Thread: The upselling by CS is getting rediculious

Device(s)
    a cell phone
    Feedback Score

The upselling by CS is getting rediculious

Everytime now I call CS somewhere in the call they will try to upsell me a text messaging package.

And it is not so bad that they try to sell it, but they don't even bother asking me if I want it or not. Instead they automatically assume I want it and say "Wait one second and I'll add that feature to your account."

And I'll have to jump in and say "Umm I didn't say I wanted it added, don't add it."

Sprint is a phone service provider, not a used car lot.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (current)
    Feedback Score
    That is incredibly desperate, if they're going for the hard sell like that. It's also incredibly dangerous considering a rep did that to my account once, and it took three billing cycles to straighten up the mess that was made on my account as a result (including text message and data overbilling).

This is why a lot of us hold the philosophy that you shoud avoid calling *2 unless you absolutely, positively have to. The fewer opportunities they have to meddle with your account, the better.

Feedback Score
    That's why I prefer email. It offers a text record of what happened that I can easily access. While they do claim that the calls are recorded, getting those recordings would probably be a pain and it just isn't as black and white.

Just send a message/email to CS when you need something unless you absolutely have to call.

Device(s)
    DWADE/LRg sidekick3
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    and how does one message CS ?

Device(s)
    Iphone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Cross selling probably. Many large corps do it. (IE) Chase mortgage cross sells credit cards. It`s a successful strategy.

Companies are starting to want to offer other services if they offered them while a customer is talking to them at that moment.

I suppose it could be annoying and I wouldn`t want to hear but it`s an opportunity to sell.
    Last edited by chibby; 04-20-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Feedback Score
    There's a HUGE difference, though, between upselling/cross-selling and cramming/slamming. As a CSR, I upsell all the time. Where I work, it's not a requirement, and we get no commission for it. But it does add to the customer experience, if you point out features and plans that might fit their needs better. This is normal practice (although what I do is soft-sell, not hard-sell), and perfectly acceptable. Slamming/cramming, however, is not only NOT acceptable, it's illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Up-selling is a sales technique whereby a salesman attempts to have the consumer purchase more expensive items, upgrades, or other add-ons in an attempt to make a more profitable sale. Up-selling usually involves marketing more profitable services or products, but up-selling can also be simply exposing the customer to other options he or she may not have considered previously.

Examples of up-sales are adding side dishes to a food order, selling an extended service contract for an appliance, or selling luxury finishing on a vehicle. A common technique for successful up-sellers is becoming aware of a customer's background and budget, allowing them to better understand what the particular person might need. Many companies teach their employees to up-sell products and services.
    Cross-selling is the strategy of selling other products to a customer who has already purchased (or signaled their intention to purchase) a product from the vendor. Cross-selling is designed to increase the customer's reliance on the company and decrease the likelihood of the customer switching to a competitor.

Companies such as IBM also use the term 'attaching' to refer to the practice of selling other IT products at the same time as the principal product purchased by the customer. These additional products are often components of the same system as the principal product.
    Cramming is the addition of charges to a subscriber's telephone bill for services which were neither ordered nor desired by the client, or for fees for calls or services that were not properly disclosed to the consumer. These charges are often assessed by dishonest third-party suppliers of data and communication service that phone companies are required, by law, to allow the third-party to place on the bill.

Slamming is any fraudulent, unauthorised change to the default long-distance carrier or DSL internet service selection for a subscriber's line, most often made by dishonest vendors desirous to steal business from competing service providers.
    Last edited by tearsonurcheek; 04-20-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Device(s)
    HTC Trophy w/Mango
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had to call CS once for a billing problem with my u720 data card. . . They tried selling me a text messaging plan to my DATA CARD, I dont even think that's possible...but I basicly just laughed and said no :P
    AT&T Sim in my Dell Precision with an HSPA 7.2 card. . . . And my Comcast. . .

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9650
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Cingular 8525: HTC-8500/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

they still might of added to your account I would check your next bill
    1,000 posts 2:52 p.m March 11th, 2007
    2,000 posts 8:24 a.m February 24th, 2008

Device(s)
    BB Curve (Mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    they truly are a bunch of space cadets. they even try to sell me on features when i call on behalf of the customer and announce myself as a dealer calling on the customer's behalf. it's rare that i have to call in to activate through customer service or activations...but it usually makes me want to bang my head against a concrete wall.

as a dealer, i always offer the complete sale including features and gather up all the information necessary so that when i am forced to call in an activation manually, it is a smooth and expeditious experience. unfortunately the reps on the activation hotline try to upsell even ME on behalf of the customer nearly every time i call in.

no matter how times i list all the features needed, they continue to try upselling even more crap. i even make it a point to always list everything the customer needs and then end with "that's everything"...but it still doesn't stop them from asking "what about TEP?"...or "how about text messaging & vision?" i understand they're trying to help....but realize that you're not dealing with the customer. it's OUR job to do the selling, not the clown on the phone. they're just supposed to support us when our automated activation systems are not an option.

and it's even worse when we have to call customer care....but that's another rant...for another thread.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Tour 9650
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS - Everthing Data 450
    Feedback Score
    90% of the times I have called, the CSR always tries to get me to add "up to three more lines". Seems like they'd put that I said "no thanks, I'm not interested" on my account, and only bother me once every year or so about it. Since, if I did want another line, I think I'd have enough sense to ask for it... I noticed that the American and Canadian CSR's don't seem to ask this as often.
    My Pin: 3213E6A3

Device(s)
    BB Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    they have been calling me on my cell sometimes 3 times a day to try to get me to add a line.i dont need it nor do i want it, but they still everyday

Device(s)
    At&t 3G Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I used to work in Sprint CS. They are required and encouraged to upsell and they do get some commission for it. Atleast that's how it was about 2 1/2 years ago. Some stats were based on the number of offers and others were based on the number of sells.

Add-A-Line got you the most commission, but it was also the hardest one to sell. Texting and Vision was pretty easy to sell.

I agree that the rep the OP got did a bad job at it. I would always say something like "I see that I can give you a 3 month trial of Vision and if you decide you don't like it you can call back before the trial is up and cancel it". I didn't force it on them, just offered it.

As far as the recorded phone calls, its only random. Not every phone call is recorded, that's why they say "this phone call MAY be recorded...". And that is only used for evaluation purposes, I don't think you could even try to get a copy of the phone call unless you recorded it yourself.