Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Verizon's New TV Ad Violates Terms of Service?

Feedback Score

Verizon's New TV Ad Violates Terms of Service?

From PCS Intel:

Verizon's New TV Ad Violates Terms of Service?

Verizon Wireless
    Written by Christopher Price
    Tuesday, 24 October 2006
    Verizon Wireless has a new Motorola Q TV advertisement out. It shows the Q doing a lot of different things, including what appears to be streaming video.

Problem is, this violates the Verizon Wireless smart device terms of service. Under Verizon's terms of service, no data card, PDA, or smartphone can stream video over the network. Standard Verizon phones are permitted however to stream video over Verizon's V CAST mobile video service. Such a service is not available on Smart Devices, such as the Moto Q.

Per Verizon's BroadbandAccess/NationalAccess terms of service: "Unlimited NationalAccess/BroadbandAccess services cannot be used (1) for uploading, downloading or streaming of movies, music or games..."

This is not the first time Verizon has stumbled over this portion of their TOS. A previous TV ad spot for Verizon's HTC XV6600 featured the device streaming CNN in what appeared to be a live manner. While Verizon may be able to respond saying that these were local streams, and not over the network... the advertisement disputes even that. All other features in these ad spots were transacted over Verizon's "It's The Network" moniker.

As this article was going to press, Verizon did indeed confirm in a statement to PCS Intel that the TV ad demonstrated video playing from the device, and not streaming, despite all other features shown in the ad taking place over-the-internet.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Look, Verizon will say anything to get you as a customer. How many people are going to notice this? If they do not notice a decline in sales, then they will do whatever they please. Dell has the same mentality. Big business looks for ways to squeeze every cent they can out of your wallet. As long as it doesn't hurt sales then, it won't change.

The only way VZW is going to relax any of thier policies is when they start seeing an increase churn, or fewer people signing up for their service. Unfortunately, here in California, VZW is the only carrier that works where I want it to, so I really don't have a choice. I would also love to use the data feature on my phone, or possibly have a data card for my laptop, but thier high prices, and restrictions on what I can do with my "unlimited" data are not something I do not want to pay for.
    Contribute to the VZW Blackberry GPS Unlocking Prize.

Track the contest Progress!
    http://cracktheberry.blogspot.com/

Device(s)
    Android/Linux
    Feedback Score
    Talk about splitting hairs; just port to a data friendly carrier.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Kind of ironic. Not a big deal, though. Hell, had it not been for this thread, I doubt I would have noticed.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+, iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Would this qualify as false advertisement?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maskevich
    Would this qualify as false advertisement?
    Don't say that!! Someone will come up with some scheme to try and use this to get out of the ETF.

Feedback Score
    Uh, the Q can play video without streaming. In fact, many find it pretty cool to play video clips that have been stored on the memory card....some even put entire movies on their Q's.

Some seem to start crap just to start it....
    Freedom Isn't Free

Device(s)
    Nexus 4 (CM 10)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    what about the fact that they say "you can make your phone a music player....only from verizon wireless!" ....really? i swear ive seen many other carriers and manufacturers advertising phones with music players? i must have been dreaming

you know...i actually just read over verizons customer agreement to see what was actually in it and i noticed some other things they clearly violate:
    Quote Originally Posted by Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement
    (d) lying to us;
    (i) modifying your wireless phone from its manufacturer's specifications;
    part d: -unlimited evdo? i dont think so. -we NEVER stop working for you? besides when its football, soccer, or basketball season...woops sorry our schedules just filled up. -see first post.
    part i: -why wont bluetooth let me transfer files like my tmobile phone did? -i dont really like the red theme, what happened to the nice blue one my old samsung had? -i swear LG said this phone could play MP3s on their website

and another part that surprised me was it said using repeaters, amplifiers, or any other equipment to strengthen RF signals is grounds for canceling the contract...so basically theyre saying if you dont get service...tough...and if you try then you just wont have verizon anymore because you couldnt be satisfied with no service
    Last edited by greenlime812; 10-24-2006 at 05:03 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlime812
    part d: -unlimited evdo? i dont think so. -we NEVER stop working for you? besides when its football, soccer, or basketball season...woops sorry our schedules just filled up. -see first post.
    i seen first post, and still dont get that one.. here in Columbus, Verizon is the ONLY carrier to work reliably when at a concert or sporting event.. i know when i had Cingular and Nextel, when i was at a bluejackets game when the house was full, niether my Nextel or Cingular phone would work properly, usually just got System Busy.. since the move back to Verizon, my phone always works in there, even though 90% of the people i see walking around in there have Verizon!

and another part that surprised me was it said using repeaters, amplifiers, or any other equipment to strengthen RF signals is grounds for canceling the contract...so basically theyre saying if you dont get service...tough...and if you try then you just wont have verizon anymore because you couldnt be satisfied with no service.
    That's just in there because some repeaters can cause problems with the network, and if they find out it's yours they will usually warn you, but if you continue to use it, they will terminate you.. let me see ANY wireless carrier let you get away with using something that interferes with their network operations!
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Feedback Score
    It bears mentioning that the screens you see on the TV ads are not real either... They're simulated images (partly because real phone screen images wouldn't look so good on camera), and it says so in the small print at the bottom of the screen. I never assume any electronic device will ever have anything on its screen that remotely resembles what was on the commercial.

Device(s)
    Dare (personal)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CSOKI Mike
    It bears mentioning that the screens you see on the TV ads are not real either... They're simulated images (partly because real phone screen images wouldn't look so good on camera), and it says so in the small print at the bottom of the screen. I never assume any electronic device will ever have anything on its screen that remotely resembles what was on the commercial.
    So wait. Does putting a simulated screen on my pda violate the TOS or no?
    *Insert clever and/or witty comment here*

The opinions/statements contained herein are those of me, myself, and I only. They do not necessarily represent those of any wireless company. There..covered my ***.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4 (CM 10)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SpectralFx
    So wait. Does putting a simulated screen on my pda violate the TOS or no?
    apparently as long as it doesnt "interfere with manufacturer specifications"...which verizon probably already did anyway for you so....i guess not?

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8703e
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Calhoun
    Don't say that!! Someone will come up with some scheme to try and use this to get out of the ETF.
    all ya gotta do is have a legit issue, keep complaining about it, and make sure its not resolved on the first time you call in...keep calling in, eventually ask for a super and use their worry free gurantee against them....

ive done it twice already, cancelled with no ETF! but you HAVE to have a legit problem that is documented

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8703e
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    part i: -why wont bluetooth let me transfer files like my tmobile phone did? -i dont really like the red theme, what happened to the nice blue one my old samsung had? -i swear LG said this phone could play MP3s on their website

and another part that surprised me was it said using repeaters, amplifiers, or any other equipment to strengthen RF signals is grounds for canceling the contract...so basically theyre saying if you dont get service...tough...and if you try then you just wont have verizon anymore because you couldnt be satisfied with no service
    its unlimited, just as long as you dont use streaming or excessive downloading. EVDO cards are NOT replacements for your home modem, its a business tool/convenience tool.
    LG phones CAN play mp3's. red theme is supplied by verizon, and loaded by the manufacturer. same as the bluetooth, so therefore its from the manu's. YOU as a USER cannot change it.

but im sure if you word it properly to verizon, you can use it against them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CSOKI Mike
    I I never assume any electronic device will ever have anything on its screen that remotely resembles what was on the commercial.

You've never seen Sprint TV Live on a phone, have you?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast