Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson T616
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile still considering sale/merger of T-Mobile USA

From http://www.t-mobile-international.co...l?w=1003&h=798

[...]

Chief Executive Officer Kai-Uwe Ricke said Monday that the company is in talks with rivals about a possible sale or merger of T-Mobile USA. That was the first time since November it has acknowledged negotiations. "From our current viewpoint T-Mobile USA is and remains an integral part of our international strategy," Obermann said. "However, the U.S. market may be on the brink of a consolidation, and we can’t exclude ourselves from participating."

[...]

Device(s)
    Nokia 6682
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    When the roaming agreement between Cingular and AT&T was announced, I was thinking one reason T-Mobile may not have been included was if it wouldn't matter in the future...ie, Cingular or AT&T ate them up. After all, with the oldest and most built-out GSM network in the US, I think T-Mobile's licenses and POPs are pretty valuable commodities.

Device(s)
    RIM Blackberry 8700c
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I hope AT&T, Cingular, and T-Mobile all merge. That would be the ideal situation - maximum coverage. I've been in several places now where AT&T GSM has been and T-Mobile didn't have service.
    Washington D.C.
    Cingular Wireless
    Blackberry 8700c, PalmOne Treo 650, SE T616 > T637, Nokia 6610, SE T68i , SE T300

Device(s)
    Nokia 6682
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    That would be huge! Once TDMA customers are migrated to GSM, it would also mean more GSM customers than Verizon's CDMA subs!

Prolly wouldn't stand up to antitrust reviews though.

Device(s)
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by GTwinkie
    I hope AT&T, Cingular, and T-Mobile all merge. That would be the ideal situation - maximum coverage. I've been in several places now where AT&T GSM has been and T-Mobile didn't have service.
    I don't see that ever happening. It would be almost a monopoly. The FTC would probably never allow it. Look at other countries and you'll see that there are competing GSM carriers and sometimes as many as five carriers in some countries.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Device(s)
    RIM Blackberry 8700c
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by littlefuzzbear
    I don't see that ever happening. It would be almost a monopoly. The FTC would probably never allow it. Look at other countries and you'll see that there are competing GSM carriers and sometimes as many as five carriers in some countries.
    Yeah... wishful thinking. But, if DT were to sell T-Mobile USA... who else would they sell it to?

The only reason I suggested that they three would merge is from the original quote: "However, the U.S. market may be on the brink of a consolidation, and we can’t exclude ourselves from participating"

Device(s)
    Now - HTC Wizard, SE W810i, Pana X701, Ercssn T68
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    But, if DT were to sell T-Mobile USA... who else would they sell it to?
    Vodafone.

Device(s)
    Sanyo 7400
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Dammit why couldn't AT&T make some type of a deal with T-Mobile? Spectrum issues. Stupid 850 which will help no one because it will only be deployed in certain cities. Not even in New York where would could really use it. Who gives a rats a$$ then?

It was always my dream that someday AT&T and T-Mo would merge and crush Cingular to bitter defeat and death. We can pretty much forget about that now. I'm sorry but out of the 3 GSM carriers, Cingular needs to go. They offer the most *****tiest, most boring phones on the planet, have the worst customer service and that idiotic ugly orange logo! They are just plain idiots! DIE CINGULAR DIE!!! LONG LIVE T-MOBILE!!!

Device(s)
    Now - HTC Wizard, SE W810i, Pana X701, Ercssn T68
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    hahahahhaah well you are being Cingular alright hehe "Cingular"
    Anyhow...
    An ATTWS rep told me that T-Mobile refuses to do business with them... i wonder why...

Device(s)
    Samsung S105- Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if Tmobile were to sell/merge if their name would change again! I mean i've talked to people that get all confused about Tmobile cause the name changed 3 times now! I mean some people still think voicestream and aerial still exist!

maniac6i2

Houston/ Dallas/Irving, TX > Expat to India
    Device(s)
    T-Mobile MDA > T-Mobile DASH
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile/Voicestream
    Feedback Score
    I mentioned about T-Mo being bought over by one of the Baby Bells around a month back.

No one cared to listen :P hehe..

PS: So whether it is ATT or Cingular.. it will be nice basically to have them all have inter-network free roaming agreements.

Implies => HUGE GSM Coverage

Houston/ Dallas/Irving, TX > Expat to India
    Device(s)
    T-Mobile MDA > T-Mobile DASH
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile/Voicestream
    Feedback Score
    I mentioned about T-Mo being bought over by one of the Baby Bells around a month back. (internal sources.. )

No one cared to listen :P hehe..

PS: So whether it is ATT or Cingular.. it will be nice basically to have them all have inter-network free roaming agreements.

Implies => HUGE GSM Coverage

Device(s)
    T-Mobile MDA II w/Plantronics M3000 (Primary)
    Carrier(s)
    E-Plus (DE)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by GTwinkie
    I wonder what they would call the new company if that ever came true. T-Mobattcing? Or Cingatttmob? Lol it sounds silly but seriously, it is unlikely that the FTC would allow such a large-scale merger. I agree with Devis, Vodafone seems to be quite serious in selling its majority stake in VZW and if that happens anytime soon, Vodafone will definitely a jump for one of the US GSM providers. Both T-Mobile and Vodafone have taken over foreign networks outside of their native countries and rebranded to their corporate names and then the country after it. I.e. Ben NL is now T-Mobile NL and Mannesmann D2 (Germany) is now Vodafone D2.

Right now anything is possible in the US GSM market . We'll wait and see.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6682
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    would've been cool though if cingular or at&t waited a year or two, and just started deploying wcdma! or they should've scooped up voicestream and started switching over markets one by one to wcdma. too bad about the internet bubble!

Device(s)
    Samsung E715
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (an ex T-Mo manager who signed a 1 year contract...idiot!)
    Feedback Score
    I can honestly say that since I have been with this company (18 mos. now) that I have never seen more signs pointing to a sale/merger. I am an employee, so I am reluctant to divulge any specifics on what I base my opinion on (and that is all it is...just an opinion), but things do seem to be going that way.
    Plus the fact that DT needs to reduce some of it's debt load. I would love to say otherwise, but I don't forsee us having another year like we did last year (adding 2.7 million subs). There are no more Californias or markets of that size/caliber to launch.
    T-Mobile is a great company to work for...very classy. All in all, this company gives our customer the ability to 'Get More', and I would hope that whomever we do end up being sold to or merge with, would hold that commitment as true as we do now. Time will tell all...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast