Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: DENIED INTERVIEW because NO SUIT??

Feedback Score
    i love how many people want to jump in and comment on how this is tmobile being the bad guy here when in fact it was just 1 manager that was an idiot. tmobile probably doesn't even know that he is conducted business/interviews this way.

Device(s)
    SE W810i, nokia 6680, BB 8700G
    Carrier(s)
    T-MOBILE
    Feedback Score
    I never said T-Mobile is being the bad guy, its just that many managers in the cell phone industry see corporate jobs as the most coveted and that in alot of cases it's like applying for an executive job. I've never had a job where I had to wait 3 months to get hired. Managers in all cell phone companies seem to think that you're applying for some extravigant job that will eventually lead to a CEO position, when in turn, you'll probably make it past a manager. High paying jobs require education and when over 98% of the people who are sales reps never completed college (my region), there's only so far you can go. Point being, a job shouldn't be held over people as being more than it is, selling cell phones and cell phone company managers do that.

Device(s)
    Motorola RAZR V3 - silver
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Family plan 700, unlimited sms/mms, 2x T-MobileWeb
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Nokia 6030b: Nokia6030b/2.0 (5.24) Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile__Man
    A good rule of thumb is to wear to your interview the same type of clothing you would wear on the job. Following that advice, a shirt and tie with nice slacks would have been appropriate. However, if you're wearing a shirt and tie with tennis shoes, that doesn't fly, if you haven't shaved in a week, that doesn't fly, if you didn't comb your hair and look like you just rolled out of bed, that doesn't fly. Much can be told about someone's professionalism in a few short minutes by looking at their manner of dress.
    In business school, I learned to dress one step better than what I would wear daily in the position, but never better than the interviewer. So if I expected to wear a tie and dress slacks to work, I would add a sportcoat or full suit for the interview.

Following this advice has worked well for me, every interview has resulted in a job for me. I want to stand out, not look like everyone else.

In any event, taking the facts at face value, this is clearly not illegal discrimination. If the interviewee showed up with ripped jeans and a stained t-shirt, I think we can all agree this person would be turned away for not being up to standard. But in this situation it is the manager's standard that matters, and he can set it as high (or low) as he wishes.

Device(s)
    HTC Herald (T-M Wing)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My last interview for ASM (indirect retailer) happened to be on a day where it was ~97 degrees outside with over 50% humidity...

no way in hell I'm wearing a full suit or sports coat for that !

But then again, Still had the dress shirt/pants/shoes and tie... Just didn't stay outside long... You gotta go out of your way for interviews...

As for no suit = no interview, one could say the employer used that as an excuse to discriminate on another basis (race, sex, etc.).. in which case a lawsuit might work.. but yeah...

unless it was 100+ humid heat outside, I don't see why you wouldn't wear the suit..

Device(s)
    Motorola V360/Blue
    Feedback Score
    thats messed up
    not everyone can afford a suit

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SystematicChaos
    Actually.. yea some Manager-types can have weird requirements. I actually went to one interview in slacks, shirt and tie but no sportjacket. I'm a software architect and developer and it was for a senior dev position. The manager who came up to interview me said; "Good god, man.. get rid of that tie! You're lucky you didn't show up wearing a sportcoat.. I'd have figured you were lying on your resume if you had done *that*!"
    Doesn't really surprise me. For a software developer position in the Seattle area you're better off with business casual in most environments. If you showed up in a suit or even just a shirt and tie, you'd just make people uncomfortable and actually damage your credibility. That's the last thing you want to do in an interview. Many of the people interviewing you might be in shorts, sandals, and T-shirts this time of year.

I'm writing this as someone who works in a software company in the Seattle area, manages software developers, and interviews 2-3 people a week, mostly software developers, managers, systems folks.

The safest practice is to ask the recruiter or whoever your contact is how to dress. The expectations for a retail position at XYZ cellular are going to be different than for a software developer position at a tech company on the West Coast. The general rule about dressing one "level" above the folks who are interviewing you is probably good, but if you have doubts, ask.
    Last edited by mch; 08-11-2007 at 02:15 AM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    unlocked apple iphone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 123okgo
    This is for a friend who recently had an interview with T-Mobile and according to what my friend said, the "Manager" denied the interview because he wasn't wearing a suit. He had a nice pressed shirt and Slacks on with a tie. Is this is fair? Is this discrimination? What can be done? Should it be reported?
    By the way, this was for a "Sales Rep" position.

welp......... you could always get a suit
    My opinions and statements are not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by T-Mobile USA
    or Deutsche Telekom AG, and do not reflect their policies or procedures.
    Life is better when you stick together!

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T; Digicel
    Feedback Score
    If this was in the US, then although he was discriminated against it could not be considered legally actionable unless the basis was one of the protected categories per Federal Law, i.e. -- race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability or national origin. (to name the ones I readily remember). He would also have to prove that he was qualified for the job and might have otherwise gotten the job (not as easy to prove.)

However, the interviewer has every right to consider a potential interviewee unfit if he feels their appearance does not reflect what the company choses to project as its image.

But, the person might have a case with T-Mo directly if there is not a clear dress-code outline for the company or the company feels that interview dress is not grounds for refusal. However, the person needs to 100% certain this was the ONLY issue. If the company speaks with the interviewer and other employees and finds out that there were other mitigating factors, or that the dress code issue was valid, the interviewee may not have any recourse.

