Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: How to: MP3 Ring tones on Branded SE Phones (Working!)

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson w580i
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    might want to update the thread title to reflect that this only applies to Rogers phones. The AT&T f/w doesn't have these drm restrictions.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by GeminiIII
    is there any drivers in device manager that show up with a yellow question mark? when you install most software that communicates with the phone, it normally installs several device drivers. maybe one of them isn't installed correctly. have a look in Modems and Ports.
    thanks for the quick reply!

the only driver with a question mark is my modem (but i don't need it)

other than that, all the drivers seem to be working however, it's detecting my phone as "Sony ericsson Device 616" --> should it be saying that?

The Fabulous City Of Colorado Springs, CO
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G in Black on T-Mobile
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Rogers doesnt allow for your own content to be used as ringtones? I have been making my own MP3 tones with my own music for YEARS & have had no issues at all....

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Wow... I have a w580 and I didn't have any problems =/
    MP3 drag drop to music folder bam, done.

I wasn't aware that locked phone included the lack of such features as stated above. Unlocked is the only way to go =)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus-D
    Wow... I have a w580 and I didn't have any problems =/
    MP3 drag drop to music folder bam, done.

I wasn't aware that locked phone included the lack of such features as stated above. Unlocked is the only way to go =)
    Not necessarily. My W600i & my Z520a were both locked. AT&T/Cingular doesnt require you to buy their content. Heck, even my Moto handsets were totally customizable. Rogers just sounds like ring tone buttheads...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    wow it detected my phone after a few restarts! thanks a lot for the help!!!

but the problem now is that when i click on "myphoneexplorer", it's a blank, there are no folders for "phone memory" and "memory card"...
    Last edited by kwokinator88; 09-05-2007 at 04:43 AM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    i right clicked and added the wrong mp3 by mistake into MyPhoneExplorer (not in phone memory or memoery stick), but it doesnt show up on the white screen, but i know its in my phone, how do i delete it?

Device(s)
    w580i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by dedalus1
    might want to update the thread title to reflect that this only applies to Rogers phones. The AT&T f/w doesn't have these drm restrictions.
    Won't let me edit this thread anymore so I can't change any of the instructions or the title.

i right clicked and added the wrong mp3 by mistake into MyPhoneExplorer (not in phone memory or memoery stick), but it doesnt show up on the white screen, but i know its in my phone, how do i delete it?
    Use the file manager on the phone. It's the icon on the left, third from the top.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by koutaro
    everything worked for me, i got the mp3 to play as ring tone last night. however, when i left it on and went to sleep, that mp3/ringtone was deleted or gone automatically from my cell phone when i woke up.

any help?
    I had the same problem. I realized that my M2 card and the stupid plastic flap were kinda loose and the memory card wasn't "in" all the way. I hope this doesn't become a big problem.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Am I missing something here? I just saved a section of an mp3 as a .wav file and put it on my memory card. I can select it as a ringtone and it works fine.

Why would I DRM / file explorer and all that trouble when I can just do this?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You have to remember that generally .wav files are larger & lower in quality than an mp3. Unless you have it majorly compressed & set at a high quality rate, it will take up alot of space on your phone. My MP3 tones range from 200-500k. As for my videotones, they range from 700k-1.1mb, since it includes video playback.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Thanks!

Vrexe's directs are perfectly correct. You just need to follow the directions properly. For those who are curious about working setting here what worked for me:

Sony Ericcson DRM packager 1.35, forward lock mode. The packager created .dm files which is correct. Navigate to "My Sony Ericcson 580" in explorer and drop the .dm file here, not in either of the two folders already there (memory stick and phone memory). The phone will acknowledge the transfer and ask is you want to use the file. choose ok and your new ringtone is done! Just follow the direction exactly as above - I tried a million ways before I re-read the instructions . . .

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I followed all of these steps, converted files to DM, etc. I can transfer the files exactly the way it says I should be able to, but when the message pops up on the phone saying "file stored in music folder on memory stick use now?" and I select yes, it STILL only gives me the option to use it as Message Alert or Alarm, and when I try to select Use as Ringtone it says "Info" then Cannot use this file. It does this whether I try it with a DM converted file or a MP3 file.
    It seems other people can get it to work...whats going on? Im pissed. I had a w600 and it transferred easily and I could use MP3's no problem as ringtones. HELPPPP me! This phone came with the crappiest ringtones I think I've ever heard

(Im on At&T)

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson w580i Gray (AT&T unlocked&Unbranded)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    vegass i had the same problem until i figure out it wasn't that AT&T was blocking mp3 ringtones but the fact that they have a filesize limit on their ringtones its like under 600kbs or something.
    hope that helps

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Aww thank you so much! I'm gonna try cutting down the files and see what happens! It just sucks that you like one brand of phone, then they go and switch things up on u, just leave the good things alone! lol

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast