Thread: Pixel Question

Phone
    iPhone 8GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Pixel Question

So yesterday while using my iPhone (2 days old), I noticed a spot on the top near the "E" that looked like a stuck pixel. I can only see it on gray or white background. At first I though it was something on the screen but was still there after I cleaned it. I've seen dead/stuck pixels before and this doesn't really look like it. It almost looks like its between the LCD and the glass as it looks different depending on the angle. I could swing by and Apple store to ask, but has anyone seen anything like this? I can try to take a picture tonight. I notice it because I know its there, but it's not that bad. I know I could go swap it out, but so far everything else on the phone is fine and i don't see any other pixels. I'd hate to return it to get one with pixels in the middle or something. Any feedback?

Phone
    iPhone 2G
    Carrier
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    I feel your pain. I just got my phone about 5 days ago and I notice two spots that look like dead pixels. When I took a picture with my digi cam the spot looks smaller than the pixel. Look at the pics and tell me what you guys think.

Crop full size image

Phone
    iPhone 2G
    Carrier
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xcharliemx

I see it but.............man, please don't tell me you're thinking about returning it. I wouldn't call it a dead pixel. Looks more like some extra spacing between the pixels. Just think that if you ever drop your phone in a pile of 100 iPhones you'll be able to tell which one is yours
    Well I examined the phone a bit more with the LCD off and it is something stuck between the LCD and the glass. I may return the phone but not because of that issue. I’m getting some distortion when I listen to music. It’s happening on a couple of songs. I know it’s not the music file since my MacBook plays the files without any issues. I tried another headphone and I can still hear it but not as bad. Using different EQ setting can either make it worst or slightly better. I really don’t think this is supposed to happen.

Phone
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aznjunkie
    Well I examined the phone a bit more with the LCD off and it is something stuck between the LCD and the glass. I may return the phone but not because of that issue. I’m getting some distortion when I listen to music. It’s happening on a couple of songs. I know it’s not the music file since my MacBook plays the files without any issues. I tried another headphone and I can still hear it but not as bad. Using different EQ setting can either make it worst or slightly better. I really don’t think this is supposed to happen.
    It distorts on mine until I use the "Bass Reducer" EQ. I don't think that's abnormal.

Phone
    iPhone 4 VZW
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    knock on wood... just got mine this morning from the fedex man... and no stuck pixels that i can see (i have 7 series lcd btw)

peace

> Clearnet PCS: Nokia 6188 (1999)

-> Bell : Nokia 6185 -> Motorola ST7867W (99-01)

--> AT&T: Nokia 6360 -> Nokia 6200 - (01-04)

---> Verizon: LG VX6000 -> Motorola E815 - (04-07)

----> Cingular/AT&T: Samsung Blackjack -> 8525 -> RAZR V3xx -> iPhone (RIP) -> iPhone 3GS - (Jan 07-Dec 09)

-----> T-Mobile: iPhone 3GS (unlock) -> Nexus One -> 9700 - (Dec 09-Jun 10 )

------> AT&T: iPhone 4 -> iPhone 3GS - (Jun '10-Mar '11)

-------> Verizon: iPhone4 - (Mar '11-TBD)

Phone
    iPhone 2G
    Carrier
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cohn
    It distorts on mine until I use the "Bass Reducer" EQ. I don't think that's abnormal.
    You're right about using "Bass Reducer." It seems as if the iPhone has an issue with songs that bass heavy. My songs that has lots of bass get distorted real easily yet my MacBook doesn't have any issues using the same headphone and same EQ setting. But then again it's a different device. So it looks like no bass for me. As a note, I'm using a different headphone since the stock can't produce bass if my life depended on it.

Also it seems like the "R&B" setting is the worst.

Phone
    iPhone 8GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aznjunkie
    yeah, mine is the same, i couldn't get a good picture of it, but i looked at it real close with the screen off and can still lightly see it. if it was in the middle i'd return it, but other than that the phone is fine so far so i don't want to take a chance. If in 10 more days more issues pop up i'll swap it out, but for now i can deal with a barely noticeable speck.

Phone
    iPhone 4 VZW
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cohn
    noticed mine does this while listening to White Stripes' Icky Thump (using the stock earbuds). Using 'Rock' EQ setting. Definite distortion. Will try this 'Bass Reducer' EQ. All I listen to is Alternative and Rock - so the dimished bass won't break my heart.

peace

Phone
    iPhone 4 VZW
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    not to turn this thread into audio discussion... but i've noticed more consistent sound with "Sound Check" turned off.... seems with Sound Check 'On' - there is a larger delta of volume levels between tracks... which is odd since sound check is supposed to equalise the "too soft" and "too loud" songs to be more even... but i think what ends up happening is Sound Check kills the dynamic range (ie. compresses the range)

cheers

Phone
    iPhone 8GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Try a pixel check at www.ipixelcheck.com