Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: T-Mobile reports Q4 and full year 2006 results - UMTS deployed at 1200 sites in NYC

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lititz, PA
    Posts
    3,271
    Device(s)
    Moto Cliq
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0

    T-Mobile reports Q4 and full year 2006 results - UMTS deployed at 1200 sites in NYC

    http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070301/20070228006332.html?.v=1

    Highlights:

    - 901,000 total net new customers added in the fourth quarter of 2006, exceeding 25 million total customers milestone
    -- Strong postpay ARPU of $56 in the fourth quarter of 2006, up from $54 in the fourth quarter of 2005
    -- Data ARPU was 12.5% ($6.50) of blended ARPU in the fourth quarter of 2006, up from 9.1% in the fourth quarter of 2005

    The introduction of two-year contracts earlier in 2006 continued to prove popular with customers, with over three quarters of new postpay customers opting for two-year contract terms in the fourth quarter.

    Postpay churn declined to 2.1% in the fourth quarter of 2006 from 2.3% in the third quarter of 2006 and the fourth quarter of 2005. Blended churn, including both postpay and prepaid customers, was 2.9% in the fourth quarter of 2006, level with the fourth quarter of 2005, and slightly down from 3.0% in the third quarter of 2006.

    The number of postpay converged device users (which is defined as including BlackBerry and Sidekick device users only) increased to almost 1.6 million by the end of the year, a net increase of over 200,000 users in the quarter. Strong growth in messaging continued to contribute to the increase in data ARPU. The total number of SMS and MMS messages increased to almost 13 billion in the fourth quarter of 2006, compared to 9.9 billion in the third quarter of 2006 and 5.4 billion in the fourth quarter of 2005.

    As part of its ongoing commitment to network coverage and quality, T-Mobile USA added approximately 800 new cell sites in the fourth quarter of 2006, and 3,200 for 2006 as a whole, bringing the total number of cell sites to more than 36,000. In addition, T-Mobile USA has started rolling out its UMTS network and has already deployed 3G equipment on over 1,200 cell sites in the New York metropolitan area.

    If you're interested in other ARPU, CCPU, net income ($179M) and all the other numbers, it's in the PR.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Cephiro
    Posts
    2,723
    Device(s)
    BB Bold 9780
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US - myFaves
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cheerioboy26
    The introduction of two-year contracts earlier in 2006 continued to prove popular with customers, with over three quarters of new postpay customers opting for two-year contract terms in the fourth quarter.
    Should we be surprised? It's not like you can even get a 1-year anymore. Whether you're new or existing, you need to either call or ask for a 1-year at a direct store. No online, nothing else. So it goes without saying that 2-years will be perceived as the most popular, although from a value perspective; it's a waste. $50=double the term? Hardly seems like an exciting consumer choice, no wonder they've removed any trace or choice of doing of a 1-year online. It would be too easy to actually let customers decide for themselves and compare the value.
    Last edited by MagicKnight; 03-01-2007 at 07:57 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,701
    Device(s)
    HTC G1 - Tmobile
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (just the big pink T for now)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cheerioboy26
    In addition, T-Mobile USA has started rolling out its UMTS network and has already deployed 3G equipment on over 1,200 cell sites in the New York metropolitan area.
    Im not sure if I am excited or scared of this. It was rumored that T-Mobile had already begun installing 3G equipment long before the Sept auction completed, so in theory it has taken them over 6 months to install to one city. This doesn't give me much hope of getting 3G within the next 2 years

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    110
    Feedback Score
    0
    Is there anyone in NYC that can confirm the UMTS is up and running?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    94553
    Posts
    5,478
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 3560freak
    Im not sure if I am excited or scared of this. It was rumored that T-Mobile had already begun installing 3G equipment long before the Sept auction completed, so in theory it has taken them over 6 months to install to one city. This doesn't give me much hope of getting 3G within the next 2 years

    Its like everyone else, the first market takes awhile as everyone "learns" how to deploy it. Sure they bring in consultants and technicians from the manufacturer but tmobiles own engineers and technicians have to learn. Once the first market is completed deployment speeds up dramatically.

    Jeff
    HoFo Feedback



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    510
    Device(s)
    RIM BlackBerry 9700, RIM BlackBerry 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile UK
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnycs
    Is there anyone in NYC that can confirm the UMTS is up and running?
    Is it possible to test? I didn't think there were any phones yet released that use T-Mobile's 3G band.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,113
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shortdog
    Is it possible to test? I didn't think there were any phones yet released that use T-Mobile's 3G band.
    Exactly. No phone that is presently being sold has the new 3G band that T-Mobile will use.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________



    Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,113
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    I wonder if all those problems with the towers not holding calls correctly, and data services being messed up, is the cause of 3G being installed and activated on the towers.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Frederick
    Posts
    22
    Device(s)
    V330
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16
    I wonder if all those problems with the towers not holding calls correctly, and data services being messed up, is the cause of 3G being installed and activated on the towers.
    I know with the Cingular UMTS integration here in the DC area we had all weird problems like that. UMTS could not handover calls period. Somehow they would be putting new antenna's to combine umts/gms and the combiners would cause all sorts of problems.. I Think they just about got it all sorted out now.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    110
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16
    Exactly. No phone that is presently being sold has the new 3G band that T-Mobile will use.
    After a quick Wikipedia lookup of UMTS, I realize now that T-Mobile is using non-standard frequencies. I thought it could be tested with an unlocked 3G phone from another provider/market but nevermind!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,113
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnycs
    After a quick Wikipedia lookup of UMTS, I realize now that T-Mobile is using non-standard frequencies. I thought it could be tested with an unlocked 3G phone from another provider/market but nevermind!
    Not T-Mobile's fault. The FCC is the one's who auctioned off the new bands for 3G. Cingular bought spectrum too. Soon, maybe in about 2 or 3 years years, they will be selling phones with the new 3G band too.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    135
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnycs
    After a quick Wikipedia lookup of UMTS, I realize now that T-Mobile is using non-standard frequencies.
    Advanced Wireless Services ("AWS") 1700/2100 (actually 1710-1755 MHz paired with 2110-2155 MHz frequencies) "Band IV" is certainly NOT non-standard. It is also unfortunate that the Wikepedia article gets it slightly wrong here in implying that the 1700 and 2100 frequencies are two distinct "bands". The combination (one for download, the other for upload) make up what the "standard" calls "Band IV".

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    1,818
    Device(s)
    Samsung T919 Behold
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    well ive heard people gettin 3G in NY on 1900 band. something about them testing it there first before they got the spectrum.
    phone history: ericsson #? -> nokia 3390 -> nokia 5165 -> SE t68i -> nokia 6200 -> nokia 3650 -> SKII -> moto v620 -> nokia 3220 -> MOTORAZR V3 -> t-mo SDA -> MOTOSLVR L7 -> SK3 -> nokia 8390 -> nokia 6133 -> MOTORAZR V3x -> t-mo DASH -> MOTOKRZR K1 -> SE k550i -> MOTORAZR2 V8 -> SE TM506 -> Samsung t919 BEHOLD

    line 2: SK iD -> SK LX -> SK slide -> SK 08 -> SK LX 09

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    2,149
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicKnight
    Should we be surprised? It's not like you can even get a 1-year anymore. Whether you're new or existing, you need to either call or ask for a 1-year at a direct store. No online, nothing else. So it goes without saying that 2-years will be perceived as the most popular, although from a value perspective; it's a waste. $50=double the term? Hardly seems like an exciting consumer choice, no wonder they've removed any trace or choice of doing of a 1-year online. It would be too easy to actually let customers decide for themselves and compare the value.

    That's exactly what I was thinking! It's not just with T-mobile though... it seems like EVERY carrier is pushing hard for 2-year contracts now...
    - Chokaay

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    31,608
    Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    0
    900k is kinda slow net add......
    but nice to hear the customer loss goes lower too



    Optimum/Cablevision

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks