PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Ally vs Vortex?

stormtech
12-24-2010, 11:41 AM
I was about to finally pull the trigger on my first smartphone with the LG Ally for $49 (Verizon) only to find that today it is $99.

In my new search, I found the LG Vortex for $79.

All looks good with the Vortex - don't need the external keyboard.

The only thing that is hanging me up is the preloaded Bing vs. Google app. I am mainly concerned with navigation - looks like the Ally would use Google Maps by default and the Vortex would not.

Would I be able to set the Vortex to use Google Maps as a navigation default?

Thanks - this is very difficult for me as I have never seen or used a smartphone of any kind, but need to replace my ailing 3.5 year old Moto Adventure V750.

Drillbit
12-26-2010, 12:54 AM
On the Vortex you can always download Google Maps from the Market. The first time you will navigate with the two Maps installed a pop up menu will appear, click first, for default action, then click the map of your choice. To clear default, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applicatoins > the map application in question, hit the Clear Defaults button.

shipwrestler125
01-24-2011, 07:29 PM
they both have the same processor i think so the only real difference is whether or not you want a physical keyboard or not

crkeehn
01-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Both are good phones. Recently I found a comparison of the two phones and the reviewer gave the edge to the Vortex. The Ally upgrade to Android 2.2 negates some of the Vortex advantage.

Take a look at both. Is there one that looks and feels better to you? It may boil down to the Vortex virtual keyboard vs the Ally keyboard.

I love my Vortex. I found that the virtual keyboard was easy to get used to, especially as it comes with Swype.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

mel2000
01-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Does the Froyo update allow the Ally to support 3G?