Page 1 of 72 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Alltel V3C/V3M/K1M Monster firmwares working: A more Automated Process

Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score

Getting Alltel V3C/V3M/K1M Monster firmwares working: A more Automated Process

Ok, so there is a lot of seems, and individual file placements when flashing with an Alltel Monster firmware, and making it work on Verizon's network...

Well.. I took the time to come up with yet another way to do this...

The Benifits..
    1. No more backup/restore of each individual seem file... So you can't miss any!
    2. Backs up/restores the "secret" keys necessary for EVDO operation... no more looking with hex editor to grab them.. and insert them into another program...
    3. Makes use of P2kCommander scripts to create folders where necessary and put files onto the phone, so you don't have to do them one at a time.
    4. Once the phone is completely working with the Alltel monster, and everything is in place.. re-run the backup steps and you have a complete set of files, already configured, for your phone... So if you ever need to re-flash, just restore this new backup set.. and you are DONE!
    5. Automation means less margin for human error.

The down falls...
    1. Uses another "new" tool (RadioComm).. that you need to acquire.. (sorry, I will not post warez links!!)
    2. RadioComm has the potential to really mess your phone up!!!
    3. P2kCommander is not completely stable with CDMA phones, and some windows apps can cause it to HANG while the scripts run...
    4. You still need to manually backup the Alltel 2742 seem BEFORE you start restoring any files... And manually edit it when you are done.
    5. I only have V3C specific MMA_UCP/MMA_DCP files, so KRZR and V3M users need to be careful, as I don't know if they are the same or not!!!
    6. More powerfull tools means more chance of destroying your phone if you are not EXTRA CAREFUL!!

I have run through this 6 times on my Verizon V3C.. and it worked EVERY TIME. So as long as P2KCommander doesn't hang while the scripts run, it should work for you.

NOTE: To minimize the risk of P2KCommander hanging...
    1. Exit every app you can on your pc... make sure everything in the system tray (down by the clock) that can be exited has been exited/shut down!!
    2. Disable your Screen Saver
    3. Don't let any app steal focus
    4. As soon as you click on Execute.. do NOT touch the mouse.

Example: With Google Talk running on my laptop... P2KCommander would hang EVERY TIME!! (Gtalk not running, is fine!!)... If the screen saver kicked in... when I moved the mouse, P2KCommander was HUNG... I had to END TASK.

And while you may think you have the pre-req's installed... please go over them again per the instructions/links on my pages as I have updated some of them recently.

Usual disclaimers apply... This voids your warranty, Use at your own risk... don't hold me responsible... etc...

Ok... so here is the link -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/Monster2.htm

Tell me what you think....

When discussing problems.. please state the following...

1. which phone model you have (V3C, V3M or K1M)
    2. the version number of the application you are running (please be specific and do not state "latest version")
    3. Any/all error messages (Exact text please!!)
    4. SPECIFIC DETAILS of your problem. (Don't just say "It doesn't work")...
    5. DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP!!! POST IN THIS THREAD!!!
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 01-17-2007 at 10:15 PM.
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!

New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Nice job Mark!

Very curious to see some K1m users apply this method and see if it works without any changes.

It is very likely that this will become a discussion of the use of RadioComm, which is inevitable and not a bad thing.

Congrats!
    kbman

Droid RAZR M/HD MSM8960 does HSPA+ on US GSM carriers!

If we knew what we were doing, they wouldn't call it research. - Albert Einstein

Read more, post less.

Device(s)
    Samsung u740
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    awesome write up... exactly what I've been looking to find on here!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    PS: In addition to the info listed in -> http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...rface#Benefits

As for what is possible when using the Alltel firmwares... I hope I'm not leaving anything out when I say.... if you follow the guides 100%, and don't miss any steps, you'll end up with...

1. Moto UI
    2. True Moto Skin support (add your own later)
    3. Get-It-Now
    4. Mobile Web
    5. SMS/text messaging
    6. MMS/Pix Messaging
    7. Bluetooth Profiles (DUN, Handsfree/headset, BT OBEX File Transfer Profile, BT OBEX Object Push Profile)
    8. ability to use #777 DUN at EVDO speeds
    9. ability to do "free wap"
    10. ability to use alternate PIX server...
    11. LOSS Of VZ NAV... (Alltel firmware is NOT location based services enabled, so VZNav will install/launch/draw map, but its GPS functions DO NOT work).
    12. V3C/K1M users loose the Verizon Music Player
    13. V3C/K1M users loose the ability to Sync with Windows Media Player
    14. Moto UI's Media Gallery can play MP3's, make play lists, shuffel, etc. V3C users are limited by the "40meg" built into the phone, only about 35ish available).
    15. ALL 4 directions on the nav button are programable (unlike VZW UI which only down is...)
    16. No seem edits needed to fully make use of MPT and BitPim's features.

I don't subscribe to Vcast, so I can't comment, nor can I comment on other capabilities of the V3M/K1M's multimedia features.

I know there is more i'm forgetting...

Device(s)
    Droid running Chevyno1's ROM & OC'd to 1.1Ghz
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Nice write up bud, seeing as both by v3m & v3c are already flashed, I may have to go buy a K1m now and test this method out and let you know how it works out.