Can't sue... but you should ask questions.
    PSA: karibOS is FEMALE

karibOS v6.17

lisa: "the simpsons are going to canada!" homer: "awwww, why leave America to go to america, jr.?"

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8820 (WiFi/UMA/GPS)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile w/ [email protected]
    Feedback Score
    No offense, but if a company is THAT anal, I wouldn't wanna work for them anyways.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 123okgo
    This is for a friend who recently had an interview with T-Mobile and according to what my friend said, the "Manager" denied the interview because he wasn't wearing a suit. He had a nice pressed shirt and Slacks on with a tie. Is this is fair? Is this discrimination? What can be done? Should it be reported?
    By the way, this was for a "Sales Rep" position.
    LOL...does Jack in the Box require you to wear a suit to an 'interview' now?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    As another post already said, this is a very old school train of thought. Employers need to get over the "gotta wear a suit or you're scum" attitude. You can dress a monkey in a suit, that doesnt mean you want him working for you.

You cant always judge a book by its cover & many MANY brilliant people in the tech industry dont even own a suit, especially on the west coast. Its just the way it is nowadays. Best thing to do in an interview? Get to know them by actually TALKING to them. What a concept! So, this is very odd because it seems T-Mobile is a progressive & down to earth company.

Now, I dont mean you should just roll outta bed & go to a interview, but this is a bit much.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile HTC HD2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Here's what it comes down to: The employer doesn't have to get over anything! You want the job? You gotta get over the "I'll wear what I wanna wear to the interview" mindset. You are the one trying to get something from someone - not the other way around. They want you in a suit? Wear a fricken suit or stay home.

This is not the Tech industry. You are dealing with the public. If you show up looking unprofessional on an interview, why would a manager think you'll do any better on the selling floor?

On the other hand...

There has to be something more to the story than what the OP states. Was everybody trying for this job wearing a suit? Was the interviewer wearing a suit? What about the friend don't we know? What else about him/her would make a manager not want to give an interveiw because he/she wasn't on a suit?
    United States of America 1776 - 2001 RIP

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dkb218
    Here's what it comes down to: The employer doesn't have to get over anything! You want the job? You gotta get over the "I'll wear what I wanna wear to the interview" mindset.
    Did I say that?? I didnt say that, did I. This is about wearing a suit VS wearing some nice dress clothes to a retail sales interview. Not rolling in wearing jeans & a T-shirt with greasy hair, so don't put words in my mouth. OK. You know what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by dkb218
    They want you in a suit? Wear a fricken suit or stay home.
    Then that should have been communicated with him before he showed up. Especially if it was this strict to actually turn someone away for it.

Anyways, for a T-Mobile sales position?? Who thinks it would be an absolute necessity to wear a suit to an interview for that??? Im not downplaying the position, but it is wireless retail after all, where you wear a polo shirt, khakis, and even bathrobes ([email protected] launch). Yeah, thats pretty snazzy attire.

If there arent any hidden facts about this from the original poster, then the manager was just a douche. Case closed.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile HTC HD2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup
    Did I say that?? I didnt say that, did I. This is about wearing a suit VS wearing some nice dress clothes to a retail sales interview. Not rolling in wearing jeans & a T-shirt with greasy hair, so don't put words in my mouth. OK. You know what I meant.
    Did I say you said that? My response was to the thread in general.

Then that should have been communicated with him before he showed up. Especially if it was this strict to actually turn someone away for it.
    I kinda thought that this was general knowledge when going on an interview.

Anyways, for a T-Mobile sales position?? Who thinks it would be an absolute necessity to wear a suit to an interview for that??? Im not downplaying the position, but it is wireless retail after all, where you wear a polo shirt, khakis, and even bathrobes ([email protected] launch). Yeah, thats pretty snazzy attire.
    You may be right. I look at it like this. If you really want the job, go the extra mile.
    ... then the manager was just a douche. Case closed.
    I totally agree.......

Device(s)
    Blackberry Pearl
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by penk
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

There is a recommended dress code for interviews, but it cannot possibly be applied to every profession or*position, hence no "official dress code".* This is not to suggest one's attire will not be considered in the evaluation process - it most certainly will, and should - but no one should be denied an interview on basis of dress.
    As for "suits for women", yes of course such garments are available, but what style is required for the interview?* Is a skirted suit expected, or will she be turned away if she arrives wearing pants?
    This may all be a matter of semantics, but that's why this activity isn't permitted.* For example, "suit" doesn't exactly mean what it once did - does "suit" imply a three-piece with vest, or is a sportscoat acceptable?* Also, "business casual" is quite vague now and will vary from place to place, sometimes including jeans other times not, and footwear specifics may or may not be stated.
    Most of the previous paragraph refers to post-hire employment, so how exactly can one know with any certainty what to wear before stepping into the office?* Nothing can be taken for granted, from either side of the interview process.
    The way I figure is I dress for an interview in nice slacks and a nice blouse. (I am a woman by the way) They either like you or they don't, yes first impressions mean alot but sometimes you can be off kilt judging too quickly.
    Either they like me or they don't, either I am qualified or I'm not.
    Their loss I figure.
    I think requesting a suit from a guy is a bit much. Unless he looked like the Geiko cave man lol
    Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings, they did it by
    killing all those who opposed them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast