PDA

View Full Version : HTC Trophy Release Thread

deadwrong03
05-26-2011, 05:55 AM
http://i52.tinypic.com/207u7fl.png

Well guys its here finally released

http://phones.verizonwireless.com/htc/trophy/

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?&&item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5635

HTC Trophy is a global Windows Phone 7 device for Verizon Wireless. It has a 1GHz processor, 3.8" WVGA display, 5MP Autofocus camera with LED flash, 720p video recording, 16GB of on-board memory, 576MB RAM / 512MB ROM , FM Radio, and will support DLNA.

After months of delays, false launch dates, and executive noncommittals, the HTC Trophy is finally now available for online order from Verizon Wireless for $150 with 2-year agreement, after $50 mail-in rebate. Verizon is also offering free overnight shipping so you can get your Trophy stat.
We have also finally learned the final details of the free Xbox 360 game deal. Trophy owners will need to go to www.freexboxgamenow.com and enter a code that’s on your phone packaging. You will then choose from three games (Halo:Reach, Kinect Sports or Lode Runner), and the game will be shipped out in “6 to 8 weeks”. Lame.
With the release of the HTC Trophy on Verizon, Windows Phone 7 is now on all four of the major wireless carriers in the United States.

http://wmpoweruser.com/award-yourself-with-the-verizon-trophy-%E2%80%93-available-now/

cbreze
05-27-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm looking forward to hear some user reviews of the trophy.
I wanted to see it for myself, so stopped by my local verizon store and played around a bit. I really wanted to see the browser in action, but alas it had no data connection. There was no wifi within range either so I had to be content with going thru the menus. I do like the whole fluidity of the device, very smooth transitions. I hope to see a release down the road more of a touch pro2 style with that famously fantastic kb. Now that would be sweet. I realize I'm in the minority by not cuddlin' up to the whole touch screen experience. For the most part I'm ok with it until it comes to the kb. I really need that physical feedback. It's way to easy for me to mistype on a virtual and that just bogs me down, even with the auto correct features and word predictions, just drives me nuckin' futs those kb's. I like the platform tho and will investigate maybe picking one up when a real kb comes with it. Who knows, by then maybe it will be LTE equipted. That'd be Sweet

deadwrong03
05-28-2011, 06:39 AM
The browser is buttery smooth I love it I'm usually a physical qwerty guy but this touch screen is amazing I love it. There's a few features I miss but alot of those are coming with the new update this fall. I'll be upgrading to the newer 4g models with front facing cameras whenever they come I'm prepared to pay full retail.
The os is off to a great start and the fb integration is killer. I highly recommend it

I just say every feature is not here yet its a new os give it time to grow and update..the mango update this fall has over 500 new features and should make everyone happy

Sent from my mwp6985 via the HowardForums WP7 App

JoeyDee
05-28-2011, 11:41 AM
The browser is buttery smooth I love it I'm usually a physical qwerty guy but this touch screen is amazing I love it. There's a few features I miss but alot of those are coming with the new update this fall. I'll be upgrading to the newer 4g models with front facing cameras whenever they come I'm prepared to pay full retail.
The os is off to a great start and the fb integration is killer. I highly recommend it

I just say every feature is not here yet its a new os give it time to grow and update..the mango update this fall has over 500 new features and should make everyone happy

Can you check and see if it still connects without the sim?

C DM
05-29-2011, 03:37 AM

Sent from my mwp6985 via the HowardForums WP7 AppAnything in particular that stands out in terms of what you think is missing or isn't quite done as well currently?

JoshEEE
05-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Anything in particular that stands out in terms of what you think is missing or isn't quite done as well currently?

I've got one:

WP7 doesn't seem to support custom ringtones. I've been looking around for a solution online, but it looks like you need to have the SDK if you want to do it, and I don't feel like buying a developer kit just to listen to Weird Al when my phone rings. :-)

Also...Zune plays on the phone don't seem to count towards my playcount on the PC, which is a little weird. When you play songs on your Zune, they upload to the PC whenever you charge it. Not the case with the phone....strange.

This device is great though, I replaced my Droid2 with it and I'm loving all the Xbox Live games I can play now. UI works great, it sucked down all my Droid contacts from Google without me even prompting, and I love the tiles on the main screen. All I need now is some Angry Birds (coming next month) and I'm set.

cbreze
05-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Can you check and see if it still connects without the sim?

It's a world phone and the only reason for the sim is for out of country use on a gsm network. Removing it shouldn't make any diff in the USA.

deadwrong03
05-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Anything in particular that stands out in terms of what you think is missing or isn't quite done as well currently?

theres only a few minor things that i can live without like the Custom Ringtones and multitasking because i know those are coming in the fall with the mango update

i miss being able to use it as a mass storage device, and i miss a file explorer, and being able to download music, albums and mixtapes from my file hosting sites and add them to my library on the phone without needing a computer to do so .

i miss wifi tether a little because i was just starting to use it on my windows mobile but its cool. my complaints are only minor tho i love the phone. If your getting windows phone 7 u have to realize the os is just starting out and hasnt even been out a full year yet but they're off to a fantastic start great ui and i love the wireless sync with zune. Cant wait for the mango update theres suppose to be over 500 new features that it brings and loads of new api's available for developers

cbreze
05-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Deadwrong, is there a screen sensitivity setting? I found when I tried one yesterday it seemed way to easy to make typing errors. Also, I looked in the app store under keyboard options and didn;t see anything better. How do you like the kb?
Also, are you saying you can't tether with it at all or you need the verizon 2gb tether option?

deadwrong03
05-29-2011, 05:04 PM
I like the keyboard my only complaint is when u go to landscape mode it doesn't cover the width of the screen.

I haven't had any keyboards issues and haven't seen any sensitivity settings yet

JoeyDee
05-29-2011, 11:15 PM
It's a world phone and the only reason for the sim is for out of country use on a gsm network. Removing it shouldn't make any diff in the USA.

I ask because Verizon does authentication for CDMA with the sim on the 4G phones :P

I would really appreciate it if a trophy owner can verify this.

cbreze
05-30-2011, 01:23 AM
I ask because Verizon does authentication for CDMA with the sim on the 4G phones :P

I would really appreciate it if a trophy owner can verify this.
The trophy is not 4G tho....

C DM
05-30-2011, 03:33 AM
For those that have used the phone, a few questions about various HTC Trophy alerts/notifications--for things like missed calls, voicemails, SMS/MMS messages, emails, etc.:

1. For any of those items mentioned above, is there a way to have an alert/notification that not only appears on a live tile but in some other place, like a (preview) pop-up of some sort (perhaps even where you can read part of a message that was sent and/or see who called for a missed call)?

2. Is it possible to set any of these alerts/notifications to be repeatable? For example, if you have a missed call or a new text message, but you weren't by your phone when you got it, could you set things up so that it alerts you every few minutes or so if you wanted to?

3. There seems to be a notification LED present on the phone, is it used for anything else other than battery charging notifications (perhaps again for something like missed calls, voicemails, messages, etc.)? Is it configurable in any way?

cbreze
05-30-2011, 01:09 PM
i miss wifi tether a little
I know the phone has no hot spot feature, but do you know if it can tether via the verizon add-on 2gb plan?

deadwrong03
05-30-2011, 01:46 PM
For those that have used the phone, a few questions about various HTC Trophy alerts/notifications--for things like missed calls, voicemails, SMS/MMS messages, emails, etc.:

1. For any of those items mentioned above, is there a way to have an alert/notification that not only appears on a live tile but in some other place, like a (preview) pop-up of some sort (perhaps even where you can read part of a message that was sent and/or see who called for a missed call)?

2. Is it possible to set any of these alerts/notifications to be repeatable? For example, if you have a missed call or a new text message, but you weren't by your phone when you got it, could you set things up so that it alerts you every few minutes or so if you wanted to?

3. There seems to be a notification LED present on the phone, is it used for anything else other than battery charging notifications (perhaps again for something like missed calls, voicemails, messages, etc.)? Is it configurable in any way?

1. When a new text message comes through it pops up at the top of the screen u can read a little bit of the text but not the whole thing if u touch it it will take u to the text message so u can read it. I dont think theres a way to check for missed calls. On Android when something like a text comes u pull the taskbar down to see the notifications that u missed, on wp7 theres no way (that i've seen at least) to view missed notifications i remember reading theres no way to view missed notifications. once they pop up and then disappear they're gone. this needs to be fixed in mango

2. ill have to check again for that one but i didnt see anything on that when i first checked....

3. i havent seen any configuration settings for the LED, and i have new txts and emails now and theres no flashing or anything with the LED going on...

JoeyDee
05-30-2011, 02:54 PM
The trophy is not 4G tho....

Of course it isn't. My point is that NOW that Verizon has the ability to authenticate a phone on its CDMA network with a SIM, why would they only do it for 4G phones? They would technically have the ability to do it on the Global phones as well.

JoeyDee
05-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Ok, I looked at some youtube videos, and it looks like they're still using the Vodafone SIM in the Trophy, most likely it'll have an ESN and the sim wouldn't do anything in the states. Oh well.

C DM
05-31-2011, 12:32 PM
1. When a new text message comes through it pops up at the top of the screen u can read a little bit of the text but not the whole thing if u touch it it will take u to the text message so u can read it. I dont think theres a way to check for missed calls. On Android when something like a text comes u pull the taskbar down to see the notifications that u missed, on wp7 theres no way (that i've seen at least) to view missed notifications i remember reading theres no way to view missed notifications. once they pop up and then disappear they're gone. this needs to be fixed in mango

2. ill have to check again for that one but i didnt see anything on that when i first checked....

3. i havent seen any configuration settings for the LED, and i have new txts and emails now and theres no flashing or anything with the LED going on...Thanks for checking. It's kind of sad that some of these more or less basic and essential phone (not even smartphone) features related to alerts and repeatable alerts are often not there on today's phones, and in particular smartphones that really should be "smarter" than that. In know at least on the Android platform some of that addressed through some of the apps (like one called Missed Reminder or something to that effect), but not so much on the other platforms. Hopefully it will in fact get addressed in some way with an update (be it Mango or possibly some earlier one even).

In terms of notifications for texts or missed calls or things of that nature, are they even gone if you pull down the status tray/bar at the top (to see the battery and signal state)? And do they still show up on the lock screen if you have any new ones, so that at least you can quickly tell just by turning on the screen and glancing at it without doing anything else? I'll probably find out soon enough when the phone gets delivered later today hopefully.

Oh, and as for the LED on the Trophy, as I've been trying to gather some more information about it, it seems that aside from battery related notifications (like when it needs to be charged, charging, or done charging) it seems that it might also work at least for missed calls as well, from what I've come across so far.

DustoMan
05-31-2011, 02:36 PM
If anyone wants to check it out before buying, Verizon has the manual posted on their support site:
http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/htc_trophy/trophy_manual.pdf

deadwrong03
05-31-2011, 09:48 PM
On the wp7 there's no menu to drag down like on Android. When u touch the top the battery level and phone signal shows that's it.

cbreze
06-01-2011, 02:16 PM
For a new release this is kind of a slow moving thread. I guess maybe after the June 2nd availability in-store it will maybe pick up'
I would have gotten this phone but for the lack of tethering ability and no hotspot feature either. Obviously verizon would make money off these features so why would microsoft lock this down? Any ideas?

C DM
06-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Seems like the vibrate feature might have a slight noise to it. For some that's good, for others not so much.

It's too bad you can't turn off/on that haptic vibrate feedback when you press the buttons at the bottom of the phone (back, home, search), and they just do it no matter what state the phone is in basically.

Also noticed that there's a short vibrate alert when you make a call and it connects (even when the phone is not set to the vibrate mode), which is a bit odd.

There's also an audible beep-type of alert (which is somewhat loud) when a call is disconnected--when/if the other party hangs up before you end the call. Also a bit strange, and can't be controlled anywhere as far as I can tell, unfortunately.

C DM
06-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Something else to mention...

Has anyone been experiencing any WiFi connectivity issues--in particular reconnecting to an already saved (previously connected) network when you wake up your phone after a bit of time?

I'm noticing that for some of the networks, after I've already connected and saved the connection information and used WiFi, if I leave my phone for a bit, for example, and then come back and wake it up and start using it again it tries to connect to the same WiFi network but is sometimes (or even often) unable to do it.

This doesn't happen with all the networks, but with some it seems to happen a lot of the time. Sometimes it will reconnect at some point later, other times if I reset the router (assuming it's my network) that might get it reconnected. Kind of strange behavior not being able to do it all the time on all the networks--it's all basically inconsistent to a degree, yet clearly still an issue of some sort.

cbreze
06-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Also noticed that there's a short vibrate alert when you make a call and it connects (even when the phone is not set to the vibrate mode), which is a bit odd.
I had this feature on some of my other devices. Supposed to let you take your phone away from your face and get a quick vibe to let you know your call connected. I guess some like it, I always disabled it and it was under phone answering functions. No clue if disable-able on wp7 or not.

C DM
06-01-2011, 07:25 PM
I had this feature on some of my other devices. Supposed to let you take your phone away from your face and get a quick vibe to let you know your call connected. I guess some like it, I always disabled it and it was under phone answering functions. No clue if disable-able on wp7 or not.I'll have to look into it in terms of it vibrating only if the phone is away from the face (and perhaps similarly for that double beep sound when the call disconnects), perhaps that is the case after all, which would at least be something in terms of sort of "controlling" it, given that it doesn't appear there are any options or apps that would do that.

UPDATE/EDIT:

Going through a few quick tests it looks like the call connect vibrate does in fact only happen if you are not holding the phone by your ear/face when the call connects--basically when the screen is on and you dial a number and the call connects. Good to know about that.

That said, the call disconnect/end double-tone/beep seems to happen no matter what--whether you keep the phone by your ear/face or not and whether the phone is even on vibrate or not. It only happens when the other party disconnects, so it's kind of an alert of sorts, but given that it's somewhat loud where you can hear it through the speaker actually (even if you have the phone set to vibrate mode), it's a rather bad implementation, in particular since it doesn't seem like you can control it in any way either (short of basically ending the calls yourself all the time).

deadwrong03
06-02-2011, 12:57 AM
For a new release this is kind of a slow moving thread. I guess maybe after the June 2nd availability in-store it will maybe pick up'
I would have gotten this phone but for the lack of tethering ability and no hotspot feature either. Obviously verizon would make money off these features so why would microsoft lock this down? Any ideas?i wouldnt say locking it down, they just didnt add those features yet most of them are coming with or after mango

smbishop
06-05-2011, 08:53 PM
I went into my local Verizon store looking for a case. It felt like I was in an Apple store. Every wall and kiosk was devoted to Apple products. When I asked about a case for my Trophy, the reply was: "The Trophy comes with nothing, it is from Microsoft." I left thinking I can certainly shop on-line and never visit that store again.

deadwrong03
06-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Yea I went for a screen protector and no store had anything I tried 5 vzw stores

GadgetTron
06-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Has anyone else expearienced a loose battery cover? Nothing excessive, but slight movment on the left side of the phone (next to the pull notch).

deadwrong03
06-09-2011, 10:35 AM
im noticing that on the top left on the back of my phone nothing major but somewhat noticeable

C DM
06-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Looks like Microsoft is now selling some of the Windows Phone phones directly for just $0.01, and the HTC Trophy for Veirzon is one of them: http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/08/several-windows-phones-now-just-1%C2%A2-direct-from-microsoft/

GadgetTron
06-09-2011, 07:53 PM
im noticing that on the top left on the back of my phone nothing major but somewhat noticeable

Thanks deadwrong03! Anyone else with this? Im glad to know that im not the only one with this quirk! :) I want to know if taking the cover off and putting it back on might fix it, or make it worse.