PDA

View Full Version : Palm Pre 2

Jakes
10-26-2010, 02:11 PM
It features a 1ghz processor, webOS 2.0, and a new glass screen, but the keyboard appears the same, unfortunately. The guy at the Verizon store today said his district manager is using the Pre 2 and claims that all the issues that existed with the Pre Plus have been corrected. I know that's probably a tall tale, but one can hope. I'm planning on picking on up on November 11th when it's released to take the place of my Droid 2 and Galaxy S. Anyone else on board or even slightly interested?

Oddinary
10-26-2010, 06:26 PM
I see no real difference between this and the current Pre Plus. It has roughly the same exact design, incremental changes in the OS, and specs that are dated before it's release.

vdubbed81
10-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Palm has a great OS, they just need some outstanding hardware/device to help put them on the map.

Oddinary
10-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Palm has a great OS, they just need some outstanding hardware/device to help put them on the map.
Agreed, but the Pre 2 is not the hardware that will interest anyone other than current Pre owners.

Keith1212
10-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Does WebOS have a decent amount of apps? The Palm Pre 2's hardware has disqualified it from my consideration but in the future if they come out with something decent with WebOS, the number of apps will definitely be an important factor in regards to a potential purchase.

pix3l
10-27-2010, 08:53 PM
You gonna pay retail for that sucker? :P

I would, but the design hasn't changed much, screen resolution is still not the greatest. webOS 2.0 looks fantastic though

drocpsu
10-28-2010, 10:20 AM
I've always liked the look and form factor of the Palm Pre since it was first introduced. I've never had one, so I can't speak to the actual performance, but if I were in the market for a smartphone, I'd consider it. I know it has outdated specs compared to a lot of phones today, but not everyone is looking for a huge screen slab phone or side-slider. A larger screen would definitely be nice on it, but I'm personally partial to regular sliders with actual keyboards under them. WebOS 2.0 looks nice (I liked webOS 1 from demoing the first-gen pre's and pre-plusses). It'll be interesting to see what new phones come down the pipe after this.

Jakes
11-04-2010, 12:17 PM
I see no real difference between this and the current Pre Plus. It has roughly the same exact design, incremental changes in the OS, and specs that are dated before it's release.

I know, but while I do find Android usable, I'm simply not content with it. I don't feel like my information is based enough on the phone itself, but rather on Google's servers. I like the way Apple does it, as a backup and sync, but Google feels like what you do on the web will always supersede what is done on the phone, which is totally backwards for me. I often have to change calendar information online because after successfully changing it on the device, it simply reverts back. And the Fascinate has a strange quirk where you cannot set a reminder to sound before the actual event if the event is recurring. There are so many of these odd little quirks that were never an issue on webOS. So while the hardware on the Pre 2 could be lightyears beyond what it actually is (the screen sucks and I hope and pray that the keyboard has gotten a major upgrade), I just want to get away from my current Android experience. Now, the other option is the Merge. Granted, it's obviously still Android but it's also Sense, which may or may not fix some of the quirks. At this point, I don't know what I'm going to do, but I'm leaning toward the Pre 2. Of course, I'll first play with both and make my mind of from there and as always, if I'm not happy with it, I'll simply return it.

I hope you helps you understand my thinking, misterSelf.

Does WebOS have a decent amount of apps? The Palm Pre 2's hardware has disqualified it from my consideration but in the future if they come out with something decent with WebOS, the number of apps will definitely be an important factor in regards to a potential purchase.

Not really. There are enough apps to get by but it really amounts to nothing when compared to Android or iOS.

You gonna pay retail for that sucker? :P

I would, but the design hasn't changed much, screen resolution is still not the greatest. webOS 2.0 looks fantastic though

I always pay full retail for my phones. I'm pretty much never eligable for upgrades because I buy a new phone every couple months. Recently (the past few months) though, I've only paid full retail for my Droid2 and Galaxy S.

frail
11-04-2010, 12:27 PM
A 1 GHz processor and 512MB of RAM aren't all that dated. The biggest issue for me is the screen resolution. I can live with a 3.1" screen, but 320x480 just isn't cutting it anymore. Still, I'll probably get this phone when it comes out. The optimizations made in webOS 2.0 along with the processor speed bump should make for a much speedier experience than the current iteration. And webOS is still my favorite smartphone OS.

Jakes
11-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Agreed on all counts! I wouldn't have a big issue with this phone had they upped the resolution, because the screen is exactly the same as the first Pre and that just isn't acceptable for 2010.

Oddinary
11-06-2010, 10:44 PM
I hope that helps you understand my thinking, misterSelf.
I do. I am equally torn. I like webOS. I just think that in this current market, HP/Palm has to aim a little higher or different when it comes to design. I'm not saying that they have to follow everyone and put out a 4-4.3 inch slate, but something a little different wouldn't hurt. I find it inexcusable to release practically the same phone (with a few incremental changes) and expect anyone to notice. If they didn't notice the first time around, what's going to bring them to the table this time? Verizon? Better advertising? What? Because it certainly isn't striking hardware.

Jakes
11-08-2010, 08:37 AM
I do. I am equally torn. I like webOS. I just think that in this current market, HP/Palm has to aim a little higher or different when it comes to design. I'm not saying that they have to follow everyone and put out a 4-4.3 inch slate, but something a little different wouldn't hurt. I find it inexcusable to release practically the same phone (with a few incremental changes) and expect anyone to notice. If they didn't notice the first time around, what's going to bring them to the table this time? Verizon? Better advertising? What? Because it certainly isn't striking hardware.

You're right, to gain attention and sales, they needed a more striking, newer design. Unfortunately, they didn't do that. They (hopefully) fixed what needed to be fixed, gave it internal specs to compete with what's out there today, and left it alone otherwise. So while it really sucks and I wish I could change it, that's what we're left with. So that's what I have to decide whether it's worth it or not. At this point, I don't know. The Merge seems like an equal disappointment, so I guess it's the lesser of two evils at this point, but I'd really like to give webOS another shot. I'm a little tired of everything Android. I'm going to go to Verizon on the 12th and give both a chance and just go from there.

GreenTeaCrv
11-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Wait till CES 2011 unless you really love the current form factor... The Pre 2 is the last device upgrade that Palm had on the drawing board prior to the HP buyout. HP Palm has a few new devices coming out in 2011 including a PalmPad...

You're right, to gain attention and sales, they needed a more striking, newer design. Unfortunately, they didn't do that. They (hopefully) fixed what needed to be fixed, gave it internal specs to compete with what's out there today, and left it alone otherwise. So while it really sucks and I wish I could change it, that's what we're left with. So that's what I have to decide whether it's worth it or not. At this point, I don't know. The Merge seems like an equal disappointment, so I guess it's the lesser of two evils at this point, but I'd really like to give webOS another shot. I'm a little tired of everything Android. I'm going to go to Verizon on the 12th and give both a chance and just go from there.

Jakes
11-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Wait till CES 2011 unless you really love the current form factor... The Pre 2 is the last device upgrade that Palm had on the drawing board prior to the HP buyout. HP Palm has a few new devices coming out in 2011 including a PalmPad...

I buy a new phone every couple months, so I can't wait that long. :lol: If new phones do come then though, I'll definitely pick on up. So, just to be clear, I'm sure I'll be getting both. I appreciate the information, though! :)

And I LOVE the phone on the left in your signature. But is that really the Pre 2? It looks so much more elegant and refined than the Pre 2 I saw pictures of. If it is the Pre 2 though, then there's no question that I'll be getting it.

Jakes
11-08-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm so confused now! BGR just posted a picture of the same phone I was just asking about, claiming it to be the Pre 2, but PreCentral shows what I always thought was the Pre 2. Which one is real?!

New Pre 2 (BGR): http://www.bgr.com/2010/11/07/five-future-palm-devices-pop-up-in-webos-2-0-code/

Old Pre 2 (PreCentral): http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-2-made-official-1ghz-processor-5mp-camera-glass-screen

GreenTeaCrv
11-09-2010, 06:35 AM
I'm so confused now! BGR just posted a picture of the same phone I was just asking about, claiming it to be the Pre 2, but PreCentral shows what I always thought was the Pre 2. Which one is real?!

New Pre 2 (BGR): http://www.bgr.com/2010/11/07/five-future-palm-devices-pop-up-in-webos-2-0-code/

These are Device mockups from a Contest on Precentral. I hope HP will take notice and use these designs in future webOS products...

http://www.precentral.net/vote-mock-next-palm-device-contest-needs-you-pick-winner

Old Pre 2 (PreCentral): http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-2-made-official-1ghz-processor-5mp-camera-glass-screen

This is the Real Palm Pre 2 that will be on Verizon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCrvI9NAQOQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5vVts3ZmRc

Oddinary
11-09-2010, 06:46 AM

I want to believe that the one on BGR is a render (along with the other four devices) and the one on PreCentral is the real device.

Jakes
11-09-2010, 07:10 AM
This is the Real Palm Pre 2 that will be on Verizon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCrvI9NAQOQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5vVts3ZmRc

I want to believe that the one on BGR is a render (along with the other four devices) and the one on PreCentral is the real device.

Thanks for the clarification, that's what I both assumed and feared, so this kinda sucks. I so wanted it to be the BGR device, it looks so hot. I'll probably still buy it, but just not as happily as I would have before.

_KC_
11-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Last link is it. I used one for awhile today. Wasn't too bad, nice improvement over the orginal for sure.

Jakes
11-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Where did you use one? My store didn't get any and said they were not released today.

_KC_
11-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Palm rep dropped by one of my stores and hung out for awhile. He was carrying one.

Jakes
11-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Palm rep dropped by one of my stores and hung out for awhile. He was carrying one.

Did you get to use it?

_KC_
11-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Yes, I played around on it for a bit. Nice improvement over the original, have to say from what little time I had on it.

dvdmon
11-30-2010, 10:58 AM

None of the BGR phones are Pre 2's, they are mockups of what potential phones could look like. Precentral's site is the real Pre 2.

dvdmon
11-30-2010, 11:27 AM
I've been a Sprint Palm Pre owner since 6/6/09, when it came out. I've been dabbling in webOS development but haven't actually created any apps yet. In any case, Palm had a "Developers Day" a couple of weeks ago in New York that I attended. Great talks by HP Palm employees (including Phil McKinny, CTO of the mobile division in HP), and lots of developers and others in the community. In any case, we didn't hear any announcements, but it's pretty clear that they will be coming out with a slew of new devices next year, including a tablet. They are all supposed to be really, really nice (hardware-wise), but who knows what carriers they will land on.

HP Palm was nice enough to give everyone attending a Pre 2! It's an unclocked GSM "developer's" phone, but no different from one you would buy from the few carriers that offer it in Europe (and maybe Canada) now. There have been rumors about it coming out on Verizon, but it's now post-Black Friday, and there's been nothing. It's not coming out on Sprint, despite uproar from many of us Sprint people. In order to use it properly (load a Palm Profile) you need to connect it to a carrier's network initially. I did this by just going into an AT&T store and asking to borrow a SIM from one of their phones. After I created a new Palm Profile (didn't want to use my Sprint one since you can't share profiles yet amongst multiple devices and at least for now I'm still stuck with Sprint for my main mobile phone account), I can now use wifi for all data. So I'm actually tethering it to my Sprint Pre for that! Or just accessing public wifi or my home wifi router. I did just buy an AT&T SIM and activated a pay-as-you-go account, but haven't put any money on it yet. I figure I might do this at some point just to try out and to have in an emergency if my Sprint Pre dies (or just has a dead battery)

So how is the Pre 2? It's so much better than my Sprint Pre, but I can't compare it to a Pre Plus since I never had one. It is VERY fast. I overclock my Sprint Pre to 1Ghz, but it's still not nearly as fast. Not only is the processor faster, but it has 512mb of RAM, like the Pre Plus (the Sprint Pre has 256mb), and the ram is rated faster (I think it's 20% faster than the Pre/Pre Plus). Not sure, but WebOS 2.0 might also contribute to the added speed. Battery life is supposed to be better because the processor has scaling built in. Also, it has a 5MP camera which seems to add a lot of quality to images you take (Pre and Pre Plus have 3MP cameras). The keyboard is basically the same, but keys are a little flatter which seem to help me, although I haven't done extensive typing yet. Overall it just a much better phone, and webOS 2.0 has lots of nice additions, although Palm still needs to add some public API's for talking with the camera, audio, mic, etc., that would allow for more sophisticated apps like iPhone and Android. I'm sure this will come, probably in conjunction with the new hardware next year.

I think the Pre 2 is a great device for those of us that need something with webOS to get us through the next 3-6 months before the real advanced hardware comes, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for people who are new to the platform, unless they just really like this form factor and don't care about large screens, gyroscopes, etc. That's probably why we're not seeing it on any US carriers at this point, because there just isn't a huge market. But if you do have AT&T (or even Tmobile), you can buy it directly from HP unlocked for $450. If you have Verizon, you MAY be able to buy it soon, but who knows exactly when, and if you're Sprint, you're completely out of luck... well, maybe not completely. Palm invited the de-facto head of the webOS hacking community, Rod Whitby, to talk at the Dev Day thing and he did a test hardware hack where he swapped the radio board of a Sprint Pre with a Pre 2, and did some firmware updating that enabled it to work on Sprint. But there were still some issues. Then again, this has been done successfully with a Sprint Pre and a Verizon/ATT Pre Plus, so it's only a matter of time until the kinks are worked out. But if Sprint never offers the Pre 2, you will need to go through some extra hoops every time there is a new update to webOS...

Gordon Gekko
12-17-2010, 12:17 AM

One of the biggest knocks on the Pre is the total lack of Apps. Roughly 1 1/2 years out and we have a grand total of 4900 Apps. Unless HP takes some drastic measures and releases more than a hyped up Pre Plus this summer the Pre 2 may be the last revision of the model line.

dvdmon
12-17-2010, 05:33 AM
One of the biggest knocks on the Pre is the total lack of Apps. Roughly 1 1/2 years out and we have a grand total of 4900 Apps. Unless HP takes some drastic measures and releases more than a hyped up Pre Plus this summer the Pre 2 may be the last revision of the model line.

lol, I find it hilarious that, yet again, it's "if this company doesn't do X by X time, they are doomed!" Your timeframe, your needs, etc. Look, sure, HP does need to come out with some good hardware, but even if it takes another year, consumers are fickle and if they come out with something amazing then that totally trumps the competition, people will flock to it like some shiny object. Not saying it will "kill" the iPhone or Android, but really there is a large market out there and most people don't even own a smartphone.

One small correction - while the official app catalog has around 4900 apps, there are unofficial "home brew" apps that bring up that total closer to around 6,000. Sure, it's small compared to Android and iOS, but I would argue that it's not so much the total number of apps than the quality of those apps. webOS does have some of the major players, but sure there are some missing and a lot of the apps aren't of the same quality as the larger platforms. HP does need to do something about this, like actually pay developers to write apps like what MS has done with WP7.

All the rumors point to HP coming out with something at CES. We'll see what happens in just a few weeks, but everything points to some big announcements for hardware. Meanwhile on the software side, webOS 2.0 is a big step up and is getting lots of work behind the scenes, the only problem is the carriers have been slow to get it out to their customers. Supposedly now it will be out early next year, but at least those of us with a Pre 2 can use it and see how nice it is, not that prior versions weren't, but this is more polished with more power and features yet, including Flash. It still has a way to go to compete with iOS and Android, but I have no doubt that this gap will shrink a lot in 2011...

Perhaps I'm biased, but I do think that 2011 will be in ENTIRELY different year for HP/Palm than 2010.

OzzyNy
01-07-2011, 07:46 AM
I'd consider this device if tethering is offered for free as with the original pre and pixi.

FatalPuls3
01-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Im hoping that Palm makes a good anouncement on Feb 9th maybe a full touch screen device now that would be sweet

Jam08
01-30-2011, 07:15 PM
sweet news if there will be any updates.. im thinking about my palm unit.. but looking around still..

estew72
02-06-2011, 03:10 PM
I always pay full retail for my phones. I'm pretty much never eligable for upgrades because I buy a new phone every couple months. Recently (the past few months) though, I've only paid full retail for my Droid2 and Galaxy S.

do you (or anyone else for that matter) have any idea what the full retail may end up being for the Pre 2?

Zap2
02-06-2011, 10:29 PM
do you (or anyone else for that matter) have any idea what the full retail may end up being for the Pre 2?

450 for an unlocked Pre 2 with GSM...I assume it would be close to that for Verizon as well...maybe a little more.

drocpsu
02-22-2011, 02:45 PM
any word if the Pre 3 is going to be coming out for the Verizon network? I read a hands-on review on engadget and it seems like the pre3 is the true improvement over the old pre (as opposed the pre 2). Slightly larger, improved screen resolution, and an improved keyboard.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/09/hp-pre-3-first-hands-on/

If so, I would consider getting it at the end of the year when my contract is up (hopefully finally making the jump to a smartphone), as opposed to a droid or iphone.

Jam08
02-22-2011, 09:47 PM
you may check also with timtechs.com, they have the link for that, .

FAUguy
02-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Been using the Verizon Pre 2 for a day now and other than the slight speed increase using the webOS, there's really no big difference that I can see. The body of the device is unchanged, still no memory card slot, and they QWERTY button remain tiny. If you have the Verizon Pre Plus, there's very little incentive in buying the Pre 2.

Oddinary
02-26-2011, 11:35 PM
450 for an unlocked Pre 2 with GSM...I assume it would be close to that for Verizon as well...maybe a little more.
Interestingly VZW is selling the Pre 2 for $410 full retail. A very tempting price, but I'll wait for the Pre 3, given that I owned (and unfortunately lost) the Pre Plus and don't see much difference between the Pre Plus and the Pre 2, other than a slight bump in speed.

lemew
05-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (Tour: Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.1)

Are they ong to offer this phone with he free hotspot at some point?

frail
06-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (Tour: Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.1)

Are they ong to offer this phone with he free hotspot at some point?

I doubt it. The free hotspot with the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus was an incentive to clear out their stock. They bought too many of them and unfortunately they weren't selling very well. I don't think they'll do that again with the Pre 2/3, etc.

lemew
06-13-2011, 02:52 AM
Wirelessly posted (Tour: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

That's too bad. Love web os. The only thing it hangs on is email. I'm stuck between this phone and the blackberry. Since they cut out 1year contracts my upgrade will have to be rock solid for me to want it for two years.

frail
06-15-2011, 03:29 PM
It's possible that Verizon will be getting the Pre 3, so you might be better off waiting a bit instead of using your upgrade on the Pre 2. The Pre 2 isn't a bad device, but webOS 2.0.1 is buggy and the display is too small.

lemew
06-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (Tour: Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5.1; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.1)

good advice. Thanks.