• Bell will Now Unlock Phones for Non-Customers



    The CBC reported yesterday that Bell has officially expanded its phone unlocking policy to include devices not currently associated with an active account—in other words, second-hand phones intended for use on another network.

    A CRTC mandate had ordered all carriers in Canada to drop unlocking fees as of December 1st, 2017; Bell apparently decided that this ruling didn't apply to non-customer hardware, which non-customers only found out when they tried to get their used phones unlocked:

    In December, Dean Belanger contacted the telecom to get a second-hand Bell-locked phone unlocked for free. But when he called Bell, he says he was turned down because he had never had an account with the telecom.

    Belanger says he ended up getting the device unlocked by calling Virgin Mobile — which is owned by Bell — and pretending that a past Virgin account he had was tied to his Bell-locked phone.
    "I was quite surprised that they wouldn't do it unless I had an account," said Sophia Irons, who tried in December to get Bell to unlock a Bell-locked phone she had bought on Kijiji.

    She ended up requesting help from friends on Facebook, and managed to find a Bell customer willing to call the telecom and get her phone unlocked.
    A representative from Bell told the CBC that the carrier has implemented a system of further checks to ensure that any non-customer device was not stolen or linked to a delinquent account. This was their previous justification for refusing to unlock their phones for other networks.

    Source: CBC

    ---------
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Free Unlocking (Bell-Virgin-Solo) started by qag01 View original post
    Comments 24 Comments
    1. TwitchyPuppy's Avatar
      TwitchyPuppy -
      It’s supposed to be like that.
      I’m pretty sure they’ll squeeze their brain to find a way to bend the law. They definitely won’t stay there with their arms crossed!


      Sent from my iPhone 8 Plus on Bell’s network using Tapatalk Pro
    1. bb147's Avatar
      bb147 -
      I wonder if Bell will require an active account to unlock. I have a MIFI device from a while back that I want to get unlocked but am no longer with Bell.
    1. TwitchyPuppy's Avatar
      TwitchyPuppy -
      Quote Originally Posted by bb147 View Post
      I wonder if Bell will require an active account to unlock. I have a MIFI device from a while back that I want to get unlocked but am no longer with Bell.
      Most probably! We’ll find out soon enough, though!


      Sent from my iPhone 8 Plus on Bell’s network using Tapatalk Pro
    1. can3gxw's Avatar
      can3gxw -
      Can anyone confirm if Bell/Virgin will provide unlock codes for phones that are no longer on their networks? I have a (mostly) working Galaxy S3 (from Bell) and a Hauwei phone from Virgin that I'd love to have unlocked... they're sitting in my office drawer right now.
    1. jattdesi's Avatar
      jattdesi -
      ^I have UNLOCKED about 8 Phones since December 1 with Fido, Telus, Freedom but this nightmare of a company called Bhell gave me such a hard time. I have about 8 Flip Phones & 2 smartphones that need to be unlocked. Looks like for each one I will have to file a CCTS complain.
    1. can3gxw's Avatar
      can3gxw -
      Quote Originally Posted by jattdesi View Post
      ^I have UNLOCKED about 8 Phones since December 1 with Fido, Telus, Freedom but this nightmare of a company called Bhell gave me such a hard time. I have about 8 Flip Phones & 2 smartphones that need to be unlocked. Looks like for each one I will have to file a CCTS complain.
      What was their reason? Did you just call the CS line and ask for the unlock code? I'm going to give it a shot later on (now that the weekend is over) and just want to see how it goes. So you were able to unlock "non active" phones?
    1. Mr.Peppermint's Avatar
      Mr.Peppermint -
      Quote Originally Posted by can3gxw View Post
      Can anyone confirm if Bell/Virgin will provide unlock codes for phones that are no longer on their networks? I have a (mostly) working Galaxy S3 (from Bell) and a Hauwei phone from Virgin that I'd love to have unlocked... they're sitting in my office drawer right now.
      The rule is line must be active as per wireless code
    1. qag01's Avatar
      qag01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
      The rule is line must be active as per wireless code
      That is complete Bulls**t! What an easy way for them to continue to circumvent what should have been occurring in the first place

      Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app
    1. pjw918's Avatar
      pjw918 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
      The rule is line must be active as per wireless code
      No, this is not specified in the Code itself (F.1.Unlocking).

      But, the CRTC has explained why active service can indeed be a requirement of the provider.
      http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...5#post16936745

      Bell requires an active account with them to unlock on request, not necessarily one associated with the device.
      "Any account will do." See the 'Unlock without account?' post above.

      CCTS won't be able to help with this.

      Know anyone with Bell service?
    1. Mr.Peppermint's Avatar
      Mr.Peppermint -
      Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
      Know anyone with Bell service?
      Either way care to bet Bell makes it as difficult as they possibly can

      EG Well Mr pjw918 we can see that IMEI you are trying to unlock is not associated with your account. Prove you bought it now or we will blacklist it to protect poor Mr qag01 who you must have stolen it from
    1. jattdesi's Avatar
      jattdesi -
      Quote Originally Posted by can3gxw View Post
      What was their reason? Did you just call the CS line and ask for the unlock code? I'm going to give it a shot later on (now that the weekend is over) and just want to see how it goes. So you were able to unlock "non active" phones?
      Bell/Virgin unlocking is done by there Fraud/Security Department, so after being on Hold for 3+ Hour's 3 times there so called Fraud Department tells me they are unable to open up Virgin Prepaid Accounts in there system which is What I am Doing. Just out of Hatered of this corporation I am going to File a CCTS complain if they give me the Run around with other old phones. I have already filled one about this incident.
    1. bb147's Avatar
      bb147 -
      Tried to unlock a LTE internet stick and HSPA Mifi device on the bell self-serve portal with my prepaid account.

      One says "The IMEI number provided was found but the device cannot be unlocked at this time."

      The other "The IMEI number you provided was found but your transaction cannot be completed as requested. For further assistance, please call 1 800 667-0123."

      wtf?
    1. Mr.Peppermint's Avatar
      Mr.Peppermint -
      @bb147 ah yes that sounds more like Bell
    1. jattdesi's Avatar
      jattdesi -
      Quote Originally Posted by bb147 View Post
      Tried to unlock a LTE internet stick and HSPA Mifi device on the bell self-serve portal with my prepaid account.

      One says "The IMEI number provided was found but the device cannot be unlocked at this time."

      The other "The IMEI number you provided was found but your transaction cannot be completed as requested. For further assistance, please call 1 800 667-0123."

      wtf?
      Yeah sounds like Bhell, Hopefully your experience with them is better then mine when you call them to unlock it. I am prepared to File a CCTS complain for each old Bhell Phones that I have.
    1. can3gxw's Avatar
      can3gxw -
      So - after 25 minutes with customer service (I have two phones - one from Bell and one from Virgin) I was given an error code for each phone and was asked to call their "unlocking department" at 877-543-2064. I am thinking that she probably tried herself but they're busy and she didn't want her resolution time to suffer for a "non client".

      Called the number and was told by recording "we are experiencing a higher than normal call volume" (no d-uh...) - waited on hold listening to crappy music for about 15 minutes then hung up.

      I'll try again in the morning and let everyone know.
    1. can3gxw's Avatar
      can3gxw -
      Just called them and left it on speakerphone while on hold. Customer Service was zero help, but the Unlock guy I just spoke to gave me my code (for my Galaxy S3) in under 5 minutes after verifying my old account info. The old Hauwei phone can't be unlocked. We bought it about 3-4 years ago from Loblaws (Superstore) as an "off the shelf prepaid phone" that was never registered as being sold. He told me if I could provide him the receipt then he'd update it. As per their system, it's still available to be sold. Thanks, Loblaws.

      Oh well - one out of two ain't bad I suppose. It actually went over pretty well. You just need to have your receipts as proof of purchase if it was never registered on their system.
    1. shiftyON's Avatar
      shiftyON -
      One of the phones on my account had a dialogue to Unlock Phone in it’s properties. I used the dialogue to unlock that device as well as an old 4s which is no longer active. I also entered the imei info for my tablet, which I know is unlocked and received a message that the device was recognized and to call customer service.
    1. kav2001c's Avatar
      kav2001c -
      Quote Originally Posted by can3gxw View Post
      Just called them and left it on speakerphone while on hold. Customer Service was zero help, but the Unlock guy I just spoke to gave me my code (for my Galaxy S3) in under 5 minutes after verifying my old account info. The old Hauwei phone can't be unlocked. We bought it about 3-4 years ago from Loblaws (Superstore) as an "off the shelf prepaid phone" that was never registered as being sold. He told me if I could provide him the receipt then he'd update it. As per their system, it's still available to be sold. Thanks, Loblaws.

      Oh well - one out of two ain't bad I suppose. It actually went over pretty well. You just need to have your receipts as proof of purchase if it was never registered on their system.
      Go back to the Loblaws
      If they made error they can fix error
    1. can3gxw's Avatar
      can3gxw -
      Quote Originally Posted by kav2001c View Post
      Go back to the Loblaws
      If they made error they can fix error
      Right. No proof of purchase on a prepaid phone from 5 years ago. Not likely to happen. If I kept my receipt Bell would have accepted it and unlocked that phone too.
    1. pjw918's Avatar
      pjw918 -
      PIAC challenges CRTC re: non-customer unlock requests
      http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...3#post16938243