PDA

View Full Version : Verizon 45,000 Verizon Workers Go On Strike

wanabehacker
08-07-2011, 02:26 PM
45,000 Verizon Workers Go On Strike Over Contract

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/45000-verizon-union-workers-strike-contract-disputes/story?id=14250354

veriztd
08-07-2011, 02:30 PM
This post might get more attention if a link to the source of the story was included.

UrbanBounca
08-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Screw them, they're lucky to have a job with any benefits at all.

HF305
08-07-2011, 04:47 PM
The striking workers are from the part of the company that handles landline phones, DSL, FiOS, etc. Wireless is not affected by the strike.

themanhimself
08-07-2011, 05:07 PM
That explains what I saw this morning at the wireline building. Around 15 employees were standing outside looking like they were getting ready to picket or something similar.

veriztd
08-07-2011, 05:35 PM
I predict the nation's unemployment totals going up by about 45,000 unless a compromise is made soon. Bad time to go on strike with the current economy.

UrbanBounca
08-07-2011, 06:22 PM
I predict the nation's unemployment totals going up by about 45,000 unless a compromise is made soon. Bad time to go on strike with the current economy.

Unions remind me of the mafia. They hold a company hostage until they get what they want, regardless of how unfair the contract may be.

If they terminate 45,000 people, they're looking at a huge lawsuit for anything from racism to promotion without raise.

FAUguy
08-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Ah yes, another "news" story about Class Warfare.
"Why is it not the top management giving back, when my CEO brings home $23 million in one year, I have a problem with that, but you want to take away my pensions, my medical benefits?"

"Verizon says its wireline business has been declining for the past decade, and as a result it is asking employees to contribute to their health plans among other concessions. The company says it is willing to work with the unions to to come up with an agreement that meets the needs of all parties."

Gorilla
08-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Im considering dumping my excellent verizon service and going with virgin mobile..

I dont have a job at all, and expenses are mounting..

Luckily im out of contract...

I hope I can atleast get a part time job soon.

nikecar
08-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Im considering dumping my excellent verizon service and going with virgin mobile..

I dont have a job at all, and expenses are mounting..

Luckily im out of contract...

I hope I can atleast get a part time job soon.

Move to philly. They feel cellular is a right and their local goverment will now provide free cellular to certain poor segments so they can focus on paying the car bill and day care, and have one less bill to worry about.

A RIGHT!!!! To several million people with tax money. What did we do prior to affording phones....

Sent from my ADR6350 using HowardForums

Moderator HF 9
08-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Thread moved, this is not VerizonWireless related.

tim33
08-07-2011, 08:43 PM
I can see this becoming a political debate. I just had the feeling the unions were going to be attacked.

Nodakawa
08-09-2011, 06:25 AM
Unions remind me of the mafia. They hold a company hostage until they get what they want, regardless of how unfair the contract may be.

If they terminate 45,000 people, they're looking at a huge lawsuit for anything from racism to promotion without raise.

I thought you wanted to join a police force a while back. Was the idea of the union that stopped you?

jon341427
08-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Am I missing something?

Verizon wireless employees pay for benefits and don't get a pension. Why should landline employees get all these benefits? Especially since tons of landline employees do nothing but sit around in there trucks half the day because they have an alotted time for each job and have no incentive to finish it early and move on to the next job? I work for wireless and we have countless complaints about installers and customer service. Wireline gives wireless a bad name so change need to be made. I am happy verizon isn't and wont be backing down.

kevink1955
08-16-2011, 09:22 PM
They took the day off yesterday, no picketing in the rain. They are also picketing the wireless stores on LI, guess they are confused.

Jon341427, you are right about sitting in the truck till the alloted time is used up. They are not the model of productivity by any means

codekill
08-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Am I missing something?

Verizon wireless employees pay for benefits and don't get a pension. Why should landline employees get all these benefits? Especially since tons of landline employees do nothing but sit around in there trucks half the day because they have an alotted time for each job and have no incentive to finish it early and move on to the next job? I work for wireless and we have countless complaints about installers and customer service. Wireline gives wireless a bad name so change need to be made. I am happy verizon isn't and wont be backing down.

Lol You must be a young buck with nothing to loose.

You know nothing continue to work your wireless non protected job.
Sent from my SPH-P100 using HowardForums

gvillager
08-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Lol You must be a young buck with nothing to loose.

You know nothing continue to work your wireless non protected job.
Sent from my SPH-P100 using HowardForums

"Protected Jobs" are part of the problem because it encourages laziness. They lay off thousands every year, so are the jobs really protected?

The CEO, executives, and the rest of the suits are still overpaid.

jseah
08-16-2011, 10:20 PM
They took the day off yesterday, no picketing in the rain. They are also picketing the wireless stores on LI, guess they are confused.

Jon341427, you are right about sitting in the truck till the alloted time is used up. They are not the model of productivity by any means

I was driving by a VZ wireless store in NJ today and there was one guy holding a picket sign standing in front of the store.

hwertz
08-20-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm off in Kansas City at a community FM conference, and the news came in that the local CWA chapter is picketing the VZW store here, about 50 or 60 people.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using HowardForums

veriztd
08-20-2011, 10:29 PM
How about posting some pictures or the strikers ??

jseah
08-21-2011, 12:39 AM
The news reported that they're not longer picketing and are going back to work.

Sent from my ADR6400L using HowardForums

wireless247
08-21-2011, 02:01 AM
Verizon employees are among the best paid in the industry. Why they complaining? :confused:

ilvla2
08-21-2011, 05:42 AM
Verizon employees are among the best paid in the industry. Why they complaining? :confused:

I sense a corporate plant.

Yankees368
08-21-2011, 08:46 AM
there were probably near 100 employees at the Lawrence NY store on Long Island. Really screwed up traffic!

Moderator HF 9
08-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Threads merged

cellbot414
08-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Verizon workers are complaining because they are the unlimited bread and butter of the company and they want their fair share. Verizon makes billions of dollars a year. Break bread with your employees

Sent from my DROIDX using HowardForums