Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Security Error. Key not Recognized.

Feedback Score
    Follow up:

First rep dropped me when I asked WHY he asks for a phone number to call me back if they never do call anybody back? POOF! Dead line.

Second service rep that I talked with said that it DOES mess with the data services to switch sim cards between phones. I was listed on my account that I had an i710 and I was currently using an i730 phone. I told her that I thought it would still work fine as long as they were both Falcon phones. She said it used to work that way but not anymore. She said it might? mess with data if the phones are not the same exact same type. I switched back to my i710. Still no joy. Transfer to Level 2... Disconnected. No call back.

Device(s)
    The MAXXXXXXX
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wow, it sounds like Sprint CS agents are making their way into the Nextel side of things. Nasty.

Good luck getting this fixed. It seems far fetched that swaping SIMs would hose data; I have done it a million times across many phone models but I guess they could have introduced some crap that is messing it up now.

Go Sprint!

Quote Originally Posted by ttiiggy
    Follow up:

First rep dropped me when I asked WHY he asks for a phone number to call me back if they never do call anybody back? POOF! Dead line.

Second service rep that I talked with said that it DOES mess with the data services to switch sim cards between phones. I was listed on my account that I had an i710 and I was currently using an i730 phone. I told her that I thought it would still work fine as long as they were both Falcon phones. She said it used to work that way but not anymore. She said it might? mess with data if the phones are not the same exact same type. I switched back to my i710. Still no joy. Transfer to Level 2... Disconnected. No call back.

Device(s)
    i605
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Yes, this is what I thought. I've never run into a problem like this switching sims. Mind you, I probably haven't done it since last year sometime, but I used to do it frequently.

I'm nearly out of ideas. If I don't get any satisfaction soon I may order a data access plan on one of the phones, just to see if they might be motivated to fix the problem more if money is involved. But I don't know, this may be a word to the wise for all those people who like to upgrade your phones via ebay etc.

Quote Originally Posted by deparson
    Good luck getting this fixed. It seems far fetched that swaping SIMs would hose data; I have done it a million times across many phone models but I guess they could have introduced some crap that is messing it up now.

Device(s)
    i880, i580, i530 (nextel)
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    im hating the hybrids

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    The security key itself is a handshake done between the gateway server and the handset. Once the unit is authenticated, an encrypted security code (Key) is sent to the handset, authorizing the unit to transmit/receive packet data. The security key itself resides on the SIM card, not on the unit’s software. When security won’t enable on a unit, it is either because the gateway server is rejecting the SIM, the SIM itself has an error, or the handset is not transmitting correctly.

Because you duplicated the error in more than 1 unit, you can rule out the handset itself as the culprit. Because you made to ITCSS (Used to be called Tier II), you likely have already had an IP change / master reset done. The one thing that ITCSS may not yet have done is to delete and readd the IP from the gateway server.

If this does not correct the error, the culprit is going to be the SIM card. (Which is the most common cause of this error.)

There are currently no outages posted for this error. Typically if there is a network issue, it will affect multiple subscribers resulting in an outage trigger. (Which does happen from time to time.)

Hope this helps, you can bypass some of the hold time by calling care and asking directly for IT CSS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greatbiscuit
    ...you likely have already had an IP change / master reset done. The one thing that ITCSS may not yet have done is to delete and readd the IP from the gateway server.

If this does not correct the error, the culprit is going to be the SIM card. (Which is the most common cause of this error.)

Hope this helps, you can bypass some of the hold time by calling care and asking directly for IT CSS.
    I remember at least once somebody from TierII saying that they were resetting the IP. I don't know if they were actually deleting and re-adding the IP or just somehow resetting.

They did have me swap SIM cards one time when I called. Maybe the other SIM had the same issue?

I will try calling again tomorrow and have them swap my service to another phone that I know has had good service and a known good SIM card.

Thanks. Will keep you updated.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I am not sure if this is the same kind of problem. But when I attempt to go on the web I get "Internet Service Not Enabled". I have the globe and can text. I have done master resets and refresh & restarted the browser. I am going to the service center and try swapping and if that doesn't work, attempt to call TIER II

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greatbiscuit
    If this does not correct the error, the culprit is going to be the SIM card...
    ...Hope this helps, you can bypass some of the hold time by calling care and asking directly for IT CSS.
    Thanks for that pointer that maybe got me headed in the right direction.

I think I may have gotten this figured out. ...at least working for now. Didn't even have to go to TierII.

I called again on Friday. I asked to switch service to a completely different phone. The phone that I switched to is an i836 that I know was fully functional and had quit being used because the flip had been broken. I have gotten a new front flip and replaced it. The switch of service went fine and the phone worked fine.
    The internet worked fine!
    Well, yeah! That IS what I wanted.

The CS rep said that the SIM number that I was using in this phone identified that it was an OLD low capacity card. I asked her to switch my service to another SIM card. The card that I tried switching to is probably the other one that I was using before the current prior one, neither one worked for internet previously. Switch service: "Security Error. Key not Recognized". At least it is consistant. It must be that BOTH of those cards are somehow defective. Apparently I have TWO of these SIM cards that have this problem with "Security Error. Key not Recognized".

I had the CS rep switch my service to another card that I KNOW was functional. Actually this one is the Black colored SIM card that I took out of my ic402 hybred phone. She said she didn't know if it would work, thought it was probably different. She said the numbers looked like normal SIM numbers, though and it works fine. I am LEAVING it alone for now!

I still have a couple of other SIM cards that I haven't tried with internet service. I know these other cards worked fine with regular phone and Direct Connect service, but so did these other two SIM cards that I am now keeping in quarantine as 'suspect'.

Did I REALLY get this figured out? I dunno. Maybe since the SIM card that I am currently using is one that was used with a hybred phone, it causes something to be different and allows it to work on this other phone.

Bottom line: Try a DIFFERENT SIM CARD.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Well my problem has been solved. After working with TIER I & TIER II for several hours this weekend and being told that I don't have a internet package. My phone would lockup whenever I would take a picture so I figured it was the software(newest version) or the IC board. Brought it into my trusty Service Center and they reloaded the software and that fixed everything. I am was disappointed in Data Support. I think most of the employee's are Sprint Centric employee's and didn't understand the plan I had which is a old Nextel Two-Way text plan that included free basic web. Eventually they will have a "scrubber" go thru the system and wipe this plan I have since it's so old and Nextel only offered it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2