Device(s)
    Galaxy S9+, iPhone 7, Netgear Nighthawk
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AJBrewer View Post
    Sorry for the thread necromancy, but it's time for the next major round of updates to hit Iowa as we move into the 4G LTE era, and AT&T finally upgrades every native AT&T EDGE tower to a minimum of UMTS (3G) by the end of 2013. So let's see some activity in this thread again as we share the latest updates!
    AT&T is still rolling out 3G in Iowa? I was there for college, left 2 years ago. Looking at the spectrum map, AT&T doesn't have a lot of 700MHz spectrum- not as much as Verizon anyway. Pockets of B and C block 700MHz is enough to cover des moines, davenport, anything east of des moines actually. Other than that AT&T just has PCS and AWS to work with so you may see LTE deployment coming very slow. They have to cram EDGE and faux 4G into that tiny space AND somehow get LTE. So I see LTE coverage being quite an uphill battle for AT&T in Iowa.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLWAT View Post
    AT&T is still rolling out 3G in Iowa? I was there for college, left 2 years ago. Looking at the spectrum map, AT&T doesn't have a lot of 700MHz spectrum- not as much as Verizon anyway. Pockets of B and C block 700MHz is enough to cover des moines, davenport, anything east of des moines actually. Other than that AT&T just has PCS and AWS to work with so you may see LTE deployment coming very slow. They have to cram EDGE and faux 4G into that tiny space AND somehow get LTE. So I see LTE coverage being quite an uphill battle for AT&T in Iowa.
    For the most part, nearly every UMTS site in Iowa's been upgraded to HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul (Faux 4G). There are very few "3G" sites still around the state.

The 3G upgrades I was referring to were the very few AT&T native towers that are still 2G / EDGE. I-35 south of Des Moines is one such example and Fort Dodge area is the other. I don't think there are any others still around. That stretch of I-35 south of Des Moines is PAINFUL. Verizon only has 1X roaming coverage and AT&T has EDGE only (albeit, native). So, no, there aren't significant amounts of UMTS upgrades still to go, but there are a few left that will be nice.

Anyhow, like you mentioned about the limited spectrum: I've seen the same thing. AT&T's holdings look very limited in Iowa. But, some of their behaviors don't seem to jive with the spectrum holdings I've seen: already, there's 70+ miles of LTE east of Des Moines, and Charles City, Jefferson, Carroll, and Hampton all just went live with new UMTS & LTE coverage. I've heard through the grapevine that I-80 will be LTE from the Missouri River to the Mississippi River by year end.

Is it possible they've acquired spectrum (possibly in a swap or sale) that we just haven't heard about? My understanding is the FCC data on their site are several months behind and doesn't reflect recent developments.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26