Thread: How to put Music on your phone using iTunes

Device(s)
    vx6900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

How to put Music on your phone using iTunes

The HOW TO part is found at the end of this post. I wanted to give a little background info first.

I really love my vx8550. But if it was really going to be a music phone, I wanted a good way to pick and choose music from my library to put on it. Sometimes I wanted to put entire albums, but sometimes I wanted to be able to create playlists. I had terrible luck using Verizon's Music Manager - clunky and slow. It was faster to make playlists on the phone, but even that was time consuming. Here is the best solution that I have found so far, and it is pretty quick.

I use a program called iTunes Agent found here. This program basically will sync a playlist from iTunes to a folder on a mass storage device. I tried it once, and it worked like a charm. Then I manually copied some music over to the My Music folder and deleted others. After that it didn't like it and I got an error. So then I told the program to sync to a different folder and it worked again. So it seems like it really tries to truly keep the folder you designate synced with the playlist. I didn't want that, so the following is what I do to use ITA to add music to my phone without deleting others using iTunes.

HOW TO:

1. Create a playlist in iTunes that you want to sync.

2. Download and install iTunes Agent from here

3. Set the preferences - Right click on the icon in the system tray and choose preferences.
    1. Create a new device by clicking NEW. I called mine 8550
    2. ITA needs to be able to identify your memory card as the one for your phone. I created a folder at the root called 8550 and told the program to use that to identify my phone. Under "Recognize by folder/file" type 8550.
    3. Under "Synchronize Pattern" choose flat.
    4. Under "Music Folder" type 8550.
    5. Under "Associate with Playlist" choose the name of a playlist created in iTunes that you want to sync.

4. Put your memory card from your phone in a card reader. ITA will automatically recognize it by the folder you designated.

5. Right click on the ITA icon and select synchronize devices.

6. If you want to be able to play he new files as a single playlist, do the following. Otherwise, go to step 7.
    1. Open the 8550 folder on your computer.
    2. Select all the files.
    3. Right click and choose properties.
    4. Go to the Details Tab.
    5. Change the name of the album to something else.
    6. When you go to listen to the songs on your phone, you won't go to playlists to find them, you will go to Albums.

7. Move the files to the My Music folder on your memory card and your set.

This sounds more tedious than it really is. And it is the best way I have found to easily and quickly manage my music on the phone. Hope this helps.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Hey thanks for the how-to I'm going to see how well this works. Thanks

edit: argh nevermind lol iTunes agent is windows only

Device(s)
    Motorola Maxx Ve- Probably the best phone I've ever had!
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    or you can select the songs you want in the playlist, then paste into the folder
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Device(s)
    Razr Maxx Ve
    Feedback Score
    very weird. but it's cool. nice find.

Device(s)
    LG VX8550 (Blue Mint)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    do you need a micro SD to put songs on the phone using this? if not how would you put it on the internal memory?