• Antennagate Plagues HTC One?

    Man, Sprint can't get a break!

    HTC’s conscious decision to focus on premium design for its HTC One flagship may come with an unintended consequenc: reception problem if the phone is held a certain way. Though we haven’t been able to confirm if the problem affects all global and U.S. releases of the HTC One, we have found–and are able to repeat–the problem on at least two Sprint Nextel HTC One units, one in theSan Francisco Bay Area and another in the New York Metropolitan Area.
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/04...ttaBeMobile%29
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Antennagate Plagues HTC One (Video) started by CA View original post
    Comments 24 Comments
    1. SFgal's Avatar
      SFgal -
      not good for HTC....
    1. neftv's Avatar
      neftv -
      Seems like HTC always has one problem,or another with their phones. Back when I tried to upgrade to a Titan over a month period 3 Titans had the same issues (call quality and random power cycling). Glad I returned it. All their phones look nice and the one is no exception but these design issues should have been beaten to death ages ago.
      Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 via the HowardForums WP7 App
    1. NGeorge's Avatar
      NGeorge -
      I don't understand how phones with bad RF can get released... You'd think that before they sign off on the thing, someone takes it out and well, USES it for a few days or a week... it's then pretty easy to say "this one gets less signal than my other one in this location".
    1. sectime's Avatar
      sectime -
      Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
      I don't understand how phones with bad RF can get released... You'd think that before they sign off on the thing, someone takes it out and well, USES it for a few days or a week... it's then pretty easy to say "this one gets less signal than my other one in this location".
      Maybe no left-handers work in testing dept.
    1. 503ducati's Avatar
      503ducati -
      Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
      Ouch! that's gonna hurt HTC.


      Late last week, we had reported that in Sprint markets where 4G LTE towers are live but where Sprint has not announced an LTE launch, the HTC One was stuck connecting to Sprint’s older and slower 3G network and could not connect to LTE. Again, in San Francisco, I had both the Sprint Galaxy S4 from Samsung and the HTC One side by side and the Galaxy S4 was able to hop onto LTE without glitch while the HTC One chugged along on 3G.
    1. milan03's Avatar
      milan03 -
      I have no issues with T-Mobile unit. This is probably just a lemon.
    1. CA's Avatar
      CA -
      Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
      I have no issues with T-Mobile unit. This is probably just a lemon.
      [h=T-Mobile losing its grip on smartphone sales as Sprint reaps the benefit]1[/h]
      OUCH! Gut punch.
      http://bgr.com/2013/04/29/sprint-t-m...nius+Report%29
    1. milan03's Avatar
      milan03 -
      Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
      Besides your post being off-topic, it also doesn't change the fact that Sprint's HTC One variants suffer from Antenna Gate.
    1. CA's Avatar
      CA -
      Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
      Besides your post being off-topic, it also doesn't change the fact that Sprint's HTC One variants suffer from Antenna Gate.
      Thanks for letting me know, I will now poke myself in the eye!

      Lemon:
      http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...es-bad-signal/

      http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1688538

      http://htconexproblems.blogspot.com/

      Lemon phone, yea I see what you mean {sic}.
    1. brad15's Avatar
      brad15 -
      I have a Sprint HTC one and granted I've received it yesterday but mine works fine. Although, maybe it's because i'm right handed?
    1. bob1xxx's Avatar
      bob1xxx -
      Really why is anybody shock ? HTC like Apple came very late to the cell phone design/ manufacturing game. HTC like Apple are all about looks/software design but both have with very little experience making real telecommunications deceives. It is design fails like this is why I never pre release order new phone I always wait usually a few weeks to months before I buy a new model to read end users reviews not the hand job reviews published by sites like howards, phone dog , Arena, scoop . Again lets look at what makes apples Iphones such dodgy phones..... bad antenna placement and sex looking but rf absorbing aluminum frames. HTC mostly plastic phone have had well know rf reception problems now wrap there same crappy hardware in a aluminum package = monster fail as a reliable Telco deceive . And folks wonder why I buy Motorola cell phones.
    1. ijcy's Avatar
      ijcy -
      Quote Originally Posted by bob1xxx View Post
      Really why is anybody shock ? HTC like Apple came very late to the cell phone design/ manufacturing game. HTC like Apple are all about looks/software design but both have with very little experience making real telecommunications deceives. It is design fails like this is why I never pre release order new phone I always wait usually a few weeks to months before I buy a new model to read end users reviews not the hand job reviews published by sites like howards, phone dog , Arena, scoop . Again lets look at what makes apples Iphones such dodgy phones..... bad antenna placement and sex looking but rf absorbing aluminum frames. HTC mostly plastic phone have had well know rf reception problems now wrap there same crappy hardware in a aluminum package = monster fail as a reliable Telco deceive . And folks wonder why I buy Motorola cell phones.
      Lol, i still wonder why you buy Motorola in 2013.
    1. NGeorge's Avatar
      NGeorge -
      I have to admit that I've NEVER had a Motorola device with crappy RF... going alll the way back to my first StarTAC and v60, they've been great. My buddies with an original Photon and a Razr Maxx have absolutely no complaints either.

      My current PhotonQ is great (comparing to other Sprint phones... about -4 db stronger than my old Samsung Epic, -5 stronger than the Galaxy Nexus's at work, -10 better than the Nexus S, and about-2 better than my BB Bold, and about the same as an iPhone)

      Although I wish Sprint could get some of the better Moto phones (my PhotonQ admittedly feels crippled from what it could have been) -- you have to admit that Moto is absolutely the best when it comes to engineering a radio...

      I *immediately* noticed the RF improvement when I got my PhotonQ after years of carrying Samsungs and HTC's... I don't know why it's so hard for the other manufacturers to match their RF performance... Samsung in particular, which has always had a lousy RF reputation on Sprint (especially before 2006 when they were absolutely god awful) I'm slobbering over an HTC One, but the complaints about it's RF performance are already rearing their head, so I'm contemplating waiting for the next Motorola...
    1. larryt510's Avatar
      larryt510 -
      I have never been impressed by the RF on the three Sprint Motorola's that I have used. They weren't bad but they were nothing special either. In my opinion LG has produced some of the best RF phones for Sprint. The LX-350, Rumor 2 and Rumor Touch were RF beasts. The first Rumor not so much.
      I would also take some of the old Sanyo phones like the 4900 over just about anything else. That phone had killer RF.

      Sent from my LG-LS970 using HowardForums
    1. bob1xxx's Avatar
      bob1xxx -
      Quote Originally Posted by ijcy View Post
      Lol, i still wonder why you buy Motorola in 2013.
      Easy Motorola phones haven't failed me yet . I've got a droid Razr Maxx and it works great . I have yet to have missed or not be able to place a call or text anywhere where there is at least 2 bars of 4g, 3g or the old 1rt cdma signal. It works as a phone and a texting machine because motorola has been in the cell phone business back in the day when car phone set ups took 2/3 Lincoln Continentals trunk. I sorry but every Motorola cell I have owned work great . When friends struggle to make there POS iphones , HTC's work and fail they usually start blather on ab out their phones great camera and then they ask if they can make the call on my "un sexy , un cool motorola
    1. ijcy's Avatar
      ijcy -
      Quote Originally Posted by bob1xxx View Post
      Easy Motorola phones haven't failed me yet . I've got a droid Razr Maxx and it works great . I have yet to have missed or not be able to place a call or text anywhere where there is at least 2 bars of 4g, 3g or the old 1rt cdma signal. It works as a phone and a texting machine because motorola has been in the cell phone business back in the day when car phone set ups took 2/3 Lincoln Continentals trunk. I sorry but every Motorola cell I have owned work great . When friends struggle to make there POS iphones , HTC's work and fail they usually start blather on ab out their phones great camera and then they ask if they can make the call on my "un sexy , un cool motorola
      The fact that Moto has been around is true, but so has Nokia, remember them? Now that Google bought Moto they should make it work but till now they started making phones that didn't deserve their name IMHO.
    1. bob1xxx's Avatar
      bob1xxx -
      Quote Originally Posted by ijcy View Post
      The fact that Moto has been around is true, but so has Nokia, remember them? Now that Google bought Moto they should make it work but till now they started making phones that didn't deserve their name IMHO.

      Yes but google was smart, instead of being like apple having to reinvent the wheel like the did with the Iphone and suffered a lot of rookie mistakes. Google gone out and bought expertise and the pattens with a experienced team of professionals who have a good track record of creating solid cell phone designs . It will save google billions and a lot face plants when they start manufacturing google brand phones.
    1. pcsfan's Avatar
      pcsfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by larryt510 View Post
      I have never been impressed by the RF on the three Sprint Motorola's that I have used. They weren't bad but they were nothing special either. In my opinion LG has produced some of the best RF phones for Sprint. The LX-350, Rumor 2 and Rumor Touch were RF beasts. The first Rumor not so much.
      I would also take some of the old Sanyo phones like the 4900 over just about anything else. That phone had killer RF.

      Sent from my LG-LS970 using HowardForums
      The Sanyo phones at this point are from a different era and mean nothing.The 4900 was a bulky brick with a long whip external antenna.Nothing in common with todays modern hardware.LG was right there with Samsung in the subpar RF department.As a rule they made junk and their sales numbers supported it. Sanyos were very weak at 800 MHz CDMA hence Verizon never used them.
    1. larryt510's Avatar
      larryt510 -
      Quote Originally Posted by pcsfan View Post
      The Sanyo phones at this point are from a different era and mean nothing.The 4900 was a bulky brick with a long whip external antenna.Nothing in common with todays modern hardware.LG was right there with Samsung in the subpar RF department.As a rule they made junk and their sales numbers supported it. Sanyos were very weak at 800 MHz CDMA hence Verizon never used them.
      I was talking about which phones/brands I remembered as having the best RF from a historical level. I wasn't trying to compare them with today's phones.

      I go by what my own experiences are/were and not by what others opinions are. LG had consistently given me the best performace on a number of models and I still have the same opinion on the latest LG models I've used. I compared them all with both actual usage as well as debug mode RF testing.

      Samsung depended on the model. Some worked well and others sucked. I never used Nokia.

      Yes Sanyos sucked at 800 Mhz CDMA performance while roaming and it seemed like they were never able to fix that.
    1. NGeorge's Avatar
      NGeorge -
      Quote Originally Posted by larryt510 View Post
      I was talking about which phones/brands I remembered as having the best RF from a historical level. I wasn't trying to compare them with today's phones.

      I go by what my own experiences are/were and not by what others opinions are. LG had consistently given me the best performace on a number of models and I still have the same opinion on the latest LG models I've used. I compared them all with both actual usage as well as debug mode RF testing.

      Samsung depended on the model. Some worked well and others sucked. I never used Nokia.

      Yes Sanyos sucked at 800 Mhz CDMA performance while roaming and it seemed like they were never able to fix that.
      Yeah I remember my 4900 fondly as well... the RF on that thing was awesome for 1900... as was my 5300 (still not as great as as the 4900, but for a flip phone it was great) as well as my VM4500. ...and your right, the 850 absolutely, and totally BLEW--which I thought was weird since 850 was usually stronger than 1900. Back then most of the roaming was analog, and while my Moto or Samsung phones could actually hold a decent fairly clear conversation while roaming analog and were pretty much crystal clear with anything 3 bars or above, the Sanyos were absolutely horrid--even with 4 bars of signal, analog roaming was god awful. Not only was it a staticy mess, but the Sanyo phones didn't suppress the static well, so it was much louder than usual. When my 5300 and VM4500's finally got CDMA 850 roaming in the PRL the digital roaming sucked as well.

      Samsungs up until around 2008 were the absolute opposite -- My A460, A600 and A620 and my buddy's N240 and N400 all had HORRIBLE native reception on Sprint... Before the Airave I lived in a house for a couple years that had marginal Sprint reception, so this was important. Any Samsung had 0-1 bars of native service and making a call was pretty much useless -- the Sanyos on the other hand had 2 - 3 bars, as well as my friend's Verizon v60 which roamed on Sprint here (before they launched their own native PCS service here) -- and the calls were crystal clear. Analog/digital roaming on Samsung phones were great though. A number of people here on the forums at the time always debated this, but with my experience at least, Samsungs had god awful RF... Even today they're just mediocre as far as RF, but after 2008 they at least did something to get a little bit more parity between 1900/850...

      I'm wondering if this had to do with the fact that at that time it was harder to universally tune a phone to have equal sensitivity between bands... It just always bothered me that Sanyo phones were tuned better to 1900 which was native Sprint service--which was the whole point, while Samsung phones were tuned more for 850--which wasn't the best when your native service is on 1900.

      Even today I wouldn't necessarily think this would be the worst thing in the world -- since Sprint is a 1900 carrier, why can't they source more phones (or get the manufacturers to develop them) that are tuned to get as much signal as they possibly can on 1900, even if it means a few db less signal on 850? It seems like after Kyocera bought out Sanyo they "neutralized" the tuning -- and with Sprint wanting to reduce their dependance on roaming, a few extra db for native frequencies wouldn't be the worst thing ever -- back in the day the difference between a Sanyo phone or a Samsung phone would mean "Sprint is awesome" or "Sprint sucks!"

      I realize with 800 SMR coming out, it might be harder to do on both fronts -- but I wonder if with newer technology they could "peak" the phones on 1900 and SMR.

      Nat
  • Sponsored By

  • Facebook

  • Recent Reviews

  • Recent Forum Posts

    canon_

    I just got a response from my support ticket. ...

    I just got a response from my support ticket.

    I haven't received a promotional email yet and responded to the ticket saying so.

    canon_ Today, 01:42 PM Go to last post
    PA20

    Looking for data/talk for trip to Canada

    Anyone have any suggestions for data/talk solutions that work in Canada? I will be traveling there in a few months for 12 days. I need about 5gb of data and 200 minutes of talk.

    I have a Samsung...

    PA20 Today, 01:37 PM Go to last post
    veriztd

    You should contact Boost Mobile customer service...

    You should contact Boost Mobile customer service for the answer. I can't give you a satisfactory answer because I don't know and neither does the HOFO community at this point.

    veriztd Today, 01:33 PM Go to last post
    PaulD63

    Maybe a redpocket sim will work?

    Maybe a redpocket sim will work?

    PaulD63 Today, 01:29 PM Go to last post
    Yeswap

    The Unreal help page with instructions for...

    The Unreal help page with instructions for setting up Unreal SIMs https://www.unrealmobile.com/apn has been updated to include information specific to Premium Voice. The page makes it clear that...

    Yeswap Today, 01:29 PM Go to last post