In all honesty your first Monster1 write up worked perfectly as long as you follow each and every step in the order you have them listed. I've used that guide at least 5 times since you posted it and have yet to run into an issue getting anything to work on any of the phones that I flashed. But I will say the back ups are the key to making life easy tho.

Quick thx to all you guys who are involved in putting this info together. Peace

Device(s)
    Verizon V3m w/ Alltel V3m NCR_01.1A.00R
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Does this work? Wouldnt verizon still be monitoring the EVDO network? I hope I am wrong on this

Device(s)
    Motorola Maxx VE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I am trying to enable vcast and am using this guide. I have everything else working on the alltel V3m monster. My problem is when trying to click on the 12513.p2kc and 13478.p2kc files, (when using p2k commander v3.2.6 and pst 7.2.5), the program seems to freeze and only downloads parts of the files. It says generic failure and volume name fail. I have even tried overwriting all the files with bitpim and even though it says they are successful, it still doesn't show up when I restart the phone. Is there something I am missing? In step 4 i am not using the system.p2kc file cause I already have data working.

Device(s)
    HTC Tilt - AT&T
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wow, now that is an impressive write up. I'm motivated to flash back to verizon and do it all again, both for the practice and to have a more complete Alltel to vzw conversion. Thanks!

One question though: are all the files you need to backup (10.KEY, nvm, mip, etc) specific to each handset, or can I just grab my verizon old verizon k1m, snag the backup files, and copy them to my alltel phone? I'd love to get this stuff working w/o reflashing back to vzw if possible.
    Last edited by robbyb413; 01-18-2007 at 08:11 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lshatch
    I am trying to enable vcast and am using this guide. I have everything else working on the alltel V3m monster. My problem is when trying to click on the 12513.p2kc and 13478.p2kc files, (when using p2k commander v3.2.6 and pst 7.2.5), the program seems to freeze and only downloads parts of the files. It says generic failure and volume name fail. I have even tried overwriting all the files with bitpim and even though it says they are successful, it still doesn't show up when I restart the phone. Is there something I am missing? In step 4 i am not using the system.p2kc file cause I already have data working.
    WHAT VERSION NUMBER OF P2KCOMMANDER???

Like I said...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    3. P2kCommander is not completely stable with CDMA phones, and some windows apps can cause it to HANG while the scripts run...
    If P2KCommander is hanging.. again, exit ALL APPLICATIONS and DO NOTHING ELSE...

You should be able to delete the files, one at a time using P2kCOmmander, and write/overwrite using BitPim if necessary...

[edit]Also of note... on the Alltel V3C wiki it mentions "you will not be able to create /a/brew_preloads with 3.2.9."... I USE v3.26... and in teh past used 3.22, but I have NOT used any newer version... so I am not sure of this impact with v3.29 like the Wiki states![/edit]

Quote Originally Posted by lshatch
    In step 4 i am not using the system.p2kc file cause I already have data working.
    You do need the system.p2kc as it drops a correct a /a/brew/mod/brewappmgr/alltelappmgr.bar onto the phone which impacts Get-it-Now, and therefore Vcast.

Also, it drops /a/dmu/10.key onto the phone wich is needed for EVDO data.
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 01-18-2007 at 09:58 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincyball
    Does this work? Wouldnt verizon still be monitoring the EVDO network? I hope I am wrong on this
    Yes, it works. I can connect, and stay connected... no additional hacks to the phone... (verizon firmware needs Hacks to make DUN work)

BUT AGAIN... You need to be aware of, and follow, Verizon's policies and Terms Of Service on Tethering an EVDO Phone... But that is better discussed in -> EVDO Tethering (Discuss in this Thread Only!)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Some more info on P2kCommander hanging...

On my work laptop... I was using the P2K.INF/P2K.SYS which reported v2.5... P2KCommander would hang as soon as I picked P2K Mobile Phone from the drop down.

Changed to the Moto Dev v2.62 drivers (see the PRE-REQS in the write up)... and P2KCommander consistently works! No other change to the system.

Hope this helps others!!

Just an example of why I said...
    And while you may think you have the pre-req's installed... please go over them again per the instructions/links on my pages as I have updated some of them recently.

Device(s)
    Centro X 2, Blackberry
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon,
    Feedback Score
    Nice...Once again, thanks for all your time and effort.
    Acts 17:27
    "His purpose in all of this was that the nations would seek after GOD and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him-though he is not far from any of us"

By the way, there is absolutely NOTHING in the Constitution about "Separation of Church and State"! This is Fact!!

Article one was to keep Government out of religion, not Religion out of Government!!!

Device(s)
    Moto V9m (Flashed VzwPR)
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Great Job, Mark! Your work makes owning a Verizon phone tolerable.

Device(s)
    Moto V9m (Flashed VzwPR)
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    One quick question about the new method for Mark, or anyone else who has tried it:

Will it fix GIN so that one press of END gets you out? I've flashed 3 different phones on the old instructions, and always end up having to hit CLR to back out of GIN, or any GIN apps.

Thanks!

Device(s)
    moto Q, iphone 3g
    Carrier(s)
    verizon, At&T
    Feedback Score
    i was getting the same issue with GIN and Music players. I haven't found any fix for it yet.

P.S. I could have swore a made a post to this thread yesterday and it is nowhere to be found. In a nutshell it said thanks Mark_Venture.

Page 1 of 72 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast