Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Using unlocked blackberry pearl on fido

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Using unlocked blackberry pearl on fido

I am thinking of purchasing a rogers blackberry pearl and getting it unlocked and using it on fido. Is this possible?

Will I be able to use the full blackberry features and check my hotmail, surf the net etc?

Also I read that caller ID and such may not work if it is not a fido phone? Does this blackberry pearl use that 850mhz and how is the reception on it?

Thanks in advance.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Fido does not have true Blackberry service, however they do offer BlackberryConnect. Its meant for non-Blackberries, however an unlocked Blackberry will also work.

Be aware: Fido's service compresses email data, but NOT anything else you use. In other words, if you browse the net a lot you will use up your data a lot faster than if you were on a proper BB plan at Rogers, etc.

FIDO $60/10GB + 5 hours unlimited data
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Z30
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am using an unlocked BB Pearl and have full functionality with it. I am using BB Connect from Fido and it works fine. Don't expect Fido to support it in any way. When you buy your Pearl, make very sure that the IMEI is completely clean, meaning it was not registered or used elsewhere before (ie. Rogers, T-Mobile, Cingular etc.). If the IMEI was used before and not released from the previous carrier, you will not be able to use it with Fido's BB Connect. In my case, I purchased a brand-new Rogers Pearl and unlocked it and that unit registered perfectly the first time out.

Like CityFigers stated, only the email portion of it is compressed. You will be able to use the browser once the unit is registered with Fido via BIS (and you send the Service Books to it), but it is uncompressed data which will burn your alloted data volume very quickly. I am strictly using it for email and am doing fine with it.

As a phone, I am getting excellent reception with it. The Bluetooth connectivity is excellent on it as well since I am a heavy user of BT headsets.

Bottom line, it will work if you keep these points in mind.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Drug$toreCowboy
    I am using an unlocked BB Pearl and have full functionality with it. I am using BB Connect from Fido and it works fine. Don't expect Fido to support it in any way. When you buy your Pearl, make very sure that the IMEI is completely clean, meaning it was not registered or used elsewhere before (ie. Rogers, T-Mobile, Cingular etc.). If the IMEI was used before and not released from the previous carrier, you will not be able to use it with Fido's BB Connect. In my case, I purchased a brand-new Rogers Pearl and unlocked it and that unit registered perfectly the first time out.

Like CityFigers stated, only the email portion of it is compressed. You will be able to use the browser once the unit is registered with Fido via BIS (and you send the Service Books to it), but it is uncompressed data which will burn your alloted data volume very quickly. I am strictly using it for email and am doing fine with it.

As a phone, I am getting excellent reception with it. The Bluetooth connectivity is excellent on it as well since I am a heavy user of BT headsets.

Bottom line, it will work if you keep these points in mind.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
    I'm in the same boat. I've purchased a brand new pearl from rogers, and I'm currently having it unlocked. I just hope that the IMEI is totally clean, and I'm able to use BB Connect with Fido. Forget the web, I just want my GMail on my berry!

Is there any way to know if your IMEI is squeaky clean?

Thanks in advance, I don't know what I'd do without all the info on this forum!

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs
    Carrier(s)
    Microcell / Fido
    Feedback Score
    I will also go back on Fido. No need to surf unless it is an urgency since the screen is too small on the pearl however the email is great and the legibility in the sun is absolutely outstanding. Reception is great!

Device(s)
    8gb iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Classic City Fido
    Feedback Score
    i just bought the pearl, unlocked, and using it with my city fido account...
    let me tell you, wow! the reception is just phenomenal...... i went from using a triband phone to this, and it seems like 850 makes a HUGE difference with keeping a signal indoors as well as those common dead zones for me...

as far as getting email working, its quick and easy!! i got both my email accounts working within 5 minutes.. no need to have to check over laptop anymore!!

you're gonna love the pearl!

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs
    Carrier(s)
    Microcell / Fido
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried surfing, yahoo massager, Google talk etc?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dicin
    I have 8800 BB and using BB messenger ..works great

Device(s)
    8gb iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Classic City Fido
    Feedback Score
    yes, surfing, messenger both work great... i dont' have google tlalk, so i haven't tried it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs
    Carrier(s)
    Microcell / Fido
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the input. You guys have convinced me Fido connect is almost the same. I found out Pin to Pin is not supported at this time.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the input. You guys have convinced me Fido connect is almost the same. I found out Pin to Pin is not supported at this time.
    You can pin with fido on BB connect 8800 here works no problem

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs
    Carrier(s)
    Microcell / Fido
    Feedback Score
    So in essence there is absolutely no difference between Rogers BB and Fido connect except Fido at this time does not compress internet surfing.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    And does not support true BB service= BES.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs
    Carrier(s)
    Microcell / Fido
    Feedback Score
    At this time it will not support BES however it does support BIS!!

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Easy switch! Unlocked my pearl finally today, and quickly setup my e-mail. My browser, messenger, and e-mail are all up and running perfectly.

Great success!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast