Authorization number. I've sent it in and tracking shows as delivered to LGE, so now I'm trying to find out how long before they fix and send it back.

wildwing94
09-14-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm thinking about "upgrading" to this phone from the HTC Ozone, which is by far the worst smartphone I've ever used. Can anyone tell me if the Fathom can run Pandora? Thanks in advance!

vprasad
09-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Yes, Pandora "works", if by "works" you mean it actually plays music. The display looks screwy on the Fathom, with a mostly blank screen and very very very tiny text and buttons and the album info partly off-screen. There is a WVGA fix for some other phones (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-touch-pro-2/85786-pandora-touch-pro2.html), but I've not tried it on the Fathom yet.

DP102288
09-14-2010, 08:12 PM
I have procured a Fathom, and I am very impressed. The Windows Mobile 6.5.3 is nice, different, but still nice. And I love the 1GHz processor. I am using the Ninja Duck Opera Mobile with Flash, and youtube works like a desktop pc. Makes me wish my TP2 had one, and I want an HD2 even more now.

After using the Fathom, 2 things came to my mind. I need to find some time to try some different ROMs on my TP2s, and though the Fathom's screen is nice, I did see the size difference compared to my TP2. I know it isn't much of a difference, but it stuck out to me for some reason.

But a great Windows Mobile phone if you can't use an HD2.

Sharp802
09-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Out of interest for those that bought the Fathom brand new from Verizon/Bestbuy or other store.

When you unpacked the phone and pealed the plastic off the sides, buttons and back did you find a piece of plastic about the size and feel of a screen protector on the screen? It has notches for the proximity sensor and light sensor on the top of the phone.

Is this a piece of plastic to protect the screen from damage while shipping? or is it a screen protector that LG included with the phone pre installed? (I know LG included a screen protector with the Viewty but you had to install it yourself) Or is this extra screen protection since it comes with a stylus?

Will removing it damage the phone or cause it not to work right? I just wonder about this because it looks like thanks to the cutouts for the sensors that it could come loose if the phone hangs out in your pocket.

Anybody remove theirs?

Thanks

WaltA
09-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Can anyone tell me if the Fathom can run Pandora? !

While I don't use Pandora, or any streaming video/music service (would be a technical violation of the $30 email & web browse only data plan), I gave it a quick try.

Using the default PIE browser, when I go to pandora.com, instead of a webpage, I get an offer to download and install a pardora.cab file.

Using the Opera 10 browser, when I go to pandora.com, I get a pretty empty webpage. Basically just the edges. I believe that the center of their webpage is Flash, and Opera 10 doesn't support Flash.

WaltA
09-15-2010, 07:29 AM
When you unpacked the phone and pealed the plastic off the sides, buttons and back did you find a piece of plastic about the size and feel of a screen protector on the screen? It has notches for the proximity sensor and light sensor on the top of the phone.

Yes, it is the free, included, pre-installed, screen protector.

Anybody remove theirs?

I didn't. If I did, I would have to go out and buy a replacement to put back on.

vprasad
09-15-2010, 09:00 PM
While I don't use Pandora, or any streaming video/music service (would be a technical violation of the $30 email & web browse only data plan), I gave it a quick try.

It is possible to use Pandora without having to use the email & web browse only data plan. The phone comes with WiFi.

DaddyLongLegs
09-24-2010, 06:42 AM
Coming from someone who had a Touch Pro2, I have to say I love the insane speed of the LG Fathom. I can't believe what a difference the 1ghz processor makes. Even opening the Windows folder in File Explorer is faster!

Problem is the main reason I wanted a faster processor, Igo8, seems to be a waste! Igo8 is an awesome GPS navigation program that works on Windows-based PDAs and PNAs. It worked fine on my Touch Pro2. Yet for the life of me, Igo8 cannot find the COM port in which the Fathom uses the GPS. Did Verizon lock it out or something?

One other thing...I can't seem to use any tethering program other than PDANet. The popular Wi-Fi router program that gets cooked into a lot of ROMs doesn't work at all. It just keeps trying to connect to Verizon. I tried WMWiFiRouter and it looks like it's working fine except my laptop never connects to it.

Again, I am not a newbie in any sense of the term, so if anyone can help me I'd appreciate it. If I don't get at least one of these two problems fixed, in the return box this goes (and I'd hate to do that because I simply love the phone otherwise).

WaltA
09-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Problem is the main reason I wanted a faster processor, Igo8, seems to be a waste! Igo8 is an awesome GPS navigation program that works on Windows-based PDAs and PNAs. It worked fine on my Touch Pro2. Yet for the life of me, Igo8 cannot find the COM port in which the Fathom uses the GPS. Did Verizon lock it out or something?

No, Verizon didn't lock it out. The Fathom works just fine with Google Maps and Bing.

Possibly, you need to access the GPS data thru the standard Windows interface, instead of attempting to bypass the interface and connecting directly to the hardware (COM port?).

One other thing...I can't seem to use any tethering program other than PDANet. The popular Wi-Fi router program that gets cooked into a lot of ROMs doesn't work at all. It just keeps trying to connect to Verizon. I tried WMWiFiRouter and it looks like it's working fine except my laptop never connects to it.

I use WMWiFIRouter with my laptop, and it connects just fine. You do have the LG Drivers installed on your laptop, don't you? If not, try...
LGUSBModemDriver_WHQL_Eng_Ver_4.9.7_All_Win7 (http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/USBSW/CDMA/EG/LGUSBModemDriver_WHQL_Eng_Ver_4.9.7_All_Win7_20100 222.zip)

DaddyLongLegs
09-24-2010, 08:19 AM
No, Verizon didn't lock it out. The Fathom works just fine with Google Maps and Bing.

Possibly, you need to access the GPS data thru the standard Windows interface, instead of attempting to bypass the interface and connecting directly to the hardware (COM port?).

By GPS data do you mean the phone does not have a dedicated GPS receiver and relies on data? My TouchPro 2 worked fine with Igo8 navigation software even when the phone wasn't activated.

Please tell me there is some way to do this with this phone. Igo8 is my LIFE. And a major reason I'm still using Windows Mobile phones.

I use WMWiFIRouter with my laptop, and it connects just fine. You do have the LG Drivers installed on your laptop, don't you? If not, try...
LGUSBModemDriver_WHQL_Eng_Ver_4.9.7_All_Win7 (http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/USBSW/CDMA/EG/LGUSBModemDriver_WHQL_Eng_Ver_4.9.7_All_Win7_20100 222.zip)

Yes I do have the drivers installed but that leads me to believe you are using WMWiFiRouter in USB mode. I wanted to use it in WiFi mode.

WaltA
09-24-2010, 08:39 AM
By GPS data do you mean the phone does not have a dedicated GPS receiver and relies on data? My TouchPro 2 worked fine with Igo8 navigation software even when the phone wasn't activated.

Please tell me there is some way to do this with this phone. Igo8 is my LIFE. And a major reason I'm still using Windows Mobile phones.

The phone has a dedicated GPS receiver. However, the option to enable or disable the GPS receiver is located in the Phone set of setup options (its like that in all CDMA phones including on your old TP2).

All I am attempting to explain, is that you might need to access the GPS receiver using the standard Win Mobile software interface. By using that, you don't need to know anything about the GPS hardware including knowing its COM port (if it even uses a COM port).

As I mentioned, Google Maps and Bing Navigation work just fine, but I have both of those set to use the Win Mobile software interface to the GPS hardware.

If your version of Igo8 doesn't have a way to select using the Win Mobile software interface instead of a COM port, you might need to get an update to Igo8. Attempting to directly use a COM port for GPS, is pretty obsolete nowadays.

Yes I do have the drivers installed but that leads me to believe you are using WMWiFiRouter in USB mode. I wanted to use it in WiFi mode.

Yea, you are correct. I always use the USB connection when tethering. I found long ago, that using WiFi quickly kills the battery (you have both cell radio and the WiFi radio running continuously). So, if I have to end up using the USB for power, I might was well use USB for data too.

WaltA
09-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Let me ask if you tried Bing Navigation? It is pretty good, offers voice prompts, and is FREE.

Just make sure that you download the generic version of Bing. The Verizon version of Bing removes Bing's own Nav function, and replaces it with a link to Verizon's own VZNav software.

DaddyLongLegs
09-24-2010, 09:09 AM
The phone has a dedicated GPS receiver. However, the option to enable or disable the GPS receiver is located in the Phone set of setup options (its like that in all CDMA phones including on your old TP2).

All I am attempting to explain, is that you might need to access the GPS receiver using the standard Win Mobile software interface. By using that, you don't need to know anything about the GPS hardware including knowing its COM port (if it even uses a COM port).

As I mentioned, Google Maps and Bing Navigation work just fine, but I have both of those set to use the Win Mobile software interface to the GPS hardware.

If you somehow help me to get iGO8 working on this phone, I'll send you a gift or something. Not joking. This is how bad I want it to work.

The Touch Pro2 did in fact use a COM port (COM port 4 if I recall correctly). Igo8 has an "automatic detection" of the GPS receiver. Worked fine on my Touch Pro2. In fact, the Fathom does the same thing my TP2 did. When scanning for the GPS port, some Bluetooth thing comes up (probably because Bluetooth uses a COM port). Maybe someone out there knows which COM port the Fathom uses for the GPS? (PS: I did try Bing, it's great, but I can get that on any phone. The reason I still use Windows Mobile is it runs iGO8).

WaltA
09-24-2010, 10:09 AM
The Touch Pro2 did in fact use a COM port (COM port 4 if I recall correctly). Igo8 has an "automatic detection" of the GPS receiver. Worked fine on my Touch Pro2. In fact, the Fathom does the same thing my TP2 did. When scanning for the GPS port, some Bluetooth thing comes up (probably because Bluetooth uses a COM port). Maybe someone out there knows which COM port the Fathom uses for the GPS? (PS: I did try Bing, it's great, but I can get that on any phone. The reason I still use Windows Mobile is it runs iGO8).

Using a COM port, be it real or virtual, is the old way of connecting GPS hardware. I guess it maintained compatibility with older, external, GPS hardware which had to connect using a real COM port.

From the playing around I did when I first got my Fathom, I would say that I am like 80% sure that the Fathom does not use a COM port to physically connect to its GPS hardware but instead uses some more direct type of connection (to the Snapdragon's I/O bus?). By this I mean, like you, I could not find a COM port setting that actually worked. Instead, I had to select the Win Mobile interface/driver as the means to connect to the GPS hardware.

If iGO8 does not offer such an option, again, I would go back to the authors of iGO8 to see if they now offer an update.

DaddyLongLegs
09-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Bahahhaha, it took me 3 days of non-stop research but I figured it out:

Add this to sys.txt:

[device]
type="SGH-i900"

It now works with the Fathom! Hilarious but it works :D

DaddyLongLegs
09-26-2010, 12:15 PM
By the way, does anyone know where I can get spare styluses for this phone? I searched all over eBay and the internet in general but no one seems to sell OEM styluses for this phone. If I lose this one I'm screwed!

WaltA
09-27-2010, 06:52 AM
By the way, does anyone know where I can get spare styluses for this phone?

Someone asked this question over on the LG run user forums (http://www.lgforum.com/forum/boards/accessories-and-bluetooth/accessories/topics/lg-fathom-replacement-stylus), and LG mentioned they can be ordered as a replacement part. I asked how much, as a follow up question, but that was never answered.

DaddyLongLegs
09-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Someone asked this question over on the LG run user forums (http://www.lgforum.com/forum/boards/accessories-and-bluetooth/accessories/topics/lg-fathom-replacement-stylus), and LG mentioned they can be ordered as a replacement part. I asked how much, as a follow up question, but that was never answered.

Thanks! I am gonna order like 5 of these :) Just in case they're impossible to get in the future...

I feel like you're the only other person on the internet with this phone. I'm really surprised it's not more popular.

By the way, I think this thing might have an FM receiver. There's a lot of FM radio related files in the Windows folder, and a lot of references to FM Radio in the registry.

WaltA
09-27-2010, 11:52 AM
I feel like you're the only other person on the internet with this phone. I'm really surprised it's not more popular.

I agree. :buddies:

With Microsoft abandoning Win Mobile, IMHO, the Fathom is Win Mobile's last "hurrah" at Verizon. A good send off... with the 1G Snapdragon and such.

I have failed, though, at every attempt I had to get 'net based support. I failed to find/get a driver for the motion sensor (accelerometer), and I failed to find a Quick GPS app that worked.

By the way, I think this thing might have an FM receiver. There's a lot of FM radio related files in the Windows folder, and a lot of references to FM Radio in the registry.

The original pre-release (ie, rumor based) spec had the Fathom with an FM radio.

DaddyLongLegs
09-28-2010, 10:39 AM
I have failed, though, at every attempt I had to get 'net based support. I failed to find/get a driver for the motion sensor (accelerometer), and I failed to find a Quick GPS app that worked.

What did you need the accelerometer for? Teeter? I personally can't stand the accelerometer and disable it. And why did you need QuickGPS? Once it catches that first signal with Google maps, it's very quick there after. Plus when I use Igo8 (a Windows Mobile program that does not rely on any data at all) I get my GPS in like 5 seconds.

The original pre-release (ie, rumor based) spec had the Fathom with an FM radio.

Maybe it's still in there!

It looks like it's just me and you, pal. I guess we'll have to update one another if any cool tricks or hacks come out for this phone. By the way, replacement styuluses were $4.75 from LG (includes shipping).

WaltA
09-28-2010, 11:14 AM
What did you need the accelerometer for? Teeter? I personally can't stand the accelerometer and disable it.

Mostly games like Need For Speed. You can steer your car by tilting the phone.

And there are utilies that use the accelerometer for actions. One uses it to rotate the screen (portrait vs landscape) and does it much better than LG's built-in function. Another allows you to shake the phone to take a pic of the current screen.

And why did you need QuickGPS? Once it catches that first signal with Google maps, it's very quick there after. Plus when I use Igo8 (a Windows Mobile program that does not rely on any data at all) I get my GPS in like 5 seconds.

About once a week, any GPS device needs to download a new satellite location table. Going that from a satellite can take 5 minutes or more. However, if the GPS device has an internet connection, like our phones do, it can download the satellite location table that way, and it can do it even when you aren't using GPS (basically being prepared for later).

QuickGPS is the name of one such utility, I think HTC's, which does this download automatically once a week from the internet.

LG doesn't have such an utility, and I have been unsuccessful in finding a generic Win Mobile version that works on our phones.

BTW, if you get a lock in just 5 seconds, that means you have an up-to-date satellite location table. Wait until it gets stale, and suddenly, you'll have the 5 minute lag too while it updates.

This is all independent of any map data downloads, which with Igo8, you don't do.

DaddyLongLegs
09-28-2010, 04:25 PM
About once a week, any GPS device needs to download a new satellite location table. Going that from a satellite can take 5 minutes or more. However, if the GPS device has an internet connection, like our phones do, it can download the satellite location table that way, and it can do it even when you aren't using GPS (basically being prepared for later).

QuickGPS is the name of one such utility, I think HTC's, which does this download automatically once a week from the internet.

LG doesn't have such an utility, and I have been unsuccessful in finding a generic Win Mobile version that works on our phones.

BTW, if you get a lock in just 5 seconds, that means you have an up-to-date satellite location table. Wait until it gets stale, and suddenly, you'll have the 5 minute lag too while it updates.

This is all independent of any map data downloads, which with Igo8, you don't do.

I can get the QuickGPS exe file off my old HTC Touch Pro2 for you if you think that will work?

WaltA
09-29-2010, 01:11 PM
I can get the QuickGPS exe file off my old HTC Touch Pro2 for you if you think that will work?

I have a stand-alone install (.cab) for HTC's QuickGPS. While it came installed on the TP2, we had to add it manually on the older TP.

I also have the stand-alone install for a similar utility, GPS_XTRA, that worked OK on the Omina.

None of these worked on the Fathom. IMHO, the problem lies on where the satellite location file is kept, and these non-LG utilities use a different file location than LG.

DaddyLongLegs
09-30-2010, 06:47 AM
I have a stand-alone install (.cab) for HTC's QuickGPS. While it came installed on the TP2, we had to add it manually on the older TP.

I also have the stand-alone install for a similar utility, GPS_XTRA, that worked OK on the Omina.

None of these worked on the Fathom. IMHO, the problem lies on where the satellite location file is kept, and these non-LG utilities use a different file location than LG.

Sorry I couldn't be of help then. I did notice the GPS on the Fathom is ultra weak/sensitive. If I place it on the passenger's seat of my car I lose the GPS signal. It has to be on my dashboard. My TP2 and regular GPS don't do that. I can have it in my glove compartment and it would still work!

Did you ever figure out how to get rid of SMS sent notifications? I'm not talking about the popup that says "SMS Sent". I got rid of that. But there's still a notification that comes up (replacing the left soft key until I view it) every time I send a text. Huge annoyance!

DaddyLongLegs
10-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Also, does your phone ever randomly reboot on you?

WaltA
10-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Also, does your phone ever randomly reboot on you?

Mine never has.

My old TP used to (would find it sitting at the Enter PIN prompt), but on that, I traced it down to a "bad" utility that I had installed off the 'net.

DaddyLongLegs
10-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. Since you've been so helpful to me, I decided to help you out. I got QuickGPS working :D I will update you tomorrow with the files and what to do to get it to work (I am not at my home computer right now).

Sharp802
10-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I also have the LG Fathom and it has been great reading about your successes. My Fathom is in a bit of a different situation though. It was an unwanted upgrade a relative had so they gave it to me. It was my thought to unlock the phone since it was a CDMA/GSM phone with at least one AT&T 3G band. I tried to get it done via a online unlocker but none could get the code. I then had a friend who was on Verizon for years and had a good standing(i.e. paid her bills on time) put it on her account and ten minutes later it was unlocked and working on AT&T.

Things I noticed are the following:

1. Verizon Navigator works well and has to be working for free(I am on AT&T) Phone gets a quick enough lock and has turn by turn voice directions.

2. Phone works fast with both Edge and 3G speeds. The phone has the 1900mhz 3G band AT&T uses

3. Phone(at least my phone) seems to search go from showing the carrier to searching when in GSM/UMTS or UMTS modes. It works fine if you select GSM only mode (this phone has 3 modes in the GSM menu, UMTS, GSM/UMTS and GSM only which is pretty cool) So I think the issues here are that the phone is 3G 1900mhz only and that it does not seem to be switching to GSM on its own when 3G is not available. It could also be that at the time I tried it it was late at night and could have been an AT&T thing. GSM(and edge) is good enough for what I use it for(emails/weather etc)

4. Can not erase Verizon APN settings. To use with AT&T or T-Mobile you create another modem(Verizon or Windows speak for APN) under Work and then it works fine.

5. Battery life is somewhat good. I can get about 4 days out of it if I have manual email pushes and back light low(granted I am using this on GSM with AT&T and not Verizon)

6. WiFi is great and it picks up my router every time I come home and turn on my phone's wifi. I don't have the lost WEP key issues

7. the slide out keyboard is great, it feels good to type on(unlike the Moto Droid/Milestone one) Typing on the virtual keyboard is painful because of the type of screen used. That is the one thing I miss about the iPhone and android is I did not need a stylus to function. This screen feels a bit like a Garmin PND GPS unit

8. Slider has a bit of play in it when closed but I don't know if it is because I had to manhandle it to put the top part of the protective cover on the phone or it just loosened up during use. It is not annoying and it does not feel like it will come apart and if it does break down the line it is not like I don't have a backup phone :)

I just bought SPB Shell 3.5 for this phone from the market place. It was pricey at $29.99 but worth it as it makes this phone totally different with better speed and customization They offer a 15 day free trial for free over that the windows marketplace (click the icon on the phone) or at SPB's website

I am happy with it because the original out of box look was painful and a bit sluggish but by adding the shell 3.5 the phone is more responsive.

I am happy with this phone and I feel it is faster, more durable and longer lasting then the HTC Imagio I was using (the windows and back buttons stopped working)

WaltA
10-11-2010, 10:35 AM
I got QuickGPS working :D I will update you tomorrow with the files and what to do to get it to work (I am not at my home computer right now).

Just a gentle reminder.

dom_NY
10-12-2010, 07:33 AM
Having this unusual problem. Installed Windows Live, went the the setup etc. for my hotmail email. The program will send and receive ok, then within a few hours I get a 'Failed to sync' message when tapping send and receive. A soft reset usually works but then the problem reappears within a few hours or by the next day. Never had this problem on my Omnia.

Thanks

WaltA
11-09-2010, 01:59 PM
My Fathom had no problems automatically adjusting for the end of DST this past weekend. However, I seem to have a residual problem. I don't know if this is Fathom unique, or something all WM 6.5.x phones are experiencing.

I have a reoccurring meeting for 2:30pm with a reminder set for 15 minutes early (ie, at 2:15pm).

Now, the meeting itself is still correctly set for 2:30pm. However, the reminder is now happening at 1:15pm, not 2:15pm!!! :wow:

Is anyone else noticing this? Has anyone read anything, somewhere else, about this?

Redsoxcells
11-10-2010, 07:44 AM
I set the phone alarm for 6 AM Sunday morning right after DST. The phone displayed the correct time but the alarm went off at 5AM. Since then, the alarm goes off at the correct time. Haven't noticed any problems with meeting reminders.

Frank S
11-10-2010, 09:38 AM
My Fathom had no problems automatically adjusting for the end of DST this past weekend. However, I seem to have a residual problem. I don't know if this is Fathom unique, or something all WM 6.5.x phones are experiencing.

I have a reoccurring meeting for 2:30pm with a reminder set for 15 minutes early (ie, at 2:15pm).

Now, the meeting itself is still correctly set for 2:30pm. However, the reminder is now happening at 1:15pm, not 2:15pm!!! :wow:

Is anyone else noticing this? Has anyone read anything, somewhere else, about this?There is a known issue like you describe when you are syncing with MS Outlook 2007 or above (MS OL 2003 and prior is fine). MS has said they do not intend to fix it. Are you syncing with MS OL?

I guess they're just gonna let it fade away as WinMo/Pocket OL ages...

-Frank

vprasad
11-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Latest software upgrade is available -- vs750zv7-- no idea what the changelog is between it and zv5 or zv4. Those of us who were unable to go fro zv4 to zv5 still cannot seem to update to zv7. Per a post here, http://www.lgforum.com/forum/boards/carriers/verizon/topics/lg-update-tool-no-verizon?page=4 it sounds like Verizon may be working on some type of mechanism to help update Over The Air.

WaltA
12-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Latest software upgrade is available -- vs750zv7-- no idea what the changelog is between it and zv5 or zv4. Those of us who were unable to go fro zv4 to zv5 still cannot seem to update to zv7.

Thru some tedious trail and error, I have composed this URL to get the update off of LG.

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGVS750/AVRZDB/VS750ZV7_04/VS750ZV7_04.SV7_04.P58006.R5.cab

vprasad
12-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Thru some tedious trail and error, I have composed this URL to get the update off of LG.

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGVS750/AVRZDB/VS750ZV7_04/VS750ZV7_04.SV7_04.P58006.R5.cab

Walt, the effort is very muchly appreciated, but I don't think anyone has yet figured out how to do a direct installation via the cab or via the three files enclosed in the cab.

There's probably an LG Project Manager somewhere kicking back with a big cash bonus for the year and smirking at what a wonderful idea it was to make updating the phone so locked in and dependent on using LG's flaky updater program.

WaltA
12-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Walt, the effort is very muchly appreciated, but I don't think anyone has yet figured out how to do a direct installation via the cab or via the three files enclosed in the cab.

I have a strong feeling that this .cab file is a Windows .cab file (like a .zip file), and not a Windows Mobile install file. Therefore, it is intended as an input or source to LG's Windows based firmware update utility that one would run from their PC (with their Fathom attached).

vprasad
12-07-2010, 06:21 PM
I have a strong feeling that this .cab file is a Windows .cab file (like a .zip file), and not a Windows Mobile install file. Therefore, it is intended as an input or source to LG's Windows based firmware update utility that one would run from their PC (with their Fathom attached).

Yeah, the cab file does open with Windows explorer and the three files are extractable from it
VS750_W_1_0_7_0.dll
VS750ZV7_04.SV7_04.P58006.R5.wdb
VS750ZV7_04.SV7_04.P58006.R5.wdh

However, the updater utility performs its validation check (those of us unable to update are basically failing validation because there's something about the phone that the updater does not recognize or like) before downloading anything to the C:\Users\All Users\LGMOBILEAX\Phone directory and then performing the update; the Phone directory gets deleted by the updater utility.

I haven't been able to find any switches or extensions for launching the installer to tell it to skip validation.

I think LG may be in a bit of a pickle because if they provide a workaround then that's a just a stone's throw away from people using it to hack the firmware and extend the longevity of the phone/tweak the installed software; if they don't provide a workaround, the number of annoyed users will continue to swell.

Why they don't just fix it by either updating the installer or updating their validation lookup table is a bit odd.

It's to a point where one wonders if it would be useful to try modifying local DNS or hosts file to point to a spoof server as "csmg.lgmobile.com" and have it serve
/csmg/b2c/client/agent_phonesw_notice_list.jsp
and
/swdata/WEBSW/LGVS750/AVRZDB/VS750ZV7_04/VS750ZV7_04.SV7_04.P58006.R5.cab
on port 9002 to see if it can trick the installer; however, that is a bit more time intensive than I've got handy.

trippaw
12-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Yeah, the cab file does open with Windows explorer and the three files are extractable from it
VS750_W_1_0_7_0.dll
VS750ZV7_04.SV7_04.P58006.R5.wdb
VS750ZV7_04.SV7_04.P58006.R5.wdh

However, the updater utility performs its validation check (those of us unable to update are basically failing validation because there's something about the phone that the updater does not recognize or like) before downloading anything to the C:\Users\All Users\LGMOBILEAX\Phone directory and then performing the update; the Phone directory gets deleted by the updater utility.

I haven't been able to find any switches or extensions for launching the installer to tell it to skip validation.

I think LG may be in a bit of a pickle because if they provide a workaround then that's a just a stone's throw away from people using it to hack the firmware and extend the longevity of the phone/tweak the installed software; if they don't provide a workaround, the number of annoyed users will continue to swell.

Why they don't just fix it by either updating the installer or updating their validation lookup table is a bit odd.

It's to a point where one wonders if it would be useful to try modifying local DNS or hosts file to point to a spoof server as "csmg.lgmobile.com" and have it serve
/csmg/b2c/client/agent_phonesw_notice_list.jsp
and
/swdata/WEBSW/LGVS750/AVRZDB/VS750ZV7_04/VS750ZV7_04.SV7_04.P58006.R5.cab
on port 9002 to see if it can trick the installer; however, that is a bit more time intensive than I've got handy.

I've been blocked from upgrading for a long time. I finally came across this post for the LG Ally: http://androidforums.com/lg-ally/124574-ally-v9-sw-update.html#post1227937. I followed the instructions (substituting "VS750" for "VS740", "VS750ZV7_04" for "VS740ZV9_04", etc. I tried a number of times, and finally had it work when I ignored the popup error message I got and scrolled thru the log that is shown under the Phone Update tool.

Note: I had to do a quick search for the "LG Utils 0.4.2" zip file, and got a copy from megaupload.

Bit of a hassle, while I played around with it for the last 2 hrs, but worth it. Now, to play with the new version! BTW, threaded SMS is here, along with a replacement home screen that allows for widgets and five scrollable screens (like Android or SPB Mobile Shell). That's all I noticed so far.

Cheers!

vprasad
12-10-2010, 01:03 AM
i've been blocked from upgrading for a long time. I finally came across this post for the lg ally: http://androidforums.com/lg-ally/124574-ally-v9-sw-update.html#post1227937. I followed the instructions (substituting "vs750" for "vs740", "vs750zv7_04" for "vs740zv9_04", etc. I tried a number of times, and finally had it work when i ignored the popup error message i got and scrolled thru the log that is shown under the phone update tool.

Note: I had to do a quick search for the "lg utils 0.4.2" zip file, and got a copy from megaupload.

Bit of a hassle, while i played around with it for the last 2 hrs, but worth it. Now, to play with the new version! Btw, threaded sms is here, along with a replacement home screen that allows for widgets and five scrollable screens (like android or spb mobile shell). That's all i noticed so far.

Cheers!

dude!!! You are a genius!!! Works great!!! Thank you thank you thank you trippaw!

Also many thanks to WaltA for grabbing the cab!

WaltA
12-11-2010, 05:27 PM
If any Fathom owner wants to read some "official" info on this update, here are some VZW links.

Here is the upgrade announcement. Personally, I find #2, the new 3G Hot Spot feature, the most interesting. http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/fathom.pdf

Here is the VZW upgrade support page. http://support.vzw.com/system_update/fathom.html

vprasad
12-12-2010, 02:54 AM
I've been blocked from upgrading for a long time. I finally came across this post for the LG Ally: http://androidforums.com/lg-ally/124574-ally-v9-sw-update.html#post1227937. I followed the instructions (substituting "VS750" for "VS740", "VS750ZV7_04" for "VS740ZV9_04", etc. I tried a number of times, and finally had it work when I ignored the popup error message I got and scrolled thru the log that is shown under the Phone Update tool.

Trippaw,
how did you come up with the idea to test the Ally installation technique on the Fathom? It seems to be one of those things that no one else suggested or thought about in the past few months.

From day one of getting the phone running ZV4 I noticed that browsing to Facebook from the phone's Internet Explorer and looking at the bottom of the page, it seems to think the phone is a "GW550".

Has anyone tested (or risked bricking their phone) by using the technique to attempt Android on a Fathom or Win Mobile on an Ally?

WaltA
12-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Has anyone tested (or risked bricking their phone) by using the technique to attempt Android on a Fathom or Win Mobile on an Ally?

I doubt the WinMobile load for a Fathom, has the correct device drivers for all the Ally hardware, and conversely, the Androad load for an Ally has the correct drivers for all the Fathom hardware.

trippaw
12-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Trippaw,
how did you come up with the idea to test the Ally installation technique on the Fathom? It seems to be one of those things that no one else suggested or thought about in the past few months.

Somehow I stumbled across it in some search results. I looked into the use of the tools there, and everywhere I looked it seemed like it was just a more open version of the LG Updater tools that had been most likely leaked. At the very least, it was obviously being used on more platforms than Android. Since the only variable was the cab files being used, I felt reasonably safe using it on my phone.

dom_NY
12-17-2010, 07:00 PM
If any Fathom owner wants to read some "official" info on this update, here are some VZW links.

Here is the upgrade announcement. Personally, I find #2, the new 3G Hot Spot feature, the most interesting. http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/fathom.pdf

Here is the VZW upgrade support page. http://support.vzw.com/system_update/fathom.html

This is very disappointing. I was able to do the v5 update myself. However, this one continues to fail me. To give you an idea of the run around, I did the following:

Called a VZ Corp store (the one that sold me the phone) They said they were unable to do the update and advised I should call VZ tech support.
Called VZ tech support and was told that this was the first time someone reported a problem with the update and was transferred to LG tech support
LG tech indirectly agreed that the update is not compatible with Windows 7 64 bit and advised to go to a VZ Corp store
Called the same Corp store I bought the device again after work yesterday and first was told they are unable to update any smart phones (WinoMo BlackBery Android) cause the software requires admin rights on the PC, Explained to the guy what I have already gone through and he put me on hold to check with another tech and discovered they could do the update-but only to v5.

I previously had a Samsung Omnia. The firware updates were so easy and never had this much trouble. For such a mature platform this is pathetic.

WaltA
12-18-2010, 08:11 AM
LG tech indirectly agreed that the update is not compatible with Windows 7 64 bit and advised to go to a VZ Corp store
Called the same Corp store I bought the device again after work yesterday and first was told they are unable to update any smart phones (WinoMo BlackBery Android) cause the software requires admin rights on the PC, Explained to the guy what I have already gone through and he put me on hold to check with another tech and discovered they could do the update-but only to v5.

There is an entire thread over on LG's forums about this problem. While there isn't a solution yet, you might find it interesting to just read. LG Update Tool - no Verizon? (http://www.lgforum.com/forum/boards/carriers/verizon/topics/lg-update-tool-no-verizon)

cac2us
03-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Has any one found a way to cook the rom on this device?
All of this "Social-holic" bloat ware is destroying the usefulness of this fine device.
I think that HTC and Mr. Jobbs are bribing LG to cripple this phone..
Either that, or LG just can’t seem to care about it’s reputation enough to satisfy it’s consumer base.

Enjoy...

WaltA
03-09-2011, 07:08 AM
All of this "Social-holic" bloat ware is destroying the usefulness of this fine device.

What "Social-holic" bloat are you talking about? The Fathom is the most pure Win Mobile device I know of.

mdy
05-18-2011, 11:10 AM
I have a new LG Fathom (v4) that I want to update to V7 before I start using it. With phone not connected I ran LGMobile Update and installed drivers for Fathom. Then plugged in Fathom and WMDC pops up, but Updater repeatedly brings up usb installer window. It looks like the Updater window (underneath all the usb installer windows) is connecting and then disconnecting from the phone. I then tried the Utils 0.4.2 approach (setting compatibility to XPSP2 and run as admin). It said the phone wasn't connected; meanwhile WMDC is happily connected. In Device Manager the phone is listed under "portable devices" not usb. Could that make a difference? I uninstalled WMDC, but that didn't help. Any ideas what I should try next? Many thanks.

mdy
05-18-2011, 07:47 PM
It might be pure luck or a Windows fluke, but I got the updater to work by plugging the Fathom into a USB port I've never used before (I have two on the side -- that I use all the time for various devices -- and two on the back of my laptop). I plugged it in and then started LGMobile Updater and it saw my phone and updated it to V7. And it works. Hope this helps someone else.

vprasad
06-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Wife needed a replacement phone and I was looking to try something new, so I gave her my Fathom and I got a Thunderbolt. she discovered on the Fathom's VS750ZV7 software that the old "press the volume rocker switch to mute a ringing phone" trick wasn't working-- what she was getting instead was a "no [sic] enough memory to run" this application and some blather about closing programs in task manager.

So with 70mb free ram and nothing else running, we started uninstalling applications and when that didn't fix it, we ended up doing a factory reset-- and guess what? It STILL didn't fix it. Venturing that this flaw was isolated to VS750ZV7, I figured a downgrade to VS750ZV5 was in order.

Well, that was a few hours ordeal-- the LG Updater software kept looping the "Install USB Drivers" window, one on top the other both on her machine and on my machine. Realizing that it had worked fine on my machine months ago, I figured either the USB connection on the phone or the cable was shot... or, more likely, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) just does not get along with the LG USB Modem Drivers that were installed when connecting to the phone. From the previous posts, I also tried each and every USB port on the laptops to no avail.

I was not in a position to downgrade the computer OS, and the cable had been working just fine for Syncs, so I did another search for the looping issue and found there was a guy (I can't cite the link-- seem to have lost it) who went to Settings / Connection Settings / USB Switch and set his phone from ActiveSync to the VZW setting. After the phone rebooted from saving the setting, the LG Updater application was able to use the LG USB Modem drivers without the looping and I was able to force the downgrade to VS750ZV5. Now, using the rocker switch to mute an incoming call works again.

cac2us
07-10-2011, 01:56 AM
UPDATE: LG Fathom Emergency Download Mode Code

Since the "New & Improved" crap for an update utillity forced itself upon my PC, I' sure that at least 50 of us have suffered through this.
I found this:

http://www.lg-phones.org/lg-fathom-v...comment-page-1

Mauricio on 9 July, 2011 at 8:56 pm # How to enter into LG Fathom VS750 Emergency Download Mode Steps:
1. Turn off the LG Fathom VS750
2. Press 5″
3. Press Power button while pressing 5 keystrokes.
4. Check the front LED is green and the screen displays Emergency download.
You can now connect your phone using the USB cable and use fashing tools to fix your LG Fathom VS750
Caution: Remember to backup your files before flashing. This will erase all of your personal data.

And guess what, this actually works...

Just try it and see. If you want to abort the download, just tap the reset button...

Who ever wrote that bit about "pull the battery, then press a few buttons---- HOLD IT RIGHT THERE ---

What is going to happen with battery out of the unit?
You could press the Davinci Code and nothing will happen without power...
Unless you posses the "Glowing One Perk".
Pluging the power cord into a unit without the battery only prompts you to "Insert a Battery".

So, MUCH THANKS to Mauricio.
I have been searching for this code for some time now, but for some reason it finally apeared.

Now if only some developers would find it in their hearts to help us root this baby, "Oh Happy DAY".

WeAreNotAlone
08-09-2011, 01:09 AM
PROBLEMS after flashing V7= VS750ZV7_04.SV7_04.P58006.R5.cab

Fellow long time Windows Mobile (WM) and LG Fathom VS750 owners..
Need some input... First WM device... I'd appreciate any help on addressing the below questions.

(There are only like (3) threads on the whole net I've found on the VS750...)
WM forums here on HowardForums are a Ghost town it appears...)

LG VS750 Fathom
Pros:
$100 shipped, unlocked. Great -(No contract) hardware (1gHZ CPU) for $$$ amount.

Cons:
1: VS750 should have been spec'ed with more RAM.
2: LG /Verizon @ this point in time (year+ after initial release) unlikely to address "bugs", operational problems.
3: As of today's date=No "cooked", user created roms.
(No-one has been able to open, recreate flashable rom file)
4: WM 6.5 OS @ end of life with very little developer /hacker /modder activity due to Windows Phone 7 OS, Android OS.

As most Fathom owners know most all VS750's originally shipped:
VS750 ROM is V4 of WM 6.5.3 OS.
VS750ZV4 =Office 2007?

This followed by V5= VS750ZV5_06.SV5_06.P58006.R5.cab
(2010-07-06)
Latest version is V7= VS750ZV7_04.SV7_04.P58006.R5.cab
(2010-10-25)
V5= Adds Office 2010
V5=Adds "Android" type screens.... To me it appearing to be a OEM (Dumbed down) copy of SPB Shell 3.5.5.

PROBLEMS after flashing V7= VS750ZV7_04.SV7_04.P58006.R5.cab...

1: MEMORY LEAKS???? With ZERO apps installed "Free Ram" is right at 70mb... Run a app or two.. (Update weather, open/close IE) and maybe a phone call or two this figure drops 60, then 50, Hour or so later ram was down to 36mb or so.:befuddled

(I will close via X button, then check TaskManager to make sure app has closed.)

2: Out of memory error message...
Upon incoming call, (Phone ringing) Pressing the Vol UP/DOWN button to "mute" ringer /adjust ringer volume? results in a Out of memory error message... :doh:

3: GPS internal-not working:
Google maps, Bing, OpenmobileMaps, etc are NOT seeing the units built in GPS receiver.

In app itself I select using let windows manage GPS device.

On the GPS tab in the WM 6.5.3 OS itself...Lables "External GPS"
Settings under GPS are:
Programs tab>GPS Program Port =GPD9
Hardware tab>GPS hardware port=None, rate=4800
Access=Mange GPS automatically
(Managed by Windows)

I have tried Com1, Not managed by Windows, etc... Have downloaded QuickGPS Lite to update GPS's? database....

What is the "trick" to get GPS WORKING?...

(I know for a "first lock" it may take up to 1/2 hour without QuickGPS data.)
Google Maps will show it attempting to find satellites, then around 5 mins or so will give "weak signal /can't find satellites error message.

Q: What are the settings you guys are using? (App and VS750 GPS hardware)

3a: Right now I just wanting to get GPS working.... but later on GPS apps data connection will be thru Wif-Fi only so apps that cache data are of course more usable.... (OpenMaps, IGO 8? good choices)

4: No way to have filter "stick" for displayed contacts? I have contacts on both SIM, and copied same to phone. In options (Filter) I can select show all, sim, only sim, only phone, etc.... and selection will display... but won't "Stick" upon exiting app.... Is this normal (Surely not)... Are there any reg edits to make choice "stick"?

(After copying SIM contents to phone I do not want to see those items).

5: How the heck do you delete unneeded ICONS, APPS? I'd like to edit out for instance hotlink to VZ_Navigator... othher Verzion installed apps and serivces as I'm connecting via T-Mobile (Voice only), Data thru Wif-Fi.. (No data plan)

6: I read somewhere you can reorganize ICONS on WM page that displays installed apps by clicking and dragging to desired position... I am unable to move icons.
EG: Move most used apps to TOP).

7: In one of the ArcSoft apps (Gallery View)? it shows ALL pics on device.... there's no option to filter (EG: show all on Storage card, excludes certain folders)... Each and every image of cached GPS tiles are displayed... What the heck are this guys thinking on such apps?

(Add Gallery View as app I'd like to delete and replace with app that can filter content.)

WeAreNotAlone
08-09-2011, 03:16 AM
LG VS750 Fathom
V5= VS750ZV5_06.SV5_06.P58006.R5.cab
(2010-07-06)

Storage
Total=241.74mb
In Use=19.22mb
FREE=222.52

Program
Total=211.05
In Use=123.69
FREE=*81.36
*Drops to 72.85 by just clicking on "External GPS icon and checking settings..LOL)..Task Manager showing nothing running.

V7= VS750ZV7_04.SV7_04.P58006.R5.cab
(2010-10-25)

Storage
Total=214.72
In Use=22.54
FREE=192.18

Program
Total=211.05
In Use=138.32
Free=72.75

WeAreNotAlone
08-10-2011, 12:25 AM
PROBLEMS after flashing V7= VS750ZV7_04.SV7_04.P58006.R5.cab

Fellow long time Windows Mobile (WM) and LG Fathom VS750 owners..
Need some input... First WM device... I'd appreciate any help on addressing the below questions.

~SNIP~

3: GPS internal-not working:
Google maps, Bing, OpenmobileMaps, etc are NOT seeing the units built in GPS receiver.

~SNIP~

What is the "trick" to get GPS WORKING?...

Answering my own post here guys...:silly:

SUBJECT: GPS Not working, How to configure LG VS750 Fathom GPS for use on a GSM carrier.

Hardware:

LG VS750 Fathom originally sold thru Verizon.
Release date: early 2010+/-

VS750 being (CDMA), and Quad-Band GSM "World-Phone"...
(GSM for countries/locations Verizon does not cover.)

Target Audience/Market= BUSINESS USER, WORLD TRAVELER.
Pros:
1ghz SnapDragon CPU= FAST!, onscreen and physical keyboard, 800x400 WVGA screen, good build quality.

Running WM 6.5.3..... ".3" making the OS very finger friendly.
Last of (WM) Windows Mobile OS.
Huge installed base of users, years and years of info on the net on configuring OS, tricks and tips.

6.5.3 Cons:
Due to WinPhone 7 OS (which will probably take several YEARS to get it "working"- in typical MS fashion) 6.5.3 got the shaft, literally...
(Responsible parties at MS admitting WM 6.5.3 was pushed out the door- due to manpower being diverted to Windows Phone 7.)

Not much activity on WM forums for 6.5... and less for 6.5.3...

As of 2011-08 No (sorely needed) custom ROMS. :doh:

My take on why so many people are reporting having problems getting GPS to work if they are on GSM:

As noted above phone was marketed thru Verizon for use on their CDMA network.
Because the phone was originally marketed thru Verizon (CDMA) phone will "look" to register itself on the Verizon network. (Dismiss prompt at boot- Configure for GSM=Simple 1 minute procedure.)

To make phone "work" with non-Verizon provider (EG: Carrier -T-Mobile USA (GSM) you have to change Network from CDMA /Global to GSM...

This gets the GSM part "working", but does not toggle on the GPS "locate" function. (By default IIRC it's turned OFF)

*Note: If you are powering phone on for the first time-I would think you could go into NETWORK settings as described below and turn on the LOCATE function BEFORE switching phone to GSM mode, then having to switch to CDMA, then back to GSM again to save some steps...

To get VS750 Internal GPS working if your service is not thru Verizon, EG= GSM:
Temporarily change Network to CDMA (possibly Global?) mode, Once you do that navigate to CDMA Services tab , Select GPS.... and tick (enable) "My Location" (or words similar to that effect) Click OK, ok, etc exit out.

(Hard power cycle power for good measure.. Can't remember if I did.)

Fire up GPS app (Google Maps, OpenMobileMaps, Bing) Check options to ensure "Manged by Windows" is enabled, Check to make sure "enable my location" is enabled in app you are using.

At that point (assuming you used QuickGPS lite or similar program) to preload the GPS with data for the satellites in your part of the world your apps should be working within 1-2-3 minutes vs 10-20-30?

TIP1: Remember to change Network to back to GSM... (+ powercycle)
Tip2: Use a app like QuickGps Lite as it will speed up first GPS lock.
QuickGPS downloads a configuration file that contains data the GPS needs for your area of the world.

QuickGPS Lite usage tip:
START>QuickGPS Lite>OPTIONS... Select area of world you are in, THEN click RETURN (not "OK") which will take you to opening page... THEN download config file!
(Not doing so will download data for TW (Taiwan?)

Location of settings:
Start>Settings>Personal>Phone... Under NETWORK MODE OF OPERATION select CDMA, once saved click CDMA Services tab, click GPS, Get settings from network... then change to enable my location, save, exit..

*Note if you are in a part of the world that does not have Verizon CDMA service... "Get settings from network" may create problems getting settings from network... it may just error out and let you navigate to the next page that allows you to turn on the locate function... then again it may not...

*Note if you are on Verizon, I would assume "locate" function has to be enabled as well...

Hari Kumar
08-12-2011, 12:24 AM
LG Fathom VS750 Emergency Download Mode exit.
Hi Joel,

Just want to know how to get out of the emergency mode.I have tried to
upload the ROM 7 from LGsoftware update. Its not working. The phone is
showing green signal on top, and shows screen of downloading, do not
unplug!

How to come out of this mode.

--
Hari kumar

WeAreNotAlone
08-12-2011, 02:47 AM
LG Fathom VS750 Emergency Download Mode exit.
Hi Joel,

Just want to know how to get out of the emergency mode.I have tried to
upload the ROM 7 from LGsoftware update. Its not working. The phone is
showing green signal on top, and shows screen of downloading, do not
unplug!

How to come out of this mode.

--
Hari kumar

RE: LG Fathom VS750 Emergency Download Mode exit

Depress the RESET button located near the micro usb port.

FYI: Run the update tool in XP SP2 compatibility mode, remove SD from slot before flash, make sure battery is fully charged... and use LG-Utils-0.4.2 to point the updater to local file on hard drive for best results. (Put LGMobileUpdate.exe, B2CAppSetup.exe in same folder you extracted LG-Utils-0.4.2 to.)

VS750 USB drivers (I think): LGUSBModemDriver_Eng_WHQL_Ver_4.9.4_All.exe

PS: VS750ZV5_06.SV5_06.P58006.R5.cab with the addition of SPB SHELL 3.5.5 or some other launcher /shell gives you more customization options.

http://spb.com/pocketpc-software/mobileshell/screenshots.html

Hari Kumar
08-26-2011, 04:16 AM
This is the erros which i am getting

13:28:57 : [C:\LGMobileUpgrade] 丮 õ
13:28:57 : RemoveDirectory1 Error(2):C:\LGMobileUpgrade
13:28:57 : Start Date : 2011-08-26 13:28:57
13:28:57 : -------- Buyer Test mode ---------
13:28:57 : [E:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone] 丮 õ
13:28:57 : RemoveDirectory1 Error(2):E:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone
13:28:58 : *****CheckOS Start********
13:28:58 : Microsoft_Windows_XP_Home Edition_
13:28:58 : *****CheckPCSyncPrograms Start*****
13:28:58 : PCSyncPrograms Not Found
13:28:58 : SetEmerModeAT()
13:28:58 : _IsConnectedPhone Call
13:29:05 : _IsConnectedPhone(2)
13:29:05 : 0 - NotConnected.
13:29:05 : 1 - Normal connect success
13:29:05 : 2 - Emergency connect success
13:29:11 : Checking the connection with the cell phone...13:29:28 : *****GetPhoneNumber Start*****
13:29:30 : Phone Number : 00000000000
13:29:31 : ˻ ĶŸ - ESN_IMEI : 00000000000, Model :
13:29:33 : _GetAuthMark : wAuthMark(29364)
13:29:33 : Wait 3Sec
13:29:39 : _SetAuthMark Ok : wAuthMark(29364), PhoneMode(2)
13:29:39 : *****CheckPCSyncPrograms Start*****
13:29:40 : PCSyncPrograms Not Found
13:29:41 : CLGMobileHttp Class Ҹ.
13:29:41 : CLGMobileHttp Class Ҹ...
13:29:41 : ****************CheckAndDownload****************** **
13:29:41 : ******Extract Start C:\LGVS750\VS750ZV7_04.cab*****
13:29:41 : Model Dll Dir(E:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\)
13:29:42 : Extracted E:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\\VS750ZV7_04.SV7_0 4.P58006.R5.wdb\n
13:29:42 : WDB(or DZ) FullPath(E:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\\VS750ZV7 _04.SV7_04.P58006.R5.wdb)
13:29:42 : Extracted E:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\\VS750_W_1_0_7_0.d ll\n
13:29:42 : Model dll FullPath(E:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\\VS750_W_ 1_0_7_0.dll)
13:29:42 : Extracted E:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\\VS750ZV7_04.SV7_0 4.P58006.R5.wdh\n
13:29:42 : NNNNN WDB FullPath(E:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\VS750ZV7_ 04.SV7_04.P58006.R5.wdb)
13:29:42 : NNNNN Model dll FullPath(E:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\VS750_W_1 _0_7_0.dll)
13:29:42 : Extract End C:\LGVS750\VS750ZV7_04.cab
13:29:43 : *****WorkModelDLL Start*****
13:29:47 : strPhoneBinaryPath(E:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone \VS750ZV7_04.SV7_04.P58006.R5.wdb)
13:29:47 : strModuleDir(E:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\)
13:29:47 : strModelDLLPath(E:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\VS 750_W_1_0_7_0.dll)
13:29:47 : m_nPhoneMode(2)
13:29:47 : Phone mode 1 = Normal
13:29:47 : Phone mode 2 = Emergency
13:29:47 : Phone mode 4 = CSE
13:29:47 : _DetachDLL Call
13:29:47 : _DetachDLL Call End
13:29:47 : Call fn_StartUpgrade
13:29:47 : ### Start Upgrade - CDMA ###
13:29:47 : ********* CDMA Model.dll input Parameter *************
13:29:47 : MODEL_EVENT : 32769
13:29:47 : PhoneBinaryPath : E:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\VS750ZV7_04.SV7_04 .P58006.R5.wdb
13:29:47 : ModuleDir : E:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\
13:29:47 : BootWaitTime : 49500
13:29:47 : UsbHighSpeed : FALSE
13:29:47 : PhoneMode : 2
13:29:47 : NewPhoneBinVersion : V7_04
13:29:47 : ClearSI : FALSE
13:29:47 : AuthMark : 29364
13:29:47 : ********* CDMA Model.dll input Parameter End*************
13:29:48 : wParam : 100, lParam = 81
13:29:48 : MODEL DLL Event : (100, 81)
13:29:48 : CleanModelDll() : Free Model.dll
13:29:48 : _DetachDLL Call
13:29:48 : _DetachDLL Call End
13:29:48 : FreeLibrary Call
13:29:50 : FreeLibrary Call End
13:29:51 : Page_Error κԴϴ
13:29:51 : Retry κԴϴ

13:29:11 : dwWaitResetTime(40000 ms)
13:29:12 : Phone Mode(2)
13:29:12 : *****GetPhoneType Start*****
13:29:15 : Phone Type : CDMA
13:29:15 : *****Start GetPreviousStep*****
13:29:15 : _GetPreviousStep(dwStep:0x5)
13:29:15 : *****GetPhoneBinaryVersion Start*****
13:29:15 : Phone Bin Version : VS750ZV5_06
13:29:15 : *****Get ESN / IMEI / MEID Start*****
13:32:20 : Call Retry Thread
13:32:20 : Checking the connection with the cell phone...
13:32:20 : Checking the connection with the cell phone...
13:32:20 : dwWaitResetTime(40000 ms)
13:32:24 : _IsConnectedPhone Call
13:32:24 : _IsConnectedPhone(0)
13:32:24 : 0 - NotConnected.
13:32:24 : 1 - Normal connect success
13:32:24 : 2 - Emergency connect success
13:32:28 : _IsConnectedPhone Call
13:32:28 : _IsConnectedPhone(0)
13:32:28 : 0 - NotConnected.
13:32:28 : 1 - Normal connect success
13:32:28 : 2 - Emergency connect success
13:32:32 : _IsConnectedPhone Call
13:32:32 : _IsConnectedPhone(0)
13:32:32 : 0 - NotConnected.
13:32:32 : 1 - Normal connect succe13:32:40 : _IsConnectedPhone Call
13:32:40 : _IsConnectedPhone(0)
13:32:40 : 0 - NotConnected.
13:32:40 : 1 - Normal connect success
13:32:40 : 2 - Emergency connect success
13:32:40 : [009,400,102,102,102]The USB cable and your cellphone are not connected.\nPlease connect your phone and wait for connecting \nthe USB port for a while and press the [009,700,147,062,092]'Restart'[009,400,102,102,102] button.
13:32:41 : Check Cancel button active..
13:32:41 : CLGMobileHttp Class Ҹ.
13:32:41 : CLGMobileHttp Class Ҹ...
13:32:41 : Page_Error κԴϴ
13:32:41 : [011,700,147,062,092]LG Mobile Phone Software Update was canceled\n\n[009,400,102,102,102]To quit LG Mobile Phone Software Update, please press the [009,700,147,062,092]Exit[009,400,102,102,102] button below.
ss
13:32:32 : 2 - Emergency connect success
13:32:32 : [009,400,102,102,102]The USB cable and your cellphone are not connected.\nPlease connect your phone and wait for connecting \nthe USB port for a while and press the [009,700,147,062,092]'Restart'[009,400,102,102,102] button.
[009,400,102,102,102]

Hari Kumar
08-26-2011, 04:30 AM
I Just wanted to get the phone to working mode at least.

pratimesh
02-03-2012, 03:54 AM
dear prasad , i want the procedure , how you were able to force the downgrade to VS750ZV5. my lg updater is working both wit active sync and VZW.

Wife needed a replacement phone and I was looking to try something new, so I gave her my Fathom and I got a Thunderbolt. she discovered on the Fathom's VS750ZV7 software that the old "press the volume rocker switch to mute a ringing phone" trick wasn't working-- what she was getting instead was a "no [sic] enough memory to run" this application and some blather about closing programs in task manager.

So with 70mb free ram and nothing else running, we started uninstalling applications and when that didn't fix it, we ended up doing a factory reset-- and guess what? It STILL didn't fix it. Venturing that this flaw was isolated to VS750ZV7, I figured a downgrade to VS750ZV5 was in order.

Well, that was a few hours ordeal-- the LG Updater software kept looping the "Install USB Drivers" window, one on top the other both on her machine and on my machine. Realizing that it had worked fine on my machine months ago, I figured either the USB connection on the phone or the cable was shot... or, more likely, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) just does not get along with the LG USB Modem Drivers that were installed when connecting to the phone. From the previous posts, I also tried each and every USB port on the laptops to no avail.

I was not in a position to downgrade the computer OS, and the cable had been working just fine for Syncs, so I did another search for the looping issue and found there was a guy (I can't cite the link-- seem to have lost it) who went to Settings / Connection Settings / USB Switch and set his phone from ActiveSync to the VZW setting. After the phone rebooted from saving the setting, the LG Updater application was able to use the LG USB Modem drivers without the looping and I was able to force the downgrade to VS750ZV5. Now, using the rocker switch to mute an incoming call works again.